RPG Thread XVII - Talk of RPGs past.

I do miss SAB a lot, but this is a personal challenge. Sadly I doubt I'll be able to down the final boss without a good medic.

And yeah triple Commando is how I've melted everything so far.

[quote name='panzerfaust']I do miss SAB a lot, but this is a personal challenge. Sadly I doubt I'll be able to down the final boss without a good medic.

And yeah triple Commando is how I've melted everything so far.[/QUOTE]
I see. What team are you using? Fang, Light, Snow?

Anyone playing that Elminage Original first person dungeon crawler that came out for the PSP/VITA on the PSN store a few weeks ago?

Looks old school. Gamefaqs has no walk through for it, so I doubt I'll be picking it up. $14.99 is a little steep for me.

[quote name='eldergamer']Anyone playing that Elminage Original first person dungeon crawler that came out for the PSP/VITA on the PSN store a few weeks ago?

Looks old school. Gamefaqs has no walk through for it, so I doubt I'll be picking it up. $14.99 is a little steep for me.[/QUOTE]

I have not. If I had more time, I would. But with EO4 coming out in a few months...

[quote name='KtMack23']Thanks! I just preordered the German version. When I'm charged will they just convert my payment to USD?[/QUOTE]

Your card will do the conversion. They might charge a fee for the foreign conversion though. That happened to me when I bought from Zavvi before. You might want to inquire about the fees for it (for me it was only a couple bucks so I didn't care). Also, you might want to call your card and tell them you're making an online purchase from Germany so they don't shut your card down. When I bought from Zavvi I had to call my card to get them to let me use it again (fraud protection had temporarily deactivated it).

Wait, will the book be in German if you buy from Germany? Maybe you should chose Zavvi unless you already read that the book is still English.

[quote name='Blaster man']Your card will do the conversion. They might charge a fee for the foreign conversion though. That happened to me when I bought from Zavvi before. You might want to inquire about the fees for it (for me it was only a couple bucks so I didn't care). Also, you might want to call your card and tell them you're making an online purchase from Germany so they don't shut your card down. When I bought from Zavvi I had to call my card to get them to let me use it again (fraud protection had temporarily deactivated it).

Wait, will the book be in German if you buy from Germany? Maybe you should chose Zavvi unless you already read that the book is still English.[/QUOTE]
I need to check with Google chrome translate , but when looking at the page in mobile it said something about engladof-a-however they say English in German, so I think I'm good. I was going to switch my previous order to Zavvi but I can't find it on their site. Anyone got a link? And do they charge when I order or when it ships?

[quote name='KtMack23']I need to check with Google chrome translate , but when looking at the page in mobile it said something about engladof-a-however they say English in German, so I think I'm good. I was going to switch my previous order to Zavvi but I can't find it on their site. Anyone got a link? And do they charge when I order or when it ships?[/QUOTE]
Looks like Zavvi is now sold out.
http://www.zavvi.com/games/platform...he-white-witch-wizard-s-edition/10624958.html

Played through about the first half hour or so of Eternal Sonata last night. *yawn*.
What a completely dull opening. No threat of evil, no compelling characters, no mysterious fantasy world...

And, I got to play as a little girl named Polka! And a little boy named Beat!

Tales of Vesperia is fucking amazing.
Estellise is supposed to be a typically and annoyingly naive airhead, yet I want to marry her and protect her for the end of time.

And that dog is a boss.

Yeah, I am gonna back it as well. I am currently playing the first one right now and it's equal parts brilliant and humorous.

[quote name='Jean Luc Picard']Tales of Vesperia is fucking amazing.
Estellise is supposed to be a typically and annoyingly naive airhead, yet I want to marry her and protect her for the end of time.

And that dog is a boss.[/QUOTE]

Yeah. For a JRPG, especially one from the past few years, it has surprisingly great characterization. Even the "annoying kid" archetype is more endearing than annoying. And Troy Baker totally kills it as Yuri. Awesome game.

[quote name='Jean Luc Picard']Tales of Vesperia is fucking amazing.

And that dog is a boss.[/QUOTE]

I always thought Estelle was borderline retarded. Now Judith is one of the few video game women I liked.

I have an indescribable mancrush on the lead designer of Project Eternity:

A9zO767CcAAz4XB.jpg

Vesperia chars?

I think all of them are pretty cool. Except Karol, that guy sucked cause he kept bitching all game. Raven's plot twist was dumb though.

Estelle was endearing, but I don't know if she could match Judy being the embodiment of sex appeal. zomg.

Man there's useless shit in every RPG I've ever played. Half the stats in Demon's Souls aren't even worth increasing.

Hope this guy is making something truly legendary.

[quote name='panzerfaust']Man there's useless shit in every RPG I've ever played. Half the stats in Demon's Souls aren't even worth increasing.[/QUOTE]
Part of the problem is that people who like RPGs are fucking terrible.

The third edition of D&D introduced a feat that you can take on level up called "Toughness". Toughness is a pretty simple thing that gives you a small HP boost every time you choose it on level up. And it is fucking terrible. It is a godawful piece of shit feat that you should never, ever take (unless, like, you're playing a wizard and the game only goes up to level 3 or some shit). When asked about the feat, one of the designers said that they made it intentionally weak to trap inexperienced players and reward "system mastery". And because people who like RPGs are fucking terrible, some people actually thought that this was a good thing.

I think most 3e-based PC game reworked toughness to not be total shit because the people in charge weren't fucking idiots. But a lot of the fans of these games still are. I can guaranfuckingtee you that if it is possible to kill any enemy in Project Eternity without casting a spell (mages were pretty much essential in BG2 and Icewind Dale for buffs, debuffs, and save-or-be-fuckeds), there will be neckbeards crying about how Obsidian betrayed them and their Kickstarter donation because mages aren't sooper speshul anymore. Because we are stupid people with shitty opinions.

[quote name='The Crotch']When asked about the feat, one of the designers said that they made it intentionally weak to trap inexperienced players and reward "system mastery". And because people who like RPGs are fucking terrible, some people actually thought that this was a good thing.[/QUOTE]

That is hilarious. "How dare this game be fun for anyone outside of ME and my special tiny group!?"

All stats are useless in Dark Souls, which makes it awesome :D

Can we get a list of all the pointless perks in Fallout 3 and NV Crotch?

[quote name='Ryuukishi']That is hilarious. "How dare this game be fun for anyone outside of ME and my special tiny group!?"[/QUOTE]
Most people think that he just made that up to cover for the fact that 3E was comically fucking unbalanced, but the general sentiment is surprisingly common.
[quote name='j-cart']All stats are useless in Dark Souls, which makes it awesome :D

Can we get a list of all the pointless perks in Fallout 3 and NV Crotch?[/QUOTE]
Maybe if I'd played either of them recently. Off the top of my head, anything that boosts SPECIAL stats can easily become irrelevant, either because of the very low hard-cap of 10 or because of the "almost perfect" perk. Damage resistance boosters are also tricky because, again, there's a hard cap on that. Cannibalism was useless in Fallout 3, the one that got you a free level was absolutely fucking terrible, rad resistance never mattered, and the explode-when-at-low-health perk was pretty shit. Some perks were the exact opposite: seemingly shit but actually awesome. Most notably, Fallout 3's "pyromaniac" gave +50% damage from fire weapons, which turned the shiskebob into a fucking monster of a melee weapon.

Also, the lead designer of New Vegas is the guy talking in that video, the lead designer of Project Eternity. I thought New Vegas was a lot better balanced than Fallout 3 (which was better balanced than the original games where any character with low agility was basically just a gimmick/challenge run), and I thought the use of perks to make lower-grade equipment useful in the late game was really neat instead of forcing you to either hobble yourself or wear power armour. We'll see how he does with his first original IP.

I was able to complete Persona 4 Golden a few minutes ago. The new content was refreshing, although a bit of it was clearly just for fanservice. Anyways, I thought Marie was a pretty cool character.
I thought it was interesting how Marie turned out to be the other half of Izanami. I was wondering how Atlus was going to make her relevant to the story and the "truth." Her dungeon was somewhat annoying though. >_>
As for the ending (as well as P4: Arena):
The epilogue was pretty cool. It confirmed that P4: Arena is indeed canon. However, whether the group and the members of SEES managed to defeat the true evil from the true ending of P4:A remains to be seen. If Atlus does decide to follow up on the story, it will be interesting to see just how involved the investigation team is involved in the new case, considering the epilogue takes place about 3-4 months after the events of Arena. Of course, Elizabeth has the Wild Card now so maybe the team won't be involved much in the case until later on. If so, then the "Welcome Home" from the epilogue makes sense (this meaning that he is indeed moving back to Inaba in order to help with the case).

Here and Now perk is by far the most hilariously useless perk in Fallout. Such a waste :D Lose a perk slot to gain a level? Hah!

Does anyone have opinions on the Tales 3DS game? Im thinking about popping it in for shits and giggles, don't really have time for it right now tho

[quote name='Indignate']Troy had throwing spears. And Pitt ass.

9/10.[/QUOTE]
Other thing that makes New Vegas basically the best thing ever: the number of people that picked the "confirmed bachelor" perk and got upset because of all the gay dialogue options.

Wrapped up Barkley's Shut Up and Jam Gaiden. By far the most fun I've had with a RPG not named Borderlands 2 or Skyrim in a very long time.

Where have I been, Ni No Kuni demo is out (although I will wait since I already have the game preordered and my GF will force me to buy the game anyway because she loves Ghibli) and Barkley 2.

I just backed Barkley Shut Up and Jam Gaiden 2 because god damn this sounds amazing.

Jsawyer.esp time with New Vegas LET'S GO!
[quote name='Indignate']Wait hold on.

What is this? I need to pick it the next time I play.[/QUOTE]
It's available at level 1 with no requirements. It's the one with the two dudes and the naked backrub.

It's also one of the single most useful perks in the game, giving you +10% damage against all male enemies. Way more powerful than its heterosexual equivalent "Lady Killer" due to the relative lack of female enemies..

Last edited by a moderator:
There's a lesbian equivalent whose name escapes me at the moment, but it's not as useful for the same reason as Lady Killer.

The best couriers are gay men and heterosexual women.

Playing tales of legendia right now. Almost to the end of the main quest. The game is kinda boring and I am honestly surprised I made it this far.

Anyone play Legend of Legaia 2 for the ps2? I enjoyed the first one and picked up the 2nd one recently.

I also have Ar tolenico 1 and 2 to play. Any thoughts on them. I enjoyed the Alterier Isis series (well for the most part) on PS2. I didn't enjoy the PS3 versions...to much emphasis on picking up stuff and alchemy.

Can't decide which to start next. Any comments on Legend of Legaia 2 and Ar Tolenico 1 would be appreciated.

Tales of the Abyss will be my next tales game...unless Xillia is finished being localized before I get to Abyss.

Talk about a boring game. Legaia 2 is extremely boring. I loved the first game but could not bring myself to slump through the second one.

Maybe you'll find more entertainment out of it, I don't know. Abyss is pretty good, you should probably just go straight to that.

The main quest is only about half of Legendia. If you are bored now you will never finish the character quest. I would stop and move on to Abyss, a superior game than the other games you listed.

[quote name='godsentdeath']Playing tales of legendia right now. Almost to the end of the main quest. The game is kinda boring and I am honestly surprised I made it this far.

I also have Ar tolenico 1 and 2 to play. Any thoughts on them. I enjoyed the Alterier Isis series (well for the most part) on PS2. I didn't enjoy the PS3 versions...to much emphasis on picking up stuff and alchemy.

Can't decide which to start next. Any comments on Legend of Legaia 2 and Ar Tolenico 1 would be appreciated.

Tales of the Abyss will be my next tales game...unless Xillia is finished being localized before I get to Abyss.[/QUOTE]

I'm probably in the minority of people that really enjoyed Legendia. Maybe because I came in with such super low expecations, but I loved the music, characters, and art style. Story wasn't anything special but it kept me playing.

The Character Quests (ie, the second half of the game), on the other hand, just bored the living shit outta me. Ended up youtubing 90% of that.

Played ~ 1/3 of the first Ar Tonelico. Reminds me I need to go back to it. It's not "amazing" but I still definitely enjoyed it (and am a sucker for 2D spritework...). Just don't play around, well, anyone. Sooooo much double-entendre, my roommate occasionally thought I was watching hentai...

I'll agree with 62t that you should play Abyss next. I really really like that game (and still need to get the 3DS port at some point). Word of warning if playing on a BC PS3: there is 1 dungeon that you cannot enter on the PS3, so be prepared to transfer your save to a PS2 card, clear that dungeon, and transfer it back. You can then play everything else in the game on the PS3 (it looks hella cleaner on PS3 with upscaling imho). Sorry but I don't recall which dungeon it is, but it's a decent clip into the game.

TLDR version: Play Abyss.

whooo woooo!!!! time for a late 2012 RPG update!

I finished 2 non RGP games (Sleeping Dogs & Walking Deads) so I'm jumping back onto dat RPG sheeyit!!

finally FINALLY started up Trails in the Sky, got almost an hour in and just finished the first "tutorial" dungeon.

nothing exciting thus far but definitely lookin forward to stickin with it for the rest of the year.

then once 2013 starts I'm finally FINALLY gonna start the apparent greatest game ever made,

Planescape Torment

been waiting a long time for both of these!!

as a matter of fact, I'll prolly be starting Planescape on the 1 year anniversary of me being at Magfest and talking to some dood about games when he was like

"maaaan fukk all your other games!! when u get home u needa start playing Planescape NOW!!!"

sorry I made u wait a year homie. I cant even remember your name lol

[quote name='The Crotch']I wasn't aware that I went to Magfest.[/QUOTE]I didnt think I said it was you...

I dont even kno u lol.

it was a dood me & Jimbo met to play street fighter and marvel with.

bread's done
Back