RPG Thread XVII - Talk of RPGs past.

If I were going to redo the kitchen, I'd pick the idyllic cobblestone over the stretched bloody leather on ribs. It's just me, I'd guess have to see them both in the mockups at the IKEA first-hand before making a final call.

Play-Asia has Radiant Historia as their video game Daily Deal today (and they seem to be going pretty fast). Passed on an Amazon sale awhile back and it went out of print, so I decided to nab it this time. Now watch: within a few months it'll be on sale at Amazon again...

[quote name='Luxuria']What's with the Diablo rip-off pics?[/QUOTE]

Because every one of them is being made by some sort of "ex-diablo developer", well most of them...

[quote name='j-cart']Because every one of them is being made by some sort of "ex-diablo developer", well most of them...[/QUOTE]

What?

[quote name='The Crotch']If you wanted to be even more generous, you could chalk up the "this doesn't quite feel like a parody" to the XxX_~~TrAnSlAtIoN_eRrOrS~~_XxX you were wondering about.[/QUOTE]
reading japanese script, cait sith speaks in an osakan dialect and his character is generally whimisical and silly so perhaps the cait sith "death" was an intentional overdramatization in order to build his character.

And the bait has been taken...

:D

Needs more SWTOR talk in here.

New alacrity changes are interesting, now the stat will affect energy regen and GCD rates? Talk about over stacking to make casting faster. This will provide two different styles of play, ones that will go for the raw main stat and choose to stack harder hits, or those that will cast often and sustain their hits on target.

Super excited for the new expansion that comes out next weekend.

Doesn't bait usually involve a trap of some kind? 'Cause otherwise it's just, like, free food for an animal. You kinda just... put some grain in a field and then left. So, fine. I ate your grain. What up?

EDIT: What I'm saying is, I think that post was actually a joke that didn't really work and you should drop it like I dropped TOR.

You were weak to drop TOR. You had no passion, no strength, no power to seek destruction.

Then again, you were a free player. So I'll let it slide :D

Gonna still state it as the best 8v8 PvP I have ever played. New expansion is going to make some crazy changes, I have no idea how I will setup my new build.

[quote name='kainzero']reading japanese script, cait sith speaks in an osakan dialect and his character is generally whimisical and silly so perhaps the cait sith "death" was an intentional overdramatization in order to build his character.[/QUOTE]
well, that's exactly how it came across in english, so i don't think anything was lost in translation.

having just passed the scene, he implies that he himself is sentient to some degree, so i think the gist of the whole drama is that it really is a sacrifice and a gesture of solidarity to the party's cause. and even though another cait sith appears afterwards, the original one clearly asks that you remember him regardless of any replacements that come along the way.

i don't particular like the character's presence in the game at all, but i understand the intentions behind him and i think the whole black materia scene isn't as ridiculous as i figured it to be.

which also means that the parody theory is absolute nonsense, so let's stop that.

[quote name='panzerfaust']having just passed the scene, he implies that he himself is sentient to some degree,[/QUOTE]
I couldn't ever buy into this idea, and I like Cait Sith.

And yeah, Cait/Reeve does act out of sincerely wanting to help out and make up for the whole spying thing, though I think his big rescue scene in Junon was an all-around better display of that.

I finally got around to taking FFXIII-2 out of the plastic. I've had it since release, but it just sat there since I was playing SWTOR & WoW for a while. After playing Ni No Kuni, I've been back into the console RPG groove.

Anyway, I'm in the minority that I loved FFXIII. It wasn't perfect, it was linear, but I loved the combat with the Paradigm Shifts. I'm having a really hard time getting into FFXIII-2 so far. I've played it for about 2 & 1/2 hours and I just can't get into it much. Does it get better?

Serah whining about Lightning all of the time reminds me of Hope whining about his mom. I like that they still have the Paradigm Shifts, but I'm not too crazy about the animal-link stuff. I'd rather have normal party members than the Pokemon tack-on.

I didn't mind Serah much, though Lightning was much worse in terms of dialogue and that bothered me a great deal.

But no, it's not nearly as good as XIII but I still think it's an enjoyable treasure/monster collector type game. The system still rocks even though the campaign is way too easy, and there's a lot awesome locales you get to visit along the way, so I'd keep at it.

[quote name='panzerfaust']........ and there's a lot of awesome locales you get to visit over and over and over and over and over and over again along the way, so I'd keep at it.[/QUOTE]

Fixed for truth, and my biggest gripe about XIII-2. Too much repetition. Ugh. That and speeding up the battle system. I loved VIII's battle system, but -2's never clicked for me. I need to go back and finish -2 someday before Lightning Returns.

XIII-2 was all right. I didn't think it did anything better than XIII-- If anything the story and dialog were even less coherent than XIII, which is quite a feat. But the battle system is as fantastic as ever. It's definitely worth playing if you liked the gameplay in XIII.

Nearing the end of Tales of the Abyss and already thinking about what RPG I want to play next. Since Tales (as a series) is so story-heavy, it has to be a dungeon crawler of some sort. I'm kind of in a MegaTen mood as well, so I'm thinking SMT: Strange Journey.

ahfVi6k.jpg

Two days to go; $3.5 million raised through Kickstarter as of right now, officially putting Planescape Torment lead designer Chris Avellone on the writing staff.

EDIT: I think Obsidian did a better job overall with their Kickstarter campaign, but InXile took one idea from them and really ran with it. Project Eternity has an optional dungeon called the "Endless Paths", and every time they passed a certain number of backers, they added another level to the basic concept artwork. So what started as this:
QQniow9.jpg

Turned in to this:
9FgSd62.jpg

InXile did something similar for Torment. Except it's not a strictly optional dungeon like BG2's Watcher's Keep, but rather, is an environment that you are only allowed to explore when you die. It started as this:
ShcmjHU.png

And now it looks more like this:
3fOw7mt.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow. That's a pretty crazy expansion. I hope visiting it in the actual game feels as overwhelming as it looks in that image.

Both games are going to suck balls, because the suits that work for publishers know how to make games correctly.

These kickstarter games are severely lacking that suit control.

http://www.swtor.com/info/news/blog/20130403

Don't care for this, but achievement whores will!

Achievement Completed: Breaking the Writer’s Block. Description: Wrote the first sentence of my developer blog. This achievement doesn’t reward me with a title, but it does increase my Galactic Reputation with the Community Team, so I’ve got that going for me!

Game Update 2.0: Scum and Villainy introduces the Legacy Achievements system, a means of recognizing important accomplishments and milestones for your entire Legacy. Achievements are like badges awarded for completing content, defeating enemies, exploring new regions, and a whole lot more. The Achievements you gather are displayed in a new section of your Legacy panel, where they can be viewed by other players to see how much you have accomplished with your Legacy.

What sets Legacy Achievements in Star Wars™: the Old Republic™ apart from similar achievement systems in many other games is that actions from all characters in your Legacy contribute to your Legacy Achievements. Need to discover and dance with 100 kinds of womp rats on Tatooine? No sweat---dance with 50 of them with your Scoundrel while he is on the planet and then go dance with the other 50 later with your Powertech. Your progress is tracked across both characters and the Achievement and its rewards are available to all characters in your Legacy. So you are always contributing to the same set of Achievements and rewards regardless of which character you are playing.

You joke, j-cart, but remember that Xcom interview? Nobody would remember the original game if not for Microprose's influence.
[quote name='ID2006']Wow. That's a pretty crazy expansion. I hope visiting it in the actual game feels as overwhelming as it looks in that image.[/QUOTE]
Yeah, it's undoubtedly one of those things where the implementation will struggle to live up to the concept. The fact that they're putting so much emphasis on "So what happens if the player dies?" situations is really cool there. Planescape Torment played around a bit with that - kinda unavoidable in a game about a dude that can't die - but it was relatively minor. A free trip back to the Dustmen or maybe a puzzle solved, sure, but this looks like something on a whole different level, and it's probably the thing I'm most excited for in the new Torment.

Ahaha eSports MMO that's fucking rich. I mean, it's just rumours at this point, but I could totally see Blizzard throwing money away on something like that.

They already throw a lot of money at WoW Arena, and that gets a pretty decent turnout in attendance and on streams, though they only have a few events a year for it compared to other tournaments in other games. So, why not?

However, from that article (if any fraction of it is true), it sounds interesting. I doubt I'd stop playing WoW for it, though.

Hey, if they can make MMORPG combat that is actually watchable, more power to 'em. I mean, I'm skeptical as hell, but at least they're finally experimenting with the whole "How do we run a tournament that isn't bad?" thing with SC2 now.

Also, I really feel like panzerfaust should be in here ranting about Jay Wilson, as I believe all people who have ever played Diablo 3 are legally bound to do.

[quote name='blueshinra']They've been saying that Titan's something completely new for awhile now, but it's nice to see the rumor mill confirming it.[/QUOTE]

But I don't read the rumors at that link that way. It sounds a lot like WoW. MMORPG, 3rd person, Tab targeting, in-world AH, "Blizzard style" graphics. It's getting a new engine and other new bullshit (lore), but I don't see how these rumors give the impression that it's completely new.

If Jay Wilson is the guy who stuck to his guns on D3 and told the "loser" D2 devs and fans to piss off, then I can't imagine he's going to bring a lot to the creation of a completely new experience.

Good luck with it, Blizz.

Well got back into Bordercrack 2. I know it isn't a real RPG but whatever I just bought the season pass.

I been wanting to start Ertian Odyssey IV for some time now but I was kinda forced into Luigi's Mansion (because of friends wanting to co-op). I might switch to Ertian Odyssey IV as my go to 3DS game if Luigi's Mansion doesn't need to have all the upgrades to do co-op and just co-op when they want to.

[quote name='Lokki']I finally got around to taking FFXIII-2 out of the plastic. I've had it since release, but it just sat there since I was playing SWTOR & WoW for a while. After playing Ni No Kuni, I've been back into the console RPG groove.

Anyway, I'm in the minority that I loved FFXIII. It wasn't perfect, it was linear, but I loved the combat with the Paradigm Shifts. I'm having a really hard time getting into FFXIII-2 so far. I've played it for about 2 & 1/2 hours and I just can't get into it much. Does it get better?

Serah whining about Lightning all of the time reminds me of Hope whining about his mom. I like that they still have the Paradigm Shifts, but I'm not too crazy about the animal-link stuff. I'd rather have normal party members than the Pokemon tack-on.[/QUOTE]

I have both sitting in plastic waiting for me to play it. I have played all the FF games (even the imports) and have kept putting these off because of the general consensus of it being mediocre.

I was extremely stoked that Square decided to milk the cash cow and release the old RPGs on mobile devices. Own quite a few of my favorites including the pinnacle of RPGs in my mind, Chrono Trigger. Probably due to a mix of nostalgia, memories and the game being amazing.

On a side note anyone play Dimensions yet for mobile gaming? It's supposed to be a new, old-school FF game.

[quote name='dothog']But I don't read the rumors at that link that way. It sounds a lot like WoW. MMORPG, 3rd person, Tab targeting, in-world AH, "Blizzard style" graphics. It's getting a new engine and other new bullshit (lore), but I don't see how these rumors give the impression that it's completely new.[/QUOTE]
Well, it seems to be a completely new universe (world, lore, whatever you want to call it), which is what I meant. That they're doing something that isn't set in the worlds of WarCraft, StarCraft, or Diablo for the first time in many years is pretty significant.

As for the other stuff, it's always been obvious that they weren't going to stray far from the Blizzard house style and/or the types of games they know how to make... we are talking about Blizzard here, after all.

[quote name='Indignate']Guys, don't let Jake Heart make the new thread.

He make it about some MMO that nobody plays anymore.[/QUOTE]

People still play MMOs?

[quote name='elessar123']People still play MMOs?[/QUOTE]

You know it!

We da hardcore gamers that hardcore gamerz are all like "dem guyz are too hardcore. lets bash them for being hardcore addicts".

Started Etrian Odyssey IV. Didn't put any real time on it, just booted up the game and did the first quest. I have to applaud the game for having little to no tutorial. I mean the tutorial it gives is for features that I need to know, and it does it with simple pictures.

I am getting tired of these big long tutorials in games. I already know how to move, I don't need to be reminded of it :lol: through long sequences. Anyway EO IV is an awesome game.

[quote name='Indignate']Guys, don't let Jake Heart make the new thread.

He make it about some MMO that nobody plays anymore.[/QUOTE]
Can I make the thread? It's been awhile :razz:

I thought you made the one before this?

Either way, go for it. I'm predicting... Harvest Moon themed? Yeah, that's my prediction. Harvest Moon is sweet-ass.

[quote name='The Crotch']I thought you made the one before this?

Either way, go for it. I'm predicting... Harvest Moon themed? Yeah, that's my prediction. Harvest Moon is sweet-ass.[/QUOTE]

As long as you don't try to Canada everybody and make it MMO themed.

bread's done
Back