RPG Thread XVII - Talk of RPGs past.

No dude, if someone was telling you "fuck everything else, play PST", it was probably me.

Which is doubly weird because I don't play fighting games.

[quote name='The Crotch']No dude, if someone was telling you "fuck everything else, play PST", it was probably me.

Which is doubly weird because I don't play fighting games.[/QUOTE]well u should go to Magfest... it's a ton of fun!!

I wanna go again but it's at a time of the year when I wanna go out of the country lol.

I think the advice Crotch is talking about is this:

http://thunderpeel2001.blogspot.com/2009/01/planescape-torment-fully-modded.html

and

http://www.gog.com/news/mod_spotlight_planescape_torment_mods_guide/

it's not much of an image as it's actually a whole article, unless u meant something else...

Nah, that's really the most important bit. There's also some minor shit about a CTD bug with the widescreen mod and moonwalking, but I don't remember the exact details about those.

Enjoy. And pump wisdom. Wisdom's the shit.

dq7 ds is very hype.

the game was ugly when it came out, worse graphics than NES... could've been so much better.

and now it will be!

I never finished 7 because it was so ungodly long and I never really felt attached to it due to it feeling extremely dated. Liked a bunch of stuff about it and tried going back to it, but I could never put more than 40-50 hours before I would drop it. Maybe if we get it localized on the 3DS, I may actually finish it.

Same. So hype for the 3DS game. Rented it on PS1, and the graphics and interface moreso than any other aspect just completely turned me off. Love me some DQ4, 5, and 8 though (still need to play 6 and 9).

Speaking of DQ9, is it good/worth playing if you'd never, ever experience the multiplayer?

[quote name='Zmonkay']Speaking of DQ9, is it good/worth playing if you'd never, ever experience the multiplayer?[/QUOTE]

I enjoyed it. If you like min\maxing, the post-game dungeons (from maps if I remember right) will provide you with a lot of game time. They can also be somewhat challenging.

the multiplayer in dq9 is mostly just sharing dungeon maps. you can play with other people too but that doesn't do much.

it's possible to get maps if you have one of those R4-type cards and some DS trickery, you can download save files. that's what i did.

the well known maps are maps that either have treasure chests fully mapped out (as in, you can literally get anything you want from certain chests) or they have things like floors full of metal kings.

you can do without them too, but dungeon crawling might get a little annoying. grinding goes by so much faster when you have the maps.

still, with me, i just liked the story =)

Glad to hear the story is good. I was afraid that would get the shaft in favor of multiplayer elements. Not a big fan of min/maxing or grinding (ironic when talking about DQ but whatevs). I mainly play RPGs for story, so it looks like I'll have to pick it up at some point. Thanks guys.

Lightning's new look in Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII

lightning_Returns_thumb.jpg

Diggin' it, but it doesn't really match her. Dark Mage Knight?

Awesome, love it. Haven't they talked a lot about customization and different armor sets though? So this may only be her "default" look.

Is that Class of Heroes for the PSP worth the $7.99 it's on sale for?

I like first person dungeon crawlers. (If they have an auto-map)

[quote name='Zmonkay']Glad to hear the story is good. I was afraid that would get the shaft in favor of multiplayer elements. Not a big fan of min/maxing or grinding (ironic when talking about DQ but whatevs). I mainly play RPGs for story, so it looks like I'll have to pick it up at some point. Thanks guys.[/QUOTE]
fyi the story is an acquired taste

dq is never a crazy story with twists and turns but simple and straightforward

[quote name='kainzero']fyi the story is an acquired taste

dq is never a crazy story with twists and turns but simple and straightforward[/QUOTE]
He's liked past DQs, so I think he'd like DQ9 as well ;)

The one thing that's very different about DQ9's story is that it contains a lot of mini-stories (maybe because it was developed as a portable game?).

I got stuck somewhere on DQ 7 where you couldn't get back to the temple to switch jobs, and I was stuck in a less effective class. Somewhere near a volcano, I think?

I dont have the best history with the Dragon Quest/Warrior Games.
DQ 1/2 - played on the GBA. Never finished.
DQ IV - played on the DS. Finished, didnt do extra content.
DQ V - not played yet. probably never will.
DQ 6 - On the :ds: . Got to final boss. Couldn't beat him. Gave up.
DQ 7 - See Above
DQ 8 - Finished on the :ps2: . Didnt do any of the extra/bonus dragon battles.
DQ 9 - Gave up somewhere around 80% of the way in. Just got bored with. Game was pretty dull. Item creation/alchemy was tedious.

[quote name='Zmonkay']Same. So hype for the 3DS game. Rented it on PS1, and the graphics and interface moreso than any other aspect just completely turned me off. Love me some DQ4, 5, and 8 though (still need to play 6 and 9).

Speaking of DQ9, is it good/worth playing if you'd never, ever experience the multiplayer?[/QUOTE]

It has none of the charm of dq8

dq9 wasn't tedious for me, i think most people stuck with one class.

it's easier to just switch classes and gain a few levels in those, and save the skill points to use in whatever your primary class is. it's a lot easier to go from 1-12 than it is to go from 12-15. i remember reading about people struggling against the last boss at like level 35 or something, and i fought him no problem at 10 levels below that, mostly because i would change class so much.

That costume is alright, but a costume can't help a lame character. Here is to hoping that the game is actually good. Third time is the charm, as the cliché goes.

I didn't like the first one, with the lone exception of the spectacular soundtrack. It's not that the game was inherently bad, but it was just mediocre-to-OK. I didn't like the characters except Fang. Fang was awesome and sexy. It was also a really easy game, at least to me. I'd give it like a C- if I had to label a rating on it.

However, for the most part, I enjoyed XIII-2 because it was simpler and focused on a much smaller cast. There were some quirks with the dialogue and narrative direction, but overall, I enjoyed it more than XIII.

[quote name='panzerfaust']lord that outfit :drool:

i want to send nomura a christmas card[/QUOTE]
I'll confess that it's probably because I haven't played FFXIII and don't know the character and am also a huge jerk, but I don't get it.

I just like the character concept, is all. Nomura (character designer) has done a great job making the franchise look more contemporary this gen with the new casts, and Lightning has made for quite the recognizable icon.

I gave up on The Old Republic.

Sith Warrior, you are stupid and poop and I do not like you.

[quote name='panzerfaust']Years ago I had a ret paladin and sold her for $300.

WoWScrnShot_072209_154906-1_zpsfd032c45.jpg

Never again.[/QUOTE]
That is the most amazing thing ever. I assume you had to spell the name wrong because someone else beat you to it?

[quote name='panzerfaust']I just like the character concept, is all. Nomura (character designer) has done a great job making the franchise look more contemporary this gen with the new casts, and Lightning has made for quite the recognizable icon.[/QUOTE]
Fair enough.

For all that I jerk off over the Infinity Engine games, their character art was often pretty shitty. Sarevok and Vhailor had some of the dumbest looking armour I've ever seen (which is kind of bad because Vhailor is literally just a suit of armour), and much as I loved Annah of the Shadows, seriously, this is not good artwork. There's a mod that replaces a lot of the 3D art for PST with mostly-good fanwork, at least. Of course, the style and quality is inconsistent, but Annah and Grace come off a lot better for it.

[quote name='j-cart']Gawd, you guys suck. There is no MMO talk here, ever.[/QUOTE]

Sold my FFXI Red Mage years ago for a few hundred. Still have my WoW Warlock, but I haven't touched it in 5+ years.

Miss my old FFXI guild, but other than that, no MMOs any more for me.

It was either the extra 'n' or putting an accent over the 'e' like a complete tool.

I assume IE models look better from the actual in game perspective, no? Not supposed to be zoomed in and all 3d like.

Well, you've already seen Annah in PST, and yeah, she looks a lot less terrible than the image I linked. Like, that's not her actual character model, it's the model the game uses for her portrait and her journal entry and I think one cutscene. All creatures and major characters get the same treatment. Annah's is just particularly ugly.

[quote name='j-cart']Gawd, you guys suck. There is no MMO talk here, ever.[/QUOTE]

I just got my t14 chest on my Druid. Does that make me cool?

I haven't so much as dicked around with an MMO since PSO. Not an MMO, but I might get online with Torchlight II once I beat the main story; not sure yet.

[quote name='panzerfaust']I just like the character concept, is all. Nomura (character designer) has done a great job making the franchise look more contemporary this gen with the new casts, and Lightning has made for quite the recognizable icon.[/QUOTE]
hmm, i dunno.
the franchise hasn't felt like a juggernaut since 10.

sure i think lightning looks hot, but there's just something about that character design that strikes me as moving in the wrong direction.

[quote name='The Crotch']I gave up on The Old Republic.

Sith Warrior, you are stupid and poop and I do not like you.
[/QUOTE]

You rolled a marauder though. Those guys are awesome. Story slowed down for you?

[quote name='kainzero']hmm, i dunno.
the franchise hasn't felt like a juggernaut since 10.

sure i think lightning looks hot, but there's just something about that character design that strikes me as moving in the wrong direction.[/QUOTE]

you don't see the clear cecil throwback in that outfit? you should be happy!

bread's done
Back