RPG Thread XVII - Talk of RPGs past.

I know people may not agree with this at all but... I'm currently working on the White Knight Chronicles II dual pack, and I've got to say that I am very much enjoying WKC. Lots of old school JRPG flavor to found.

I need to get back to FF13-2, got a little burned out but was having a good time in that one as well. I think SE really stepped up from FF13 (which I have no beef with, I liked it).

For old school needs I have been working on FF5 from time to time... and for my dungeon crawling needs I'm still slowly chipping away at Legend of Grimrock and Wizardry Labyrinth of Lost Souls. By god do I miss Wizardy 8!

Then, when I'm really, really, really bored I get back in Skyrim. But I spent so many hours back in the 80's playing western open world RPGs I can't stick with Skryim for too long at time.

i love broken games. that's why ff6 is one of my favorites. nothing says fun like murdering entire groups of enemies with ice 1.

ff14 remake is due out soon, i wanna give it a shot...
then when i saw that, i was reminded of how dq 10 is out in japan.
but you know what's messed up? dq10 blocks foreign IPs so you can't play unless you have a hacked Wii that connects to a VPN. wtf man. the things you have to do to play rpgs now.

FFIV completed. Was about to throw my PSP out the window when I hit the final boss without finding a save point anywhere near him, but managed to kill him on the first try. Rydia was also KO'd the entire fight, which made me kind of sad because I spent all that time getting her hidden summons.

Cute little game, weird difficulty spikes and outrageously high encounter rates aside.

[quote name='JEKKI']the following link I am sharing with you all is canon:

http://www.talesofgames.com/2012/11/barkley-2-announcement-kickstarter-coming-soon/[/QUOTE]
fuck yes :hot: This will probably be the first Kickstarter ever that I'll participate in.

Since money is involved, maybe they're using all-original artwork for Barkley 2? Not that they got in trouble for their sprite recycling (or Space Jam sampling) last time, but...

Last edited by a moderator:
they'll use the money to sample twice the space jams!

hit em high hit em high hit em low hit em low!

anywayz I have a story.

over the past weekend I made it past the 54 hour mark in Xenoblade and posted on the neogaf how over the course of 54 hours there's so much about the game I do not understand.

it was then I learned that there is a menu option that allows you to fast travel to any part in the entire game just like that.

o_O

had I known that, I would have spent the past 54 hours playing a completely different game

>_<

I've now hit the 64 hour mark and finally reached the point of no return!!

whoooaaaahhh~~!!!

I'll finally beat this dang game.

Looks like I'm quickly runnig out of medalions to boost my Morale between missions on Yggarda Union. I thought you got restored back up to full health on level up? (PSP Version)
I seem to only get maybe a 1/3 of my HP back.
And of course, if the main character gets knocked out, it's game over.

Oh snap! Missed that a new thread was created lol.

Just started Paper Mario Sticker Star and it is a really great game, but not an RPG. No leveling, no companions. Turn based battles but they go by crazy quick. I'm fine with that though. Feels more like an adventure kind of game, like Zelda with turn based combat (not exactly but closest comparison). There's a good sense of exploration and discovery in the stages.

Been playing Persona 2 and totally liking it. I tried playing the first one but ugh. It's so ugly. @_@ That and the characters are kind of bland in my opinion. I'm only about four hours in though. Kind of want to take a small break before P4G though, so thinking of picking up another RPG. Debating between Parasite Eve, Xenogears, and Chrono Cross. Anyone play Legend of Heroes: Trails on the Sky? Is that one any good?

[quote name='Luxuria']Debating between Parasite Eve, Xenogears, and Chrono Cross.[/QUOTE]

Parasite Eve is pretty cool, play if you like Resident Evil 2 for sure. It might be like Vandal Hearts (the combat), can't really remember that game too well.

Xenogears is awesome, prepare for a long RPG with a crazy story that will take a while before you understand it fully. The combat combos are really fun, giant robots, cool characters, I'm getting the itch to replay it soon, haha.

Chrono Cross is a lot different than Chrono Trigger, but I still loved it. The turn based combat may take a while to get used to, as you can only have set amount of magic/techniques set, and then used, per battle. I really loved the story. This may be a spoiler:
but the premise of the story is not only what happened after the events of Chrono Trigger, but what happened/got ruined because they ****ed with time travel.
Only expect a few minor references to Chrono Trigger cast members.

[quote name='Kazaganthi']Only expect a few minor references to Chrono Trigger cast members.[/QUOTE]
Minor they may be, but if you loved the hell out of Chrono Trigger, Chrono Cross might drive you nuts. (Major spoiler: )
After all, nearly the entire main cast from Trigger is dead in Cross... and it's not like Cross takes place a super long time after Trigger D:

Chrono Cross has it's positives (such as the amazing soundtrack), but it's definitely an acquired taste. To me, it was mostly bitter.

I only read the Let's Play of Xenogears, but going by that, it sounds like a real rollercoaster of a game, and one that seemed to have run out of money at a certain point during production. It too has a reputation for having an amazing Yasunori Mitsuda musical score.

Don't know much about Parasite Eve.

Xenogears is good. Just -so- text heavy and slow moving at times. I still have fond memories of playing it some 15 (?) years ago.

jus finished Xenoblade!!

it was fantastic!!

lots of cool characters, lots of cool villains, great story, the world is downright beautiful and huge,

the content in the game is overwhelming... jus when I think there's too much to do the game switches things up and gives u even more,

and it's also like here's a thing u can do, but the only way to unlock it is to do a bunch of other things first

o_O

I didnt do any of it lol... total time was 66 hours.

feels good to finally be done! now I can play new games!

The stupidest part of FFIV has to be the moment you beat Golbez to the next crystal, decisively destroy him in battle, and then watch as your party simply stares as he takes the crystal anyways.

What.

[quote name='panzerfaust']The stupidest part of FFIV has to be the moment you beat Golbez to the next crystal, decisively destroy him in battle, and then watch as your party simply stares as he takes the crystal anyways.

What.[/QUOTE]
the slow zigzagging hand is OP.

lol it doesn't even go in a straight line, it goes side to side

(unless you're playing the DS version where he just reappears and teleports out. which isn't as dumb but still dumb.)

[quote name='Rodimus']Lots of people rip on Persona 1 but I'm a firm defender of it. My opinion towards it is probably nostalgia if nothing else but damn I love that game. P1 is no more dated than an old school FF or DQ game. Plus it's got the choicest battle music, listening to it wants me to do another playthrough:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQ8xSqgEA_I[/QUOTE]
I am as well, though I only played it for the first time last year. It was a good game and aged on par with most ps1 era games.

[quote name='JEKKI']jus finished Xenoblade!!

it was fantastic!!

lots of cool characters, lots of cool villains, great story, the world is downright beautiful and huge,

the content in the game is overwhelming... jus when I think there's too much to do the game switches things up and gives u even more,

and it's also like here's a thing u can do, but the only way to unlock it is to do a bunch of other things first

o_O

I didnt do any of it lol... total time was 66 hours.

feels good to finally be done! now I can play new games![/QUOTE]

66 hours in Xenoblah is like eating the skin off a chicken McNugget. Tastsy, it needs BBQ

shutup!

it's like "oh crap! I unlocked a new skill tree!! too bad I'm 50+ hours into the game and have no idea what skill trees even do,

but eff it! let's unlock more of them!"

so I goto gamefaqs and read how to unlock another one, and I try to do it but the mission isnt available,

then I read the fine print that says if the mission isnt available u can make it available by doing a bunch of other missions first to raise your affinity with the town.

and at that point I'm like "never mind!!!" and then I decided to jus beat the game instead.

also chicken mcnuggets are gross... I'm glad I didnt eat the whole thing.

[quote name='blueshinra']Minor they may be, but if you loved the hell out of Chrono Trigger, Chrono Cross might drive you nuts. (Major spoiler: )
After all, nearly the entire main cast from Trigger is dead in Cross... and it's not like Cross takes place a super long time after Trigger D:

Chrono Cross has it's positives (such as the amazing soundtrack), but it's definitely an acquired taste. To me, it was mostly bitter.

I only read the Let's Play of Xenogears, but going by that, it sounds like a real rollercoaster of a game, and one that seemed to have run out of money at a certain point during production. It too has a reputation for having an amazing Yasunori Mitsuda musical score.

Don't know much about Parasite Eve.[/QUOTE]

I would say Parasite Eve for a fun, the story and atmosphere is unique and imo has never been redone. Cross is, well Cross is confusing to say the least. There are so many ideas that were great that were never explained, cameos that leave characters fates in question, and bits of art and areas that further confuse anyone paying a bit of attention. I loved the game and personally have played it at least once a year and used the majority of the available characters, but it is not a sequel more than a, what if story, since most of the resolution undoes the world you had been adventuring in. Never played Gears, always seemed like one of those games that sounded better on paper than disc.

between cross/PE/xenogears?

i think the only one i'd play out of those is xg, but it has aged horribly. it looked ugly when it came out, it looks super ugly now. PE is okay but not my kind of game (actually i think it is pretty lacking in the game department, but the story is decent) and i hated cross.

Cross, PE, or Xenogears? I might be in the minority but I had the most fun with Chrono Cross. Still as a huge Chrono Trigger fan the game leaves much to be desired for some kind of coherent connection to the series. The high point of the game is the music, one of the best soundtracks ever, lots of memorable tunes. I liked the character designs too, with something like 40+ characters to recruit. However I remember the game being a breeze with little difficulty.

Looks like Star Citizen broke Project Eternity's crowdfunding record. Well, it was going to happen sooner or later :p

Harvest Moon: AWL update - married now, have a seed maker (which only gives me two seeds for every one crop? WTF), and have sold both my bovines because they're useless pains in the asses (the cow wasn't giving me any milk for days and days, and she wasn't sick or pregnant [that I could tell] or anything).

It's still got some of the fun of Harvest Moon, but it's not a very good entry in the series. The upgraded tools don't do much besides make you less tired; the cows/bulls, as I said, are a waste of time; there's a certain minigame that's stupidly hard; and I have to sell everything non-dairy directly to a vendor who only shows up on certain days, and one type at a time.

Just beat the first encounter with Barty using Light/Snow/Sazh, and he went down on the first try. Super pleased with myself, didn't think I'd get far without Hope's buffs.

Trashing through the Ark now at breakneck speed -- triple Ravager and triple Commando :drool:

I really liked Chrono Cross,didn't really mind that it wasn't a real sequel to Trigger.The story was pretty good too with some really good plot twists,but it really does become a mess on disc 2.

Xenogears other than the terrible graphics is still a really good game with an excellent story.Does have it moments where it just drags like the Nortune Prison section.

[quote name='momouchi']Fact: Star Wars KOTOR is the greatest Bioware game[/QUOTE]
I'll always have a shitload of nostalgia for it, but I find now that the game itself is... kinda mediocre. Shadows of Amn will probably be my "Bioware's best game" forever, though I have copies of Shattered Steel and MDK2 that I haven't touched yet.

A shocker: my wife, who never plays console games, finished Harvest Moon: Save The Homeland. Now she's talking about playing it again to get alternate endings.

[quote name='blueshinra']Harvest Moon: AWL update - married now, have a seed maker [/QUOTE]
har har

married and seed maker. lolol

but no really... kinda sad to hear that HM isn't that great.

i feel like the PS1 version was the best one...

[quote name='TheLongshot']A shocker: my wife, who never plays console games, finished Harvest Moon: Save The Homeland. Now she's talking about playing it again to get alternate endings.[/QUOTE]

Wow! I'm a big fan of Harvest Moon, and Save The Homeland is one of the weakest Harvest Moon I've played. I felt the N64 one was better, and that was a console gen before. Save The Homeland left a lot of things out, and I think I only got through 2 endings before I got really really bored. I played the GBA one around the same time, and felt that game had so much more to it.

[quote name='kainzero']har har

married and seed maker. lolol

but no really... kinda sad to hear that HM isn't that great.

i feel like the PS1 version was the best one...[/QUOTE]
That was unintentional, really!

Yeah, it isn't a good Harvest Moon; even the original is a more robust experience. After this, I think I might go back to sticking to the Rune Factory subseries.

At this point, I've pretty much decided to make my farm an orchard and grow fruit trees in addition to taking care of chickens and sheep (since fruit trees don't die after one measly harvest). Currently saving up for the farm addition that costs 30,000 G, since I want all the buildings :p

[quote name='Kazaganthi']Wow! I'm a big fan of Harvest Moon, and Save The Homeland is one of the weakest Harvest Moon I've played. I felt the N64 one was better, and that was a console gen before. Save The Homeland left a lot of things out, and I think I only got through 2 endings before I got really really bored. I played the GBA one around the same time, and felt that game had so much more to it.[/QUOTE]
That's a shame. There was a time when I nearly bought Save the Homeland... glad I skipped it.

Also, which GBA one? Curious because A Wonderful Life can link up with Friends of Mineral Town, which I'm not familiar with.

There's some old-school looking first person RPG on the plsystation store this week. I forget the name. Anyone tried it?

[quote name='blueshinra']That's a shame. There was a time when I nearly bought Save the Homeland... glad I skipped it.

Also, which GBA one? Curious because A Wonderful Life can link up with Friends of Mineral Town, which I'm not familiar with.[/QUOTE]

It was Friends of Mineral Town. In the time it took me to do 2 playthroughs of Save the Homeland, I hadn't even "beat" Friends of Mineral Town, just so much to do (like most Harvest Moons).

[quote name='TheLongshot']Any recommendations for another one for the wife? Got a PS2, PS3 and a Wii.[/QUOTE]
Can your Wii play GC games? Maybe could try A Wonderful Life, Gamecube. I think there is a version were you play as a girl instead.

There are Wii ones like Tree of Tranquility, but I haven't played it yet. Does your wife care about retro/old games? If she wouldn't be turned off, the original Harvest Moon SNES on virtual console is awesome, but I can understand if others don't like SNES graphics.

[quote name='TheLongshot']For those who are interested, Baldurs Gate Enhanced Edition started pre-loads today. Release date is Nov 28.[/QUOTE]

fuck yeah! I forgot this was close to being released finally! Thanks for the reminder!!

[quote name='TheLongshot']For those who are interested, Baldurs Gate Enhanced Edition started pre-loads today. Release date is Nov 28.[/QUOTE]

:whee:

How the heck didn't I know about this game?

ASCII text is too old-school for me, but thankfully there's tile graphics.

Anyone else play rogue-likes? I find it intriguing they also have a Borg AI you can download that will try to take a character all the way down and win the game while you watch! Pretty wild.

[quote name='keithp']How the heck didn't I know about this game?

ASCII text is too old-school for me, but thankfully there's tile graphics.

Anyone else play rogue-likes? I find it intriguing they also have a Borg AI you can download that will try to take a character all the way down and win the game while you watch! Pretty wild.[/QUOTE]

I play Zangband on occasion. I tried Angband well over 10 years ago, and wasn't a huge fan. Some flavors of Zangband are also better than others. There's even a port on Android.

[quote name='elessar123']I play Zangband on occasion. I tried Angband well over 10 years ago, and wasn't a huge fan. Some flavors of Zangband are also better than others. There's even a port on Android.[/QUOTE]

Zangband has a wilderness, right? What else is different? I found alot of variants of Angband but it's hard to tell how they're different from each other.

I've been playing plain vanilla Angband and it's alot of fun. So far my best character has only gotten to 400 feet down though, but I'm still trying to learn how to play and what everything does. I'm surprised how deep the gameplay is!

[quote name='keithp']Zangband has a wilderness, right? What else is different? I found alot of variants of Angband but it's hard to tell how they're different from each other.

I've been playing plain vanilla Angband and it's alot of fun. So far my best character has only gotten to 400 feet down though, but I'm still trying to learn how to play and what everything does. I'm surprised how deep the gameplay is![/QUOTE]

Zangband doesn't have wilderness. Just a city hub. The most recent ones I've played has all these poison grass tiles that I've never seen when I used to play. Not a fan of them.

Personally, I like ones that have autorun, more than any other feature. It speeds up the game a lot. You stop whenever there's an event.

I got really deep one time, and got killed by a rare teleporting named mage. Let's just say jamming the door and having the mage teleport to the other side of you while you try to rest does not end up well =P

I guess I should try Angband again. It's actually been close to 10 years since I did.

If you didn't know, there are tilesets for them, if you don't want to play with ASCII characters.

Finally grabbed Tales of Vesperia, and I'm ebullient!
Did not play such a good game for a long time.
Can anyone recommend me some good JRPGs for the 360? (The only two I can think of are Lost Odyssey and Agarest War....)

[quote name='elessar123']

I guess I should try Angband again. It's actually been close to 10 years since I did.

If you didn't know, there are tilesets for them, if you don't want to play with ASCII characters.[/QUOTE]

It's probably changed quite a bit. The latest version is 3.4 which is what I'm running. I doubt I'd play it if it didn't have tiles, I don't think I could handle straight ASCII. The latest version has several tilesets built-in, so you can choose whichever one you like the best.

[quote name='Jean Luc Picard']Finally grabbed Tales of Vesperia, and I'm ebullient!
Did not play such a good game for a long time.
Can anyone recommend me some good JRPGs for the 360? (The only two I can think of are Lost Odyssey and Agarest War....)[/QUOTE]

Blue Dragon & Eternal Sonata are two decent JRPGs. They have their faults but I enjoyed them both.

[quote name='Jean Luc Picard']
Can anyone recommend me some good JRPGs for the 360? (The only two I can think of are Lost Odyssey and Agarest War....)[/QUOTE]

Yeah get Lost Odyssey, as well as FFXIII if you haven't already. Both games should be on the cheap now.

bread's done
Back