SAACHU ANDO DESUTOROI!! Anime & Manga Thread Lives Again

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote name='jaykrue']Depends. Do you like Naruto, Bleach, DBZ type power one-upping:

Person 1: "Ha! My power level is 1000!"

Person 2: "Oh yeah? Well I learned a new jutsu and my power level is 3000!"

Person 3: "I got both you bitches in check. My zanpakatou just evolved! My power level is over 9000!"

That's pretty much the latter episodes though, admittedly, the exorcists are getting their asses handed to them pretty bad right now so I expect one of them to 'power up'[/quote]Aw, really? Well, I was a big DBZ fan, and I'm somewhat into Naruto, but I was hoping that the later parts of DGM wouldn't be that bad.

Elfen Lied is one of the best anime's I've seen, however I have a few comments/ questions to make:

Is it normal for cousins to date in Japan? I'm wondering this because throughout the series I found myself to have more sympathy for Yuka , then I realize that they're cousins and that may be the main reason why he's pushing her away for some mutant that he just met who he is willing to not hesitate to put his life on the line to protect.

Was it Nana who
touched Kurama ( which caused him to have a diclonius kid ) ?

I thought the young female protagonist
had to give her dog back to it's original owner,
how did she get it back?

Also, one more thing that stuck out to me:
The fact that Kouta didn't know that Lucy was Nyu the entire time. The girl killed his father and sister and I'm going to assume that there isn't a ton of pink haired girls with horns in that area. I'm thikning that it's the trauma, and that he doens't want to think that it's her, as there is a part where he forgets a portion of his story which has something to do with Nyu killing some people.

Anyways, was a great show.

Hey. I have $60 built up on Anime Lagoon, and have no use for anime myself. So, are any of you fine CAG citizens willing to trade me your $50 paypal for my $60 in anime? If you can buy it online, I could get it, and then mail it to you. So basically, you'll be getting $10 off your next anime purchase. PM me and let me know if you're interested. My CAG trading feedback proves I can be trusted. I am just trying to get a PS3!

[quote name='zewone']Ah, man. I got to thank you again.

I just finished watching the series. It was fantastic.[/QUOTE]
Glad you liked it. :)

Picked up issue 2 of Gyo yesterday. (Horror manga by Junji Ito)

Meh.

First half is good and then just drifts off into tangents that don't have much to do with the story and a *weak* ending.

[quote name='crystalklear64']Heh, I do.. on VHS :' ([/quote]

Yeah, I still have my VHS copy. I'll hold on to it until I can gey the DVD.

[quote name='Rei no Otaku']I own it on DVD. Found it years ago at Suncoast. Unfortunately, I love the movie and will most definitely not be parting with it.[/quote]

I can understand that. It's one of my favorites as well. I wish I would have bought the dang DVD last year. So far I have only seen one listing on eBay and the seller seems to have a history of shipping REALLY slowly. Even Amazon Marketplace doesn't have it.

[quote name='Kirin Lemon']NO, definitely not![/quote]

Wierd, i thought the intro theme to Koi Kaze was the japanese national anthem...

I'm watching D. Grayman right now and I have to say at least the early episodes appear to be taking some care in the writing.

Since I've seen every shonen ever I'll probably finish it and like it.

1st eps. of Moonlight Mile's 2nd season is out (finally). And if you haven't seen the 1st season yet, catch up. It's pretty a pretty good but 'mature' (read: lots of sex & international political intrigue) anime about the 2nd space race back to the moon.

[quote name='Bezerker']Wierd, i thought the intro theme to Koi Kaze was the japanese national anthem...[/QUOTE]
:rofl:

[quote name='jaykrue']1st eps. of Moonlight Mile's 2nd season is out (finally). And if you haven't seen the 1st season yet, catch up. It's pretty a pretty good but 'mature' (read: lots of sex & international political intrigue) anime about the 2nd space race back to the moon.[/QUOTE]MM is hard as fuck to track down in HD. I need to get back on finding it.

[quote name='Liquid 2']MM is hard as fuck to track down in HD. I need to get back on finding it.[/quote]

It's pretty difficult to come by in regular format let alone HD. :lol: I remember asking FriskyTanuki (where's that guy anyway?) for a few of the missing episodes if he ever came across any and I think he didn't get back to me about it for about a week or so. I'm surprised it hasn't made its way across to region 1 yet. This anime would fit right in w/ most non-japanese audiences (specifically Russian, US, and w/ season 2, Chinese) due to its rotating international cast.

[quote name='jaykrue']It's pretty difficult to come by in regular format let alone HD. :lol: I remember asking FriskyTanuki (where's that guy anyway?) for a few of the missing episodes if he ever came across any and I think he didn't get back to me about it for about a week or so. I'm surprised it hasn't made its way across to region 1 yet. This anime would fit right in w/ most non-japanese audiences (specifically Russian, US, and w/ season 2, Chinese) due to its rotating international cast.[/quote]
Sorry about that. It was just before I was heading home for the holidays and realized I had more work to do than I thought and forgot about it until not.

I still have all of the episodes in the first season, but they're varying resolutions (25% HD, the rest in SD) so if you're looking for all HD episodes, it'll either never happen or it'll take forever to do. If you still want them, I'll see what I can do now to get what I have to you. I'll probably see about creating a torrent to put on a site I visit that'll be easy for you to get on since they never close registration (my account's been deleted twice before).

I hope you're enjoying Death Note as much as I did, Rig.

Funny I'm chasing your lead on the free360games.com site, then you're watching Death Note like I have, and we're both from Central Illinois.

I hail from P-Town originally...where are you at?

I've been following it on Adult Swim even though I've read most of the manga. I had forgotten how much of a manipulative, cold hearted bastard Light was. Last week's episode was when he finally meets Misa.

After listening to an entire podcast about it, i decided to watch Crystal Triangles last night.

Had to be the worst anime property (OAV, series, movie, etc) i've ever seen. It basically took every bad cliche and storyline about sci-fi and crammed it into an hour and a half of mind numbing video. I gotta say, its worth watching just to make you appreciate everything else out there a bit more. Anyone else seen this movie?

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']Sorry about that. It was just before I was heading home for the holidays and realized I had more work to do than I thought and forgot about it until not.

I still have all of the episodes in the first season, but they're varying resolutions (25% HD, the rest in SD) so if you're looking for all HD episodes, it'll either never happen or it'll take forever to do. If you still want them, I'll see what I can do now to get what I have to you. I'll probably see about creating a torrent to put on a site I visit that'll be easy for you to get on since they never close registration (my account's been deleted twice before).[/quote]

No worries. I saw all of season 1. I'm just a touch annoyed I haven't seen it on dvd yet.

[quote name='Kuroi Kaze']I hope you're enjoying Death Note as much as I did, Rig.

Funny I'm chasing your lead on the free360games.com site, then you're watching Death Note like I have, and we're both from Central Illinois.

I hail from P-Town originally...where are you at?[/quote]

I actually go to school in Normal, so that's where I have been the last four years (grew up near Pontiac).

Just got done with episode 25. Really enjoying this series. I should get it finished tonight or tomorrow.

I attended ISU before I moved up here last fall.

I miss ISU...solid school.

Death Note is definitely one of the best series I've seen in years.

the part of death note that was truly stunning to me is when:

Light manages to get the girl's name finally (the former FBI chick who's trying to find Kira cuz her husband died) and he tells her he's Kira then the clock strikes... that moment was haunting. when her face changes to terror and then suicidal.. chills down my spine thinking about it even now :hot:

They have some new anime for download on Live Marketplace. I remember seeing...

Solty Rei
Excel Saga
Godannar

There were more, but that is all I can think of right now.

[quote name='crystalklear64']excel saga is laffs.[/quote]

I have volumes 1-5 on DVD, but I never could find the 6th DVD so I waited to watch it. Guess I'll try to watch it now since I can just download the missing episodes on Live.

Also, I just remembered that the other show they have on Live is Welcome to the NHK. They have the first four episodes.

[quote name='Kuroi Kaze']NHK is great stuff.

I liked it more than Excel.[/QUOTE]
Not hard to out-funny Excel Saga. The frantic yelling didn't make me laugh, it only gave me a headache. Though it did have a *few* decent episodes, to be fair.

I vaguely recall Excel Saga but it's been many years since I've watched it. It was one of the first animes I've ever seen. I've thought about going through it again to catch all the anime references I missed the first time. Maybe when I clear out some of this backlog.

I remember the first and last thirds of the plot were pretty good but the middle section just pointlessly wandered around doing nothing. Also, the final episode completely came out of nowhere. I don't think it even had anything to do with the plot. I just remember it was the best final episode EVER. Oh yeah, and that opening song really grows on you after a while.

Even to this day I still remember the best scene in the entire series.

It feels so good.

OOOOH IT FEELS SO GOOOD!

If its a comedy, which I'll assume it is since its being compared to Excel Saga, I can say with certainty I won't like it. "Funny" stuff isn't funny to me anymore, the internet has made me too jaded. Unless theres tragic things happening, its not funny.

It really shouldn't be compared with Excel Saga.

It starts out absurd, and there are some comedic parts, but overall, it's far different/better than Excel Saga.

Well so far the 3 Fist of the North Star DVDs are the only things I've found I'd want.. only 7 more to go >.>

Theres a couple of series that are 7 DVD's in length, but none of them really looked that good.

[quote name='crystalklear64']If its a comedy, which I'll assume it is since its being compared to Excel Saga, I can say with certainty I won't like it. "Funny" stuff isn't funny to me anymore, the internet has made me too jaded. Unless theres tragic things happening, its not funny.[/QUOTE]

This part made me laugh aloud. It's like you're describing NHK without even realizing it.

The other guy was right though. I shouldn't compare a comedy like Excel Saga to a drama like NHK. I'm trying to think of another comedy series but I'm drawing a blank here. Oh wait, I remember watching Puni Puni Poemi a long time ago which was made by the same people as Excel. Now that was one weird ass anime. I could barely keep up with the action and read the subs at the same time.

Well, it'll depend on whether or not the show is self-aware. The shit happening to Pedro in Excel was always tragic, but it was obviously made to be funny in that way. Thats the wrong kind of tragic.

[quote name='GuilewasNK']Whoa, when the hell did Newtype USA die?[/quote]

I think they announced about a week or so ago that their February 2008 issue would be their last. I believe there was also a mention of retooling such that it may come back in another form but Newtype USA was amongst some of the major cuts ADV recently made (ie: no more copious freebie materials to anime clubs, Anime Network being a strictly On-Demand channel rather than a 24/7 setup, etc.).

If I also remember one determining factor was that Geneon used to buy a lot of ad space in Newtype USA and with their ceasing of US distribution...well...

[quote name='Kapwanil']I think they announced about a week or so ago that their February 2008 issue would be their last. I believe there was also a mention of retooling such that it may come back in another form but Newtype USA was amongst some of the major cuts ADV recently made (ie: no more copious freebie materials to anime clubs, Anime Network being a strictly On-Demand channel rather than a 24/7 setup, etc.).

If I also remember one determining factor was that Geneon used to buy a lot of ad space in Newtype USA and with their ceasing of US distribution...well...[/quote]

Man, things are getting crazy.

Woot, both "Place Promised in Our Early Days" and "5cm Per Second" have been announced for both HD-DVD & Blu-Ray. They will release on 4/18 and have a price of $55.26 per movie; which is more than i would probably pay, but its still cheap for a "R2 R1" (Basically, Region 2 Prices with Region 1 settings) movie. No word about audio or subs yet.

Hopefully if ADV sees them doing well, we'll get a reasonably priced release here.

[quote name='GuilewasNK']Man, One Piece has got to have some of the weirdest looking, most bizarre characters in anime.[/quote]

That's why it's so awesome.

If I was to ever buy a Blu-Ray player then 5cm per second would be one of the first films I get. That movie was one of the most beautiful animes I've ever seen.

I just watched Witchblade with a mix reaction. I love the animation and fight scenes but the story wasn't there for me. Just wondering if it picks up in later episodes. I have only watched the first episode because it was a free download on the Xbox 360. Wondering if I should bother downloading the rest.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back