RPG Thread XVII - Talk of RPGs past.

I hated Oblivion and didn't like Fallout that much, but Skyrim is a pretty cool guy. He kills dragons and doesn't afraid of anything.

Yeah, most internet nerd havens (read: I lurk on TL.net and SA) have been lambasting the bad scripting, the bugged-to-shit multiplayer, and the general pointlessness of it all.

B3kus.jpg

Also, dothog, you should play the BSG board game with me today because one of my players dropped out.

I saw the BSG board game mention in GGT. I occasionally white knight for the series (e.g. it's unfairly maligned for something that's a natural function of any serial work), and I have a feeling that board game would swallow me whole.

No time, though -- that's the problem with those drawn out backstabby board games, they need too much time.

Also, on BGEE: until I read the GB review, I had no idea that the PC version does not allow the user to adjust any graphics settings (i.e. resolution, brightness, etc.). It seems like they were entirely wrong-headed on what enhancement is.

[quote name='j-cart']Is this the thread where I can talk about Mass Effect 3?

I've always enjoyed the lore since the RPG elements were given the back seat. I found myself reading the codex more often than actually playing the game.[/QUOTE]

360 forum. Really good group (Ryu is a big part of it, I used to be) there to discuss any Bioware RPG if you bump up the proper thread.

[quote name='dothog']I saw the BSG board game mention in GGT. I occasionally white knight for the series (e.g. it's unfairly maligned for something that's a natural function of any serial work), and I have a feeling that board game would swallow me whole.

No time, though -- that's the problem with those drawn out backstabby board games, they need too much time.

Also, on BGEE: until I read the GB review, I had no idea that the PC version does not allow the user to adjust any graphics settings (i.e. resolution, brightness, etc.). It seems like they were entirely wrong-headed on what enhancement is.[/QUOTE]
I think the other thing is Good Old Games sometimes has sales and you can grab a shit load of those old D&D games for literally like $3-5 a game. Much better than this enhanced edition. I was looking forward to it but not being available to buy on any platform that isn't some bullshit thing I never heard of and not being better than the original means no purchase for me.

Sort of.

They have the Torment license. But they don't have the Planescape license. Planescape, as a setting, hasn't existed for years, though pieces of the setting are still hobbling along in fourth edition.

Shit's fuckin' weird, yo.

I pop my head in over occasionally there despite my PC Supremacist ways. I just don't say much because they're always talking about multiplayer stuff.

I like to say things every now and then. Only to display my sig and also to increase the chances of someone PMing asking me if I'm the person in my avatar cuz I'm so hawt.

The MP for ME3 is actually pretty fun.

Though the way you unlock stuff is just a money grab. Hey people, buy this box! It "might" have what you want!

[quote name='j-cart']I'm apart of the PC master race. I would not be welcomed in a 360 "sub" form.[/QUOTE]

Doesn't matter, we have people with the PS3/PC versions post in there b/c the 360 forum is one of the most active on CAG outside of deals.

Dragonborn for Skyrim out today on 360, DLC pack for XCom on all platforms, demo for Ni No Kuni w/PS Store update later.

Also ME Trilogy pack for PS3 at retail & ME 1 as PSN download.

No idea what they were thinking with that Xcom DLC. Who gives a fuck about some special character they have planned for us? The worst parts of Xcom were the bits with voice acting and named characters. Nobody cares about their triad agent bullshit. Make a Terror from the Deep expansion and you will get so much money, you stupid stupidheads.

It's all about the Uncharted card game. #1 RPG

Almost done with Persona 4 (okay, not even close). Marie is pretty cool. Kinda wish she was a party member. ._.

[quote name='The Crotch']No idea what they were thinking with that Xcom DLC. Who gives a fuck about some special character they have planned for us? The worst parts of Xcom were the bits with voice acting and named characters. Nobody cares about their triad agent bullshit. Make a Terror from the Deep expansion and you will get so much money, you stupid stupidheads.[/QUOTE]

First gots to try to milk some sheep, yo.

"Big bro."

So Crimson Gem Saga is on sale. I'm honestly just buying RPGs for the hell of it at this point, but is it any good? Debating between biting on that or getting Fate/EXTRA since CCC is being released next year (or whatever the hell the sequel is called).

Crimson Gem Saga was very mediocre, but in a warm milk and fresh baked choco chip cookie kind of way.
It'll hit the spot but doesn't really satisfy much. It doesn't really do anything wrong, but it also doesn't really stand out above the crowd either.

Worth it for cheap I guess.

[quote name='keithp']Crimson Gem Saga was very mediocre, but in a warm milk and fresh baked choco chip cookie kind of way.
It'll hit the spot but doesn't really satisfy much. It doesn't really do anything wrong, but it also doesn't really stand out above the crowd either.

Worth it for cheap I guess.[/QUOTE]

I regret paying $15 for it.
It's just barely average. The combat and battles take way, way, too long. You'll be going through three or four rounds with every random encounter just to kill the normal enemies.

Add to that there are random enemies who can only be damaged by skills, few equipment upgrades and skills require a double unlock. (spend points to reveal the skill, and spend them again to purchase it)

I think I put about 10 hours in then moved on.

Ni no Kuni demo was aight. Didn't look as pretty as I thought it was going to, and the battle theme blew, but it still has my curiosity.

[quote name='panzerfaust']Ni no Kuni demo was aight. Didn't look as pretty as I thought it was going to, and the battle theme blew, but it still has my curiosity.[/QUOTE]

I don't have time to play the demo for a while. Are you saying I should cancel my preorder of the wiz edition?

[quote name='Blaster man']I don't have time to play the demo for a while. Are you saying I should cancel my preorder of the wiz edition?[/QUOTE]

No I'm sure you'll love it.

I really liked the Ni No Kuni demo. Part of me was all "Weeeee, new JRPG". Part of me was "cool Ghibli art". The last part was "wow, this is a very short demo" (granted I only played the first scenario of the demo, the tree one).

Definitely looking forward to the actual release. Just praying my CE comes in pristine condition (after reading horror stories about the shipping company).

I got around to playing the demo tonight, and did like it. Tho, I think I'll like it more once I understand what everything is about. It was getting bought no matter what anyways.

I really liked the demo. Been too long since I played a Level 5 game. The Ghibli stuff is just awesome icing on the cake.

Now I just need to find a great deal on it - because with Fire Emblem and Etrian 4 coming a few days later, my wallet will be screaming.

I usually only buy a couple of games a year at release - in 2013 all those games are coming out in the first two months of the year!

I missed getting the super cool edition, but I'll still pre order at GameStop and get the steel book. I'm downloading the psn update to download the demo as we post

[quote name='KtMack23']I missed getting the super cool edition, but I'll still pre order at GameStop and get the steel book. I'm downloading the psn update to download the demo as we post[/QUOTE]

You can still get that by importing from Zavvi or amazon Germany. My preorder from amazon uk had its price lowered twice and now it's $80 after currency conversion (including shipping). So only $20 more than the regular version at release and a whopping $40 less than the US version (after adding in $20 shipping).

[quote name='Blaster man']You can still get that by importing from Zavvi or amazon Germany. My preorder from amazon uk had its price lowered twice and now it's $80 after currency conversion (including shipping). So only $20 more than the regular version at release and a whopping $40 less than the US version (after adding in $20 shipping).[/QUOTE]
Thanks! I just preordered the German version. When I'm charged will they just convert my payment to USD?

Project Eternity interview quote:
We haven't discussed conversation skills as much as reputation mechanics. To me, conversation is one of the primary means players have of defining the type of person they are playing in the world. Instead of a heavy emphasis on conversation skills, I would rather allow players to behave in a variety of ways and develop robust reputation systems to react to those choices throughout the game. I think it's more interesting to allow a person to select diplomatic responses and develop a reputation for being a diplomat than to level up a Diplomacy skill and pick the Diplomacy option when it's unlocked for you.

I think some of the best role-playing experiences come from expressing your character's personality in the way that you want and seeing how the world reacts to it. I believe that we can make a conversation system that allows people to do this with dialogues and characters in a natural way.

I'd like to marginalize the speech skills into the dust bin, personally. I think the player's conversation choices should be important without dead-ending quests and I think that Alpha Protocol managed to find ways to do that. There are certainly optimal choices for the player to make if you want a certain type of outcome (e.g. impressing one character instead of another), but dialogue isn't a right/wrong puzzle.

I don't think it's correct to say that I want dialogue choices to be flavor only. I want the player's choices from node to node to actually be more mechanically significant that they have been in most RPGs. That consists of two parts: the immediate reaction within the conversation and the long-term effects of how that choice feeds into your reputation. Sometimes the short-term effects are minor, but the reputation system won't "forget" what you've done.
I like the part where everything I hear about the game makes me happy.

oh man, conceptually PE is going to be amazing. If they can pull of the technical side and actually realize all their claims... :drool:

Also terribly disappointed to hear all the negativity towards Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition. I held off on dicking around with the mods long enough (hoping this would be good). Guess it's time to look into TUTU and all that other crap I've been hearing about to make 1 giant, condensed, modded to the 9s install of BG, TotSC, BG2, and ToB...

[quote name='Zmonkay']oh man, conceptually PE is going to be amazing. If they can pull of the technical side and actually realize all their claims... :drool:

Also terribly disappointed to hear all the negativity towards Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition. I held off on dicking around with the mods long enough (hoping this would be good). Guess it's time to look into TUTU and all that other crap I've been hearing about to make 1 giant, condensed, modded to the 9s install of BG, TotSC, BG2, and ToB...[/QUOTE]
Consider BGTrilogy or Big World instead of Tutu. Tutu is still a totally valid way to go, but a lot of people prefer using the BGT mod.

As far as PE goes, the only thing that I'm iffy on is their dual health bar. I like the idea of using both stamina and health as things that go down when you get hit, but I'm surprised that they've decided not to use stamina as an actual buffer for health. But I guess they could make it work, and it's not exactly set in stone, anyway.

Approaching the final boss of FFXIII having never used a Saboteur or leveled the Medic role. I think I'm just really good at this game.

[quote name='panzerfaust']Approaching the final boss of FFXIII having never used a Saboteur or leveled the Medic role. I think I'm just really good at this game.[/QUOTE]
But SAB is awesome. Builds the stagger bar almost as well as RAV and unlike nearly every other FF game debuffs are actually useful.

bread's done
Back