RPG Thread XVII - Talk of RPGs past.

[quote name='Kazaganthi']Can your Wii play GC games? Maybe could try A Wonderful Life, Gamecube. I think there is a version were you play as a girl instead.[/QUOTE]
A Wonderful Life, as I've been saying, isn't very good though :whee: But if she liked Save the Homeland, then maybe *shrug*

I believe the one with the girl is called Another Wonderful Life.

Not Harvest Moon, but an Animal Crossing game might be a good fit. There's also Rune Factory, a Harvest Moon spinoff that adds in dungeon-crawling; the best one is RF3 on DS, but the two on Wii/PS3 are decent.

[quote name='Jean Luc Picard']Can anyone recommend me some good JRPGs for the 360? (The only two I can think of are Lost Odyssey and Agarest War....)[/QUOTE]

I know there are going to be some fairly mixed opinions on the game here (and with any group of RPG fans), but I really enjoyed Eternal Sonata (just be forewarned that if what you want is story then ES is really lacking in that department).

Eternal Sonata was great IMO. I heard Magna Carta 2 wasn't bad. I didn't really get that far in it, but for what I did play, it was fun.

Thank you so much for the help!

Just ordered Eternal Sonata, and probing around for Lost Odyssey.
Sealed copies of LO are amazingly scarce, and cost about 50$~!
The only deal I've managed to find is for 30$ from a Chinese Ebay seller, But shipment from China takes ages....
Because the quadruple risk for a scratched DVD, I'm abit afraid to buy a used copy.

Oh just get it used, I can't even remember the last time I was sold an unplayable disc. I picked up LO for $3 at a pawn shop, and even with its god awful disc packaging, each worked fine.

Eternal Sonata was the first RPG (first game even) that I stopped caring completely about what was going on in the story. Gameplay was good, but I just couldn't bring myself to go on.

Personally I would recommend Blue Dragon over Eternal Sonata. The story wasn't mind-numbing drivel and I could tolerate the characters more (even though they were a bunch of kids). ES had very little character development. Some (like Viola) just hop in your group and contribute little to the story.

I even had more fun with BD's combat. It's a traditional turn based RPG with classes. Nothing innovative but it works and the familiarity of it makes it welcomed. ES's combat got very repetitive had no depth, just build up your gauge and spam your Echo attacks while moving around to either light or dark spots on the field.

[quote name='panzerfaust']Yeah get Lost Odyssey, as well as FFXIII if you haven't already. Both games should be on the cheap now.[/QUOTE]

I'd recommend FFXIII-2 over the first. It fixed alot of criticisms the original had and I find it alot more fun to play.

No doubt that this is the best gaming forum I have ever joined!
Its like NeoGAF but without the constant flame wars. (Though NeoGAF's trolls are quite civilized)
I Can finally die peacefully.

I've had Eternal Sonata up on my shelf for maybe a year now. It's hard tO GEt used to the concept of playng a RPG on my 'big' console. RPGS are just for the hand helds these days.

Which is odd, because a generation or so ago (back on the PS2 or OG PS it was nearly the reverse)

[quote name='eldergamer']I've had Eternal Sonata up on my shelf for maybe a year now. It's hard tO GEt used to the concept of playng a RPG on my 'big' console. RPGS are just for the hand helds these days.

Which is odd, because a generation or so ago (back on the PS2 or OG PS it was nearly the reverse)[/QUOTE]

the GBA and DS always been strong on RPGs. It is just the console that gotten really worst lately.

For some reason upon beating Assassian's Creed 3 I've been in the mood for a JRPG. I narrowed it down to a few:

Persona (I never beat the SEBEC route in the PSP remake), Persona 2 IS, Tales of Graces f, Shadow Hearts Covenant, Monster World IV & Devil Summoner 2.

These are all games I've started, some I'm very far along in. I'm thinking about just popping them all in and playing each for a little while then seeing which on sticks if any.

EDIT - I've been playing Dark Souls. I love it but damn I'm stuck on two bosses in Anor Londoa (Smough and Ornstien I think) I need a break from it.

The only two JRPGs this generation I have beaten and enjoyed are Eternal Sonata and Lost Odyssey. The soundtracks shine in both games.

[quote name='Rodimus']Personally I would recommend Blue Dragon over Eternal Sonata. The story wasn't mind-numbing drivel and I could tolerate the characters more (even though they were a bunch of kids). ES had very little character development. Some (like Viola) just hop in your group and contribute little to the story.

I even had more fun with BD's combat. It's a traditional turn based RPG with classes. Nothing innovative but it works and the familiarity of it makes it welcomed. ES's combat got very repetitive had no depth, just build up your gauge and spam your Echo attacks while moving around to either light or dark spots on the field.[/QUOTE]

I liked Blue Dragon. I thought it was just a bit different in story that it wasn't the standard RPG cliche.

Resonance of Fate was also good on the 360.

[quote name='GhostShark']The only two JRPGs this generation I have beaten and enjoyed are Eternal Sonata and Lost Odyssey. The soundtracks shine in both games.[/QUOTE]
If you completely remove DS and PC games, then there haven't been any JRPGs I've played this gen that has been especially awesome. There's still a heavy-hitter or two in my backlog, though (mainly just Tales of Vesperia).

FF Fables: Chocobo's Dungeon has a great OST, though. Eternal Sonata's soundtrack is also distinctive.

I'll always join in when people recommend Lost Odyssey! I simply loved that game.

Eternal Sonata had great graphics (better than Vesperia's imho) and fun battles. The story wasn't anything special but I definitely enjoyed it (other than the last dungeon and never-ending monologue ending that makes Xenogears seam concise...)

Really need to give Blue Dragon another shot some time. Everyone seems to enjoy it, but I couldn't even get very far in the first disc. I was just extremely bored by the story, battle system, everything. Strange as I enjoy "classic" RPGs and can play any Dragon Quest all day...

[quote name='Zmonkay']Really need to give Blue Dragon another shot some time. Everyone seems to enjoy it, but I couldn't even get very far in the first disc. I was just extremely bored by the story, battle system, everything. Strange as I enjoy "classic" RPGs and can play any Dragon Quest all day...[/QUOTE]
I only played the demo of Blue Dragon, and although I like the overall aesthetic, the battle system was just too slow in how actions were carried out. That was a big turnoff for me.

[quote name='Indignate']Have I mentioned that Chrono Trigger is the best game ever?

Cuz I should do that again.[/QUOTE]
FTFY ;)

Lost Odyssesy is such a fantastic RPG, and the last true example of a JRPG this generation. I would do anything for a sequel, instant system seller for me.

Persona 4: Golden (Vita) is SEX! only in portable form.

I wish we could have another generation of a plethora amount of quality RPG's like we had with the golden age PSX : (
Alundra
Alundra 2
Arc the Lad Collection
Azure Dream (Enjoyed it alot, first introduction to dungeon rogue)
Battle Hunter
Beyond the Beyond (My first RPG on PSX)
Brave Fencer Musashi
Breath of Fire III (How I love thee! but hated that damn desert/north star puzzle!)
Breath of Fire IV (Money! not sure why Capcom wont continue series)
Brigandine (not my cup of tea)
Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (Castlevania+RPG+Equipment...Yes Pleas!)
Chrono Cross (Not as good as Chrono Trigger, but 10x better then anything Square made lately)
Chocobo's Dungeon 2 (Nice Rough)
Darkstone (poor mans Diablo, literally....as it only released with a MSRP of $10)
Diablo (The days you had to enter a crack in the ground to banish evil)
Dragon Seeds (No thanks)
Dragon Valor
Dragon Warrior VII (Nice throwback to classic RPG genre)
Eternal Eyes
Final Fantasy VII (Had to excuse myself to the bathroom with some lotion when I thought of this masterpiece)
Final Fantasy VIII (I enjoyed aspects of it, but was more so let down since I was still on the high of FFVII)
Final Fantasy IX (Very good FF, nice strong story and gameplay elements)
Final Fantasy Anthology
Final Fantasy Chronicles (ANYTHING, and I mean ANYTHING with Chrono Trigger is great in my book)
Final Fantasy Origins
Final Fantasy Tactics (The SRPG done right, classic, the Mona Lisa of the genre)
Front Mission 3
Grandia (Great crafting system, terrible voice acting)
Granstream Saga (Traded almost 15 psx games into FuncoLand/Gamestop to afford this when released)
Guardian's Crusade
Harvest Moon: Back to Nature
Hoshigami: Ruining Blue Earth
Jade Cocoon
Kartia: Word of Fate
King's Field
King's Field II
Koudelka
Legend of Dragoon (Sony.....Make...a....sequel...Now!)
Legend of Legaia (Loved the action battle system)
Legend of Mana
Legacy of Kain, Blood Omen
Lunar Silver Star Story Box Set (Working Designs...Thank you)
Lunar II Eternal Blue Box Set (Working Designs....I love you!)
Monster Seed
Ogre Battle
Parasite Eve
Parasite Eve 2
Persona
Persona II: Eternal Punishment
Rhapsody: A Musical Adventure
RPG Maker
Saga Frontier
Saga Frontier 2
Saiyuki: Journey West
Shadow Madness
Shadow Tower
Star Ocean: Second Story
Suikoden (Top 3 RPG on the PSX, Loved how many recruits for battle)
Suikoden II (Top 3 RPG on the PSX)
Tactics Ogre: Let us Cling Together
Tales of Destiny
Tales of Destiny II
Thousand Arms
Threads of Fate
Torneko: The Last Hope
Vagrant Story
Valkyrie Profile
Vandal Hearts (Fantastic, killing an enemy to reveal a fountain of blood!)
Vandal Hearts II (not as good as the first, maybe because I had to spend almost $60 to buy on aftermarket)
Vanguard Bandits
Wild Arms
Wild Arms 2
Xenogears (Enjoyed what I played when released, need to give another chance IF it aged well)

My Top 3 RPG's of PSX era

1. Final Fantasy VII
2. Suikoden II
3. Chrono Cross

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='blueshinra']I only played the demo of Blue Dragon, and although I like the overall aesthetic, the battle system was just too slow in how actions were carried out. That was a big turnoff for me. [/QUOTE]

QFT.

I played a bit more of Chrono Trigger a few days ago and am still liking it so far. I'd play it more if it wasn't for P4:G taking up much of my game time.

I started playing Xenogears but... yeah. That's been put in the backlog. Can't form an opinion on it yet.

So Growlanser: Wayfarer of Time is on sale. Is it any good?

No idea, but it sounds cool; nobody really wayfares time anymore. I also now want to replay Chrono Trigger, for the millionth time. Lost Odyssey as well.

As for Blue Dragon, I played it for about 13 hours. I enjoyed it at first, but then it just got less appealing over time. Kind of the same thing with Star Ocean: The Last Hope. Though, I toughed that one out and beat it. Looking back, that was a colossal waste of time.

Well, my wife just put a load of Harvest Moon on her wishlist, two DS games and two Wii games. (My son has a DS and it would be for him.) Would have gone with Animal Crossing at TRU with their current deal, but they didn't seem to have ANY of the Nintendo Selects in stock.

She also says, despite the popular opinion here, she did enjoy Save The Homeland.

As for me, I've restarted FFT on PSP, since the native version is now free through PS+. Maybe I won't get frustrated and quit this time...

I played Star Ocean 4 till you meet the green haired gay space elf and quit.

Blue Dragon was stale during the middle, I came close to quitting. But I picked it back up several months later and I'm glad I stuck with. It felt very complete with lots of side quests and secrets. The thing I hated about BD were the achievements. I was like 40 hours in with 15 nerd points. They don't start popping until you're done with the game.

I Don't know why, But I find Blue Dragon abit "repulsive" (In the less offensive meaning of the word, as in non-attractive).
In most of the gameplay I've seen so far, the environment looks pretty bland and depressing.
Kind of weird, since I really liked the PS2 Dragon Quests.

Are either of those Untold Legends games worth $4? They're on sale to Plus member this week.

There was also some MMO looking type game that came out last week for $29.

[quote name='eldergamer']Are either of those Untold Legends games worth $4? They're on sale to Plus member this week.

There was also some MMO looking type game that came out last week for $29.[/QUOTE]

They were pretty lackluster and generic when released, nothing to good, but for $4 is an ok price for untold legends 2, but honestly their are far better games in that genre for PSP or even Vita (Ragnarok Odyssey), okay maybe not same genre but both are action/rpgs

[quote name='Jean Luc Picard']I Don't know why, But I find Blue Dragon abit "repulsive" (In the less offensive meaning of the word, as in non-attractive).
In most of the gameplay I've seen so far, the environment looks pretty bland and depressing.
Kind of weird, since I really liked the PS2 Dragon Quests.[/QUOTE]

Rushing to it's defense I will add it was Mistwalkers first game as a developer. That and it is a 6 year old game coming out early in the 360's lifespan. Out of all the early Japanese 360 games BD was probably the best looking one.

Personally I didn't mind BD's environments, but I can understand why some might feel they're dated or bland. I will add that it's got some fun music and the enemy designs by Toriyama equally as fun and humorous. I love that the classic slimes from DQ were replaced by Poo Poo Warriors.

I found the best loophole in A Wonderful Life today:

Individual seeds for fruit trees are expensive; even at half-price they rival what I can get for rare fish.

I bought a seed maker awhile back; it can make up to 24 seeds at a time, though the process takes a couple of days. And it turns out that I can sell seeds (at 50% of the retail price) to the traveling salesman who shows up twice a month.

So yeah, it won't take me as long as I thought to get that 60,000 G farm upgrade :D

[quote name='Rodimus']Rushing to it's defense I will add it was Mistwalkers first game as a developer. That and it is a 6 year old game coming out early in the 360's lifespan. Out of all the early Japanese 360 games BD was probably the best looking one.

Personally I didn't mind BD's environments, but I can understand why some might feel they're dated or bland. I will add that it's got some fun music and the enemy designs by Toriyama equally as fun and humorous. I love that the classic slimes from DQ were replaced by Poo Poo Warriors.[/QUOTE]

Its a conundrum......

While the first phew hours of the game look incredibly dull, I've heard that it gets quite amazing when you reach the 15hour mark.
As I understand, you actually get to explore stuff at that point.

I guess I'll just have to try it myself.

Barthandelus in Oerba is such a fantastic fight. Whole party was down to their last pixels, had him in the final stagger, and just manged to inch out enough Technique Points for Lightning to cast a Renew during the last volleys of triple commando.

Can't believe I've gotten this far with only a level 1 medic and nothing beyond the first Cure spell.

[quote name='panzerfaust']Barthandelus in Oerba is such a fantastic fight. Whole party was down to their last pixels, had him in the final stagger, and just manged to inch out enough Technique Points for Lightning to cast a Renew during the last volleys of triple commando.[/QUOTE]
Agree, that battle system (and game) really shines when it's pushing you to your limit in a difficult fight.

[quote name='The Crotch']So apparently BGEE is buggy as hell and one of the new companions is totally worthless.

Y/N?[/QUOTE]

Y, but I'm waiting for iPad version personally.

Started Torchlight II tonight. Not very far in, but I can already tell this is going to be a worthy sequel to Torchlight and a great game in general. It's also very, very pretty.

There is only Project Eternity. There was only ever Project Eternity.

It's cool that Wasteland and Shadowrun are getting chances again, too. I'll definitely check those out, but I'm nowhere near the fan of Wasteland/Fallout or Shadowrun as I am of BG2 and Black Isle/Troika/Obsidian.

When Obsidian started their countdown timer thing on their website I figured it was just them trying to hype up an announcement of the Wheel of Time RPG that they were supposed to have coming up. Which, y'know, it's nice that they're getting work, but I haven't really cared about that license since I was, like, 16. I'd pretty much discounted the possibility of a proper IE-style RPG ever being made again, so the whole Project Eternity thing has got me excited as a motherfuck. I mean fuck, reading their kickstarter page and seeing "limited voice acting" listed as a positive for a game? Sign me the fuck up.

And the project lead, Josh Sawyer, is pretty active on formspring and Something Awful, so it's really cool (and reassuring; dude knows his stuff) to hear him talk about random RPG bullshit.

Is this the thread where I can talk about Mass Effect 3?

I've always enjoyed the lore since the RPG elements were given the back seat. I found myself reading the codex more often than actually playing the game.

They need a codex app (for both Mass Effect and Dragon Age) so I can read that shit during class. Same thing with the all the books in Morrowind/Oblivion/Skyrim.

[quote name='GhostShark']They need a codex app (for both Mass Effect and Dragon Age) so I can read that shit during class. Same thing with the all the books in Morrowind/Oblivion/Skyrim.[/QUOTE]

Why would you want to use it during class? Shouldn't you be paying attention? This fucking generation of slackers...

nofun-jpg.2703

[quote name='Indignate']Isn't there a copy of the codex on the app store?

I could have sworn that I heard that was a thing.[/QUOTE]

The Mass Effect 3 Datapad free app has a partial codex in it.

Shit Yggdra Union just drags on and on and on and on.

Only on the 18th battle field (out of 45?). And this is after maybe 10 hours in too. I'd like to start Persona, but don't want to abandon this until I'm either completly stuck or totally bored with the gameplay.

(Not realizing I could set the battle speed to High until about half way in probably slowed me down too)

Last day to contribute to Project Eternity's PayPal, ya berks.
[quote name='j-cart']Is this the thread where I can talk about Mass Effect 3?

I've always enjoyed the lore since the RPG elements were given the back seat. I found myself reading the codex more often than actually playing the game.[/QUOTE]
Well, there's an active Mass Effect 3 thread in the 360 subforum, but that one usually talks about multiplayer.

And you know that any conversation about ME3 is probably just going to turn into me complaining about some random bullshit in the end.

bread's done
Back