Searching For A Job - Rant/Rave/Discuss Here

been looking through a bunch of job postings this morning. It amazes me to see a "Manager" position then click on it and look at the pay. It seems that the job titles keep getting more impressive and the pay stays the same or goes down.

such an up and down week. it's been incredible.

had an interview a couple of weeks ok, i didn't think i did as well as i could have, but what're you gonna do?

i got an email last friday telling me the position had been filled so i was pretty down, kicking myself for my mediocre interview. i tried telling myself it wasn't a huge deal because i might not have been right for the job anyway since i had no real experience in the field.

on tuesday i got a call from them asking me if i was interested in the job. i said i was, and it looks like i'll be starting this coming may.

[quote name='Prepster']I am literally in the exact same boat as you are even including having an interview on thursday.[/QUOTE]

did you get the job?

[quote name='Malik112099']Background check, reference check, years of experience, specific work experience, transferable skills, awards and commendations, education, certifications, specific work achievements, etc. Unless they are straight out of the same college and didn't have extra curricular activities there are plenty of ways to distinguish candidates from one another without ever meeting them. If they aren't separating themselves from the rest in one way or another why interview at all?[/QUOTE]

So I have two candidates that I love. Relevant work experience. Same years of experience. Lists the same skills. Both worked for companies that were competitors. (say google and microsoft) (This is hardly a stretch.)

Both graduated from similarly ranked state colleges. Both were presidents of their activity club/group. Both have no background issues. Both have similar type references.

I wonder how I should make the decision and hire one over the other..... OH, how about a motherfucking interview.

You guys act like resumes are all beautiful unique snowflakes. They are not. A lot of resumes basically are the same with slight variations.

If you were a hiring manager and you got two resumes that were nearly identical, how would you decide?

The interview is not irrelevant. It is the final hurdle on getting a job. Does it suck that maybe you don't get a job because the interviewer just didn't jibe with you or maybe you had a bad day or you said one wrong thing? Sure. But that's the hurdle you have to clear. Unless the interview is discriminating based on race or sex, there's nothing wrong with the interview process.

[quote name='confoosious']So I have two candidates that I love. Relevant work experience. Same years of experience. Lists the same skills. Both worked for companies that were competitors. (say google and microsoft) (This is hardly a stretch.)

Both graduated from similarly ranked state colleges. Both were presidents of their activity club/group. Both have no background issues. Both have similar type references.

I wonder how I should make the decision and hire one over the other..... OH, how about a motherfucking interview.

You guys act like resumes are all beautiful unique snowflakes. They are not. A lot of resumes basically are the same with slight variations.

If you were a hiring manager and you got two resumes that were nearly identical, how would you decide?

The interview is not irrelevant. It is the final hurdle on getting a job. Does it suck that maybe you don't get a job because the interviewer just didn't jibe with you or maybe you had a bad day or you said one wrong thing? Sure. But that's the hurdle you have to clear. Unless the interview is discriminating based on race or sex, there's nothing wrong with the interview process.[/QUOTE]

Yes, that is when an interview would differentiate the candidates. Chill, we are just saying that you need all of that great stuff before you even get to the interview. I think all that other stuff is the sentence. If the sentence is constructed well enough you get to put the punctuation at the end which is the interview. The interviewer determines the punctuation mark. Period? Exclamation? Question mark?

What do you do if both interviews go fantastic? I find it hard to believe you could have 2 people that closely matched where one doesn't have an edge over the other. If they are both that great then hire both.

[quote name='Malik112099']Yes, that is when an interview would differentiate the candidates. Chill, we are just saying that you need all of that great stuff before you even get to the interview. I think all that other stuff is the sentence. If the sentence is constructed well enough you get to put the punctuation at the end which is the interview. The interviewer determines the punctuation mark. Period? Exclamation? Question mark?

What do you do if both interviews go fantastic? I find it hard to believe you could have 2 people that closely matched where one doesn't have an edge over the other. If they are both that great then hire both.[/QUOTE]

Spokker seams to think that the interview is unnecessary, which is just not true. But he hasn't told us how to replace it yet.

If both interviews are fantastic, you just nut up and make a decision. Can't hire both.

[quote name='dohdough']Thanks dudes. It's an administrative position so I'm basically payroll, HR, IT, and misc. Best part is that there's a Popeye's across the street!

Charlie-Sheen-Winning-Poster.jpg
[/QUOTE]

fucking awesome! I'm in admin at a non-profit doing accounting though I also help with payroll and HR.

[quote name='dohdough']Double score because there's a Crown Fried Chicken a block away in another direction.:cool:[/QUOTE]

The images google showed looked pretty good, doesn't look like double Fried KFC. You guys like Pollo Campero?

[quote name='confoosious']So I have two candidates that I love. Relevant work experience. Same years of experience. Lists the same skills. Both worked for companies that were competitors. (say google and microsoft) (This is hardly a stretch.)[/QUOTE]

Have a pole and let CAG decide for you!

[quote name='Dead of Knight']fucking awesome! I'm in admin at a non-profit doing accounting though I also help with payroll and HR.[/QUOTE]
Sweet! I'm pretty excited and the hours are better than my last job. 9-5 instead of 8:30-5:30 with plenty of parking. Only problem is that the commute is going to be about an hour each way. Well worth it for the Popeye's though.:lol:

[quote name='skiizim']The images google showed looked pretty good, doesn't look like double Fried KFC. You guys like Pollo Campero?[/QUOTE]
Hell fucking YES! That shit is GOOD!:drool:

[quote name='confoosious']I'm still waiting for an answer for what to use to judge similar candidates other than an interview because they are sooooooo stupid.[/QUOTE]

I'm not saying don't interview them, but also don't get into obviously silly criteria because the decision is so hard. At some point we are going to have to admit that we don't how everything is going to work out.

Once you hire someone, you'll see what they are really like in a few weeks or months, and how they truly are is usually just fine. So why not be ourselves all the time?

[quote name='confoosious']It's like you aren't even listening.

@Duo Maxwell - how the hell are you going to have someone shadow someone else to see if they can plan a budget or create presentation materials or the thousands of other jobs that you can't just demonstrate you can do in 30 mins. Plus, what you're proposing, outside of fry cook type jobs, is basically... an interview.[/QUOTE]

I think you missed the point or perhaps I wasn't clear as to what I meant, but the goal is essentially the same as any job interview process should be. It's to see if that person will fit the position you're hiring for & your company. I simply do not like the current robotic ordeal that is often used in as the main job interview process (especially large corporations, etc.). You're not having them shadow somebody or yourself to see if they can get the details of the job down pat in 30 mins, you do it so you can see the person's actual interest in that field of work. More importantly it's not to see if they have just experience or interest in crunching numbers, do can they do it for your company in the way you want it done? And it doesn't necessarily have to shadowing someone, the real points is to assess their ACTUAL interest & ACTUAL skills. Don't simply tell me what you can do, show me. If that happens to be creating a presentation, then you make them do it. Have a meet & greet interview, give them the necessary info then say in the 2nd interview I want to see you present that to me.

Maybe we just have different ways of doing the same thing basically, everyone has different managerial styles anyhow. My opinion is just that I don't like the idea of the candidate being robotic and following this whole idea of them talking through their teeth & putting up a facade with no real substance behind it. If all you do is ask questions and that is all you'll come away with I believe. I'm not saying never interview people, you need to talk to the candidate but I think you also need to know their real interest/skills. Yet all too often in my opinion you are never really tested or even vetted until you're actually hired anymore using the typical job interview questions or process. Every large company anymore has a probationary period right when hiring a person so they can simply fire them if they don't fit. But my issue with that is while you're doing that perhaps the candidate that fit the best found work someplace else and after 90 days or whatever you still don't have your position filled and your staff in place. This is the ultimate folly and why some companies still claim to be under staffed in my view.

My all-time most-hated question that comes up a lot that I will never ask anyone is "what's your biggest weakness" (or a variation of that). It's a lose-lose question for both parties IMO, because either the candidate will evade the question, lie, or be too honest (and as much I like honesty if a candidate says something like they don't work well in a team I'm obviously not putting that in the plus column). Anyway it goes down I've not come away with much to help me decide on someone. But as I said, different styles, perhaps some like it because it shows them something else in a candidate.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Duo_Maxwell']I think you missed the point or perhaps I wasn't clear as to what I meant, but the goal is essentially the same as any job interview process should be. It's to see if that person will fit the position you're hiring for & your company. I simply do not like the current robotic ordeal that is often used in as the main job interview process (especially large corporations, etc.). You're not having them shadow somebody or yourself to see if they can get the details of the job down pat in 30 mins, you do it so you can see the person's actual interest in that field of work. More importantly it's not to see if they have just experience or interest in crunching numbers, do can they do it for your company in the way you want it done? And it doesn't necessarily have to shadowing someone, the real points is to assess their ACTUAL interest & ACTUAL skills. Don't simply tell me what you can do, show me. If that happens to be creating a presentation, then you make them do it. Have a meet & greet interview, give them the necessary info then say in the 2nd interview I want to see you present that to me. [/QUOTE]

You're never going to get a candidate to do that in certain industries. Dare I say, most professional jobs. You want me to do work for you without actually having the job? F no.

[quote name='confoosious']You're never going to get a candidate to do that in certain industries. Dare I say, most professional jobs. You want me to do work for you without actually having the job? F no.[/QUOTE]

Internships. You work for free. It's like an extended audition.

[quote name='Spokker']Internships. You work for free. It's like an extended audition.[/QUOTE]

Uhhh yeah but how does that solve the problem of hiring actual people with experience.

[quote name='confoosious']Uhhh yeah but how does that solve the problem of hiring actual people with experience.[/QUOTE]

Are you asking for help or just wondering what peoples opinions are? It would also help if you gave us some more information regarding what field this in and job they are applying for (can't remember if you said or not).

[quote name='skiizim']Are you asking for help or just wondering what peoples opinions are? It would also help if you gave us some more information regarding what field this in and job they are applying for (can't remember if you said or not).[/QUOTE]

No no. I'm just discussing the whole "interviews are useless" theory that's been floating around here.

I'm saying there's no better way to hire than the interview process. No solution I've heard yet is a viable alternative to interviewing.

[quote name='confoosious']No no. I'm just discussing the whole "interviews are useless" theory that's been floating around here.

I'm saying there's no better way to hire than the interview process. No solution I've heard yet is a viable alternative to interviewing.[/QUOTE]

To get a feel for someone and see there personally it certainly is but to see who is more qualifying is a whole other story.

[quote name='skiizim']To get a feel for someone and see there personally it certainly is but to see who is more qualifying is a whole other story.[/QUOTE]

But there's no other way to do it. You can't sit someone down and say "do this task" to judge them. I realize the legends of google asking engineers to write code on a whiteboard but for the most part, professional jobs just don't work that way.

[quote name='confoosious']No no. I'm just discussing the whole "interviews are useless" theory that's been floating around here.

I'm saying there's no better way to hire than the interview process. No solution I've heard yet is a viable alternative to interviewing.[/QUOTE]

I think interviews can give you a sense of someone's professionalism and personal interactions as well as a sense of how they can perform under a bit of pressure. I certainly think interviews aren't the best way to test how someone will perform in a job but under a short time period they are just about the only way to get a "feel" for someone.

I think some interviews are more useless than others. In particular, I never saw a use in what is referred to as "behavior based interviews" in which they ask you narrow questions using specific examples of your past work. Examples include questions like "tell me about a time when you demonstrated courage" or "Tell me about a time when you challenged your supervisor about a decision" For one, you've already got my resume, if you want to discuss a specific work experience then ask me a direct question about it. Secondly, having to remember a specific instance of these narrow categories under a short time period is incredibly difficult. I think it's much better to discuss past work experiences in a practical and constructive way rather than these narrow categories of questions.

I also think using interviews for internal promotions is largely useless, yet there are many companies who base their decision on internal promotions entirely on an interview rather than the (potentially) years of experience with the company. If you should be interviewing anyone when it comes to internal promotions it should be someone's coworkers and their supervisor(s).

After searching for a year and a half, I finally got an inventory job at Target. It's part time, but I'm sure they'll give me more hours the longer I work there.

So keep at it, something will pop.

[quote name='RedvsBlue']I think interviews can give you a sense of someone's professionalism and personal interactions as well as a sense of how they can perform under a bit of pressure. I certainly think interviews aren't the best way to test how someone will perform in a job but under a short time period they are just about the only way to get a "feel" for someone.

I think some interviews are more useless than others. In particular, I never saw a use in what is referred to as "behavior based interviews" in which they ask you narrow questions using specific examples of your past work. Examples include questions like "tell me about a time when you demonstrated courage" or "Tell me about a time when you challenged your supervisor about a decision" For one, you've already got my resume, if you want to discuss a specific work experience then ask me a direct question about it. Secondly, having to remember a specific instance of these narrow categories under a short time period is incredibly difficult. I think it's much better to discuss past work experiences in a practical and constructive way rather than these narrow categories of questions.

I also think using interviews for internal promotions is largely useless, yet there are many companies who base their decision on internal promotions entirely on an interview rather than the (potentially) years of experience with the company. If you should be interviewing anyone when it comes to internal promotions it should be someone's coworkers and their supervisor(s).[/QUOTE]

I will agree with you on internal interviews but I strong disagree on the "behavioral" questions being useless.

I think the question of how you performed under certain conditions is a good one, if for nothing else than the fact that you know it's coming and you've prepared for it. Coming up with specific instances in a short time period is extremely difficult, which is why you have to prepare for it. And other possibilities. And if you haven't prepared for it, it shows how well you think on your feet.

I do have your resume but I want to see how you respond to an open ended question like "what was your worst experience." or "how did you handle a situation where you disagreed with your boss." I mean, what part of your resume is going to include that?

Just had my first interview ever (for an internship position) I should have researched the department more because I don't think I answered one of their questions well but other than that I'm feeling pretty good about it! :) *fingers crossed* I find out sometime this weekend

Just had my 2nd interview with this company and things look pretty good. Pay is great and I just need to wait for a phone call on Friday. So now I get to freak out all week on if I got the job or not.

Had an interview last week during a snow storm. On the way there a plow working on someone's drive way decides to just fly out into the middle of the street (backing in and out to plow the driveway) without looking and I smash into him.

Car is a mess and undriveable and had to have a flatbed take it away. Outside in the snow and sleet for over an hour dealing with that in my suit. My brother-in-law comes and picks me up and takes me the rest of the way (which I am late over an hour to the interview, but they were okay with it when I called them and told them).

Interview itself went well (even thought my feet were soaking wet in my dress shoes and I looked a little disheveled in general). They want me to come back for the second interview, so I am in the process of setting that up. I gave them four days I was available and all four days don't work for them. Hah. So I pretty much just gave them my entire work schedule of what I was on and off. (I work a rotating shift as an engineer)

The next interview will be my time to really ask them questions about what the position entails, responsibilities, hours, who I would be working with, available training, etc. etc. etc.

[quote name='confoosious']But there's no other way to do it. You can't sit someone down and say "do this task" to judge them. I realize the legends of google asking engineers to write code on a whiteboard but for the most part, professional jobs just don't work that way.[/QUOTE]

That's not just google that jazzes up their interviews like that. It happens for a lot of programming jobs. I've had a stable job for awhile now, but when I was interviewing for programming positions right out of college...

Most places I applied to required code samples. Think of them as a code portfolio...something you're expected to explain to the interviewer to show you actually know what you're doing.

One place gave me a formal programming test. I was put in a room, and given an on-paper test, filled with rather basic programming 101 type questions...

Another had a more informal take home test, that was a mixture of logic/thinking questions, syntax questions, and programming questions. Sample question here: If you're in a boat on a lake, and you drop a rock into the lake, what happens to the water level of the lake?

The worst was a company that sent me a program, and gave me eight hours to program something into it. The code was designed to be bad...poorly documented, didn't function as a person would expect it to, didn't compile right off the bat...and if you didn't get it back to them in the eight hours, you automatically lost the job.

So my dad is looking for a new job. He hasn't quit his current one, but he's at the end of his rope. He applied for a job in Salem, NH. They wanted him to go to fucking Texas to take an algebra test before they would interview him! My dad has been in his industry for over 35 years and is a fairly high level exec! He told them to go fuck themselves. I really doubt they're going to find anyone for the position, but maybe that's what the company wants if they're trying to make it that convoluted.

[quote name='Malik112099']Good luck to all of you![/QUOTE]

Thanks! :) I just got called to interview for another internship position tomorrow morning (3 hour drive though and it's at 9:30am) But I think I'll interview better this time because last time was my first attempt. I'm looking forward to it!! :bouncy:

[quote name='confoosious']I will agree with you on internal interviews but I strong disagree on the "behavioral" questions being useless.

I think the question of how you performed under certain conditions is a good one, if for nothing else than the fact that you know it's coming and you've prepared for it. Coming up with specific instances in a short time period is extremely difficult, which is why you have to prepare for it. And other possibilities. And if you haven't prepared for it, it shows how well you think on your feet.

I do have your resume but I want to see how you respond to an open ended question like "what was your worst experience." or "how did you handle a situation where you disagreed with your boss." I mean, what part of your resume is going to include that?[/QUOTE]

I used poor examples in my criticism because I do see some merit in knowing what someone has done when they've disagreed with their supervisor. On the other hand though, a question like "Tell me about a time when you demonstrated courage" is useless. While the category of the experience is narrow, the scope of the question is just too broad.

I think I can agree with you that some behavior based questions in an interview are useful, I still maintain that an entire interview based on these types of questions is useless because you're not really getting to know someone. All you're doing is getting to know their stories.

As an abstract comparison think about it like this; what are the best first dates? The ones in which you both sit and talk about everything that went right/wrong in your past relationships or the ones in which you really talk about yourselves.

[quote name='Malik112099']Just got a call. Going in for interview #2 tomorrow with the place I interviewed with a little over a week ago.[/QUOTE]

That's great! Keep us posted

[quote name='confoosious']But there's no other way to do it. You can't sit someone down and say "do this task" to judge them. I realize the legends of google asking engineers to write code on a whiteboard but for the most part, professional jobs just don't work that way.[/QUOTE]

Surely you don't think those are 'legends'? And it's not just google; giving programming interview problems/questions and offering the candidates the opportunity to work it out/write it in code on a whiteboard has been pretty standard in the tech industry for decades, at least at any reputable company. Gives the interviewer(s) the opportunity to see if the candidate can demonstrate problem solving, creative thinking, and whether they actually have any sort of technical ability.

Google, Microsoft, Apple, Amazon, they all do various forms of it for any programmer/software engineer new hires (and even for insiders), with multiple rounds of interviews.

My favorite is to have various interviewers ask candidates the boggle question, even though it's an oldie now. That's at the actual in person interview, once they've passed a couple of rounds of phone interviews (after screening their resumes). We offer the candidate the opportunity to work out the problem(s) on the whiteboard.

Lots of other great questions we use, like Monopoly and others. With even a bit of skill and intelligence, these should be easy for qualified candidates to demonstrate a solution to (or at the very least, a decent attempt at a solution), even easier if they properly plan ahead and research. And yet, there are still deer in the headlight train wrecks.

BTW I agree with you on just about everything thus far in the thread, confoosius. You and some others have provided some excellent advice for those out there. Interviews are simply a critical tool in a company's arsenal for helping to determine the best possible candidate - consider them one of the most critical filters a company employs, and as confoosius said, properly handling onesself in an interview is a critical skill for a job seeker to acquire/employ. Good luck to all!

Last edited by a moderator:
Not to crush spirits...

Before finding full time employment I applied for 100+ jobs (I started keeping it as a Excel doc)

Now these 100+ were jobs where I was either on par or myself being slightly over qualified for (to make myself the top of the want list)

Of 100+ jobs..........

...........5 called

[quote name='Tony Stark']Not to crush spirits...

Before finding full time employment I applied for 100+ jobs (I started keeping it as a Excel doc)

Now these 100+ were jobs where I was either on par or myself being slightly over qualified for (to make myself the top of the want list)

Of 100+ jobs..........

...........5 called[/QUOTE]

Why does Tony Stark need a job?

Of 100+ jobs..........

I just recently lost my job and I'm finding this out the hard way. I spend 10 plus minutes filling out just one online application for what seems like no reason. Its exhausting and depressing but I'm trying to maintain a positive attitude. Ive only been unemployed for 4 days and its already getting difficult. Not one call back despite what seems like probable leads.

It really is about who you know. Tomorrow I'm not filling out one online application but calling friends and family to see if anyone can lend me a hand. Getting recommended for a position is a huge short cut and what I'm thinking I need.

I was also fired in an unusual way so a possible lawsuit could be in order. I feel like I shouldn't do this, but at the same time if I have a case shouldn't I? Just thinking out loud at this point, thanks for listening (reading!) and good luck to all my fellow unemployed.

[quote name='karkyco']Surely you don't think those are 'legends'? And it's not just google; giving programming interview problems/questions and offering the candidates the opportunity to work it out/write it in code on a whiteboard has been pretty standard in the tech industry for decades, at least at any reputable company. Gives the interviewer(s) the opportunity to see if the candidate can demonstrate problem solving, creative thinking, and whether they actually have any sort of technical ability.

Google, Microsoft, Apple, Amazon, they all do various forms of it for any programmer/software engineer new hires (and even for insiders), with multiple rounds of interviews.

My favorite is to have various interviewers ask candidates the boggle question, even though it's an oldie now. That's at the actual in person interview, once they've passed a couple of rounds of phone interviews (after screening their resumes). We offer the candidate the opportunity to work out the problem(s) on the whiteboard.

Lots of other great questions we use, like Monopoly and others. With even a bit of skill and intelligence, these should be easy for qualified candidates to demonstrate a solution to (or at the very least, a decent attempt at a solution), even easier if they properly plan ahead and research. And yet, there are still deer in the headlight train wrecks.

BTW I agree with you on just about everything thus far in the thread, confoosius. You and some others have provided some excellent advice for those out there. Interviews are simply a critical tool in a company's arsenal for helping to determine the best possible candidate - consider them one of the most critical filters a company employs, and as confoosius said, properly handling onesself in an interview is a critical skill for a job seeker to acquire/employ. Good luck to all![/QUOTE]
And this is just one reason I didn't want to do programming...

[quote name='Abear21']I just recently lost my job and I'm finding this out the hard way. I spend 10 plus minutes filling out just one online application for what seems like no reason. Its exhausting and depressing but I'm trying to maintain a positive attitude. Ive only been unemployed for 4 days and its already getting difficult. Not one call back despite what seems like probable leads.

It really is about who you know. Tomorrow I'm not filling out one online application but calling friends and family to see if anyone can lend me a hand. Getting recommended for a position is a huge short cut and what I'm thinking I need.

I was also fired in an unusual way so a possible lawsuit could be in order. I feel like I shouldn't do this, but at the same time if I have a case shouldn't I? Just thinking out loud at this point, thanks for listening (reading!) and good luck to all my fellow unemployed.[/QUOTE]

Tomorrow will be my 26th day unemployed. It sucks. Not gonna lie. This 2nd interview is only because of my friend who works at the place. I've only received calls from recruiters thus far but at least it's something. Good luck to you. If you can persue the wrongful termination you should. That way you have proof for a possible employer that your termination was wrong.

[quote name='perdition(troy']The way you talk in this thread I kind of assumed you had been unemployed for months.[/QUOTE]

Haha...after a couple of months, you'd think a single guy with no family or mortgage would've gotten used to it by now. I know that's my pattern after getting laid off.:lol:

Of 100+ jobs..........

I graduate in a year...this is disappointing to hear. :whistle2:(
I'm hoping being a double major pays off... (Criminal Justice and Sociology)

[quote name='RedvsBlue']I used poor examples in my criticism because I do see some merit in knowing what someone has done when they've disagreed with their supervisor. On the other hand though, a question like "Tell me about a time when you demonstrated courage" is useless. While the category of the experience is narrow, the scope of the question is just too broad.

I think I can agree with you that some behavior based questions in an interview are useful, I still maintain that an entire interview based on these types of questions is useless because you're not really getting to know someone. All you're doing is getting to know their stories.

As an abstract comparison think about it like this; what are the best first dates? The ones in which you both sit and talk about everything that went right/wrong in your past relationships or the ones in which you really talk about yourselves.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I mean, there are shitty dumb interview questions that are irrelevant but as a whole, I think behavioral questions can help you find out a lot about someone so I'm ok with it. I expect it, I prepare for it, and I see value in it.

Here's the way I see interviews if you're gonna use the dating analogy.

technical ability = attractive enough for you? (before I get accused of being a shallow pig, I'll say that it's attractiveness inside and out!)
behavioral questions = are they psycho?
cultural fit = how much do you have in common? is this worth a second date?

If you get through the first two hurdles, then you really seal the deal with the free form 'getting to know you' type questions.

[quote name='karkyco']Surely you don't think those are 'legends'? And it's not just google; giving programming interview problems/questions and offering the candidates the opportunity to work it out/write it in code on a whiteboard has been pretty standard in the tech industry for decades, at least at any reputable company. Gives the interviewer(s) the opportunity to see if the candidate can demonstrate problem solving, creative thinking, and whether they actually have any sort of technical ability. [/QUOTE]

The use of the word "Legend" doesn't mean I think they're not true. "Myth" would imply not true.

[quote name='highoffcoffee496']I graduate in a year...this is disappointing to hear. :whistle2:(
I'm hoping being a double major pays off... (Criminal Justice and Sociology)[/QUOTE]

In my opinion, double majors are a waste and maybe that is me just being spiteful since I haven't gotten anything with my two degrees, but I really do hope you can find something when you graduate and I wish you luck!

[quote name='Prepster']In my opinion, double majors are a waste and maybe that is me just being spiteful since I haven't gotten anything with my two degrees, but I really do hope you can find something when you graduate and I wish you luck![/QUOTE]

Thanks for the honest opinion! I chose to double major because I had the time with how I managed signing up for classes and I am (hoping) I will be able to stand out more from other resumes.

bread's done
Back