RPG Thread XVII - Talk of RPGs past.

[quote name='panzerfaust']you don't see the clear cecil throwback in that outfit? you should be happy![/QUOTE]

51.gif

i don't see it

but seriously, outfits are one thing but i'm talking about the characters and the general direction of the series

[quote name='The Crotch']Yeah, story went to hell.[/QUOTE]

Maybe you made some bad choices... Like that ever happens.

Have you played any of the flashpoints?

[quote name='panzerfaust']You typed 3 paragraphs just now and said "fuck it," didn't you?[/QUOTE]

I assume that Crotch always has an essay written and then just says, "they'll never get it."

[quote name='The Crotch']I am not physically capable of deleting my own words.[/QUOTE]

I know how hard it is to click the "x" on the top right.

[quote name='kainzero']
but seriously, outfits are one thing but i'm talking about the characters and the general direction of the series[/QUOTE]

Direction of the series was changed long ago. However I like the idea of the game dealing with an active time clock due to the time traveling plot.

pah, the similarities are clear as day!

but yeah i get you. shallow characters, dialogue is suddenly cheesy now, too much leaning towards pop culture, style over substance, focus on graphics over gameplay, linearity sucks, villains aren't real villains anymore, XIII sold a 2-3 mil less than X. just an awful gen for Square so far.

hope they get back to their roots and follow in the steps of mistwalker when the PS4/720 come round. or remake FFVII.

[quote name='panzerfaust']pah, the similarities are clear as day!

but yeah i get you. shallow characters, dialogue is suddenly cheesy now, too much leaning towards pop culture, style over substance, focus on graphics over gameplay, linearity sucks, villains aren't real villains anymore, XIII sold a 2-3 mil less than X. just an awful gen for Square so far.

hope they get back to their roots and follow in the steps of mistwalker when the PS4/720 come round. or remake FFVII.[/QUOTE]

They need FF14 2.0 to really knock it out of the park. If it burns again, SE won't be looking pretty.

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/183641/Square_Enixs_LA_offices_hit_by_layoffs.php#.UNInGW_AeAY

Happened just this week.

[quote name='j-cart']Maybe you made some bad choices... Like that ever happens.

Have you played any of the flashpoints?[/QUOTE]
Basically, the entire chapter was focused on preparing a Jedi character to fall to the dark side and... it kinda sorta really sucked. Like, her "I'm evil now" dialogue was just silly as hell.

I only did one flashpoint. Something about some aliens taking over a Republic station. It seems kinda weird to me that they'd put all these cutscenes and dialogue bits in areas where you're forced to group up. Like, half the group wants to sit and watch the fish-man talk while everyone else is just grinding through missions as fast as possible.

[quote name='panzerfaust']stop making sense jcart, blame XIII.[/QUOTE]

I can't, I knew people at that office :(

[quote name='The Crotch']Basically, the entire chapter was focused on preparing a Jedi character to fall to the dark side and... it kinda sorta really sucked. Like, her "I'm evil now" dialogue was just silly as hell.

I only did one flashpoint. Something about some aliens taking over a Republic station. It seems kinda weird to me that they'd put all these cutscenes and dialogue bits in areas where you're forced to group up. Like, half the group wants to sit and watch the fish-man talk while everyone else is just grinding through missions as fast as possible.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, that whole portion of the companion story was pretty "meh" I heard. But the people say it wraps up really well in Chapter 3. As for Flashpoints, you need to really play them with a group of friends. Do the group queue when you are just trying to do dailies, but for your first time and such, group up. I only push this, because there are three flashpoints that you really NEED to play (one of them is on the republic side). Two of them are before level 50 and the final one is at level 50.

Even when I did a Flashpoint, or a heroic Flashpoint, with friends, we skipped all the dialogue. Once you see it, there really is no point to see it again. Just skip conversations, kill easy bosses, and get loot.

[quote name='GhostShark']Even when I did a Flashpoint, or a heroic Flashpoint, with friends, we skipped all the dialogue. Once you see it, there really is no point to see it again. Just skip conversations, kill easy bosses, and get loot.[/QUOTE]

That is why I encourage those to doing any flashpoint the first time to do with friends. I was pretty fortunate on having all my co-workers at the time playing the game and leveling up together.

I feel like an idiot not buying those D&D anthology sets last year. I mean yeah I can grab it on sale digitally but new sealed retail copies are going for like $80-100 on ebay.

I will end up grabbing them next time they are on sale digitally.

[quote name='j-cart']They need FF14 2.0 to really knock it out of the park. If it burns again, SE won't be looking pretty.

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/183641/Square_Enixs_LA_offices_hit_by_layoffs.php#.UNInGW_AeAY

Happened just this week.[/QUOTE]
i honestly don't know what SE in LA does.

and i worked there!

[quote name='panzerfaust']or remake FFVII.[/QUOTE]
i honestly don't know why square isn't doing this.
it's clear that it was their best property and they would profit massively from remaking it. they are literally sitting on a gold mine and doing nothing about it.

on top of that, ff7 was a rushed title and there was a lot of unfinished stuff. and the translation was terrible. they can do so much to improve it. it is really frustrating.

Isn't it naive to think they could profit more from a different HD Final Fantasy release than what they've accomplished with XIII (6-7 million sold)? Not to mention VII would have to be completely re-imagined in order to sell to a modern market anyway, or does everyone really think it's a 10 million unit pusher just waiting to be shat out by Square? Just give it the White Engine touch up and a new script, and nostalgia will shove 10 million out the door?

I just don't think it's that simple, and if it were, Square would of gladly milked that a long time ago. But translating such an old game over such a huge jump of technology would be absurdly difficult. The PSX version of the game is worth about as much as a piece of concept art at this point, and people act like the groundwork is already covered. It's clearly not cheaper or safer in any way to go back to VII, why risk it when you could explore different avenues and paste the name to something new?

And aside from the business standpoint, what really irks me is that people think Square looks pathetic now but would love to seem them crawl back to a game a different team created over a decade ago. Who would want such an incapable team to tackle an old classic? They couldn't even get The After Years right with FFIV.

Yeah... I don't really get it either. Final Fantasy X and/or XII are still recent enough that upping the resolution and dropping in some higher quality textures would make it look presentable to a new audience. An HD remake of Final Fantasy VII at this point would be a completely new project they'd have to code from the ground up. That's the reason Metal Gear Solid 1 wasn't included in the HD MGS collection.

Not to mention the script. Put some voice acting behind those words and I guarantee it's going to seem a lot sillier and less coherent than people remember. Look at the different direction they're taken with Advent Children and Crisis Core. They'd have to rewrite a lot of FF7 to make it fit in with modern RPGs.

Nah, FFVII doesn't have to be rewritten, just retranslated. If you compare the official FFVII English translation with early fan translations of the Japanese script, the difference is almost like night and day.

[quote name='panzerfaust']Just give it the White Engine touch up and a new script, and nostalgia will shove 10 million out the door?[/quote]
pretty much, yeah.

although really, i understand it's not that simple, but i'm pretty sure SE has the resources and the knowhow to do it.

ff7 is a revered classic and a game that would benefit massively from a remake. i just don't see how they can screw it up.

(i thought crisis core was a superbly done game. how many man tears were shed at the ending? oh man.)

They couldn't even get The After Years right with FFIV.
The After Years was fine. people think the whole game is ridiculous and cheap but it captures ff4 exactly, i think. i thought it was quite fun. keep in mind it was designed for cellphones.

when people think about the pinnacle of the series, generally most camps go with 6 and 7 with 10 as a fairly distant third place. 4 is usually not regarded as that great.

[quote name='kainzero']
although really, i understand it's not that simple, but i'm pretty sure SE has the resources and the knowhow to do it. [/quote]

no doubt, it's just those resources can be put to infinitely better use on an expandable and more modern project. they didn't want to pour money on old designs and for very good reason.

So, PSN has on sale this week Two Worlds II: Velvet Edition (4 worlds? Soft worlds?) For $5! Five bucks!

I think I vaguely remember renting this from gamefly, a year ago and finding it exceedingly generic.
Does memory serve me right?

There's not much I wouldn't play for $5.

(Hexyz Force is on sale this week for $7 too. How is that?)

ok that FFXIII trailer looked cool and all, but wtf is it with "dumbing down" the party system? XIII: full party. XIII-2: 2 characters and pets. XIII: Just Lighting...

Still looks pretty cool though, hopefully there's more that we're just not seeing yet.

[quote name='Zmonkay']ok that FFXIII trailer looked cool and all, but wtf is it with "dumbing down" the party system? XIII: full party. XIII-2: 2 characters and pets. XIII: Just Lighting...

Still looks pretty cool though, hopefully there's more that we're just not seeing yet.[/QUOTE]

How dare you say something like this and not link people a trailer!

www.youtube.com/watch?v=ajSAdgXU1ts&feature=youtu.be

As Panzer said, :drool: on Lighting's getup.

lightning-returns-ffxiii-trailer.png

[quote name='The Crotch']FuSoYa isn't the greatest character of all time?[/QUOTE]
golbez has all the crystals... what do we do?

LET'S GO TO THE MOON

[quote name='Zmonkay']ok that FFXIII trailer looked cool and all, but wtf is it with "dumbing down" the party system? XIII: full party. XIII-2: 2 characters and pets. XIII: Just Lighting...[/QUOTE]

tumblr_mfb8hbNTuM1qblvxio1_500.gif

tumblr_m9t90w1H5U1qaepmzo1_1280.png

I would watch this, seriously I would. Think about all the awesome leg shots and poses we would get in a two and half hour movie.

A couple of the people at the new Black Isle worked on Fallout 1. I think.

But they're literally asking for money for nothing. And unlike a Kickstarter, they don't have to hit any actual threshold to get funding.

That's why I wanted your reaction to it. Kickstarter is already something I don't get why people would toss their money at, but what Black Isle is doing, is basically asking with nothing to show.

[quote name='panzerfaust']looks like a combo system[/QUOTE]

I know I'm excited. FF games need the combat system of tales systems if they want to be at all engaging in 2013

[quote name='j-cart']How dare you say something like this and not link people a trailer![/QUOTE]
Haha, but Luxuria had already posted it above...

[quote name='Ryuukishi']
[/QUOTE]

OH SNAP!

Anyone play any of the Chaos Rings games on iOS? They're on sale and I'm thinking about them. Look like a great RPG throwback and have good reviews, but I trust you guys more than review sites (except for those that said The Last Story was worth playing. Ya'll crazy).

[quote name='Ryuukishi']
[/QUOTE]

Should say Swag.

[quote name='j-cart']I would watch this, seriously I would. Think about all the awesome leg shots and poses we would get in a two and half hour movie.[/QUOTE]

That's weird. She's a polygonal model Jake Heart.

[quote name='panzerfaust']fuck The Last Story and everyone who makes excuses for it[/QUOTE]

I think fucking Chedders is still illegal.

[quote name='panzerfaust']ill never let you live your last story recommendation down[/QUOTE]

But I don't say that it's better than Xenoblade. That's Chedders.

[quote name='Gvaz']Xenoblade is the best RPG of 2010-forever anyways. It even makes older games look bad.[/QUOTE]

This statement is wrong in so many ways that it would only take Crotch to be able to spell it all out.

My body is only capable of producing so much bile per annum, and I've a wretched excess of places to spread it. Xenoblade is not perfect, but its flaws tend towards the inoffencive.

bread's done
Back