Sega has Cut Yakuza 3 content, Listings of entire Cuts now available.

Phantasyx, bud, you're on my ignore list man. I know you're posting something, but I can't see it. Sorry.

Peek-a-boo!

Peek-a-boo!

It's always such fun toying with retards.

[quote name='WrexManor']Because most videogame players DO NOT want to immerse themselves into a foreign country. They do not want to challenge themselves. They want to have fun. You're speaking from the perspective of a niche player, not a mainstream player.[/QUOTE]

So we all need to head what the mainstream desires? I will agree with you that I am a niche player, good point, but this game appeals to that kind of player. Your average halo fanboy isn't going to buy this game, so why should I sacrifice so that they can like it more? I will buy this game, I just want to be able to do what I want to in the game. If you don't want to do what was cut, then don't, but allow others to play how they wish. Just because you think something is stupid doesn't mean others do as well, so let us enjoy our freedom, and the enjoyment of that does include boycotting a game so that we can leverage to have content restored you wouldn't take the time of day to enjoy anyway. It's almost reminiscent of the mako argument when mass effect 2 came out.

[quote name='WrexManor']Phantasyx, bud, you're on my ignore list man. I know you're posting something, but I can't see it. Sorry.[/QUOTE]
LOL yes I'm putting this as a quote!

[quote name='WrexManor']In fact. I'm happy that the Mahjong has been taken out of the game. I've played enough Mahjong in Clubhouse Games. [/QUOTE]

I just wanted to point out that you are referring to Mahjong Solitaire. Real Mahjong is played with four players and it shares some similarities with Rummy. The Yakuza games have a mini-game where you play real Mahjong, and there really isn't any other video game in North America that lets you play Mahjong. The only version of Mahjong that you see in North America is Mahjong solitaire, which is completely different from the real Mahjong.

I play the Yakuza games for the story, the action, and the Japanese culture. By removing the hostess club management mini-game, Shogi, and Mahjong, there's less Japanese culture in the game. The Yakuza games are as close to Japan as I can get without actually going there, so I would very much like to have all of the elements in the game, and that is regardless of the fact that I just hate when media is edited or cut.

[quote name='Razzuel']I just wanted to point out that you are referring to Mahjong Solitaire. Real Mahjong is played with four players and it shares some similarities with Rummy. The Yakuza games have a mini-game where you play real mahjong, and there really isn't any other video game in North America that lets you play mahjong. The only version of mahjong that you see in North America is Mahjong solitaire, which is completely different from the real Mahjong.

I play the Yakuza games for the story, the action, and the Japanese culture. By removing the hostess club management mini-game, shogi, and mahjong, there's less Japanese culture in the game. The Yakuza games are as close to Japan as I can get without actually going there, so I would very much like to have all of the elements in the game, and that is regardless of the fact that I just hate when media is edited or cut.[/QUOTE]

His ENTIRE point is that is should be LESS JAPANESE so that mainstream americans can enjoy it.

[quote name='alivetilldawn']So we all need to head what the mainstream desires? I will agree with you that I am a niche player, good point, but this game appeals to that kind of player. Your average halo fanboy isn't going to buy this game, so why should I sacrifice so that they can like it more? I will buy this game, I just want to be able to do what I want to in the game. If you don't want to do what was cut, then don't, but allow others to play how they wish. Just because you think something is stupid doesn't mean others do as well, so let us enjoy our freedom, and the enjoyment of that does include boycotting a game so that we can leverage to have content restored you wouldn't take the time of day to enjoy anyway. It's almost reminiscent of the mako argument when mass effect 2 came out.[/QUOTE]

Now to show that I can discuss stuff without being a prick.

We don't all need to head towards mainstream desires. Of course not. But man, come on, lets be fair. 20,000 was a piss poor number of sales for Yakuza 2. Should Sega aim to repeat those sales?

At the very least, I understand why those things were taken out of Yakuza 3. Can you understand why they did it?

There really is a snowball effect of outrage here where a lot of people are so busy being outraged, they've forgotten to contemplate whether they should be angry or care in the first place. They've simply stopped being reasonable.

Okay. Fair enough. You wanted to play Mahjong in Yakuza 3? Fine. I'll give you that. But in general, of all the gamers you meet in real life, not just you have similar tastes as. How many of them would genuinely want to play Mahjong?

http://www.goriya.com/flash/mahjong.shtml

Pass that link around. Go ahead. Everyone who is upset. Go ahead. Click on that. Play a game. Is that generally worth all the outrage? I personally don't believe it is. I would be much more upset if they were taking moves or storylines out of the game.

[quote name='Razzuel']I just wanted to point out that you are referring to Mahjong Solitaire. Real Mahjong is played with four players and it shares some similarities with Rummy. The Yakuza games have a mini-game where you play real Mahjong, and there really isn't any other video game in North America that lets you play Mahjong. The only version of Mahjong that you see in North America is Mahjong solitaire, which is completely different from the real Mahjong.

I play the Yakuza games for the story, the action, and the Japanese culture. By removing the hostess club management mini-game, Shogi, and Mahjong, there's less Japanese culture in the game. The Yakuza games are as close to Japan as I can get without actually going there, so I would very much like to have all of the elements in the game, and that is regardless of the fact that I just hate when media is edited or cut.[/QUOTE]

Now. Let me ask you this.

If by cutting the material out, the game is made into a better experience for the majority of American/Western gamers, was it the right choice?

I also didn't know about Mahjong being a four-player game.

Let me ask. How much effort would it have taken on the game developers part to bring American players up to speed on playing a four-player gamer on four player Mahjong? What if the budget Sega gave the team doing the American release wasn't enough to be able to program and bring American players up to speed to play the game? Should they have not bothered to bring the game over at all?

Now imagine you're playing the game, and I'm not sure how they introduce the Mahjong in the game, but what if you're suddenly thrown into a game of Mahjong without being taught how to play it? Isn't that a bit of a gamebreaker?

[quote name='Razzuel']I just wanted to point out that you are referring to Mahjong Solitaire. Real Mahjong is played with four players and it shares some similarities with Rummy. The Yakuza games have a mini-game where you play real Mahjong, and there really isn't any other video game in North America that lets you play Mahjong. The only version of Mahjong that you see in North America is Mahjong solitaire, which is completely different from the real Mahjong.

I play the Yakuza games for the story, the action, and the Japanese culture. By removing the hostess club management mini-game, Shogi, and Mahjong, there's less Japanese culture in the game. The Yakuza games are as close to Japan as I can get without actually going there, so I would very much like to have all of the elements in the game, and that is regardless of the fact that I just hate when media is edited or cut.[/QUOTE]

Now. Let me ask you this.

If by cutting the material out, the game is made into a better experience for the majority of American/Western gamers, was it the right choice?

I get that Sega feels like we wouldn't understand these minigames/events, but that's no reason to remove them. They're completely optional items, so it's not like it will get in anyone's way if they don't like them. Not saying I won't buy Yakuza 3, but I'm kind of less excited knowing I'm getting a watered down version of it.

Yakuza 3 was a potenial FULL learning experience many people don't normally get to have. Its extremely accurate down to the actual products and stores. I made this thread partially because the removal of it and the statements made were down right racist however there are certain people who want to cloud up this thread to the actual facts.

WrexManor your facts aren't even accurate please stop posting.

THAT IS NOT MAHJONG YOU ARE A DUMB ASS!

Someone please show WrexManor my post were I give detail why Yakuza 2 failed

[quote name='WrexManor']Now to show that I can discuss stuff without being a prick.

We don't all need to head towards mainstream desires. Of course not. But man, come on, lets be fair. 20,000 was a piss poor number of sales for Yakuza 2. Should Sega aim to repeat those sales?

At the very least, I understand why those things were taken out of Yakuza 3. Can you understand why they did it?

There really is a snowball effect of outrage here where a lot of people are so busy being outraged, they've forgotten to contemplate whether they should be angry or care in the first place. They've simply stopped being reasonable.

Okay. Fair enough. You wanted to play Mahjong in Yakuza 3? Fine. I'll give you that. But in general, of all the gamers you meet in real life, not just you have similar tastes as. How many of them would genuinely want to play Mahjong?

http://www.goriya.com/flash/mahjong.shtml

Pass that link around. Go ahead. Everyone who is upset. Go ahead. Click on that. Play a game. Is that generally worth all the outrage? I personally don't believe it is. I would be much more upset if they were taking moves or storylines out of the game.[/QUOTE]

The outrage is aimed at sega, not at the game. We are all very happy to be able to play the game, even if they do not bring the additional content. But having to cut content that you thought wouldn't appeal for time constraints is bs. We are now using our dollars to register a complaint. They brought it because we demanded it, now we're demanding the rest. In america we can do this, that's capitalism, we're supposed to support this concept. Most gamers only play the mainstream games. Heck, most people I know that game only play 4 or so games a year, generally lent from my collection. I know one person out of 7 that I lent fallout 3 to that enjoyed it. And yet fallout new vegas looks to have more of the intricate elements that turned most people off from fallout 3. If sega is looking to sell this game, marketing it to the mainstreem is going to do them a great disservice. I am looking forward to playing this game, but to make the argument that we shouldn't be annoyed with sega for removing elements of a game is bs. This is how capitalism works baby, we should enjoy it, we have rights as consumers.

[quote name='alivetilldawn']The outrage is aimed at sega, not at the game. We are all very happy to be able to play the game, even if they do not bring the additional content. But having to cut content that you thought wouldn't appeal for time constraints is bs. We are now using our dollars to register a complaint. They brought it because we demanded it, now we're demanding the rest. In america we can do this, that's capitalism, we're supposed to support this concept. Most gamers only play the mainstream games. Heck, most people I know that game only play 4 or so games a year, generally lent from my collection. I know one person out of 7 that I lent fallout 3 to that enjoyed it. And yet fallout new vegas looks to have more of the intricate elements that turned most people off from fallout 3. If sega is looking to sell this game, marketing it to the mainstreem is going to do them a great disservice. I am looking forward to playing this game, but to make the argument that we shouldn't be annoyed with sega for removing elements of a game is bs. This is how capitalism works baby, we should enjoy it, we have rights as consumers.[/QUOTE]

I'm not talking about capitalism. I'm talking about game design. From a design and budgetary perspective, it makes sense to cut things out because the last two games bombed.

If they hadn't, and people had taken to them, do you think they would still have removed what they did?

Also from a design perspective, does the addition of Mahjong and Shogi present a challenge to the enjoyment of the game to average Western gamers? Not to you. But to the average western gamer.

[quote name='WrexManor']I'm not talking about capitalism. I'm talking about game design. From a design and budgetary perspective, it makes sense to cut things out because the last two games bombed.

If they hadn't, and people had taken to them, do you think they would still have removed what they did?

Also from a design perspective, does the addition of Mahjong and Shogi present a challenge to the enjoyment of the game to average Western gamers?[/QUOTE]
just ignore him as soon as he realizes no one is replying to him he will bother another thread.

Does anyone know any good downloadable Mah Jong games for Mac? I have one for PC, but I don't use windows anymore, so I can't run it. I have 2 Mah Jong games for iPod Touch, but I'd like a really good one for Mac. I'm talking about real Mah Jong of course, not solitaire. I prefer Chinese Mah Jong though, never played Japanese style.

I hope the Mah Jong comes as DLC for Y3 b/c I'd really like to play it on console, plus I'd like to see how the Japanese style is played. My wife is Taiwanese, and they play with 16 tiles in a hand and use the flowers.

[quote name='jh6269']Does anyone know any good downloadable Mah Jong games for Mac? I have one for PC, but I don't use windows anymore, so I can't run it. I have 2 Mah Jong games for iPod Touch, but I'd like a really good one for Mac. I'm talking about real Mah Jong of course, not solitaire. I prefer Chinese Mah Jong though, never played Japanese style.

I hope the Mah Jong comes as DLC for Y3 b/c I'd really like to play it on console, plus I'd like to see how the Japanese style is played. My wife is Taiwanese, and they play with 16 tiles in a hand and use the flowers.[/QUOTE]

Flowers?

[quote name='phantasyx']That was your only option for console that I know of, Y3 was Chinese style I believe.[/QUOTE]

The Mahjong in Yakuza 2 is Japanese style, so I would assume that the Mahjong in Yakuza 3 is Japanese style as well. Also, it only seems fit for it to be the Japanese style, since the game takes place in Japan. :p

[quote name='WrexManor']I'm not talking about capitalism. I'm talking about game design. From a design and budgetary perspective, it makes sense to cut things out because the last two games bombed.

Also from a design perspective, does the addition of Mahjong and Shogi present a challenge to the enjoyment of the game to average Western gamers? Not to you. But to the average western gamer.[/QUOTE]

This will be my last response to you, because you do not seem to see that your argument is just defending a lazy developer who is only working on the game because the people who wanted to play the Mahjong and Shogi demanded that they do so. Sega is depending on hardcore players, seems to be either their folly or goal, so why remove things that conventional wisdom says wouldn't appeal? So far I haven't found that conventional wisdom to be particuarly accurate. Call it a gateway drug, but there is an interest in things that aren't familiar to you in immersing yourself in a foreign experience, and that should not exclude the mainstream consumer. You are trying to say that we should not be angry, and use our rights as consumers in a capitalist society, to try and allow ourselves to have that experience of Yakuza 3. This thread is very much so about capitalism, it's about our rights has consumers to leverage against a corporation to get what we want, you're saying we should just suck it up and accept what they decide is best for us. So you wouldn't want to be in Japan, fine, I would, so why should my options be limited by yours?

[quote name='alivetilldawn']This will be my last response to you, because you do not seem to see that your argument is just defending a lazy developer who is only working on the game because the people who wanted to play the Mahjong and Shogi demanded that they do so. Sega is depending on hardcore players, seems to be either their folly or goal, so why remove things that conventional wisdom says wouldn't appeal? So far I haven't found that conventional wisdom to be particuarly accurate. Call it a gateway drug, but there is an interest in things that aren't familiar to you in immersing yourself in a foreign experience, and that should not exclude the mainstream consumer. You are trying to say that we should not be angry, and use our rights as consumers in a capitalist society, to try and allow ourselves to have that experience of Yakuza 3. This thread is very much so about capitalism, it's about our rights has consumers to leverage against a corporation to get what we want, you're saying we should just suck it up and accept what they decide is best for us. So you wouldn't want to be in Japan, fine, I would, so why should my options be limited by yours?[/QUOTE]
He is too naive to see whats going on, let him think he's all knowing and omnipotent if it will get him to leave.

[quote name='phantasyx']He is too naive to see whats going on, let him think he's all knowing and omnipotent if it will get him to leave.[/QUOTE]

I don't placate.

[quote name='alivetilldawn']This will be my last response to you, because you do not seem to see that your argument is just defending a lazy developer who is only working on the game because the people who wanted to play the Mahjong and Shogi demanded that they do so. Sega is depending on hardcore players, seems to be either their folly or goal, so why remove things that conventional wisdom says wouldn't appeal? So far I haven't found that conventional wisdom to be particuarly accurate. Call it a gateway drug, but there is an interest in things that aren't familiar to you in immersing yourself in a foreign experience, and that should not exclude the mainstream consumer. You are trying to say that we should not be angry, and use our rights as consumers in a capitalist society, to try and allow ourselves to have that experience of Yakuza 3. This thread is very much so about capitalism, it's about our rights has consumers to leverage against a corporation to get what we want, you're saying we should just suck it up and accept what they decide is best for us. So you wouldn't want to be in Japan, fine, I would, so why should my options be limited by yours?[/QUOTE]

And there the crux of your discussion. You're upset about about the fact that I'm even bothering to defend Sega, so much so, you're willing to ignore any legitimate discussion/reasons I may have about the subject matter. I think it's quite cowardly and ignorant for you to take such a stance.

Hardcore gamers do not equal Niche Gamers. There is a fine line between the two.

Battlefield: Bad Company 2 = Hardcore Gamers
Disgaea = Niche Gamers

I mean I asked you a couple of very specific questions, that weren't generalizations, and your refusal to answer them is puzzling to me. In fact I don't know why you're harping on capitalism when the issue at hand is budgetary and design choices made by Sega and the translation team. It's like you refuse to even begin to understand why the decision was made because you're more upset that it was made in the first place.

Let me respectfully ask once again.

From a design and budgetary perspective, it makes sense to cut things out because the last two games bombed. If they hadn't, and people had taken to them, do you think they would still have removed what they did? In fact this goes out to anyone who was turned off by the fact that they took those mini-games out.

Also from a design perspective, does the addition of Mahjong and Shogi present a challenge to the enjoyment of the game to average Western gamers? Not to you. But to the average western gamer.

The problem with cutting content because of budgetary constraints is that SEGA artificially put the constraints on themself. It doesn't cost very much money to have someone translate the Mahjong, and the Hostess Club dialogue, while there is more of it, should still only take a few days max. The real problem is SEGA has chosen quite possibly the most jam-packed month to release their game. No one in their right mind would try to release a niche game in March, no one...aside from SEGA.

So us gamers who are canceling pre-orders and refusing to buy a game that isn't complete are voting with our money. I couldn't care less about Yakuza 4 if this is how SEGA is going to treat us in the future. I could see if the content wasn't there and SEGA had to create it and put it in the game, but it's already there, coded in, waiting to be translated. So I'll wait to pick up Yakuza 3 either in the bargain bin or used at GameStop...unless SEGA pulls their heads out of their asses and fix the problem.

[quote name='WrexManor']Also from a design perspective, does the addition of Mahjong and Shogi present a challenge to the enjoyment of the game to average Western gamers? Not to you. But to the average western gamer.[/QUOTE]

Um, it was already in the game. And how would you know you wouldn't like them; you obviously didn't have a clue what Mahjong even was. Something that's probably more popular world-wide than poker, and you're talking about clubhouse games lol. You've obviously have had very little knowledge of many other cultures, which is the point everyone against Sega is arguing - that Yakuza gives a glimpse at Japanese culture.

[quote name='SynGamer']The problem with cutting content because of budgetary constraints is that SEGA artificially put the constraints on themself. It doesn't cost very much money to have someone translate the Mahjong, and the Hostess Club dialogue, while there is more of it, should still only take a few days max. The real problem is SEGA has chosen quite possibly the most jam-packed month to release their game. No one in their right mind would try to release a niche game in March, no one...aside from SEGA.

So us gamers who are canceling pre-orders and refusing to buy a game that isn't complete are voting with our money. I couldn't care less about Yakuza 4 if this is how SEGA is going to treat us in the future. I could see if the content wasn't there and SEGA had to create it and put it in the game, but it's already there, coded in, waiting to be translated. So I'll wait to pick up Yakuza 3 either in the bargain bin or used at GameStop...unless SEGA pulls their heads out of their asses and fix the problem.[/QUOTE]

How artificial is it if the company needed to hire programmers and animators and artists to make changes in order to be able to bring Western gamers up to speed on how to play those games? What if they decided this wasn't worth the cost since the last two games didn't fare nearly as well in this part of the world?

I mean you tell me. They may have lost a lot of sales for content removed. But how many more sales would they have gotten from content not only retained, but added (in this case, teaching American/UK gamers how to play Shogi and Mahjong) through additional funding.

[quote name='WrexManor']And there the crux of your discussion. You're upset about about the fact that I'm even bothering to defend Sega, so much so, you're willing to ignore any legitimate discussion/reasons I may have about the subject matter. I think it's quite cowardly and ignorant for you to take such a stance.

Let me respectfully ask once again.
[/QUOTE]
He ignored me first, until I know that I'm off his ignore list I'll remove it from the thread title. And I think its funny how he's "respectful" now after calling everyone idiots and retards.

It costs programmers money to cut content, I'd assume more then to translate the same bit. I think we are all in agreement the Sega handled this entire situation badly and the votes show what the majority thinks, not Wrexmanor.

[quote name='elessar123']Um, it was already in the game. [/quote]

In Japan. Where people already know how to play these things.

And how would you know you wouldn't like them; you obviously didn't have a clue what Mahjong even was.

Because I'm not buying a game called Yakuza 3 to play Mahjong. There is a huge oversight on the part of everyone here.

You've obviously have had very little knowledge of many other cultures, which is the point everyone against Sega is arguing - that Yakuza gives a glimpse at Japanese culture.

Yakuza isn't supposed to give a glimpse of Japanese culture anymore than Grand Theft Auto IV was supposed to give a glimpse into Serbian or New York City culture.

Everyone bitching is forgetting one thing.

Yakuza 3 was aimed at Japanese gamers. This game was NEVER supposed to come out here. Yakuza was made for people who LIVE in Japan. They already know what Japanese culture is.

It's only to outsiders that the game suddenly becomes "a glimpse at Japanese culture". That was never the intent of the game EVER. Why are you making it as such?

Again. What if adding in these additional elements made the game a worse experience for Western gamers?

The problem here is Sega is half-assing it. They would make more money just putting that shit back in and delaying the launch until it isn't up against Battlefield: Bad Company 2, Final Fantasy XIII, God of War III and the Dragon Age: Origins expansion.

WrexManor again doesn't have his facts straight and is BSing his posts.

according to wikipedia:
Due to their commercial success all Asian versions had bargain re-releases, a PlayStation 3 the Best edition in Asia on November 30, 2009,[64] then in Japan on December 3, 2009[65] and a PlayStation 3 BigHit Series edition on December 11, 2009 in Korea.

Basically saying it was released for all asian territories not just the Japanese and that it sold so well elsewhere that they made it greatest hits. This guy is soo annoying

[quote name='Hostile']The problem here is Sega is half-assing it. They would make more money just putting that shit back in and delaying the launch until it isn't up against Battlefield: Bad Company 2, Final Fantasy XIII, God of War III and the Dragon Age: Origins expansion.[/QUOTE]

Yeah. That was retarded of them.

Most likely the game is already gold and they're not going to do anything about this... unless they "add" it to the game through DLC.

[quote name='Hostile']Most likely the game is already gold and they're not going to do anything about this... unless they "add" it to the game through DLC.[/QUOTE]

I think if the game sells over 500,000 units, everything will be added via DLC. Mahjong and all. Plus I've seen on the Japanese PSN store that there is a ton of free DLC for this game.

Any word on that?

[quote name='WrexManor']I think if the game sells over 500,000 units, everything will be added via DLC. Mahjong and all. Plus I've seen on the Japanese PSN store that there is a ton of free DLC for this game.

Any word on that?[/QUOTE]
This guy is soo dumb...500,000 copies sold in Japan do you seriously think the US will sell that many. I can't relay my messages to him because I'm on his ignore list. Somebody please ask for his age!

So a game that takes place in Japan, deeply seeded in Japanese culture and crime lore, as well as commercial goods, is not supposed to be a "glimpse" of the culture? Seriously? If you prefer to play commercial games like the good white bread boy you were raised to be then get out of this thread. I have lived overseas and experienced other cultures, learned to love them, come back the states and taught other people about them, even turned them to like it. Just because the average off the street white mother fucker refuses to immerse in another culture does not mean I cannot use my dollars to influence a company and their decision to curtail things to an audience they do not have. Unless you count casual MW players as "hardcore" then niche is very much so our thing. Did you play demon souls? Big fan of Valkyria Chronicles? Here to defend a corporation on CHEAP ASS GAMER? Seriously? I appreciated that you put forth your argument without the snide and cheap comments, I would prefer to converse in a more civil sense, but you come back abandoning this, why? No one is here to insult you, we just ask questions, and you keep coming back as some sort of apologist when we are trying to make a clear example of why that is so wrong.

[quote name='WrexManor']I think if the game sells over 500,000 units, everything will be added via DLC. Mahjong and all. Plus I've seen on the Japanese PSN store that there is a ton of free DLC for this game.

Any word on that?[/QUOTE]

You've got way too many zeros in there. Take all of them out and you have the correct estimate.

I play and love both Demons Soul and Valkyria Chronicles. In fact there are few japanese games that are "too japanese" for me. With that said, personally, if I got caught up in a game because I can't pick up a girl at a club or need to google japanese culture trivia, I would most likely curse the game and put it down for a few weeks.

Watering down US versions of japanese games gets me just as heated as Im sure it gets some of you but in this instance I just cant see a reason to complain. It seems like they took out the parts of the game that would have annoyed me to begin with. As long as the story doesn't have holes in it, in this case Im cool with it. With that said fuck SEGA for thinking that American's can't grasp certain parts of Japanese culture. A hostess club could be explained in an added line or 2 in the dialogue, or add a plaque you can read outside explaining it or something. I find it kind of offensive that it will just confuse our simple American minds.

I fully understand why people are upset, especially those who are really into Japanese culture, but in this case it just seems like they took out the things that I personally would not have enjoyed.

@SynGamer and phantasyx,

How do you know it wouldn't cost them more to translate the hostess club and mahjong? Did you ever think that they probably had to pull resources off of other titles to work on this? Maybe they were loaned to the project just for a month and they had to schedule the QA and all that stuff. Maybe they used staff that had some downtime, but other projects that are higher priority came up and they had to make a tough decision to cut the content out.

I'm a software developer myself, so I can understand how this got cut to budgetary constraints.

If you're a fan of the franchise, you should just buy the game and be thankful you even got the title. I've never played Yakuza until this latest demo, and I am buying it just to see if I like it or not. It must be fun, otherwise it wouldn't have a cult following.

[quote name='jh6269']@SynGamer and phantasyx,

How do you know it wouldn't cost them more to translate the hostess club and mahjong? Did you ever think that they probably had to pull resources off of other titles to work on this? Maybe they were loaned to the project just for a month and they had to schedule the QA and all that stuff. Maybe they used staff that had some downtime, but other projects that are higher priority came up and they had to make a tough decision to cut the content out.

I'm a software developer myself, so I can understand how this got cut to budgetary constraints.

If you're a fan of the franchise, you should just buy the game and be thankful you even got the title. I've never played Yakuza until this latest demo, and I am buying it just to see if I like it or not. It must be fun, otherwise it wouldn't have a cult following.[/QUOTE]

This is called intelligence. And this is exactly what I've been talking about.

[quote name='jh6269']If you're a fan of the franchise, you should just buy the game and be thankful you even got the title. I've never played Yakuza until this latest demo, and I am buying it just to see if I like it or not. It must be fun, otherwise it wouldn't have a cult following.[/QUOTE]

A manufacturer is having problems with a brand of theres, but you're a fan so you should just buy it and be thankful they gave you the opportunity...yeah, that's sound logic (NOT!). I'm not going to give SEGA my hard-earned money when they giveme a half-assed product.

[quote name='Hostile']As far as I'm concerned, those parts should have been included in the initial costs of the game in the first place.[/QUOTE]

Exactly. It's costing money to cut the content and re-work the game minus the content...

[quote name='SynGamer']A manufacturer is having problems with a brand of theres, but you're a fan so you should just buy it and be thankful they gave you the opportunity...yeah, that's sound logic (NOT!). I'm not going to give SEGA my hard-earned money when they giveme a half-assed product.

Exactly. It's costing money to cut the content and re-work the game minus the content...[/QUOTE]

My point is that, since this is a niche title, you're supporting the franchise more than you're supporting Sega... that's the only thing that should warrant buying the game. I'm not defending the decision, and I'm not happy about it either, but you can't just jump to conclusions that Sega is punishing you or whatever.

You also don't know for sure whether it costs more to take it out. I'm not sure myself, but depending on how you code things, you have things like this as plug-in modules, so you can set a flag and omit it from a build.

I'm not knocking you or anything, I'm just trying to look at it from all sides.

I understand that the trivia and required mahjong are potential annoyances for some people. Hell, if I'm really into a game, and then I suddenly have to switch gears and do something different (Hello vehicle levels in Gears of War 2), it pisses me off. How about they just change the required mahjong games to optional activities. That can't be significantly more difficult than cutting the whole sequence out and would allow those that wanted to play some mahjong to still get their 'jong on.

[quote name='phantasyx']This guy is soo dumb...500,000 copies sold in Japan do you seriously think the US will sell that many. I can't relay my messages to him because I'm on his ignore list. Somebody please ask for his age![/QUOTE]

The 500,000 number is absurd, and without looking through the whole thread and ensuring someone HASN'T said this, this game was requested by niche players and it is FOR niche players. Saying that they didn't need to listen to this group isn't smart because these players are the ones funding their free advertising. This sounds more like trying to meet a slot on a calendar or budget concerns. That's fine. They will get their money out of this one and the market may/may not be here for #4.

My prediction is this... 32,000 copies sold.

[quote name='WormFOODx']The 500,000 number is absurd, and without looking through the whole thread and ensuring someone HASN'T said this, this game was requested by niche players and it is FOR niche players. Saying that they didn't need to listen to this group isn't smart because these players are the ones funding their free advertising. This sounds more like trying to meet a slot on a calendar or budget concerns. That's fine. They will get their money out of this one and the market may/may not be here for #4.

My prediction is this... 32,000 copies sold.[/QUOTE]

I'm guessing 47,000 copies.

[quote name='Halo05']I understand that the trivia and required mahjong are potential annoyances for some people. Hell, if I'm really into a game, and then I suddenly have to switch gears and do something different (Hello vehicle levels in Gears of War 2), it pisses me off. How about they just change the required mahjong games to optional activities. That can't be significantly more difficult than cutting the whole sequence out and would allow those that wanted to play some mahjong to still get their 'jong on.[/QUOTE]

I don't even think Shogi and Mahjong are required for story progression in Yakuza 3. I am playing Yakuza 2 right now, and you are not required to play Mahjong. I could either earn money by playing Mahjong, or I could earn money by collecting locker keys and selling the items inside, or I could earn money by beating up fools, or I could earn money by playing some of the other mini-games. So I would assume that the mini-games in Yakuza 3 are optional like they are in Yakuza 2.

[quote name='WrexManor']This is called intelligence. And this is exactly what I've been talking about.[/QUOTE]
Bite the corporate bullet? You want to be an apologist too? You guys think that what the corporate hand feeds you, you should be happy with? Just "deal with it"? So if you go to prison and your cell mate brings the dickin, just deal with it because that is what masta brings you? I understand why they did it, nobody is saying they do not, but to say we should hold our complaints and accept what is dealt is to contradict what you claim to champion. Companies WILL LISTEN TO YOUR COMPLAINTS and I intend to fully enjoy that right and continue to campaign for this. No one blamed the staff, but the decision to cut things to curtail a game to be more "American" is just foolish. It will never sell with the mainstream. The reason people like games like this is because it is so unique, gives those of use who wish to immerse in the JAPANESE culture the opportunity to do so. You are corporate apologists, probably like to dip your tea bags. Enjoy being a slave, but understand that just saying shut up and accept it IS NOT an argument.

I look forward to playing this game, we all do, but these are optional things that sega cut, so why the hell would I not complain? If I want to do something that was ALREADY in the game, but cut for time and budget, why should I not complain? So you would be all anti it, YOU would avoid these things, fine, you have that right, I also have a right, and that is what this thread is for. There are things that need to be brought to peoples attention, this is not a huge community, but we can be influential. We are not corporate apologists, unfortunately we generally specialize in using the system, so this concept of making excuses for a corporation that could have easily included this content but did not so they could save a buck is bizarre to me. You are on CHEAP ASS GAMER. Even a libertarian who champions business should respect the consumers right to complain and influence the business decisions of a company, kind of the point.

[quote name='alivetilldawn']but the decision to cut things to curtail a game to be more "American" is just foolish. It will never sell with the mainstream. The reason people like games like this is because it is so unique, gives those of use who wish to immerse in the JAPANESE culture the opportunity to do so. You are corporate apologists, probably like to dip your tea bags. Enjoy being a slave, but understand that just saying shut up and accept it IS NOT an argument.[/QUOTE]

Where did you read that they cut the content to make it more "American?"

Here's the original quote:

[quote name='"http://ps3.ign.com/articles/107/1071367p1.html"']The content between Yakuza 3 US/UK and Yakuza JP is a little different in that we took out certain bits in order to bring the game to the west in the time alloted for us to do so. The parts we ended up taking out were parts that we felt wouldn't make sense (like a Japanese history quiz game) or wouldn't resonate as much (such as the concept of a hostess club)," the rep told IGN. "We didn't replace the parts we took out, but we made absolutely sure that the story continuity stayed intact so that the story experience was the same as the Japanese version and that it didn't take away the human drama so inherent to the Yakuza series.[/QUOTE]

It's clear that they had a schedule and a budget they had to keep, so they cut parts to meet that timeline. They decided to cut the parts that they thought wouldn't matter, and that could be easily cut w/o compromising the rest of the game. How hard is that to understand? It was probably the difference between bringing the game here or not bringing it here. Nobody's a slave here, nobody's forcing me to buy the game, or anyone for that matter. You're trying to convince us that by not buying the game, you'll get Sega to invest even more on a losing venture. It doesn't make sense. If those small parts of the game mean that much to you, it would lead me to believe that you're a hardcore fan of Yakuza, otherwise you wouldn't care. I think for fans to not buy the game, they're just shooting themselves in the foot. In my mind, 95% of a game is better than 0% or 50%.

Actually, I don't understand why they are cutting it, but let me explain myself.

They stated the following:

[quote name='Sega PR Rep']Regarding Yakuza 3, we had a tight schedule to abide by for localizing and releasing Yakuza 3 in the west. Due to the limited time we were given we had to leave certain bits of the game out and we chose portions we felt didn't resonate with western culture i.e. a Japanese history quiz show and the concept of hostess clubs. We understand that this is not the optimum thing to do, but given the options of releasing the next chapter of a beloved game so that our fans can experience the story of Yakuza vs. not releasing it at all, we felt it was worth it to release it with 99% of the content intact. We made sure that the story in no way, shape or form changed from the lack of the quiz show or hostess clubs. You can still go into Cabarets and on dates with the ladies in the game and Kazuma still kicks major ass.[/QUOTE]

The short version of this is that Sega had to cut something from the game in order to abide by their time constraints. They chose to cut the stuff, that they claimed, didn't resonate with western culture. The thing that I don't understand is why they are releasing Yakuza 3 on March 9th. Yakuza 3 is going to be surrounded by a bunch of bigger games, and it is going to get lost in the wake of all of these big releases. If they released Yakuza 3 during a much more opportune time, then they wouldn't have to make a decision to cut content from the game because they would have more time to localize the game. They already know that the Yakuza games sell poorly in North America, so shouldn't they choose a time where Yakuza 3 can get a chance to stand out on its own?

bread's done
Back