Samurai Shodown: Edge of Destiny (360)

Yeah not excited for this one at all. Mainly cuz It's 3d. Damn SS would have looked nice with those new KOF graphics.

Do not want. More 2D HD a la KOFXII, plz, SNK.

And while you're at it, why not make them "HD" sprites a bit more HD? They look pretty block, sometimes...

Looks like KOF: Maximum Impact, which is both a good and bad thing. Good because it makes it alot more fast paced and easy to pick up compared to the 2D ones. Bad because it's cheap and it'll feel like a lite version of it's predecessors.

It looks good, but I'm not so sure I'd want to play it. Samurai Shodown 2 is the pinnacle of that series and still one of the greatest all time fighting games.

It looks okay, but SNK just can't get 3D right so I'm very skeptical. Wish they had more characters but it's nice to see Kazuki made the cut.

XBox 360 exclusive?
More like ported to the PS3 one year later with extra characters. But It's all good.

I don't think the Sam Shodown 2 port to XBLA sold well (granted it was expensive at $10) I'm surprised the PS3 isn't getting a version at release considering they got Sam Shodown collection.

Putting it on my XMas list along with Tekken.

[quote name='bobo2k4']This is a 360 game? The graphics make it look like a PS2 game.[/QUOTE]

Yeah. The graphics aren't to great. Although the game is going to cost 39.99 instead of 59.99. I'm shocked it is coming out as soon as it is.

[quote name='Monsta Mack']XBox 360 exclusive?
More like ported to the PS3 one year later with extra characters. But It's all good.

I don't think the Sam Shodown 2 port to XBLA sold well (granted it was expensive at $10) I'm surprised the PS3 isn't getting a version at release considering they got Sam Shodown collection.

Putting it on my XMas list along with Tekken.[/QUOTE]

That is what baffled me - why not port the collection to the 360 and add online play to the disc? I've played my PS2 collection a total of twice...and I love it, but I'd probably get more play out of it if it was on the 360.

Does gamestop even have a listing for this? I can't seem to find it. Newegg has a preorder up for 36.99 though with free shipping

I think it looks ok, but after KoF: Maximum Impact, I think I'll have to pass. That game was just so-so and not really fun. I love Samurai Shodown to death, but this doesn't look that great to be honest. now a SS with the new KoF graphics or Street Fighter 4 graphics would kill. I'll probably pick this up when it drops and is $20 at the earliest.

[quote name='Masterkyo']At least is coming out. I more into 2D fighting instead 3D. Still playing Samurai Showdown Anthology :)[/QUOTE]

Which one do you have? I have been trying to find a PS2 SSA since the damn thing was supposedly released, but haven't been able to find the thing anywhere.

[quote name='hiccupleftovers']Which one do you have? I have been trying to find a PS2 SSA since the damn thing was supposedly released, but haven't been able to find the thing anywhere.[/QUOTE]

Amazon had it in stock for a few months which is where I got it from. Unfortunately if you want it now good luck, it went out of print and the price sky rocketed out of the blue. If you're going to buy it do it now, the rush of people making a profit on ebay has lowered the price quite a bit in the past 2 weeks but there just weren't that many copies out there so its bound to go back up especially with the Christmas holiday coming up.

Wow, you're right. SSA is getting pricey. I had no idea. This might be a game worth hanging onto just to see were it goes.

I also got mine from Amazon for about $12. In fact I don't know of anyone else selling them besides Amazon (at least the PS2 version) Gamestop never carried it. I just checked their website and it's not even in their database. However the Wii & PSP versions are.

Basically just waiting for Amazon to have this up for pre-orders.
Wow @ Sam Shodown Anthology prices. PSP is still low though.

[quote name='Monsta Mack']Basically just waiting for Amazon to have this up for pre-orders.
Wow @ Sam Shodown Anthology prices. PSP is still low though.[/QUOTE]

Amazon and Gamestop both act like the game doesn't exist . It was supposed to come out on 11/17 so if Amazon were going to have a preorder they would have done it already.

Well good news bad news

Good - Samurai Shodown is still coming out and Gamestop along with Amazon have it up for preorder
Bad - Renamed Samurai Shodown Sen the preorder prices went up across the board

After the mess that KOF XII was I have no problem with them trying 3D. If that was the best best they could do with 2D after all these years they can keep it.

^ SNK's 3D work hasn't been much to talk about either. I had fun with the KOF Max Impact series but it wasn't anything great. I would've liked them to try another 2D game. They've at least made good 2D fighters in the past. I know this sounds negative but I don't expect much from this game.

I don't expect much either but I pre-ordered it.

Looking at fighters this year there won't be much outside of BlazBlue 1.5 and Super Street Fighter 4 Rainbow Sprinkles Edition.

I know theres E3 to come, but what other fighters are getting released in the US worth buying this year besides those that I mentioned?

Game finally came out this week and I got it.

Impressions - It's a decent fighting game. You got a nice roster of 24 characters + 2 unlockables (Big Boss and Boss before Big Boss) and the usual variety of SNK (lol) fighting modes.

Combat seems to be both good and bad. Simple enough for anyone to get into and I don't see anything horribly unbalanced except for the second to last boss who uses a gun (when everyone is using swords you can obviously see the disadvantage here) but that's typical SNK cheap fashion for you. It's bad in the sense it doesn't entirely feel like a Sam Shodown game and more of a Tekken/Soul Calibur hybrid. Also, the heavy slash does do a stupid amount of damage yet at the same time leaves you wide open which I believe is pretty fair. Also, for some reason the standard throw in the game is the exact same for every single character in the game. That's not to say Hanzo doesn't have his own unique throws, because he does and they are pretty bad ass.

The single player consist of - A Story mode where you go through 7 fights including Big Boss, you get a explanation of what each character is going through via text and a Japanese voice over for that text).

Practice (Where you practice your moves of course!)

VS (Play against the CPU or your fortunate friend sitting next to you, or perhaps unfortunate?)

Survival (Keep doing till you lose. I believe theres an achievement for beating 23 people or more without dying.)

Online is pretty basic. For some reason theres a Party Chat option yet I believe the matchs are only 1v1 with no group fighting (though I could be wrong, need more friends with the game to test this lol). Theres Player Match and Ranked Match - and I don't see a option to choose the stage background, as it seems random. In Player Match you can select the boss characters but not in Ranked Match.

The best part about online? Theres no lag, at least from the six matchs I played. However, there are very few people playing this game. I REPEAT - THERES NO LAG! Thank you SNK for getting your head right with this one.

My wager? Well It's a 3d version of Sam Shodown, and doesn't exactly 100% feel like the old 2d games. I think It's worth a good $20 or $30 if your into fighting games, but don't pay full price unless you think this is going to be rare or really have a love for SNK fighting games.

Also we should rename the Title to Samuari Shodown: Sen.

If any of you CAGers happen to get the game/rent it give me a add. I'll play you, but I can't promise I'll be much of a challenge because I suck at almost every fighting game in existence lol.

Well it seems better then KOF12 and at least doesn't lag online at all.

The game has been growing over me the last few hours. You can also parry/interupt of sorts by pushing back or down + block which I didn't know till recently. Also theres a desperation move, though somewhat hard to pull off because you have to have 25% or less life left and have to activate rage mode and then do dragon punch motion + light and medium strike. But you pretty much get a instant kill if it lands.

I've seen some nice combos get laid out so there is some depth to it.

Several of my friends call it Samuari Shodown went 3D and bumped into Soul Calibur and had a little baby. The child doesn't look pretty but she's decent enough to play through. I just wish she wasn't so expensive ($50).

Same, had this remained a game that could be had for 36 as it was originally I would have gotten it already but i'm not paying full price for something that looks like a ps2 game. Quick look on ebay shows it is already at the 43 shipped level, won't be long before it hits 30.

Yeah for a used copy the market will be cheaper. If It's anything like KOF12 you'll get a small window to get the game cheap via Gamefly or Newegg but won't drop too much because it will be a one shipment run unless XSEED sells out. XSEED is a company that doesn't exactly produce a lot of games.

This game is getting fairly bad reviews across the board. I read the only "positive" review listed on gamerankings which was a 7.5 and honestly, the guy writes a horrible review to begin with. A rental if I can get it from GF, otherwise, I'll stick to my Neo Geo games on my old Xbox.

I got this for review last week and...yeah, it isn't exactly the greatest SamSho game ever. Or even the best one on the 360 - that would be SamSho II on XBLA. Stick with that one for your 360 SamSho needs unless this hits $20, it's at $35 used already at Gamestop, so give it...a few days. LOL.

[quote name='JaytheGamefan']I got this for review last week and...yeah, it isn't exactly the greatest SamSho game ever. Or even the best one on the 360 - that would be SamSho II on XBLA. Stick with that one for your 360 SamSho needs unless this hits $20, it's at $35 used already at Gamestop, so give it...a few days. LOL.[/QUOTE]

I dunno, this game looks weird. I don't know that its even the best 3D Shodown...

[quote name='Monsta Mack']
The best part about online? Theres no lag, at least from the six matchs I played. However, there are very few people playing this game. I REPEAT - THERES NO LAG! Thank you SNK for getting your head right with this one.
[/QUOTE]

Haha SNKp. VERY FUNNY. I ALMOST LIKE IT. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

[quote name='jman619']IGN gave this game a 4. So why do I still want to play it?:whistle2:k[/QUOTE]

Well put. I'm thinking the same thing.

bread's done
Back