RPG Thread XVII - Talk of RPGs past.

[quote name='Luxuria']I didn't really like Eternal Sonata all that much. If it wasn't for Chopin, I would have given up halfway through the game. It doesn't help that the 360 version was the inferior version, which is the one I played.[/QUOTE]

Same exact thing for me.

Except I did give up halfway through.

I love Eternal Sonata. It's one of the first jrpgs that I've played. Even though I gave up towards the end I enjoyed it. Thinking about trying some western rpgs. I might jump into Two Worlds II after I'm done with Tales of Grace f. Is it too late to get into Skyrim?

played through Eternal Sonata and the story was garbage. The ending was like 45 minutes of nothing.

But I liked the battle system and music.

I'd say to play Skyrim over Two Worlds II. Two Worlds II is pretty garbage. And Skyrim and both its DLCs will keep you occupied for a while.

[quote name='GhostShark']I'd say to play Skyrim over Two Worlds II. Two Worlds II is pretty garbage. And Skyrim and both its DLCs will keep you occupied for a while.[/QUOTE]
I heard Two Worlds II is hit or miss with some people. I got it for $5 with the DLC on PSN. I've been looking to get into Skyrim for awhile now. I don't think I'll get the DLC unless it's a super sale in the future. In a few pages back I saw the talk about Harvest Moon and Rune Factory. I'm interested in both of these series but I haven't play any of the games. I'm interested in playing the series on the Vita, PS3 and DS. Any recommendations?

[quote name='sherlock2g']Is it too late to get into Skyrim?[/QUOTE]

It's a single player game...so I don't see how it would be too late.

[quote name='ihadFG']It's a single player game...so I don't see how it would be too late.[/QUOTE]
What I meant by too late is that I'm playing the game past it's popularity. I don't even know why I asked that question since majority of the games I play are way past their major popularity. :dunce:

Note to ActionKazimer, going back to artbooks: I got the second volume of the Final Fantasy 25th Memorial Ultimania (with FFVII - IX) after all and it's chock-full of art. Like, it's practically all art. A lot of the stuff I've already seen in other books, but there's a lot of new (to me) works as well. My only disappointment is that the FFVIII section is skinny compared to the others. Willing to bet that Vol. 1 and Vol. 3 are similar in content, so they might be worth looking into as well.

I also got the 25th anniversary Ys artbook which came out recently (Ys: The Art Book), but haven't had a chance to look at it yet. Might post impressions later :p

[quote name='sherlock2g']What I meant by too late is that I'm playing the game past it's popularity. I don't even know why I asked that question since majority of the games I play are way past their major popularity. :dunce:[/QUOTE]

Why would it matter still? And it's not like Two Worlds II was ever popular.

95% of the time I listen to my music in headphones while playing. Music from am RPG has never captivated me. Especially when it's stretched out to 30-50 hours of the same few songs.

I'll sometimes unpause or turn down the volumes to hear character voices during cutscenes. Especially if there are no subtitles or it's a new character on screen.

~7 hours into FFVII and I feel like this game is going to be half as long as I remember it. Already leaving Costa Del Sol.

Enjoying myself, though I can't get over how lame Aeris is, both as a character and combatant. It doesn't make sense for her to be a fighter and she looks/acts ridiculous. And for players like me I think not ever using her damages the impact of that pivotal plot sequence later on...

Running Cloud/Red XIII/Tifa, will trade Red for Cid when the time comes.

[quote name='panzerfaust']It doesn't make sense for her to be a fighter and she looks/acts ridiculous.[/quote]
Wasn't that kind of intentional? Like, she was supposed to be really out of her element/contrasting with Tifa? I mean, you can argue whether or not that's a good idea in the first place, given her role in the story...
[quote name='panzerfaust'] Running Cloud/Red XIII/Tifa, will trade Red for Cid when the time comes.[/QUOTE]
Hell yeah. Cloud/Tifa/Cid is the best damn party.

I understand her role I just don't find her appealing. I have a guy with a gun for an arm, a wild lab specimen, and a bartender with spiked gloves. The girl with the awkward staff twirl and jump attack is naturally going to have to sit out. And then outside of combat she's very air headed, and even as I ignore her the game pushes Cloud toward her, despite constantly asking me which woman I prefer. It's just eh, I don't like the obvious set up for a case of slain innocence.

It wouldn't make the relationship any less superficial. I already know the reason for it being so forced, is all.

edit: I remember having a similar issue with the Cait Sith scene.

Last edited by a moderator:
Man, fuck Vincent. fuck Vincent right in his big dumb face.

Also, nobody liked or used Cait Sith.

EDIT: Drakengard 3 is a prequel? Quick, guys, tell me how I feel about this.

[quote name='The Crotch']Also, nobody liked or used Cait Sith.[/QUOTE]

I liked him, he was cute. :bouncy: I did an art project of him back in middle school. I didn't use him though.

Also Vincent's limit breaks were kind of garbage, but he looked cool.

On another note, the funniest moment for me in FFVII is that I stacked Yuffie full of maxed counter attack materia and when Sephiroth used super nova she countered him 8 times and killed him.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='panzerfaust']I didn't know FFVII had a back/front row system until this playthrough.[/QUOTE]

Reminds me of FFVI, when I played that again when I was older I realized that mechanic and it changed a lot of how I played that game, the part with Banon was SO much easier with him in the back row.

people forget that ff7 has a shitty translation though. that could influence how you view characters.

if you want to like aerith? play crisis core.

Translation seems fine to me. Sephy calling the world "stupid" in his revenge speech was sort of juvenile, but that's been my only cringe moment so far.

5O4rXTh.jpg

It's been ages since I last played it, but the only translation/localization things that I really remember from FFVII are the overuse of exclamation marks and the curious use of "Jesus" as an epithet.

I've probably mentioned this before, but they fixed that and certain other bits of text in FFVII PC. Shame they couldn't redo much of the rest of the localization.

Also, don't have a favorite party, but Yuffie's ultimate weapon is pretty boss, so I like to use her a lot on Disk 3.

All I remember is beginning the final battle with 7777 HP. Kind of wish I hadn't, but I suppose I was ready for it to end.

i just remember that one article on localization on ign here that someone linked.

i think ff7 only had one translator or something
all the other FFs after that has had localization work with the story creators AS they are developing the story.

I started back playing Tales of Grace f. I'm about 30 hours in. I tend to mix up my party with Asbel, Sophie, and Cheria as my main 3. Hubert is still a jerk.

[quote name='sherlock2g']I started back playing Tales of Grace f. I'm about 30 hours in. I tend to mix up my party with Asbel, Sophie, and Cheria as my main 3. Hubert is still a jerk.[/QUOTE]

Considering what his parents did...

Speaking of Tales, had a funny moment yesterday when I let the opening FMV play while I did some last-minute stuff before settling down to play. Saw something in that FMV that I hadn't yet seen in the game. Started to play and eventually, lo and behold, said something showed up! (It was the
replica of Hod
, if you really want to know.)

Barret's backstory with Dyne is just pure gold.

[quote name='Dyne']
..Why!? The hell do you care for!?
Are the people killed going to understand 'why'? Are the people of Corel going to understand just hearing Shinra's excuses?
I don't CARE what the reason is!
All they give us are artillery and stupid excuses... What's left is a world of despair and emptiness...[/QUOTE]

Now, that's party bad translation, and partly a case of extreme melodrama being acted out by chunky polygons.

[quote name='Dyne']
You still want to hear 'why'? ...All right, I'll tell you.
'Cause I want to destroy everything.
(He punctuates his next statements with gunshots.)
The people of this city.
This city itself.
The whole world!
(He turns away.)
I got nothing left in this world. Corel, Eleanor...... Marlene......
[/quote]

I'm really optimistic about us seeing a FF VII remake next gen. With Squenix recently pushing FFV onto various mobile platforms, I'm hoping to see a FF VI version on current-gen handhelds, then they can move on to the big game (most)everyone wants. Squeenix has got to know they are sitting on gold, and they are complaining recently about current games not reaching sales goals. However, Squeenix does dumb things sometimes, so who knows.....

Getting back into NiNoKuni. I'm about 2/3rds thru it. Home stretch time.

[quote name='Krymner']I'm really optimistic about us seeing a FF VII remake next gen. With Squenix recently pushing FFV onto various mobile platforms, I'm hoping to see a FF VI version on current-gen handhelds, then they can move on to the big game (most)everyone wants. Squeenix has got to know they are sitting on gold, and they are complaining recently about current games not reaching sales goals. However, Squeenix does dumb things sometimes, so who knows.....

Getting back into NiNoKuni. I'm about 2/3rds thru it. Home stretch time.[/QUOTE]

Hopefully since Square Enix president is resigning, the company can focus on selling games that we actually want.

[quote name='sherlock2g']Hopefully since Square Enix president is resigning, the company can focus on selling games that we actually want.[/QUOTE]
They could start by localizing certain recent games (Rocket Slime 2, Bravely Default, etc.)...

[quote name='sherlock2g']Hopefully since Square Enix president is resigning, the company can focus on selling games that we actually want.[/QUOTE]

I love your new avatar portrait. :applause:

[quote name='icebeast']I love your new avatar portrait. :applause:[/QUOTE]
Thanks! It took me over a year to finally add an avatar. So I though this one looked cool.:bouncy:

[quote name='Indignate']Nobody actually wants an FF VII remake.

You guys are insane.[/QUOTE]
Wouldn't it be funny if they listen to their fans and do that hi-def FFVII remake, and then it only sells as much as the new Tomb Raider and the company goes bankrupt?

Actually, no it wouldn't, because then that might mean no more Dragon Quest games.

bread's done
Back