SAACHU ANDO DESUTOROI!! Anime & Manga Thread Lives Again

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote name='Rei no Otaku']6 disc special edition!? What the hell is in that?[/quote]

Judging that the title says "part 1", I can only assume that they will be doing two runs of the series in individual volume format, and two boxes containing half of the series in each box.

If that is what they are doing, it sounds kind of stupid. I'd much rather just have the two boxes than wait for 10-11 more volumes to be released. But, with Sony's track record for anime series (nearly every series they licensed has been put on permanent hiatus before completion) i'd accept any release we can get.

[quote name='tehweezner']anyone seen gundam seed? i watched the first seven eps or so and i haven't watched any since as i grew bored of it.

does it get any better?[/QUOTE]

I watched the first 25 or so episodes on Toonami before they moved it to 2AM Saturday morning and didn't tell anybody, and I liked it. I can't wait for the Anime Legends sets to come out so I can finally finish watching the series.

[quote name='tehweezner']anyone seen gundam seed? i watched the first seven eps or so and i haven't watched any since as i grew bored of it.

does it get any better?[/QUOTE]
No, it sucks all the way through.

Not sure if you watch REAL Gundam, but if you don't I highly suggest checking out the original Mobile Suit Gundam, Zeta Gundam, Gundam 0080, 8th MS Team, and Char's Counterattack.

Finally got around to watching Detective Academy Q, which I got from Anime Otaku a long time ago, and I like it a lot. I'd say Case Closed is a bit better, but both are very good mystery anime.

[quote name='Liquid 2']http://youtube.com/watch?v=hZVKbfQihtY

Is this a serious advertisement?[/quote]

It is and it just goes to show how stupid some marketing is. The name of the show is yamato nadeshiko shinge henge and my japanese is horrible but I'm fairly sure that roughly translates into Ideal Japanese Woman Transformation. That sounds pretty shitty but they could've come up w/ something close instead of the Wallflower. They could've even truncated it into Ideal Woman or Perfect Woman and it would've fit the series more closely. Too bad. I enjoyed it despite it being a shoujo title.

[quote name='jaykrue']It is and it just goes to show how stupid some marketing is. The name of the show is yamato nadeshiko shinge henge and my japanese is horrible but I'm fairly sure that roughly translates into Ideal Japanese Woman Transformation. That sounds pretty shitty but they could've come up w/ something close instead of the Wallflower. They could've even truncated it into Ideal Woman or Perfect Woman and it would've fit the series more closely. Too bad. I enjoyed it despite it being a shoujo title.[/QUOTE]
More accurate might be "The Seven Transformations of the Perfect Girl." A shichihenge is a dance in kabuki where the performer quickly changes his clothes seven times.

And I think you're both missing the point that the advertisement was *supposed* to be ridiculous.

[quote name='Kirin Lemon']More accurate might be "The Seven Transformations of the Perfect Girl." A shichihenge is a dance in kabuki where the performer quickly changes his clothes seven times.

And I think you're both missing the point that the advertisement was *supposed* to be ridiculous.[/quote]

My issue isn't w/ the advertising. It's the name. It's a pet peeve of mine when they rename a series to 'better assimilate' it to another culture and then completely fail. I was actually surprised Naruto didn't change into Spiral Ninja or some other stupid crap like that. Really, they could've gone w/ something closer to the original title. The Wallflower in the US translated into a socially inept person at parties. While Sunako is definitely that, that's really only one small aspect of the show. The Japanese title makes more sense as it's more about the makeover ('transformation') than the fact that she's socially inept.

does code geass season 1 have two recap episodes? i see 23 eps but some lists have 25

nvm, two recaps and 24-25.. so really it has 27 total episodes.. so confusing :/

I guess this announcement would've been better for the 20th CB thread, but since that ones done.

One of Viz's newest licences....

Naoki Urasawa's Monster!!!!

http://www.natpe.org/conference/exhibitorlist/details/index.jsp?id_string=4276:03QlQZ1Zv0jhoMK$$7YmVw**

Nothing has been officially confirmed yet, from what i'm hearing, in the past, Viz has taken up to a two years after licensing a series before they make an official announcement. The manga finishes in December, and the americanized movie should be happening sometime within the next year or so (i think), so hopefully an announcement will come real soon.

Searching around on Amazon, I came accross a live action Devilman movie. I downloaded it and watched it today. The CG was really good looking (Devilman looked badass, and even some of the other demons were really well done). Unfortunately, the story, and acting couldnt save it. Of course, I plan on following up this movie with "Crystal Triangle"; from what I heard on the anime world order, is one of the worst anime OAV's ever made. Should be an interesting watch, unfortunately it seems like none of the good torrent sites have it up. Current download will take 104 hours to complete... If anyone knows where I can find this on a good tracker, or direct download, please let me know.

[quote name='Bezerker']I guess this announcement would've been better for the 20th CB thread, but since that ones done.

One of Viz's newest licences....

Naoki Urasawa's Monster!!!!

http://www.natpe.org/conference/exhibitorlist/details/index.jsp?id_string=4276:03QlQZ1Zv0jhoMK$$7YmVw**
[/QUOTE]
Sorry, this doesn't mean Monster is licensed. And the news that Viz is shopping Monster around is at least a month old already. Basically, this amounts to a "Hey, here's this unlicensed show that nobody has the rights to! Any takers?" Viz has done this previous years with other shows that never got picked up, too.

[quote name='Liquid 2']Gotta thank you for that recommendation, Jaykrue.

~9 episodes in.[/quote]

No problem. I was worried that people thought it sucked since no one seemed to particularly talk about it until I brought it up but I'm glad some ppl enjoyed. I think it ties for my fav of 2007 alongside Lucky Star.

[quote name='jaykrue']No problem. I was worried that people thought it sucked since no one seemed to particularly talk about it until I brought it up but I'm glad some ppl enjoyed. I think it ties for my fav of 2007 alongside Lucky Star.[/QUOTE]
That's a *severe* insult to Dennou Coil.

[quote name='Kirin Lemon']That's a *severe* insult to Dennou Coil.[/quote]

That's ok. I don't mind insulting non-sentient objects.

Anyone know Ureshii's IRC channel off the top of their heads? I need to track down the last six eps of Dennou Coil in 720p.

[quote name='Liquid 2']Anyone know Ureshii's IRC channel off the top of their heads? I need to track down the last six eps of Dennou Coil in 720p.[/quote]

Are they even out? I've been waiting for them to finish the hi-rez versions.

I just checked their site, and yes they are. Since the 22 of December, actually. Time to go snag them.

#ureshii@Rizon, by the way.

edit: ugh@slow bots. Not even breaking 100 kbps on Ureshii|Aniserv.

[quote name='zewone']Where's a good place to grab it?[/QUOTE]
Bit-HDTV has eps 1-20 in 720p. I'm gonna UL the last 6 this weekend.

It starts out a bit slow, but give it a chance. It gets really damn good towards the end.

Ok, I got a sweet digital camera for Christmas and I figured this is a good way to break it in. I took some pics of all my anime DVDs. I actaully don't have room to display them all, so the pics have some in there twice. I think I forgot to set the auto-focus because one of the pics looks a little fuzzt on one side to me.

I'm not going to bother dragging out my VHS right now.

I was just wondering, why does anime get cheaper when its brought to the US but manga gets more expensive?

With anime, you've gotta get someone to translate for both the vocals and subs, time the subs, then you've gotta find voice actors to do the dub. But with manga, two people could basically do it (one if you wanna get technical). It just needs to be translated, cleaned, and the translated text placed in the right area (which photocopiers are able to do with the touch of a button nowadays).

One really good example (all prices are SRP):

R2 Gantz is 11 discs at $55.18 a disc.
R1 Gantz is 10 discs at $17.98-$29.98 a disc

R2 Gantz manga is $5.59 a volume
R1 Gantz manga is $13.95 a volume.

I may have picked a bad example as Gantz was infamous in japan, but the price trend is about the same with nearly all other series. I really find it weird that the medium that requires more effort is the one we get for cheaper.

Picked up the last four volumes (II through V) of Beck on DVD today, so I just have the one (or is it two) volume left to go before my amp boxset is full.

I bought a crapload of anime DVDs at my local Big Lots! stores... couldn't pass em' up for $3 a pop...

Just watched the first episode of the Persona anime the other night... I'm liking it so far! Was pleased to hear a familiar tune or two from the games as well...

[quote name='Bezerker']I was just wondering, why does anime get cheaper when its brought to the US but manga gets more expensive?

With anime, you've gotta get someone to translate for both the vocals and subs, time the subs, then you've gotta find voice actors to do the dub. But with manga, two people could basically do it (one if you wanna get technical). It just needs to be translated, cleaned, and the translated text placed in the right area (which photocopiers are able to do with the touch of a button nowadays).

One really good example (all prices are SRP):

R2 Gantz is 11 discs at $55.18 a disc.
R1 Gantz is 10 discs at $17.98-$29.98 a disc

R2 Gantz manga is $5.59 a volume
R1 Gantz manga is $13.95 a volume.

I may have picked a bad example as Gantz was infamous in japan, but the price trend is about the same with nearly all other series. I really find it weird that the medium that requires more effort is the one we get for cheaper.[/quote]

I can only think of two things.

The DVD media is cheaper to make than binding paper in a book.

DVDs have more sales than manga so DVDs can be sold at lower cost. Also, shows that get airplay on Cartoon Network get more airplay and might reduce costs.

Neither may be true, but that is all I can think of.

So yeah I just watched 9 hours of Death Note and finished it.

Some of the most clever writing ever put in an anime.
For once you're not sitting there feeling a lot smarter than the characters in the show.

Regarding FMA 79

Ugh, that was crap, my favorite homunculi defeated by an old fart. Sadly, being turned into a gate to amestris doesnt seem like that bad of a death now.

I wonder if "Father" will create a new Envy, like he did with Greed. IIRC, doesnt he still need to give Gluttony a new body?

I really wish Arakawa would get FMA serialized in a weekly magazine. With as many different plot lines she has going, it seems like it wont be done for another 10 years at a monthly release.

[quote name='Bezerker']Regarding FMA 79

Ugh, that was crap, my favorite homunculi defeated by an old fart. Sadly, being turned into a gate to amestris doesnt seem like that bad of a death now.

I wonder if "Father" will create a new Envy, like he did with Greed. IIRC, doesnt he still need to give Gluttony a new body?

I really wish Arakawa would get FMA serialized in a weekly magazine. With as many different plot lines she has going, it seems like it wont be done for another 10 years at a monthly release.[/QUOTE]
The father was able to reabsorb greed though. Envy has been destroyed entirely, so I can see father getting real angry, real quick.

And I disagree with your sentiments about the series. Arakawa would most likely not be able to put out a 50+ page quality chapter a week, not to mention that there really aren't too many story lines in the first place. Furthermore, the end is already in sight. I don't see it lasting more than another year or two, at this pace.

Hey, does anyone happen to have a legit, mint copy of Fatal Fury: The Motion Picture on DVD they would like to sell or trade? I was going to look for it with the curent Rightstuf sale and it is gone.

[quote name='GuilewasNK']Hey, does anyone happen to have a legit, mint copy of Fatal Fury: The Motion Picture on DVD they would like to sell or trade? I was going to look for it with the curent Rightstuf sale and it is gone.[/QUOTE]
I own it on DVD. Found it years ago at Suncoast. Unfortunately, I love the movie and will most definitely not be parting with it.

Just curious, is it worth it to try and finish up the rest of D-Grey.Man? I stopped watching around episode 20-24, and I forgot why, and what heppened around those episodes.

[quote name='Kuroi Kaze']So yeah I just watched 9 hours of Death Note and finished it.

Some of the most clever writing ever put in an anime.
For once you're not sitting there feeling a lot smarter than the characters in the show.[/quote]The episode with the tennis match alone made me feel stupid.

[quote name='Mr. Beef']Just curious, is it worth it to try and finish up the rest of D-Grey.Man? I stopped watching around episode 20-24, and I forgot why, and what heppened around those episodes.[/quote]

Depends. Do you like Naruto, Bleach, DBZ type power one-upping:

Person 1: "Ha! My power level is 1000!"

Person 2: "Oh yeah? Well I learned a new jutsu and my power level is 3000!"

Person 3: "I got both you bitches in check. My zanpakatou just evolved! My power level is over 9000!"

That's pretty much the latter episodes though, admittedly, the exorcists are getting their asses handed to them pretty bad right now so I expect one of them to 'power up'

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back