Sega has Cut Yakuza 3 content, Listings of entire Cuts now available.

[quote name='phantasyx']2/25/2010 Update!

http://blogs.sega.com/usa/2010/02/24...with-yakuza-3/

Sega has confirmed that our voices are being heard! While they still haven't decided to add the removed content, they are feeling the full effect of our pressure and we must not let off them until they give us what we want!. So far they have now pre-packed some DLC codes (I believe the same from gamestop but am not sure) with in the copies that will be available but I am sure they will fold and add the content. Keep up the Great work responding to them!

Someone also Made a Excellent point of how the Currency in the game is Crippled because your suppose to waste your money on the hostesses and the club management that is being removed, yes apparently you could have managed a entire hostess club. FML[/QUOTE]

That article is from days ago, it's not a confirmation that they know people are upset.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lGkQTUQq3vQ

LOL this guy is hardcore emotional over it. I guess mainly because he put so much effort towards begging sega to bring it over... but he's goin a bit overboard. especially claiming that half the game is gone.........

The most amusing thing in all of this is how sega's been handling it, which is to say not very well. Not that hard for them to promise DLC down the line if a launch date can't be pushed back.

[quote name='Zoglog']That article is from days ago, it's not a confirmation that they know people are upset.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lGkQTUQq3vQ

LOL this guy is hardcore emotional over it. I guess mainly because he put so much effort towards begging sega to bring it over... but he's goin a bit overboard. especially claiming that half the game is gone.........

The most amusing thing in all of this is how sega's been handling it, which is to say not very well. Not that hard for them to promise DLC down the line if a launch date can't be pushed back.[/QUOTE]
LMFAO yeah I've seen that one, thats the same guy that did that hitler video. He is soo tripping over this, good stuff.

Where were all you people who are "so pissed youre now canceling your day one pre-orders" for Yakuza 1 and Yakuza 2?

Maybe if you all had picked those up when they were day one, Sega would have spent more time bringing Yakuza 3 over and not cut content. Yakuza 1 and 2 both had hostesses, perhaps they just took the poor sales as a lack of interest in those features.

[quote name='SEH']What a dork.[/QUOTE]

not the mention he can't even pronounce Kotaku properly for such a crazy Japanophile

[quote name='TctclMvPhase']Where were all you people who are "so pissed youre now canceling your day one pre-orders" for Yakuza 1 and Yakuza 2?

Maybe if you all had picked those up when they were day one, Sega would have spent more time bringing Yakuza 3 over and not cut content. Yakuza 1 and 2 both had hostesses, perhaps they just took the poor sales as a lack of interest in those features.[/QUOTE]

My hunch is that it is this group of CAGs who actually bought Yakuza 1 & 2, and thus feel disappointed that such material is cut as they were the original Yakuza "evangelists."

I'm one such member (for Yakuza 2 anyways), but I believe that life is already full of issues, problems, and angst. I don't feel like adding a video game to my list.

It's a hobby, people! Not a matter of life or death!!!

[quote name='TctclMvPhase']Where were all you people who are "so pissed youre now canceling your day one pre-orders" for Yakuza 1 and Yakuza 2?[/QUOTE]
I'll be honest and admit Yakuza 3 would have been my first game in the series(I had no Job when the first 2 came out). But I decided to cancel my pre-order after seeing how poorly SEGA handled the whole thing.

[quote name='Ecofreak']My hunch is that it is this group of CAGs who actually bought Yakuza 1 & 2, and thus feel disappointed that such material is cut as they were the original Yakuza "evangelists."

I'm one such member (for Yakuza 2 anyways), but I believe that life is already full of issues, problems, and angst. I don't feel like adding a video game to my list.

It's a hobby, people! Not a matter of life or death!!![/QUOTE]
Its a work of art, no one wants this cut or censored.

Yakuza 1 came almosted out of the blue, no marketing or anything a diamond in the ruff. Those who picked it up got a game with no Japanese language option and a dub with Excellent actors but seriously a horrible script. The F bomb in every sentence, I've never see anyone get A list voice actors for a script that went to hell.

Yakuza 2 came during the death of the ps2 to the ps3. I own it yet still haven't gotten to it honestly and would have liked a dub option to switch between but thats apples and oranges. Great game, better then the original but not that may people heard of it and again xbox 360 and ps3 games clouded the market to another great game.

Here comes Yakuza 3, its on everyones radar now, even for people who haven't played any of them. It gathers interest for ps3 game hungery players all around waiting to play something new. Sega single handedly punches its self in the face by saying that they would never release this game to the US. Why? because they want to play the blame game and blame the consumers for not eating the past two up like the next GTA. Definately not the consumers fault at all! There was literally no marketing or buzz created from any of the titles, however new strong support gathers around yakuza 3 more so they see it as a solid investment instead reaching to the fans.

Come a year later then of course I won't repeat myself as you all know what happens. Sega decides too make money the fastest way it can by releasing something of a disaster and trying not to clean it up afterwards, but we got lucking and found out they were trying to cut content. I'm starting to here its more like 75% now.

[quote name='TctclMvPhase']Where were all you people who are "so pissed youre now canceling your day one pre-orders" for Yakuza 1 and Yakuza 2?

Maybe if you all had picked those up when they were day one, Sega would have spent more time bringing Yakuza 3 over and not cut content. Yakuza 1 and 2 both had hostesses, perhaps they just took the poor sales as a lack of interest in those features.[/QUOTE]
I preordered both Yakuza 1 and 2, and picked up both day 1. I canceled my fully paid off preorder as soon as I heard this news. fuck Sega.

Some blog is claiming that 75% of pre-orders have been canceled. But that should be taken with a grain of salt since I have no idea how that number was reached.

I've seen many people claiming to, I haven't cancelled mine yet. PAL regions are getting all regular editions upgraded to Collectors with a CD and bonus making of video? I wonder what Sega's next response will be.

[quote name='Rei no Otaku']I preordered both Yakuza 1 and 2, and picked up both day 1. I canceled my fully paid off preorder as soon as I heard this news. fuck Sega.[/QUOTE]

It just seems like such an overreaction. Especially from those who preordered the previous two. I also picked up the first two games on day one and I cant imagine anyone getting so into the hostess clubs that theyll forego the excellent story, characters and wealth of other content simply because they were cut.

To the same degree it bothers me that people who are new to the series are writing off this release now, simply because some content, which the majority of players would likely spend little time on, is being cut. I imagine the true Japanophiles would have already been into the series and thus all these people who are just getting into this release are the types that would spend five minutes in the hostess bars trying to see some virtual boobs and then get on with the game.

It seems the phrase "cutting off your nose to spite your face" is quite apt for this situation.

[quote name='TctclMvPhase']
....and thus all these people who are just getting into this release are the types that would spend five minutes in the hostess bars trying to see some virtual boobs and then get on with the game.[/QUOTE]

Tbh, I thought that was the sole reason for this whole hilarious fiasco. Well stated. :applause:

[quote name='TctclMvPhase']To the same degree it bothers me that people who are new to the series are writing off this release now, simply because some content, which the majority of players would likely spend little time on, is being cut.[/QUOTE]
That is a perfectly fine reason for someone to cancel a pre-order. It's not up to SEGA to decided how someone might spend their time in a game.

I'm still buying the game on release. I don't understand Japanese and importing is TOO expensive. I just hope we still get Yakuza 4, or I'm going to be really pissed at the people who boycotted the game so we'd never see it come stateside (due to the preorder DLC, content cut, etc.).

[quote name='Chibi_Kaji']That is a perfectly fine reason for someone to cancel a pre-order. It's not up to SEGA to decided how someone might spend their time in a game.[/QUOTE]
True, this isn't just about the Hostess clubs and a handful of female gamers are upset as well (to all those thinking this is about perverts).

Bad and insulting PR, loss of 5 trophies worth of content, loss of several mini-games, and not to mention the release date. All people really needed was 1 good reason not to use there money on FF13, GOW3, RE5 gold edition, Splinter Cell, Lost Planet 2, Monster Hunter Tri, Bad Company 2, Renaissance of Fate, ECT ECT ECT. Sega could have asked fans to translate it, hell Fans could have did the Box art more justice. They will have to bite bullet and fix everything or suffer from people "boycotting" their brand. (Don't get me started on the new sonic 4 boycotts, they are hilarious)

[quote name='Rei no Otaku']I preordered both Yakuza 1 and 2, and picked up both day 1. I canceled my fully paid off preorder as soon as I heard this news. fuck Sega.[/QUOTE]Say goodbye to ever playing Yakuza 4 if many do the same thing as you. I want Yakuza 4 so I will buy. I doubt Sega will ever let another publisher touch Yakuza.

[quote name='The Mana Knight']Say goodbye to ever playing Yakuza 4 if many do the same thing as you. I want Yakuza 4 so I will buy. I doubt Sega will ever let another publisher touch Yakuza.[/QUOTE]
That is the dumbest logic I have ever heard, NO one said or confirmed Yakuza 4 would be coming here. We all know that game is now too Japanese for Americans. You don't even know anything about that game! The Sega Rep Only breifly stated that possibly based on the performance that it MAY come stateside (Greed). Do I have to remind you of how hard it was just to get Yakuza 3 over here more then a year later? Yakuza 3 would have sold at best 60 to 70 thousand copies even before this whole ordeal which is hardly enough. They said it as if it were to sell like a grand theft auto title. Why don't you buy 2 copies maybe then you'll get yakuza 4 in only what 2 years?

lets worry about the game thats coming in 2 Weeks, not 2 Years. Sega can't handle the pressure, they'll bring that one over as well.

[quote name='Chibi_Kaji']That is a perfectly fine reason for someone to cancel a pre-order. It's not up to SEGA to decided how someone might spend their time in a game.[/QUOTE]

If we are truly considering this art, then it actually is up to Sega.

If they think their vision will be misunderstood, then they are well within their means to change it. I mean people complain about the lack of a dub, but ask any foreign film buff and they can tell you even a good dub or sub can distort artistic vision.

It also bothers me that this is being called censorship. Censorship is a government action as true censorship requires the underlying threat of force. This is Sega's product, they can do with it as they please.

Just look at film, cuts are made so the product can appeal to a wider audience. Sometimes, the cuts make the film better (Alien, Donnie Darkko) other times they make the film worse (Dark City), but its up to the Producer and Director to decide which vision they want to present to each audience.

[quote name='The Mana Knight']Say goodbye to ever playing Yakuza 4 if many do the same thing as you. I want Yakuza 4 so I will buy. I doubt Sega will ever let another publisher touch Yakuza.[/QUOTE]

This is retarded. So you'll give your money to SEGA, which is basically tell them "yeah, it's okay if you cut content and give me a partial game"...and you expect them to then turn around and give you a complete Yakuza 4? It's this type of blind fanboyism that get's these series in trouble to begin with.

EDIT: The best thing SEGA can do now, to save face and this game, is to announce that the cut content will be released via DLC shortly after the games' release. Whether it's free or they charge $, who knows but that's really the only way to appease the fans at this point. Preferably, I'd like to see them delay the game until April-June and add the content in...

[quote name='TctclMvPhase']If we are truly considering this art, then it actually is up to Sega.

If they think their vision will be misunderstood, then they are well within their means to change it. I mean people complain about the lack of a dub, but ask any foreign film buff and they can tell you even a good dub or sub can distort artistic vision.

It also bothers me that this is being called censorship. Censorship is a government action as true censorship requires the underlying threat of force. This is Sega's product, they can do with it as they please.

Just look at film, cuts are made so the product can appeal to a wider audience. Sometimes, the cuts make the film better (Alien, Donnie Darkko) other times they make the film worse (Dark City), but its up to the Producer and Director to decide which vision they want to present to each audience.[/QUOTE]While more extreme then yakuza 3 this is like when anime gets Dubbed or even subbed nowadays and they are 100% different then what they are actually saying. Yes nobody will get the references to dango or fermented soybean jokes or how Baka can mean stupid or idiot or dumba$$ while its only one word used over. However they shouldn't takeover as creative control, the guy who made this idk his name did not make this decision for cutting this for the US/PAL Regions, Sega of America most likely did.

[quote name='SynGamer']This is retarded. So you'll give your money to SEGA, which is basically tell them "yeah, it's okay if you cut content and give me a partial game"...and you expect them to then turn around and give you a complete Yakuza 4? It's this type of blind fanboyism that get's these series in trouble to begin with.

EDIT: The best thing SEGA can do now, to save face and this game, is to announce that the cut content will be released via DLC shortly after the games' release. Whether it's free or they charge $, who knows but that's really the only way to appease the fans at this point. Preferably, I'd like to see them delay the game until April-June and add the content in...[/QUOTE]They will lose even more face if they charge for product that was in the game already, at this point they need to think about getting back on track and announce 4 for the States. This entire company isn't doing anything to help its image, even the new sonic is getting dissed for not going completely retro. idk anymore.

[quote name='phantasyx']They will lose even more face if they charge for product that was in the game already, at this point they need to think about getting back on track and announce 4 for the States. This entire company isn't doing anything to help its image, even the new sonic is getting dissed for not going completely retro. idk anymore.[/QUOTE]

I'm still trying to wrap my head around the idea that SEGA decided to bring Yakuza 3 out in March, quite possibly the biggest release month of the year (aside from when GT5 comes out)...honestly, at this point just halt the launch. Bring the complete game over, offer a special edition (with a steelbook please :D) and give the fans what they want. Seriously, aside from the very hardcore Japanese fans, this game is going to get buried by GoW III and FFXIII.

I think people aren't understanding why Sega ended up cutting the content (All the stupid claims of "censorship"). They're not doing it only because of the claimed "non resonance" with American gamers... It's because of a lack of time/resources allocated to the game. Sega probably already set a budget on this title long ago and delaying it would require some higher up approval, so instead they decided to cut the less essential parts of the game.

This more of a problem w/ upper management rather than the actual people working on the localization. Trying to launch in the middle of god of war III and final fantasy XIII is due to some misguided notion that you're going to ride on the wave of excitement (Area 51 tried the same thing w/ halo 3 and failed miserably). Doesn't work that way....

I'm still happy their bringing the title over at all, just not buying it until it's cheaper because supporting half-assed ports is never a good thing.

Your order has been successfully canceled. For your reference, here’s a summary of your order:

You just canceled order #xxx-xxxxxxx-xxxxxxx placed on January 11, 2010.

1 of Yakuza 3

Sold by: Amazon.com, LLC

As has been mentioned, I'm not buying a censored game because its sequel MIGHT come over here. Sorry, it's not my job to support Sega even if they decide to piss all over their fans. On top of that what if they decide to cut content again for Yakuza 4 because people still bought a censored 3?

[quote name='SynGamer']This is retarded. So you'll give your money to SEGA, which is basically tell them "yeah, it's okay if you cut content and give me a partial game"[/QUOTE]

You say that like the parts being cut were a huge part of the game to begin with. They're not.

[quote name='whoknows']You say that like the parts being cut were a huge part of the game to begin with. They're not.[/QUOTE]

If you're a fan of Japanese culture, then they were huge parts.

I am, but they were nothing more than distractions. Don't get me wrong, I'm disappointed it's no longer in the game, but damn, saying people are over-reacting is an understatement.

Ok, so this issue is getting pretty nuts, but I'm just curious, what would you have cut if you were trying to get this game to the US on the least amount of time and money?

[quote name='phantasyx']That is the dumbest logic I have ever heard, NO one said or confirmed Yakuza 4 would be coming here. We all know that game is now too Japanese for Americans. You don't even know anything about that game! The Sega Rep Only breifly stated that possibly based on the performance that it MAY come stateside (Greed). Do I have to remind you of how hard it was just to get Yakuza 3 over here more then a year later? Yakuza 3 would have sold at best 60 to 70 thousand copies even before this whole ordeal which is hardly enough. They said it as if it were to sell like a grand theft auto title. Why don't you buy 2 copies maybe then you'll get yakuza 4 in only what 2 years?

lets worry about the game thats coming in 2 Weeks, not 2 Years. Sega can't handle the pressure, they'll bring that one over as well.[/QUOTE]No it is NOT dumb what I said. The situation is Sega of America said over and over again they were not even going to bring Yakuza 3 stateside. They even passed on Kenzan. Yakuza 1 and 2 sold beyond terrible (Yakuza 2 had a very limited translating budget too and sold around 20k copies). Due to many wanting Yakuza 3, Sega decided to finally take the chance to bring the game stateside. However, since Yakuza 3 will more than likely bomb again, I think the chances of them releasing Yakuza 4 stateside will be next to nothing. If Yakuza 3 were to do good enough, Sega may continue bringing Yakuza stateside. And I'll say it over and over again, there's NO way Sega will let other publishers touch Yakuza, kind of like how Namco Bandai never lets other publishers (outside of ToP on GBA) release Tales games stateside to protect their IP. Namco Bandai has cut so much crap out of Tales games (like Japanese voices in areas, Anime scenes, etc.) and no one bitches. There's been tons of crap from other games cut and no one complained anywhere as much.

For an example, I found Shining Tears on PS2 to be an awesome game. But due to selling poorly, Sega passed on Shining Wind (Shining Force EXA came over since Neo sold just good enough). Sega will probably pass on Phantasy Star Portable 2 unfortunately due to previous sales.

Regardless, I'm just very happy I can finally play Yakuza 3 in English. I rather have cut content than nothing (cutting out side stuff is ok, since I never waste my time with them). Playing Yakuza 3 in Japanese would be a waste because I don't know Japanese and would have to pay a ridiculous price to import.

Also, just be lucky SCEA is even allowing the game to come stateside as a disc release because normally if a game lacks English voice acting, they won't allow it for retail (has to stick digital only, its why BattleFantasia and Record of Agarest see a disc release on 360 and are PSN for PS3 stateside).

Talking about Final Fantasy also brings up an interesting point. Why are people still supporting FFXIII with the wealth of content that was cut from that?

Square Enix has said they are trying to branch out appeal to western gamers in the past, maybe they just did it quietly, while Sega announced it. To all those buying FFXIII you are going to be missing out on "A full zone around Lighting's home, a secret Nora resistance base and an amusement park Nautiuls with a zoo" simply because "the game may have gotten a little too big". That sounds a bit more substantial than a history quiz and hostess bars...

Also, once again, this is not censorship. Censorship is a serious issue. This is a video game company, trying to expand the appeal of their game by cutting content in which they feel the majority of the gaming public would not see value.

[quote name='The Mana Knight']No it is NOT dumb what I said. The situation is Sega of America said over and over again they were not even going to bring Yakuza 3 stateside. They even passed on Kenzan. Yakuza 1 and 2 sold beyond terrible (Yakuza 2 had a very limited translating budget too and sold around 20k copies). Due to many wanting Yakuza 3, Sega decided to finally take the chance to bring the game stateside. However, since Yakuza 3 will more than likely bomb again, I think the chances of them releasing Yakuza 4 stateside will be next to nothing. If Yakuza 3 were to do good enough, Sega may continue bringing Yakuza stateside. And I'll say it over and over again, there's NO way Sega will let other publishers touch Yakuza, kind of like how Namco Bandai never lets other publishers (outside of ToP on GBA) release Tales games stateside to protect their IP. Namco Bandai has cut so much crap out of Tales games (like Japanese voices in areas, Anime scenes, etc.) and no one bitches. There's been tons of crap from other games cut and no one complained anywhere as much.

For an example, I found Shining Tears on PS2 to be an awesome game. But due to selling poorly, Sega passed on Shining Wind (Shining Force EXA came over since Neo sold just good enough). Sega will probably pass on Phantasy Star Portable 2 unfortunately due to previous sales.

Regardless, I'm just very happy I can finally play Yakuza 3 in English. I rather have cut content than nothing (cutting out side stuff is ok, since I never waste my time with them). Playing Yakuza 3 in Japanese would be a waste because I don't know Japanese and would have to pay a ridiculous price to import.

Also, just be lucky SCEA is even allowing the game to come stateside as a disc release because normally if a game lacks English voice acting, they won't allow it for retail (has to stick digital only, its why BattleFantasia and Record of Agarest see a disc release on 360 and are PSN for PS3 stateside).[/QUOTE]

So you work for Sega now too?

[quote name='jh6269']Ok, so this issue is getting pretty nuts, but I'm just curious, what would you have cut if you were trying to get this game to the US on the least amount of time and money?[/QUOTE]

Nothing. No one in their right mind would rush a game to market during the same month as God of War III and Final Fantasy XIII. Not to mention Battlefield: Bad Company 2, MLB '10: The Show, Just Cause 2, and a slew of other games are coming out in March. SEGA has nothing to gain by releasing the game with less content during March...

Craziness -- people are going all nuts because of a MINI-GAME!

Here's my take -- Sega has produce a lot of rubbish in the past yet they make a title that's worthwhile and isn't "Generic Shooter X." It's an extremely ambitious title that strives (and largely succeeded) at making the player feel like they're in Japan and immersed in the culture.

I, personally, want to support the risk that Sega is taking because there is absolutely no other games on the market, and likely never again, that can produce an experience like this. I'm tried of running around "Western" cities (ala Infamous, Grand Theft Auto 4, Crackdown, etc). I want to play in another sandbox that has ramen shops, vending machines everywhere, and craziness that makes me go "What the hell are they thinking?"

So if you're all okay with reducing the chance that Yakuza 4 is coming out then be my guest. But don't come crying when Sega doesn't release it because the game didn't sell well enough to justify the expenditures. Sega is very, very foolish or ignorant to release this in March (which basically feels like an October/November, given the AAA titles coming out). But those games will sell just fine without my support (likely hundreds of thousand copies in the first month) while Sega could use my support more.

[quote name='Ecofreak']So if you're all okay with reducing the chance that Yakuza 4 is coming out then be my guest. But don't come crying when Sega doesn't release it because the game didn't sell well enough to justify the expenditures.[/QUOTE]

People will complain, and then we'll remember what SEGA did to Yakuza 3 and we'll start bitching about that again. Essentially, SEGA is in control of their own fate. They have the content, it was originally in the game so if they've cut it, it wouldn't be hard to put back in either on the disc or as DLC. But SEGA needs to announce that the cut content is going to be available soon or the sales are going to keep dropping.

By cutting the content, they are basically telling me that I'm not the right audience for said content...they have no right telling me what I can and cannot play, especially if they want my money. So as others have said, if you want to spend you money and tell SEGA "yes, please cut content, I'll gladly pay you for doing so" then be my guest.

[quote name='TctclMvPhase']Talking about Final Fantasy also brings up an interesting point. Why are people still supporting FFXIII with the wealth of content that was cut from that?[/QUOTE]
Not the same thing. Someone at SE decided that the content didn't fit in anywhere in the game and decided to cut it from all versions of the game. It's no different then when a director decides to cut some scenes from a movie. This is something that has been going on forever.

Last edited by a moderator:
You know, I think maybe these people boycotting the game might have a point.

In my sordid past, I frequently visited gentleman's clubs that here have a lot of similarities to Japan's hostess clubs. I spent a great deal of money in these places. Ottawa-Gatineau is the capital of North America in this regard. Somebody like me, who has experienced these places and what goes on, isn't going to care that they can't do the same in the North American version of Yakuza 3.

I guess I was only thinking of myself. I apologize.

Anyway, I'm more concerned about finding the game. I really wanted to buy the Sonic Kart game so my niece and nephew would have something to play when I babysit them but nobody had the game anywhere. I found it at Microplay for $50 and they didn't know that nobody else had a copy, which is a good thing because then they would have jacked up the price to $80. Somehow, I wonder if Yakuza 3 will be hard to find for those who didn't pre-order. Sega seems to be hit-or-miss when it comes to their games. Some. like Bayonetta, are easy to find and others like Valkyria Chronicles are not.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='SynGamer']People will complain, and then we'll remember what SEGA did to Yakuza 3 and we'll start bitching about that again. Essentially, SEGA is in control of their own fate. They have the content, it was originally in the game so if they've cut it, it wouldn't be hard to put back in either on the disc or as DLC. But SEGA needs to announce that the cut content is going to be available soon or the sales are going to keep dropping.

By cutting the content, they are basically telling me that I'm not the right audience for said content...they have no right telling me what I can and cannot play, especially if they want my money. So as others have said, if you want to spend you money and tell SEGA "yes, please cut content, I'll gladly pay you for doing so" then be my guest.[/QUOTE]

Look, that's not my question, I'm asking if you did not have a choice, and you had to cut something to get the game out the door, what part would you have cut?

This issue is clearly about money, if Sega knew they were going to make a mint off of this game, I'm sure it would have all the content of the Japanese game, plus extra content for the NA release. Someone at Sega wanted to bring this game over to the US and was probably told that they could do it bu they have X number of dollars they could spend, otherwise the answer was NO. That's how business works. They evaluate the benefit against the costs and that's how projects are chosen and cut. I know, in my job, I've had to create business cases and had them rejected do to lack of funds.

So I ask you again, if you did not have a choice, and you had to cut something out of the game to get it out the door, what would you have cut?

[quote name='jh6269']So I ask you again, if you did not have a choice, and you had to cut something out of the game to get it out the door, what would you have cut?[/QUOTE]

They could have promised it as future DLC based on how well the game sold. It is of course less desirable to buyers, but it at least keeps the fan base more pleased than just down right dropping it with such a terrible reason the SEGA PR team gave.

[quote name='TctclMvPhase']Talking about Final Fantasy also brings up an interesting point. Why are people still supporting FFXIII with the wealth of content that was cut from that?[/QUOTE]

Because FF fans will buy pretty much anything that SE puts out. Some will refuse, but the majority will buy it. That's why I think it would be actually effective if people boycotted FF13 until the cut parts are put back in. A lot of people, myself included, believe that a portion of the cut content was because they had to shoehorn it on to the 360 at the last minute b/c Microsoft gave them a big bag of cash. They couldn't keep the content in the PS3 version b/c they would risk pissing off MS and 360 owners (who would be a bigger market and have a bigger install base). Hence, we have a watered down FF13.

OTOH, we have Yakuza 3, a complete product that was done a year ago. Sega decided, out of the blue, to bring the title over, probably on an extremely limited budget. They're most likely testing the waters with this title, so they made some hard choices but cut the portions that they thought (wrongly) wouldn't make a difference. Boycotting this game will only ensure that you not only do not get the cut content as DLC, you will not see the next title.

Again, maybe I'm wrong, and I hope I am, and Sega announces the DLC, everyone buys the game again and we can see the 4th title.

[quote name='Chibi_Kaji']Not the same thing. Someone at SE decided that the content didn't fit in anywhere in the game and decided to cut it from all versions of the game. It's no different then when a director decides to cut some scenes from a movie. This is something that has been going on forever.[/QUOTE]

Then I dont see why you cant accept whats being done to Yakuza since movies also have different cuts for different areas. Look at "Suicide Circle", "Blade Runner", "Brazil" and "The Professional" all these movies had different cuts depending on the region where the movie was being released.

The point here is that if Sega wants to alter its product, it has every right to do so. By all means dont buy Yakuza 3, but dont try to color this is as some sort of injustice. It is the creator's right to choose the way they want their work to be experienced. Maybe if Toshihiro Nagoshi comes out and complains that Sega is forcing him to cut content, maybe then you could get pissed at Sega over some sort of injustice, but in the meantime this is just business as usual and most of those boycotting look a bit like hypocrites for picking up a title like FFXIII which had far more extensive cuts.

[quote name='Draekon']They could have promised it as future DLC based on how well the game sold. It is of course less desirable to buyers, but it at least keeps the fan base more pleased than just down right dropping it with such a terrible reason the SEGA PR team gave.[/QUOTE]

I don't think they're going to reveal the budget they allotted to the game localization. The common gamer isn't going to know or care. The PR person basically said that they cut this portion because they didn't think it would make a difference to westerners. They're right, with a huge exception; it does make a lot of sense to the audience of this particular game. Which kind of leads me to believe that they released this game on a chance that it may garner an interest form an expanded audience. I know that it doesn't make sense to release it in the busiest month of 2010, but who knows. They probably had to release it because it was pushed back as far as they could do it w/o having it cost them even more.

[quote name='TctclMvPhase']
The point here is that if Sega wants to alter its product, it has every right to do so. By all means dont buy Yakuza 3, but dont try to color this is as some sort of injustice.[/QUOTE]
I've said it before and I'll say it again. SEGA did a horrible job in handling the situation and that's where my problem with this whole thing starts.

[quote name='Chibi_Kaji']I've said it before and I'll say it again. SEGA did a horrible job in handling the situation and that's where my problem with this whole thing starts.[/QUOTE]

How is Sega suppose to handle it than?

[quote name='blueweltall']How is Sega suppose to handle it than?[/QUOTE]
As soon as the game was announced for the US they should have mentioned content had to be cut, and explained that it had to do with budget problems. Not wait until two weeks before the game comes out, have IGN discover it and then claim it was cut because we're too stupid to understand it.

[quote name='Rei no Otaku']As soon as the game was announced for the US they should have mentioned content had to be cut, and explained that it had to do with budget problems. Not wait until two weeks before the game comes out, have IGN discover it and then claim it was cut because we're too stupid to understand it.[/QUOTE]

So if Sega would announce the cut earlier, everybody would be fine? I doubt that is really the issue.

[quote name='blueweltall']So if Sega would announce the cut earlier, everybody would be fine? I doubt that is really the issue.[/QUOTE]
You expect me to speak for everyone else? Last I checked I'm not psychic. I would have been fine with that. I don't give a shit what everyone else thinks.

[quote name='blueweltall']So if Sega would announce the cut earlier, everybody would be fine? I doubt that is really the issue.[/QUOTE]
No, This is the internet so everyone finds something to complain about. But it would have certainly been a much better move then waiting until 2 weeks before the game released. And I'm certain that people would have been more understanding about the whole situation. Instead what they did was give fans of the series the impression that they never planned to tell them about the cuts.

Ok You can't compare Movies to Videogames, Movies get cut because of Organizations and Goverments like the MPAA.

I didn't have any idea about FF13 getting cut but I can see it being necessary if they wanted to make it simalar to the 360 version due to space, same for what they might due for lost planet. However, removing it while it was in the Japanese version is another story.

People why are strip clubs still in yakuza 3 and not the hostess clubs? This is much more of a cultural issue then the removal of content. We need to make Sega the example on this because otherwise many more companies will still be ok with removing content from US/PAL games. I am not against removal of Fermented soy bean jokes, stuff that 99% of americans really won't get, however remove elements from the game that happer the complete experiance like mahjong, shogi, and experiencing managing a hostess club aren't too japanese for us to understand.

Mana Knight idk what the F*CK your talking about, Sega set itself up for disaster so Yakuza 4 could never come in the first place. Yakuza 3 will never out beat all those 12,13 games I just mentioned, EVER, if this game was released back 6 months ago it could have had a chance, but there is so much BS that has gone wrong with this game that they don't deserve and couldn't possibly have made whatever goal they set. I'm sorry but I want Yakuza 4 too however if they are going to go through this whole BS parade again and cut something, we might as well get our moneys worth with Yakuza 3.

if your read my previous posts I explain the entire Sega ordeal, they planned on not saying anything at all, we just got lucky and found out before they released it. They didn't want to give us a chance in the first place.

bread's done
Back