San Diego Comic-Con International - ALL DAYS SOLD OUT!

MarkMan

CAGiversary!
Feedback
5 (100%)
Get hyped! CAG, who is attending? The biggest convention and geek fest of it's kind!

I'll be there as always, this will be my 17th year going since I was a youngin...

More information here:

http://www.comic-con.org/cci/

4 day memberships are now sold out online... no 4 day passes will be sold at the door.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='RiCeBo1']So is all days sold out? Even Sunday? I wouldn't be able to just walk in and register?[/quote]

Nope. Broke my heart. What a year to miss it too, I could tell just by looking at their info that Capcom probably had a bigger booth than Marvel.

capcom had a boxing ring full of street fighter games and they had a whole merchandising section.
u can buy the MGS4 gun metal ps3 for 500 at comiccon... at konami booth

Post magnet pix please.

I scored a 1gb thumb drive with a movie on it, some iTunes codes for Bleach & some new show I can't remember. Is $20 for bleach DVD good? Or can I do better @ ritestuff?

Can it be really true? I was planning on going Sunday just for the Exhibit hall and now I hear even that's sold out.

Don't they have exhibit hall pass only for those who just want to buy stuff?

[quote name='lilith']Can it be really true? I was planning on going Sunday just for the Exhibit hall and now I hear even that's sold out.

Don't they have exhibit hall pass only for those who just want to buy stuff?[/QUOTE]

Nope. The show is completely sold out. The exhibit hall was even more packed than some of the panels today. Some years if you showed up the last hour or so on Sunday when everyone was dumping stuff at a discount, they let you in free or just stopped checking badges. You could try that, but it's a big YMMV.

[quote name='Furashu']ill save u some time and gas

" THERE WILL BE NO ONSITE REGISTRATION"

i quote the website!

http://comic-con.org/

and in the title of the thread ALL DAYS SOLD OUT.

its okay u can go next year. and the year after that since u live in SD![/QUOTE]

Oh well, I can care less about it anyways. Everytime I go I just end up being bored. Comic-Con is overrated IMO. But more power to you guys who enjoy it though :)

[quote name='bojay1997']Nope. The show is completely sold out. The exhibit hall was even more packed than some of the panels today. Some years if you showed up the last hour or so on Sunday when everyone was dumping stuff at a discount, they let you in free or just stopped checking badges. You could try that, but it's a big YMMV.[/quote]

I always thought that the registration was just for the set activities planned for that day be it film screenings or gallery showcase. In any case thank you for confirming.

[quote name='RiCeBo1']Oh well, I can care less about it anyways. Everytime I go I just end up being bored. Comic-Con is overrated IMO. But more power to you guys who enjoy it though :)[/QUOTE]

I don't know, it seems like video games might be the next area that really sees substantial expansion at Comic Con. Sony had a sizeable presence and was demoing Little Big Planet, Singstar, Buzz, Socom and several other games. Capcom had massive SFIV tournaments and Microsoft put on a huge panel with Gears of War 2 and Fable 2 demos hosted by Cliffy B and Peter M. I suspect unless E3 opens to the public or at least goes back to being more lax on registration, Comic Con will become the defacto video game show just like it is now for Sci-Fi and Fantasy and now even some mainstream movies and television shows. Having said that, the massive crowds this year really killed a lot of the enjoyment. Panels were all sold out and required standing in line well in advance or sitting in the same place for several in a row to assure seeing the panels you really wanted to see. Even the exhibit hall had fewer small vendors and the aisles were very hard to navigate mid-day. I'm glad I only went today and probably couldn't have handled more than about six hours.

[quote name='bojay1997']I don't know, it seems like video games might be the next area that really sees substantial expansion at Comic Con. Sony had a sizeable presence and was demoing Little Big Planet, Singstar, Buzz, Socom and several other games. Capcom had massive SFIV tournaments and Microsoft put on a huge panel with Gears of War 2 and Fable 2 demos hosted by Cliffy B and Peter M. I suspect unless E3 opens to the public or at least goes back to being more lax on registration, Comic Con will become the defacto video game show just like it is now for Sci-Fi and Fantasy and now even some mainstream movies and television shows. Having said that, the massive crowds this year really killed a lot of the enjoyment. Panels were all sold out and required standing in line well in advance or sitting in the same place for several in a row to assure seeing the panels you really wanted to see. Even the exhibit hall had fewer small vendors and the aisles were very hard to navigate mid-day. I'm glad I only went today and probably couldn't have handled more than about six hours.[/QUOTE]

I feel exactly how you feel.

What made the exhibit hall more impacted and miserable was when all the TV / movie booth were signing autographs (almost )all at the same time. That was a nightmare.

fuck I'm tired. Just got home from Comic-Con Saturday. My brother beasted in gaming today. He won the Tekken 5: Dark Resurrection tournament and got 4th overall for the Konami Metal Gear Online tournament. His team won though for the 4 vs 4 team battle that Konami also held for the Metal Gear Online finals. He won this NICE Metal Gear Online poster that I've never seen anywhere before that was signed by both Hideo Kojima and Yoji Shinkawa.

I got to meet up with Yoshinori Ono (Producer of Street Fighter IV) and we talked about a few things and projects we're working on together. I got two signed IV posters and went on my way.

On the way out I spotted some Devil May Cry stuff. (InuFaye, if you're reading this, I got a Capcom official Devil May Cry 4 poster for you if you want it).

Finally towards the end of this hectic day we had Blaz Blue up for play in our gaming room. People were blown away by the graphics and gameplay. If I never mentioned this before, I'll mention this now. It is very unique and plays a lot like Guilty Gear with a mix of Virtua Fighter/Tekken/Third Strike thrown in.

The funniest part was when they announced the prizes for the MGO tournament. 1st got a 40GB LE Gunmetal PS3 signed by Hideo Kojima & Yoji Shinkawa (with an illustration by Shinkawa on it as well) + some money. The announcer stated, "NO one else in has one of these!!!"

I laughed it off because I got one the day before after hangin' out with the homies Yoji and Hideo...

Some pics:

2703337660_9cc22fd0af.jpg

2702516273_672892117e.jpg

2701378437_24d22ca067.jpg

I registered today for next year and bought a ticket for a friend of mine who is going to join me next year for some of the festivities.

The big mistakes I made were:
1- Missing Joss Whedon panels for any reason
2- Not getting in the Venture Brothers line earlier (1 hour early is not enough). Same mistake as in 2006 but with Aqua Teen Hunger Force- the room was packed and the line to get in was ~3 hours long
3- Buying a DVD box set (Bleach vol 1) that was cheaper at Amazon than at the con
4- Parking where I did at old town. At least the car didn't get towed.
5- Not packing lunch or water
6- Missing out thursday cuz I decided to upgrade iphone firmware and was stoopid about it, and it took longer than it shouldve.

I had a great time tho. I wished I could've scored some free blu-ray discs... even free DVDs would've been nice. I scored 3 free flash drives- Tony Stark, something from Paramount, and a Blockbuster thumbdrive... 512mb, 128mb and 1gb respectively. 2 free Itunes downloads also. (bleach episode 1 and something else I havent redeemed yet).

I missed out on the NBC's Heroes watch but I manged to find it available on the NBC store online. They have a page dedicated to the Comic-Con exclusives:
http://www.nbcuniversalstore.com/?v=nbc_the-office_comic-con

This is the watch:
00062297-953374.jpg

Comic-Con Sylar Helix Glow in the Dark Watch

Discreetly alerting other Heroes to your presence might be easier (but less discreet) with this Comic-Con Sylar Helix Glow in the Dark Watch. With glow-in-the-dark hands and a glow-in-the-dark Helix symbol, you're sure to draw attention. Other features include a wide adjustable strap and symbols in place of numbers.

This item is exclusive to NBC and Comic-Con San Diego and there are only 500 available, each one numbered! Buy now to ensure your space in time!

Use coupon code "SHOPNEW" and get 15% off. Got the watch after tax and shipping for $48.xx

[quote name='h0mi']
3- Buying a DVD box set (Bleach vol 1) that was cheaper at Amazon than at the con[/quote]

Any merchandise that's sold at Comic Con by the company that actually makes it is always going to be more expensive than Amazon. You'll always pay cover price at the Con from pretty much everything except half-price trades.

The pre-registration cost was $65 which I assume will be lower than online registration.

[quote name='dan13l858']This year was pretty good. I got my copy of snatcher signed by Kojima. He laughed when he saw the game. Awesome[/quote]
That was you? Nice. I was just a few spots ahead of you in line, we talked briefly, but I don't think I did anything that would distinguish me from others other than having the giant WB Wonder Woman bag. What did you get Yoji Shinkawa to sign?

Did anyone happen to see if Capcom discounted any of their games after 4:15 or so on Sunday? Up till that point, I think only Megaman Leo and Pegasus and a couple others dropped in price. They got very generous with free promo stuff (I got a couple We Golf controller bags, a DMC IV art book and some tattoos and stickers), but I had to leave at 4:15 so I never saw if the games and other stuff actually went for cheap.

[quote name='bojay1997']Did anyone happen to see if Capcom discounted any of their games after 4:15 or so on Sunday? Up till that point, I think only Megaman Leo and Pegasus and a couple others dropped in price. They got very generous with free promo stuff (I got a couple We Golf controller bags, a DMC IV art book and some tattoos and stickers), but I had to leave at 4:15 so I never saw if the games and other stuff actually went for cheap.[/QUOTE]

Games weren't any cheaper after 4:15. They stayed the same price. I had my eye on Apollo Justice. :(

[quote name='bojay1997']I don't know, it seems like video games might be the next area that really sees substantial expansion at Comic Con. Sony had a sizeable presence and was demoing Little Big Planet, Singstar, Buzz, Socom and several other games. Capcom had massive SFIV tournaments and Microsoft put on a huge panel with Gears of War 2 and Fable 2 demos hosted by Cliffy B and Peter M. I suspect unless E3 opens to the public or at least goes back to being more lax on registration, Comic Con will become the defacto video game show just like it is now for Sci-Fi and Fantasy and now even some mainstream movies and television shows. Having said that, the massive crowds this year really killed a lot of the enjoyment. Panels were all sold out and required standing in line well in advance or sitting in the same place for several in a row to assure seeing the panels you really wanted to see. Even the exhibit hall had fewer small vendors and the aisles were very hard to navigate mid-day. I'm glad I only went today and probably couldn't have handled more than about six hours.[/quote]

I was able to score a press pass at the last minute, I had to conduct some interviews and attend some panels but missed others I wanted to see. I was getting in at 6 am just to park underneath the convention center. I had a cooler in my car with food and water. I was going to bed at midnight, and getting up at 5. I am glad I dont have that schedule anymore, but I got to see the first episode of this seasons "Hero's" and spoke with Bruce Campbell. He had a panel that few knew about(here it is, I needed a tripod, a little shaky 3 parts http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ST16OzKcnpQ.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ilLsw4IF4Q4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QLbbnv0L700) I was able to get into the press area of hall H, but wasnt given prefered entrance, could not get into Watchmen. As far as the video games, I interviewed a rep from THQ and he said since E3 has changed, this is their new forum.

[quote name='outphase']The pre-registration cost was $65 which I assume will be lower than online registration.

That was you? Nice. I was just a few spots ahead of you in line, we talked briefly, but I don't think I did anything that would distinguish me from others other than having the giant WB Wonder Woman bag. What did you get Yoji Shinkawa to sign?[/QUOTE]

That was me. i hope my CAG pic matches my Real Life avatar. Ha, Yoji signed the back of the cover. i said it was okay because he did work on the sequel to Snatcher (Policenauts).

[quote name='Panda']Games weren't any cheaper after 4:15. They stayed the same price. I had my eye on Apollo Justice. :([/QUOTE]

The last two years at Comic Con, Capcom sold discounted games the whole weekend. This year, they got a little greedy and actually sold games above the retail price (Zak and Wii for 30 bucks). I guess they want to lug and ship all those unsold games back home.

[quote name='Vegan']Any merchandise that's sold at Comic Con by the company that actually makes it is always going to be more expensive than Amazon. You'll always pay cover price at the Con from pretty much everything except half-price trades.[/quote]

Or items from much smaller distributors. I bought Red Vs Blue blood gulch box set, its normally $70 (and not sure how much shipping is). I paid $50 for it. If I waited until Sunday at 3-4pm I probably could've gotten it cheaper but didn't think it was worth sticking around.

Lesson learned, what can I say. Also it's safe to say I will buy very very few DVDs going forward

I had fun the previous 2 years, but this year I was pretty underwhelmed. I was glad to see the MST3K panel Friday, but free passes or not.. I will think twice about going next year.

bread's done
Back