RPG Thread XIX is getting a rhythm game spinoff

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just pre-ordered the HD Remaster of Final Fantasy X/X-2 and bought Tales of Xillia and Valkyria Chronicles as well since I now own a PS3!
PS3 makes for a good RPG machine. I agree with GhostShark, Tales of Grace f is good too. Enjoy your new PS3. It has a huge library of great games so have fun.

Been listening to the X/X-2 HD remastered soundtrack and I'm happy with most of it. The only real disappointment is the Challenge track (my old favorite). It's lost the wicked breakdown and a lot of the intensity with it, which is a shame because it's played during the more epic boss fights. I also prefer the original Besaid Island theme, but the new rendition is a great listen nonetheless. 

Here are a few of my favorites off the remaster:

People of the North Pole - A much more pronounced violin, makes a very powerful piece that much stronger. Bagpipes are still there!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Nd4pvnkPUY

Assault - This one really pounds now. The percussion is deeper and the piano comes in crystal clear compared to the original. Plays against Evrae, if you remember.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cb9SqrSNTmg

A Fleeting Dream - Super important track to the game. Plays at the culmination of the journey and supersedes the battle theme for random encounters. This version is even steadier and its woodwinds are more somber sounding. I think it's an appropriate change.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FhYQLgd1h8I

Thunderplains - Fun track and faithful to the original. It will probably annoy everyone at some point though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RK2NmXC6goU

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, I listened to it when it was first uploaded and was impressed with most of it. My personal favorite is still Besaid Isle, but it's hard to find a truly bad track on the OST. 

I was listening to a podcast today about Working Designs Sega CD stuff...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YiLLN5U9w2U

yes.

I'm torn on the remastered music. On the one hand, the new recordings are great, but on the other, I'm a bit of a purist. Don't know if I'll ever pick this up some time (if I do, it would be for the FFX-2 International + Last Mission content and not much else), but is the original soundtrack still an option?

OH, and also, I just beat Persona 4 :D And guess what I was up to with the Chariot and Priestess Social Links on the day of the deadline-- fuck in' RANK 9. It's all good, though...

Speaking of which, I have a question about something. While playing today, I fused Alice in the Velvet Room. In the fusion menu, she was listed with a shiny purple sheen, so I'm guessing that she's special somehow. Anyone know what the deal is with that? I hadn't seen it before.

Did anyone see the awesome 3DS XL that we will never see?

Nintendo, I really hate you for making the 3DS region locked.

bR87WAs.jpg

ymV5CeH.jpg

Decided to start up Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory. So far it's the funniest one yet. I do feel the games could be so much more if they actually had a better quest system than just kill X amount of monsters or get X amount of items.

Just finished Persona 4 Golden last night, got the "true ending", I wasn't even aware there was "bad ending", guess I just naturally went with the right choices. Only annoying thing was I never developed Naoto's link because I could never find her. I found the random guy by the bookstore but I never saw her anywhere to get the link started. Now I can finally focus on Bravely Default, which I've only played a little of.

People of the Far North sounds even more Chrono-like than it did originally. It loses a little drive when the percussion drops out, as the backing chord progression is de-emphasized in the remixed version (this could, however, be the fault of my laptop speakers, which don't carry bass well, if at all), but it's still a great track.

Only annoying thing was I never developed Naoto's link because I could never find her. I found the random guy by the bookstore but I never saw her anywhere to get the link started. Now I can finally focus on Bravely Default, which I've only played a little of.
Naoto's link was the only one I never established. She wasn't hard to find, and I did the random guy thing too, but I wasn't able to meet the last requirement before it was too late.

Bravely's going to be my next major JRPG focus as well, but I might not start it for a little while (for various personal reasons).

Why you guys leaving Naoto out to dry, developmentally wise she's a better character than Chie who is only like STEAK STEAK STEAK KICK  all the time.

...okay you guys are right, my bad.

This month is hitting my wallet hard for RPG's. FFX HD remaster, Diablo 3 Expansion and Witch and the Hundred Knights ($20 Amazon glitch ftw). Also just got confirmation my $5 Tactics Orge: Let Us Cling Together has shipped.

Now to decide if I want to play Tales of Symphonia HD or FFX HD after I get tired of Diablo 3.

I'm considering it, but $40 is a bit high for two games I already beat when I've got plenty I haven't. I'll probably get it when it's like $20 on the Vita.

Yeah, this is the week of PS4 for me with Ground Zeroes and Second Son coming. I still haven't decided if I should do FFX/X2 on PS3 or Vita. Need to actually make a decision one of these days.

Also, Naoto S.Link for life.

Yeah, this is the week of PS4 for me with Ground Zeroes and Second Son coming. I still haven't decided if I should do FFX/X2 on PS3 or Vita. Need to actually make a decision one of these days.

Also, Naoto S.Link for life.
I would have had a similarly hard time deciding between the PS3 or Vita, but since the Vita version has X2 as download only, I went with the PS3.

That's a good point. My Vita card's pretty much maxed out as it is. I'm just more inclined to go handheld with beefy RPGs anymore. Don't get a ton of couch time lately  :/

On the upside, I'm super good at gaming and walking now.

I know. I played maybe 10 hours on my PS3 all year so far too. I probably would have gone with the Vita version had they both been carts. I'm out of space too, and I don't want to buy a bigger one until there's a good sale =P

Xillia is fun, though I prefer Graces f in terms of PS3 Tales games.
Xillia is fantastic. It's the game that got me back into the Tales series. I think the storytelling was fantastic. Graces on the other hand was just boring in comparison. Well, outside of combat. Seriously, Graces has the best combat system in the whole series.

I'm preparing my anus for Dark Souls II.
I'm having so much fun with it. No other game captures that sense of exploration for me. While I'm at work I'm always thinking about where I want to try to go next and which paths I haven't tried yet. It's so hard to sit in front of a computer all day and avoid spoilers!

So, maybe I can get some help here. I dunno. I got my copy of FFX/X-2 HD and when I went to play the game, it booted up normally, but once I selected FFX it hit me with a prompt that said "Trophy Installation Failed" or something along those lines. Troubleshooting shows that deleting the profile and doing a reformat should fix the problem, but it didn't. So, uh, yeah. I dunno if this is a problem with my PS3 or with the game.

Xillia is fantastic. It's the game that got me back into the Tales series. I think the storytelling was fantastic. Graces on the other hand was just boring in comparison. Well, outside of combat. Seriously, Graces has the best combat system in the whole series.
I often hear about how much people really liked Graces. I played for about 12 hours and found it incredibly boring, both story and battles. I liked a few of the characters but not enough to keep me going. I was told the battles get more in depth but I must have quit before it got to that point.

Could you guys explain why you liked Graces so much? I'm not fishing for an argument I'm just curious as it might re-spark interest for me.

I've played most games in the series, Vesperia & Abyss being tied for my favorite. I really couldn't pick one over the other. Xillia was good but I missed some of the traditional JRPG staples.

Could you guys explain why you liked Graces so much? I'm not fishing for an argument I'm just curious as it might re-spark interest for me.
For me, it was 99% the battles. Until ƒ. Then it was probably 70% battles, and 30% skits.

If you don't like the battles, there's not much else to say. However, the battle system is relatively deep, bordering on an easy fighting game. You can use up your movement dashing forward, get them back dodging and "parrying" (I forgot what dashing forward to deflect an attack was called), circle around mobs, combo a ton of hits, etc. I enjoyed it a lot even on my second playthrough of Chaos mode because of it. There's a lot of timing involved, so it's like a QTE with various choices, or a rhythm game, or like an easy aforementioned fighting game.

I often hear about how much people really liked Graces. I played for about 12 hours and found it incredibly boring, both story and battles. I liked a few of the characters but not enough to keep me going. I was told the battles get more in depth but I must have quit before it got to that point.

I've played most games in the series, Vesperia & Abyss being tied for my favorite. I really couldn't pick one over the other. Xillia was good but I missed some of the traditional JRPG staples.
I think it picks up as you get going (I think I spent over 60 hours on it if you count the epilogue stuff so 12 hours is only a small chunk), but the battle system is definitely the highlight. Tales games are basically like gaming comfort food for me, you pretty much know what you are getting but it's still real enjoyable. I'd still rank Vesperia & Xillia better though.

It's all about the battles and Pascal. I played on the hardest difficulty which forced me to be very knowledgeable about party structure, strategy, and the battle mechanics. I recommend raising the difficulty if you are finding the combat to be lackluster, but trust me, once the challenge hits, you'll become an expert at combat because you'll have no other choice. While the combat system seems deep, you can get the hang of it with time, though it depends if you want to master playing as the other characters.

Speaking of which, the characters are pretty good. Unfortunately, they are placed in a pretty boring story, but once the credits rolled, I genuinely felt sad that the journey with the cast was over. In all honesty though, Pascal's behavior was the most exciting part of the story for me.

whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat?!?!?! I was on the eshop purchasing Yumi's Odd Odyssey,

only to discover that this exists:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bZ6G4vMoPF4

is it an RPG?!?!?!

omg I dont care I frikken need $15 now!!!

I think it's an environmental puzzle game? I love MCoG, but have heard mixed things about this game. It's on sale on Steam right now if you want to let us know how it is ;) - http://store.steampowered.com/app/261940/

Speaking of RPG-looking things that aren't RPGs, should I get the 360 version of P4 Arena or the PS3 one? Note that I don't have a PS3 right now, but am definitely going to get one sometime.

Speaking of RPG-looking things that aren't RPGs, should I get the 360 version of P4 Arena or the PS3 one? Note that I don't have a PS3 right now, but am definitely going to get one sometime.
I would hold off until the suplex update comes out just so you know which one to get if any.

good news! I'm ready to play Bravely Default again!!

but if none of my friends list are playing anymore then I really needa be conservative and save the attacks they sent me lol.

bad news! I've done an absolutely terrible job celebrating the Year of the Saturn

:cry:

#yearoftheSaturn

So I started Etrian Odyssey IV last night. (Mainly because I forgot to charge my Vita and continue Galaxy Rush).

I set it to Normal, made a party, and then started the first quest. Uh.....There's no map on the bottom screen? Or is that just a reward for the first quest?

So I started Etrian Odyssey IV last night. (Mainly because I forgot to charge my Vita and continue Galaxy Rush).
I set it to Normal, made a party, and then started the first quest. Uh.....There's no map on the bottom screen? Or is that just a reward for the first quest?
It's been awhile, but I think a soldier or some other NPC gives you the mapmaking stuff early on?

bad news! I've done an absolutely terrible job celebrating the Year of the Saturn

:cry:

#yearoftheSaturn
I hooked up my old V-Saturn a couple weeks ago. Only played a few import fighters and the Street Fighter: The Movie game just for laughs. I remember getting really far in Dragon Force a few years back. I put it on hold for several months then when I went back to it I must've saved in the middle of a difficult battle. I kept getting killed. Lost my drive to play after that. If I start it up again I'll have to do it from scratch.

I just made it to Macalania temple in FFX HDR. The expert sphere grid is pretty damn awesome. You can turn Kimahri into a freakin' beast with it.

It's too late, I ended up ordering a 360 copy yesterday. Atlus has made me double-dip before, so if they pull a Dissidia, then whatever, I can deal :razz:

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back