SAACHU ANDO DESUTOROI!! Anime & Manga Thread Lives Again

Status
Not open for further replies.
Took a break for a while, but recently got back into the anime thing. So here is what I've been watching/have watched lately:

Finished:

REC - Liked it a lot, though very short. A good quick watch.
Claymore - Really good actually...although it leaves you wanting more at the end and it didn't come to a very satisfying ending. :(
Nodame Cantabile - Didn't expect to like this based on the subject, but ended up being great. :)
Minami-Ke - Entertaining and funny...enjoyed.

Currently Watching:

Ghost Hound - Really enjoying this, love the weird stuff. :)
Clannad - Was enjoying it but my wanting to watch it has died off a bit.
True Tears - Like is so far, but nothing too special.

Still need to finish up Planetes. Loved it but for some reason stopped watching it towards the middle of the series. Same with Mushishi. Also I'd like to start watching GITS: SAC, Kashimashi, Princess Tutu and Dennou Coil next...not sure what I'll start with.

I tend to either stop watching anime completely or go all out...and right now seems to be an "all out" phase. :)

[quote name='twiztidgear']Also I'd like to start watching GITS: SAC, Kashimashi, Princess Tutu and Dennou Coil next...not sure what I'll start with.[/QUOTE]
TUTU IS SO GOOD!!

twiztidgear: You should check out the Claymore manga ^ ^ , it goes way beyond where the anime ends...

The Nodame Japanese Drama is REALLY good!

[quote name='MarkMan']twiztidgear: You should check out the Claymore manga ^ ^ , it goes way beyond where the anime ends...

The Nodame Japanese Drama is REALLY good![/QUOTE]

I might just have to do that. :) It was no berserk but the ending was very unfulfilling, seeing as how everything is aparently just getting started. Haven't looked up any info but I wonder if they will be continuing the story anime wise...

[quote name='crystalklear64']Been watching One Piece, up to ep. 30. Actually, a pretty enjoyable show. Reminds me a lot of the original Dragonball.[/quote]

Im guna start watching One Piece again, i was up to about episode 30 aswell.

[quote name='LCL']Im guna start watching One Piece again, i was up to about episode 30 aswell.[/QUOTE]

One Piece to me is very fucking awesome. Top five on my list even though it is far from finished and I haven't been keeping up with it for a while. It definitely has some of the best anime moments. :)

just finished watching AIR again,and im waiting for Tuesday to come so i can get death note vol 3 and hell girl vol 4. But till then im watching fate night stay again and Gankutsuou

Has anyone seen the first box set of Yu Yu Hakusho on sale new and sealed somewhere besides EBay recently? I've got the other 4 and am looking to complete my collection.

[quote name='twiztidgear']One Piece to me is very fucking awesome. Top five on my list even though it is far from finished and I haven't been keeping up with it for a while. It definitely has some of the best anime moments. :)[/quote]

yeah i definitely have to go back and watch it, i do like it i just stopped because its such a long series and will just take ages to get through.

[quote name='MSUHitman']Has anyone seen the first box set of Yu Yu Hakusho on sale new and sealed somewhere besides EBay recently? I've got the other 4 and am looking to complete my collection.[/QUOTE]
Anime + eBay = bootleg alert!

[quote name='Kirin Lemon']Anime + eBay = bootleg alert![/quote]

yeh that is very true, if you buy from ebay it will often be a bootleg.

ways of knowing its a bootleg:
  • They will be region free
  • The sellers will often be in Asia
  • The DVD box sets will often be very cheap
  • They will come on fewer discs than the real things
fewer discs = they will be compressed (lower quality)

It's not always bootleg, but you have to be diligent and ask the seller questions. I often don't even bother with auctions with stock photos.

[quote name='twiztidgear']Just finished up Kashimashi. It was alright...was very bland though.[/QUOTE]
Yes, there was a reason I emphasized Tutu. You definitely picked the absolute *worst* from your list to watch first.

the only anime i bought off ebay had an actual picture. then i asked the seller for more detailed pics and they provided them.

a little off topic but ebay can fvck themselves, fee-hiking bastards. i will never sell with them again.

[quote name='Kirin Lemon']Yes, there was a reason I emphasized Tutu. You definitely picked the absolute *worst* from your list to watch first.[/QUOTE]

Sorry :) I did start watching Tutu though...I'm liking it so far.

[quote name='twiztidgear']Just finished up Kashimashi. It was alright...was very bland though.[/quote]

I have seen it and thought it was decent. Idenitity crises and "fish out of water" type storylines are usually good for some entertaining situations if nothing else.

[quote name='twiztidgear']Sorry :) I did start watching Tutu though...I'm liking it so far.[/QUOTE]
It gets better and better until it skyrockets into the stratosphere with awesomeness. Hope you enjoy it as much as I do!

[quote name='Inf^Shini']How is Eureka Seven? I was thinking about picking up some of the LE volumes from the Rightstuf sale, should I ?:/[/QUOTE]
It's decent, but a big investment if you plan on buying it all, especially if you're going for the LE versions. I'm waiting on a collection (likely two volumes).

Eureka was good, but it had its ups and downs. Except for Charles and Ray, the whole middle section of that show bored me. But the beginning and the end were really good.

Also some episodes seemed pointless. Like the soccer one.

[quote name='assassinX']Dude I just realized how badass Charles is in Eureka 7.[/QUOTE]
The arc with Charles and Ray was my favorite part of the series.

Charles and Ray was definitely my favorite arc in the series too. I thought Eureka was a pretty good series, but there was definitely some parts where I considered quitting.

I have to say, I was bored so I decided to give watching Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann and so far I'm enjoying the bit I've watched. I've only seen three episodes but I'm enjoying that it's not your typical mecha anime.

How long is Eureka Seven? Over 26 episodes, right? It dragged on too much for me, so I thought it would've been better if it were re-worked for just 26 episodes.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']How long is Eureka Seven? Over 26 episodes, right? It dragged on too much for me, so I thought it would've been better if it were re-worked for just 26 episodes.[/QUOTE]
Off the top of my head, I believe it's 52. Definitely agree with you that it could've been cut to half that.

I gave Eureka7 a shot but it just didn't stick w/ me after 4 episodes (despite its admittedly cool premise). Oh well, at least you all seemed to like it.

i'm watching Hikaru no Go and it's truly gripping stuff. :) never thought watching people play a board game could be such compelling entertainment

[quote name='tehweezner']i'm watching Hikaru no Go and it's truly gripping stuff. :) never thought watching people play a board game could be such compelling entertainment[/quote]

If you liked that, check out Shion No Ou. It's about shogi aka japanese chess w/ a touch of murder on the side.

[quote name='jaykrue']I gave Eureka7 a shot but it just didn't stick w/ me after 4 episodes (despite its admittedly cool premise). Oh well, at least you all seemed to like it.[/quote]

I just hated the fact so many people treated Renton like shit.

[quote name='GuilewasNK']I just hated the fact so many people treated Renton like shit.[/quote]

Ditto on that but the story felt like it didn't go anywhere so I gave up on it. If I knew it picked up about 7-10 eps. in, I'd probably been a bit more patient w/ it. As it is, I doubt I'll go back and see it as there's still way too many things to see (and that's aside from the anime I've got on backlog on both dvd & torrent).

[quote name='Bezerker']I've been watching Mushishi. I just finished disc 2 and i'm just wondering if there is any on-going storyline somewhere in this series, or is it just a "Demon (Mushi) of the Week" show?[/quote]

I think Mushi-shi is just a Mushi of the week show I've only seen 1-3 and so far that's how it's been also one of the episodes on the third DVD was about Ginkgo's past, but I haven't seen 4 and 5 so it might have more of something I don't know..

Wow. I can't say I saw that coming in Gurren Lagann 8.
Kamina's death leaves me saddened as he's easily been my favorite character up to this point.

[quote name='karsh']Wow. I can't say I saw that coming in Gurren Lagann 8.
Kamina's death leaves me saddened as he's easily been my favorite character up to this point.
[/quote]

That's one thing I really liked about Gurren Lagann -
they aren't afraid of killin' a main character off. Makes for a good storyline since you can really connect w/ the the characters (despite their outrageous personalities).

[quote name='jaykrue']That's one thing I really liked about Gurren Lagann -
they aren't afraid of killin' a main character off. Makes for a good storyline since you can really connect w/ the the characters (despite their outrageous personalities).
[/quote]

I'll definitely completely agree with that. If there's one thing this show has become really good at for me, it's connecting with these characters.
I really felt for Simon and Yoko right after Kamina's death. Though I'm so glad they chose to not keep Simon a complete emo mess, or at least it seems that idea is gone, since he did his version of a Kamina entrance. Hell, I got excited when he did the Kamina-point in episode 11.
I'm definitely glad I decided to give this show a watch.

[quote name='tehweezner']i'm watching Hikaru no Go and it's truly gripping stuff. :) never thought watching people play a board game could be such compelling entertainment[/QUOTE]

You have no idea how happy it makes me to see another Hikaru no Go fan on CAG :whee:

2nd eps. of Season 2 for Moonlight Mile is out. Frisky, this message is mainly for you but I figured other MM fans would want to be informed.

[quote name='Kirin Lemon']Have fun with those dubtitles.[/QUOTE]
I honestly couldn't care less.

1. Even subs aren't exact translations

2. The dub isn't some wildly different translation that has nothing to do with the show.

Anime fans get a little ridiculous with their complaints sometimes.

[quote name='Rei no Otaku']I honestly couldn't care less.

1. Even subs aren't exact translations

2. The dub isn't some wildly different translation that has nothing to do with the show.

Anime fans get a little ridiculous with their complaints sometimes.[/QUOTE]

These complaints are valid. It has the potential to make a big difference. In order to make the lips and time spans sync, a lot of accuracy may be sacrificed.

1. Subs tend to be a much closer translation.(Less loss of details and maybe reduced change in plot)

2. Differences can be make undesirable alterations to the story.

Of course it does depend strongly on how the particular company handles the dubbing of the anime. Personally, I would prefer translations of the Japanese for my subtitles and if I wanted dubs, I would just listen to the dubs.

[quote name='mkg12']These complaints are valid. It has the potential to make a big difference. In order to make the lips and time spans sync, a lot of accuracy may be sacrificed.

1. Subs tend to be a much closer translation.(Less loss of details and maybe reduced change in plot)

2. Differences can be make undesirable alterations to the story.

Of course it does depend strongly on how the particular company handles the dubbing of the anime. Personally, I would prefer translations of the Japanese for my subtitles and if I wanted dubs, I would just listen to the dubs.[/QUOTE]

agreed.

hey are the series Peacekeeper and Crest of Stars anygood?

[quote name='Rei no Otaku']Picked up the Blood+ box set today.[/QUOTE]

i found it to be boring... but how much didi u pick it up for?

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back