RPG Thread XVI Supports Project Eternity's Kickstarter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah. 3.1 through kickstarter right now, and PayPal is edging up on 100,000 with two days to go.

I'm impressed. When they first started this, I thought they'd hit three million at the very end.

The documentary's a nice touch, too.

[quote name='keithp']Yep, how can people complain about an option you can effectively turn off and aren't forced to use?[/QUOTE]
It would've been nice if, when turned off, it behaved like your traditional Final Fantasy system where, once a party member's turn comes up, said party member is automatically selected.

If it had done that one little thing, I would've had no beef with FFXII's system. As it was, it made it so that going Gambit-less wasn't a very appealing option.

Yeah, while technically true that Gambits were optional, I wouldn't want to imagine playing with them completely turned off. The game was definitely built for them.

[quote name='Ryuukishi']Funny that you ask... FF12 is my favorite in the series and probably my second favorite game of all time after Mass Effect 2. Guess it takes all kinds. :lol:[/QUOTE]
You are the exact opposite of me, I can see that 9 was a little too calculating, but 12 was a train wreck for me. The characters weren't really fleshed out (or just sickening in the case of Penelo), the license board was unrewarding, and the summons in the game were useless, even the hidden ones.

I too love 9 as a throwback until the terrible ending. I've played disks 1 and 2 numerous times, but always stop partway through disk 3 because it just goes weird and I stop caring.

12 really rubbed me the wrong way at first, but eventually I got addicted to finding the optimal setup for my Gambits and just feeling badass for being able to steam roll enemies with tactics I devised. I also really liked the more political story (same reason I enjoyed Tactic's story), as it was a nice change of pace. The characters could use some work, but Balthier just stole the show so I didn't really care about the others being less interesting.

Think I'm gonna give Baten Kaitos Origins another chance. If it doesn't pick up soon though it's getting set aside for good though.

[quote name='Zmonkay']eventually I got addicted to finding the optimal setup for my Gambits and just feeling badass for being able to steam roll enemies with tactics I devised.[/QUOTE]
That's how I felt, there was just a special joy in setting up your Gambits so you could just steer the party from fight to fight and watch them take the enemies apart. I also thought the cast was pretty great for a Final Fantasy game apart from Vaan who is as bland and stupid as everyone says. Basch and Balthier are all time great FF characters IMO. Outstanding English voice work all around too.

I loved the gameplay in 12 but I didn't like the story at all. It was both confusing and totally forgettable for me. It also felt like it ended totally abruptly.

That said, I really enjoyed 12 overall. I used gambits to keep my buffs going the way I wanted, and then selected spells by hand for my magic users. Worked great.

I really liked the political aspects of 12 more than most of the other FF stories. 12 is definitely up there as my favorite along with 6.

Chris Avellone on Knights of the Old Republic 2:

The issues with K2 are my fault, and no one else's. Looking back, I would have taken more care to focus on the elements of the game that mattered the most: the story and characters, and removed the mini-games, for example (those were a waste of time) and also cast away many of the cut scenes (they cost too much time to do technically, despite how much we liked them).
I also would have downscoped the cast and done what we've done on titles after that - made a smaller, more reactive cast and kept the central character pillars (Kreia, Atton, Mira, Visas Marr). I would have kept T3-M4, regardless.
But my heart still blames Lucasarts, of course.

[quote name='Ryuukishi']That's how I felt, there was just a special joy in setting up your Gambits so you could just steer the party from fight to fight and watch them take the enemies apart. I also thought the cast was pretty great for a Final Fantasy game apart from Vaan who is as bland and stupid as everyone says. Basch and Balthier are all time great FF characters IMO. Outstanding English voice work all around too.[/QUOTE]

Basch, IMO, is one of the better FF characters. I like the whole thread of seeking redemption with him.

[quote name='momouchi']I really liked the political aspects of 12 more than most of the other FF stories. 12 is definitely up there as my favorite along with 6.[/QUOTE]

I also like the political plot as a change-of-pace from the usual.

[quote name='Indignate']Wait a minute here...

Mira was a central character?[/QUOTE]
Yeah, I'll admit that Mira is an odd choice over, say, the Handmaiden.

I'm assuming that 1: in Chris Avellone's dream world, Mira's role would be expanded. I remember reading an interview about Planescape Torment where Avellone (I think) said that Ignus was one of his favourite characters even though he's widely regarded as the worst companion. Avellone (or whoever the fuck the interview was with) said that there was a lot of cut content for Ignus, who was supposed to have a much greater role in the game. And 2: Mira was chosen specifically because of how readily she becomes a pupil of the Exile over all the other characters.

[quote name='The Crotch']But my heart still blames Lucasarts, of course.[/QUOTE]

Same. I loved the KOTOR series and its a shame there wasn't a true continuation of the universe. They could pull a Mass Effect-esque consequence system from the KOTOR 2 to my imagined sequel. That kind of choice system would fit perfectly with the universe.

Apparently there was some book that made a proper KotOR 3 irrelevant or some shit.

I've also heard it was pretty crap, but that's my automatic assumption about any book based on a movie or game, anyway.

They've got at least $100,000 in PayPal funds as well right now, but some of that will go towards covering failed payments from the kickstarter itself.

Regardless, I can't see them not making 3.5.

Looks like they're starting up a a stream for their final six hours?

Doubt anything significant will happen, though I didn't see much of Double Fine's stream.

EDIT: Also, these people really like their fucking terrible hats.

Watched a bit of it earlier and there was a pretty good Q&A going, hampered mainly by the fact that they'd never used Twitch before and didn't know how to put a chat in to slow mode.

Then a whole bunch more people came in and things got a little unfocused and now I'm playing Xcom.

[quote name='The Crotch']Hey, Panzer.

"I really liked Dear Esther. But it's... not actually a game..." - Obsidian's Chris Avellone

Tell me if I should hate him now.[/QUOTE]

I just want to chime in as well (even though you didn't ask me), Dear Esther is not a game. It is a visual novel with little text.

BTW, finished FF9 again, I have now moved on to Dragon Quest 8, but I am currently lost trying to find some ship. Meh, this game needs like a journal system or something to help keep me on track sometimes.

It's very much a game, and it can't be argued otherwise. You use directional input to traverse a game world, where by walking into triggers put in place by a developer you progress -- activating scripts for sounds, narrative, cutscene, etc... It is essential interactivity, the fact can't be dodged. This is about as game like as a game can get.

Now, the reason people throw around the sentiment "it's not an actual game" is for two reasons. One is to merely dismiss Dear Esther as the horribly boring experience it is, "it's so bad it's not even a game." Simple and effective hyperbole, sure, but people are wrong in taking it so far as to actually believing it's not a piece of interactive software. It is, and I'll at least give it that much.

The other reason people say this is to shield the game from any kind of criticism, as Avellone is doing. "I liked Dear Esther, but it's not really a game." Implying that others are analyzing it incorrectly and should give it some breathing room as its own unique medium. Really, I think this just speaks to how bad Dear Esther truly is. It's design is so meaningless and unsatisfactory to the touch of a player that even its fans can't say they played a real game.

Either way you're insulting the developers of Dear Esther.

But yes, there are actually fans of this game. I just hope Avellone is drunk and not one of them.

[quote name='panzerfaust']Huh, final boss at only 25 hours in. FF8 is really short.[/QUOTE]

Holy shit, I took way longer than that. (Mainly due to obsessing over getting all the GF abilities learned and maxing out draws for all magic for all characters...).

The "scaleable" difficulty must help in this case then (I still think that was a stupid idea).

[quote name='Zmonkay']Holy shit, I took way longer than that. (Mainly due to obsessing over getting all the GF abilities learned and maxing out draws for all magic for all characters...).

The "scaleable" difficulty must help in this case then (I still think that was a stupid idea).[/QUOTE]
I took longer, too, especially the second time when I did just about all the sidequests (save for Card Queen [ETA: and Card Club], and I don't remember if I finished the one with Pupu).

However, 25 hours seems totally doable for a Final Fantasy from that era. FFVII took me 27 the first time I played that.

Last edited by a moderator:
I remember my first FF8 playthroughs being 108 hours... This was with maxed levels and all cards though, which I really enjoyed playing.

My first FF7 playthrough was something like 60 hours, but I did get KotR (but skipped the weapons).

At the final boss of Aedis Eclipse: Generation of Chaos. Except this is the final boss of the -just- the first scenario. Not sure if I want to play through the next two if they're just MOTS.

So on my 4th try, Ultimecia's final form decided to blow away my Squall's strength stat junction. Managed to pull some serious limit break clutches at the last second and still came out with the win. Literally came down to one last hit before her next big spell hit, and the measly 1k damage was enough to end it.

Ending was fucking freaky

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back