Scratched off XBL 4000 points card code - any happy endings?

crapstack

CAGiversary!
hey everyone,
I just got a 4000 xbox live point card... assuming it had atleast the technology of a 1$ lottery scratchit I removed more than half the code by scratching too hard (which wasn't that hard).. $50 down the drain? :bomb:

Anyway, I know theres more threads addressing this, but i'm wondering if anyone has had a resolve or has experienced a happy ending after going through this...
thanks
_Crap

Try contacting microsoft about it, Maybe they'll help you (I know, its a long shot in the dark)

I did try contacting MS but they said to return it to the store I bought it from, which was BUY.com... I'm not sure if thats the best way to fix this... but i'm gonna give it a shot if I dont get any better ideas.

I considered buying one locally and pulling the old switcheroo but I've been hearing about cards more sophisticated than the Scratch card and with my luck I'll end up getting the new generation of xbl point cards..

Out of curiosity, what exactly did you use to scratch it off with? I made the mistake of using a box cutter once, since the card was in a plastic shell, and almost had the blasted thing illegible. About 5 tries later I still got my 1600 points.

Yeah, that's pretty much what you should expect from MS when it comes to this situation. A little bit of Goo Gone works very well in getting rid of the gray stuff without leaving bits of it all over the place or scratching off the code itself.

I had the same thing happen when I used a pair of scissors to scrach off the code, but fortunately only 2 characters got rubbed off and I just keep using different combinations until it worked.

Microsoft will tell you to return it, the store will tell you to call Microsoft, it's an endless battle that results in you never getting your money back. I've had to deal with this issue personally many times. Customer story..

"My code scratched off, what should I do?"
"What'd you scratch it off with?"
"My hunting knife"
"Are you serious?!"
"Well, it didn't say what to scratch it off with!"

:whee: :dunce:

Tell them you'll report them to the Better Business Bureau for selling a defective product and insist the scratch-off material is designed to screw over customers. Anything to make it seem like they are running a scam. Always ask to speak to a superior. Even the superior's superior. Ask for names and request that they record your call. In the end, all that might just scare the shit out of them and you'll get credited 4000 points. Especially the BBB threat.

[quote name='blair2100']I had the same thing happen when I used a pair of scissors to scrach off the code, but fortunately only 2 characters got rubbed off and I just keep using different combinations until it worked.[/QUOTE]

That is exactly what I did one time, only I scratched off approx. 60% of the code. The microsoft guy in India told me to take it back to the store, which happened to be gamestop. The guy at the store didn't ask any questions and gave me another one. I don't know how good buy.com would be with it though.

Aku - I used scissors to scratch it off..

nowhere on the package does it say to use a coin or be careful.. I certainly will report them to the BBB if this doesnt get resolved. I really am going to fight until this gets resolved..

Seriously this is unacceptable!

I scratched off all numbers but the 1st 5 digits and the last digit... lol, I dont have time to guess the inbetween ;)

thanks for feedback, grim as they may be.

[quote name='blair2100']I had the same thing happen when I used a pair of scissors to scrach off the code, but fortunately only 2 characters got rubbed off and I just keep using different combinations until it worked.[/QUOTE]

same thing happened to me and I did the same thing to get it to work. I'd contact microsoft directly.

[quote name='crapstack']Aku - I used scissors to scratch it off..

nowhere on the package does it say to use a coin or be careful.. I certainly will report them to the BBB if this doesnt get resolved. I really am going to fight until this gets resolved..

Seriously this is unacceptable!

I scratched off all numbers but the 1st 5 digits and the last digit... lol, I dont have time to guess the inbetween ;)

thanks for feedback, grim as they may be.[/quote]

Just curious... at what point do you actually take responsibility for anything? You fucked up and you blame everyone else and want someone else to fix it for you. The reason you can't return it is because people would use the code, then scratch it out and try to return it.

Basically, you bought something, you broke it, your problem. Learn from it, and be more careful next time. Don't blame everyone else, and don't expect everyone to kiss your ass and fix the problem that YOU created.

I use a quarter and I NEVER had something like this happen and I have scratched off many of those hidden codes before.

Common sense should dictate that you should never scratch like a maniac.

Do they do the codes like the do the Live Subscriptions now..or did? All i had to do for that was tear off the carboard and your code is revealed....

[quote name='BackInBlack']Do they do the codes like the do the Live Subscriptions now..or did? All i had to do for that was tear off the carboard and your code is revealed....[/quote]

The older ones aren't the pull-offs.

[quote name='srad1968']Just curious... at what point do you actually take responsibility for anything? You fucked up and you blame everyone else and want someone else to fix it for you. The reason you can't return it is because people would use the code, then scratch it out and try to return it.

Basically, you bought something, you broke it, your problem. Learn from it, and be more careful next time. Don't blame everyone else, and don't expect everyone to kiss your ass and fix the problem that YOU created.
[/quote]

lol.. do you work for microsoft?
Watch your tone, I'm not our mother and don't deserve to be talked to as such.

[quote name='KingofOldSchool'] Common sense should dictate that you should never scratch like a maniac.[/quote]

agreed, which is why it's so aggravating. Typically, I don't do things "like a maniac"

[quote name='slavefive'] I'd contact microsoft directly.[/quote]

I'm not sure where to even start, MS is pretty huge. Any suggestions?

[quote name='srad1968']Just curious... at what point do you actually take responsibility for anything? You fucked up and you blame everyone else and want someone else to fix it for you. The reason you can't return it is because people would use the code, then scratch it out and try to return it.

[/QUOTE]

Word.

No, OP, we don't have to watch our tones, you fucking idiot. You broke it and you are a full blown idiot for using a pair of SCISSORS to scratch something off.

This thread hurts humanity.

Wow I hear a lot of these stories...what do you people scratch it off with lol. Seriously I just use a penny, and a bit of fingernail, and it comes off perfectly.

Oh nvm...scissors.........'nough said.

[quote name='cdietschrun']No, OP, we don't have to watch our tones, you fucking idiot. You broke it and you are a full blown idiot for using a pair of SCISSORS to scratch something off.

This thread hurts humanity.[/quote]

Yeah, stupid me for assuming microsoft obtained the technology that a $1 lottery ticket holds. Theres nothing Idiotic about using an edge shear for scratching.

Theres plenty of people so far who've had the same issue, and not just CAG patrons. Lets leave out the hostile comments and see if we can find a collective resolve.

[quote name='thorbahn3']Use an eraser.[/QUOTE]

Bingo, I've been saying this most of the time I see one of these threads. A pencil eraser works like magic.

[quote name='crapstack']Yeah, stupid me for assuming microsoft obtained the technology that a $1 lottery ticket holds. Theres nothing Idiotic about using an edge shear for scratching.

Theres plenty of people so far who've had the same issue, and not just CAG patrons. Lets leave out the hostile comments and see if we can find a collective resolve.[/QUOTE]

problem here is that you are blaming someone else and making threats for your screw up. be polite to the people without making threats and you wont get flamed. you are saying i am going to go to the BBB for MS not giving me the common sense to use a coin pretty much. also, telling someone to watch their tone and implying they use that tone at there mother wont get you far either. sorry, but my mother has enough common sense to use a coin to scrath something off, so i wouldn't need to give the "you are an idiot tone" to her.

[quote name='Jedi1979']scissors?!:roll:[/quote]

Yea, that's the first thing I thought. Scissors would be like 10th in the "what to scratch something off with" list.

[quote name='deszaras']Yea, that's the first thing I thought. Scissors would be like 10th in the "what to scratch something off with" list.[/quote]

I would say 25th...

Even if you do fuck up there is no reason why they shouldn't help you with a new code, you payed for the service not for a card with a code on the back.

Whoever here mentioned to contact the "BBB" obviously has no clue how little power they (BBB) have, especially against a giant like Microsoft. Contacting the BBB is the equivalent to telling your local police department that a huge corporation "sold you a bad product." They aren't going to give two shits, nor help you.

[quote name='crapstack']lol.. do you work for microsoft?
Watch your tone, I'm not our mother and don't deserve to be talked to as such.

[/quote]

Actually not only do you DESERVE to be spoken to this way, you NEED to be spoken to this way. You are going to bring my mother into this? Well listen, I will tell you something about my mother. She taught me to take responsibility for my own actions. Maybe yours should have done the same.

I am not saying that you won't get help, but you are acting like a little bitch about it. You are blaming everyone in the world and accepting no responsibility for doing something completely stupid. You are one of these ignorant consumers that believes that if they throw a big enough fit then they will get their way.

Instead of acting that way you should be humble. You should call Microsoft up and say, "Look, I screwed up, I am a total idiot. I scratched off my card using scissors when I clearly should have used something more suitable. I will gladly mail you the card at my own expense and let you guys look at it. If you can see that the card was never used would you please send me a replacement. I have learned my lesson and I will use a coin or my fingernail next time and gently scratch it off. I throw myself at your mercy and hope that you will be so kind as to help me."

Trust me, that will get you a much better response than threats will. And you know what? If they still don't take care of you then you have to just suck it up and take responsibility for screwing up.

This is a 3 step process.

1) Realize that you screwed up, your fault, no one else's.
2) Realize that no one owes you anything. You bought a product and destroyed it before you could use it. The product wasn't faulty, your handling of the product was faulty.
3) Realize that if you do get help, you owe them an extreme amount of gratitude for fixing what you messed up.

[/quote]

Dude, you're a dick. There are numerous reports of people using the EXACT same instrument that they have used to scratch off other things and this is the only one that it hasn't worked on. In my case I used a key once. I have scratched off tons of lottery tickets and other cards with keys without ever having an incident. You may have a very small point if the product specifically warned against using certain items and had wording that specifically stated what should be used, but given that it doesn't even have a warning, you are 100% a dick.

why should they have to warn you? do you lack common sense so much that you can't figure out to just use a coin? sorry jkanownik, but you fail here. MS should not have to fix a problem you or anyone else created out of being an idiot.

I slightly damaged one, but was still able to use it. And that was with using a coin. The numbers just come off to easy vs other scratch off things.

They do need to either make the numbers printed better, or just stop with the stupid scratch off things. Put them in an a bubble pack or something. Maybe make the cards paper like a lottery ticket etc.

I just got a 1600 point card last week and there was nothing to scratch or peel off on the card. Code was just written on the back of the card. Perhaps MS has attempted to combat this issue.

MjC

Last year when there was many reports of people doing this I took my used cards (4 of them) and tried to scrape off the numbers with a coin and I couldn't do it. Sure using scissors or a box cutter I could scratch the code off but with a coin it couldn't be done no matter how hard I scratched.

The moral of the story is to use your head before attempting to do something stupid.

[/quote]

QFT

It's reasonable to expect that something which is intended to be scratched would be engineered correctly so as to make the essential element scratch proof.

[quote name='jkanownik']Dude, you're a dick. There are numerous reports of people using the EXACT same instrument that they have used to scratch off other things and this is the only one that it hasn't worked on. In my case I used a key once. I have scratched off tons of lottery tickets and other cards with keys without ever having an incident. You may have a very small point if the product specifically warned against using certain items and had wording that specifically stated what should be used, but given that it doesn't even have a warning, you are 100% a dick.[/quote]

LOL OK dude whatever makes you feel better.

You can't try to decypher any of the letters/numbers? You couldn't have scratched every resemblance of a letter/number off. Write down the letters/numbers you can read on a piece of paper with blank placeholders for the numbers you can't. Then just try each combination.

Yes, that is a terrible solution, but it's a solution and is better than losing 50 dollars.

[quote name='srad1968']Actually not only do you DESERVE to be spoken to this way, you NEED to be spoken to this way. You are going to bring my mother into this? Well listen, I will tell you something about my mother. She taught me to take responsibility for my own actions. Maybe yours should have done the same.

I am not saying that you won't get help, but you are acting like a little bitch about it. You are blaming everyone in the world and accepting no responsibility for doing something completely stupid. You are one of these ignorant consumers that believes that if they throw a big enough fit then they will get their way.

Instead of acting that way you should be humble. You should call Microsoft up and say, "Look, I screwed up, I am a total idiot. I scratched off my card using scissors when I clearly should have used something more suitable. I will gladly mail you the card at my own expense and let you guys look at it. If you can see that the card was never used would you please send me a replacement. I have learned my lesson and I will use a coin or my fingernail next time and gently scratch it off. I throw myself at your mercy and hope that you will be so kind as to help me."

Trust me, that will get you a much better response than threats will. And you know what? If they still don't take care of you then you have to just suck it up and take responsibility for screwing up.

This is a 3 step process.

1) Realize that you screwed up, your fault, no one else's.
2) Realize that no one owes you anything. You bought a product and destroyed it before you could use it. The product wasn't faulty, your handling of the product was faulty.
3) Realize that if you do get help, you owe them an extreme amount of gratitude for fixing what you messed up.[/quote]

Seeing how short tempered you seem to be and how angry you are getting at this guy makes me think your mother didn't hug you enough as a kid.

He never bitched, he just reached out for help from the community, to see what his options were. Based on the title of his post, he seems to realize this will most likely not end well, and that is why he is posting here, to know our suggestions.

Chill out.

bread's done
Back