RPG Thread XVII - Talk of RPGs past.

i want an ff7 remake. i want it to be a nice complete game with an ending that makes sense, good graphics, and a script that makes sense.

ironically, i would not want an ff6 remake because i think that game is fine the way it is, bugs and all. i also prefer ff6 to ff7.

when i think of how good crisis core was, i really want to see them do ff7 right.

[quote name='kainzero']when i think of how good crisis core was, i really want to see them do ff7 right.[/QUOTE]

I thought Crisis Core was fairly terrible, I couldn't bring myself to finish it, I got to the point were I would hug walls to avoid as many of the combat triggers in the missions as possible because combat was completely pointless since you had no control over leveling up and so all I did was equip the most powerful materia and spam it non-stop since you could at least control that aspect of the game; I finally just gave up on the game because I didn't find anything about it particularly fun (especially not watching a slot wheel spin to determine random things). I didn't really like the characterization of young Yuffie either, especially since she is one of my favorite characters from FFVII, but she is extremely annoying in Crisis Core, but some of that might just be that I found every mission annoying.

I had a comment about FF7 and what SE should do with it, but they will still find a way to mess it up (see recent PC FF7 re-release).

/edit: Totally same impression of FF7:CC icebeast. Wall hugging and the leveling system? Yeah I had no idea how that was calculated...

[quote name='icebeast']I thought Crisis Core was fairly terrible, I couldn't bring myself to finish it, I got to the point were I would hug walls to avoid as many of the combat triggers in the missions as possible because combat was completely pointless since you had no control over leveling up and so all I did was equip the most powerful materia and spam it non-stop since you could at least control that aspect of the game; I finally just gave up on the game because I didn't find anything about it particularly fun (especially not watching a slot wheel spin to determine random things). I didn't really like the characterization of young Yuffie either, especially since she is one of my favorite characters from FFVII, but she is extremely annoying in Crisis Core, but some of that might just be that I found every mission annoying.[/QUOTE]
leveling up isn't random
it looks like it's random but it's really not completely random. there are invisible exp values.
so let's say to reach level 10 you need 10000 exp. once you pass 10000 exp you have a chance of hitting your level 10, and as you gain more exp the chance of hitting level 10 increases. and level 11 would still be hardcapped at 11000 exp so it's possible to gain levels rapidly.
then on top of that there's materia stat bonuses which probably influence your stats more than levels.

from what i remember playing it's more skill than random especially if you start the game on hard.

regardless i was mostly talking about the story. the ending was really well done.

[quote name='kainzero']i want it to be a nice complete game with an ending that makes sense, good graphics, and a script that makes sense. [/QUOTE]

Then you don't want an FF VII remake.

If they change that much about that game, then they'll just have a DmC on their hands.

people have no clue what they're asking for when mentioning an ff7 remake. but i guess it's square's fault for releasing a tech demo that fans somehow mistook for a teaser trailer.

To be honest, albeit nice, they really shouldn't have released that tech demo.

SE needs to realize that they have a bunch of other series that they can return to. Why the heck haven't they made a new Chrono game? Mana game? SaGa?

Final Fantasy XIV was a mistake. Why the hell would a company need two damn MMOs? FFXI is still going strong. Heck, they just released a new expansion pack.

[quote name='Luxuria']To be honest, albeit nice, they really shouldn't have released that tech demo.

SE needs to realize that they have a bunch of other series that they can return to. Why the heck haven't they made a new Chrono game? Mana game? SaGa?

Final Fantasy XIV was a mistake. Why the hell would a company need two damn MMOs? FFXI is still going strong. Heck, they just released a new expansion pack.[/QUOTE]

FFXI was on its last leg, so it is about time anyway. The problem is that FFXIV just wasn't very good.

[quote name='Luxuria']SE needs to realize that they have a bunch of other series that they can return to. Why the heck haven't they made a new Chrono game? Mana game? SaGa?[/QUOTE]

I think The Last Remnant was basically the SaGa game for this gen.

Also since we are talking about FFVII did anyone else think that one armed semi-pull-up while holding onto Tifa at the end of the game was totally ridiculous, like Cloud isn't even that built and doing that would be a major feat for someone who was a very strong person in comparison to their body weight, I mean even doing a one arm pull-up is extremely difficult without the added factor of a holding a person in your other arm.

[quote name='Indignate']Cloud carries around the heaviest sword in existence.[/QUOTE]

I don't know could be heavier:
But I'm ok with that. :drool:

Final_Fantasy_VII___Miss_Cloud_by_Kite_Mitiko.png

I don't know... I might rebuy Crisis Core if they put it on PS3 like Sony did for God of War — if the price was right. It was a fun game to me. Combat needed some tuning, though.

[quote name='icebeast']I think The Last Remnant was basically the SaGa game for this gen.[/QUOTE]

And I think I'm one of the only people that liked it (Like, seriously sunk a shit ton of hours into it, liked it that much).

Also would kill for a "true" Chrono Trigger follow up. Cross is a good game on its own, but not as a Trigger follow up.

I think of Chrono Cross less as a direct follow-up/sequel and more of a game that just happens to take place in the same universe. I actually replayed Cross lately, and the only downside in comparison to CT is the battle system. And choosing the right team gets pretty damn tough every single time I play the game. So, yeah, I, too, would love for a next game set in the same universe. It doesn't have to be a sequel, though.

Can anyone explain to me why I or any of my party members should care when Cait Sith sacrifices himself? Given that's he's just a remote controlled puppet, does the game have any justification for making that scene so tragic? It fascinates me but then again Sakaguchi is infamous for this kind of shit.

Also since we are talking about FFVII did anyone else think that one armed semi-pull-up while holding onto Tifa at the end of the game was totally ridiculous, like Cloud isn't even that built and doing that would be a major feat for someone who was a very strong person in comparison to their body weight, I mean even doing a one arm pull-up is extremely difficult without the added factor of a holding a person in your other arm.

I just assume they are capable of everything they do in Advent Children.

[quote name='panzerfaust']Can anyone explain to me why I or any of my party members should care when Cait Sith sacrifices himself? Given that's he's just a remote controlled puppet, does the game have any justification for making that scene so tragic? It fascinates me but then again Sakaguchi is infamous for this kind of shit.[/QUOTE]
I once read somewhere that it was likely written in to contrast with what happens next to Aeris. The Cait Sith Temple scene seems to be making fun of RPG death and/or "death" scenes that in the end don't matter much for one reason or another (for example: certain previous FF games), but then it's almost immediately followed up by one that does.

So in short, the idea was that Cait Sith dies, but not really, and that leaves you less prepared for Aeris dying for reals.

[quote name='Luxuria']To be honest, albeit nice, they really shouldn't have released that tech demo.

Final Fantasy XIV was a mistake. Why the hell would a company need two damn MMOs? FFXI is still going strong. Heck, they just released a new expansion pack.[/QUOTE]
chrono trigger was like an all-star game: toriyama akira, yuji horii, sakaguchi hironobu. cross did not resemble trigger at all and thus adding something to the series would be kind of weak.

mana is an interesting series, reception was lukewarm after secret of mana. ironically, in japan it's the "holy sword legend" series. and it's weird because there are only four in the main series, and there's a lot in the spinoff series, and the spinoffs are subtitled with "xxxx of mana" so it's really confusing.

the last mainline saga game was unlimited. the remakes of saga2 and saga3 were released in 2009 and 2011 respectively, which were done really well.

one thing that is disheartening is that mobile games are coming out for mana and saga, and the company that is making them is GREE which is the Zynga of japan. literally.

[quote name='kainzero']mana is an interesting series, reception was lukewarm after secret of mana. ironically, in japan it's the "holy sword legend" series. and it's weird because there are only four in the main series, and there's a lot in the spinoff series, and the spinoffs are subtitled with "xxxx of mana" so it's really confusing.
[/QUOTE]

Seiken Densetsu 3 is such a fantastic game. wtf happened with that series. Legend of Mana had a cool premise and great art, but the gameplay itself (especially the seemingly random nature of laying down your own map) kust makes it too hard for me to get into.

I'd love a true follow up to SD3.

[quote name='Zmonkay']Seiken Densetsu 3 is such a fantastic game. wtf happened with that series. Legend of Mana had a cool premise and great art, but the gameplay itself (especially the seemingly random nature of laying down your own map) kust makes it too hard for me to get into.

I'd love a true follow up to SD3.[/QUOTE]

Seiken Densetsu 3 was fantastic, but at least one of the stats didn't even work properly. Not a good sign for an RPG.

It shouldn't have been released in that state.

All the Mana games I've played have had a lot of bugs.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='ID2006']Seiken Densetsu 3 was fantastic, but at least one of the stats didn't even work properly. Not a good sign for an RPG.[/QUOTE]

Any idea which stat? I'm currently doing a playthrough and I'd like to avoid and unnessercy leveling.

Instead of a FFVII remake why not just do some kind of cleaned up HD version and release it over XBLA & PSN? Something like the PC version with nicer looking character models:

Untitled-7.jpg

That looks so weird.

Not because of the models, but because Barret's not there.

[quote name='Rodimus']Any idea which stat? I'm currently doing a playthrough and I'd like to avoid and unnessercy leveling.[/QUOTE]

I remember that Crits will never activate and I think it was the evasion-esque stat that didn't work.

[quote name='Rodimus']Any idea which stat? I'm currently doing a playthrough and I'd like to avoid and unnessercy leveling.

Instead of a FFVII remake why not just do some kind of cleaned up HD version and release it over XBLA & PSN? Something like the PC version with nicer looking character models:
[/QUOTE]

I'm sorry but that looks godawful.

[quote name='panzerfaust']I'm sorry but that looks godawful.[/QUOTE]

That's the thing with the PSX Final Fantasy games. You can't "clean up" a low-res prerendered background. It just it what it is and it looks like crap when blown up to such a higher resolution. All they can do is redo everything from scratch.

[quote name='The Crotch']Cloud's face scares the shit out of me in that picture.[/QUOTE]

That's the least scary body part on him, take a gander at those rocks for hands...or his hair...

[quote name='blueshinra']I once read somewhere that it was likely written in to contrast with what happens next to Aeris. The Cait Sith Temple scene seems to be making fun of RPG death and/or "death" scenes that in the end don't matter much for one reason or another (for example: certain previous FF games), but then it's almost immediately followed up by one that does.

So in short, the idea was that Cait Sith dies, but not really, and that leaves you less prepared for Aeris dying for reals.[/QUOTE]

Hm, I'm not sure if I'm willing to throw the writers that huge a bone, but it's an interesting explanation. I feel like if it were a parody it should have been more exaggerated, because while that would be really cool, it's really quite a subtle thing for players to have to notice, especially those not familiar with the genre.

And Sakaguchi continues to do this sort of thing to this day, like in the opening scenes of The Last Story where he kills a character, has drama unfold around death sequence, but then brings her back to life the very next moment with no questions asked. It would be like if Aeris swam out of the lake and rejoined your party after all the dialogue was said and done. It's that jarring, and I don't know why he does it.

[quote name='panzerfaust']I'm sorry but that looks godawful.[/QUOTE]
i think those are the battle models in high res

so technically it's still the same game, lol

[quote name='panzerfaust']Hm, I'm not sure if I'm willing to throw the writers that huge a bone, but it's an interesting explanation. I feel like if it were a parody it should have been more exaggerated, because while that would be really cool, it's really quite a subtle thing for players to have to notice, especially those not familiar with the genre.[/QUOTE]
If you wanted to be even more generous, you could chalk up the "this doesn't quite feel like a parody" to the XxX_~~TrAnSlAtIoN_eRrOrS~~_XxX you were wondering about.

[quote name='The Crotch']If you wanted to be even more generous, you could chalk up the "this doesn't quite feel like a parody" to the XxX_~~TrAnSlAtIoN_eRrOrS~~_XxX you were wondering about.[/QUOTE]
I mean, I could see it. Even then, though, they are literally jamming a character into your party, a spy that Cloud's party never gave permission to have around, and then using him in a death sequence that is meant to instill a false sense of security in you before the upcoming Aeris punch.

Seems unnecessary given how well the game's atmosphere follows Sephiroth around. Any time he appears all the humour stops and people do actually die. And that badass pipeOrgan.midi track plays. Didn't need a another touch of silliness to drive that point home.

Hey Lux, I don't know how far you've gotten in Tales, but are you finding it extremely easy?

I started off on the difficulty above normal and than bumped it up right after I finished the childhood arc. Just met back up with Hubert and I'm definitely enjoying the combat more now. I'm still thinking about going higher though after I unlock the next difficulty.

Yeah, it is a bit easy. A few boss fights later on will pose a challenge, but not by much. I wish the trophies and boss fights were similar to Vesperia's. I liked going for those special challenges and thought they made the boss fights much harder.

I still haven't played Vesperia, but I remember looking at the achievement list for it and seeing something like that. Looks like they got replaced with "Beat ______ in less than 60 seconds"

You should definitely play Vesperia, it's easily one of may favorite recent RPGs and it's better then Graces f IMO. I have some money in my PS3 account and was looking through some of the PS1 games that have up for sale, does anyone know much about Threads of Fate? I'm pretty sure I played it in the past since it looks familiar but I don't have it in my collection so it might have been a rental, I remember having fun with it but don't think I got very far, is it worth the 6 bucks?

Cool kid.

I loved Vesperia.

Troy Baker.

Graces F has an amazing, fun combat system though. Definitely the best of the Tales games. Well, I think so, anyway.

I never played Threads of Fate. If you haven't done so already, you should totally play Alundra.

Graces combat system was fun, but I've been a fan of the combat styles in all of the Tales games so it's kind of hard for me to say which would be my favorite. I looked at Alundra and I don't recall playing that before but it definitely looks like something I would enjoy, I'll add that to the list of games to consider picking up through the PS3 store.

Just got to this part where this random scene gurl just tried to molest a 14 year old girl.

I think I'm done for tonight.

[quote name='Luxuria']I loved Vesperia.

Troy Baker.[/QUOTE]

My favorite part is that the main character is named Yuri Lowell when Yuri Lowenthal played Luke in the previous game.

It took them a bit longer than PE - too long, really - but Torment has a screenshot.

y6svx0S.jpg

Viewed at maximum resolution, it doesn't look anywhere near as nice as the PE screenshot
xT1r4p4.jpg
, and the overall level of quality seems to vary fairly dramatically between pieces of scenery (compare, say, the sharpness and detail of the candle-altar thing in the upper right to the blurriness of the jutting ribs in the lower left).

bread's done
Back