Sept 2010 @Gamer Magazine Coupons ($130 in savings)

Animekatt

CAGiversary!
My store got the new @Gamer magazines in today with some pretty good coupons. All coupons are good from 8/29 - 10/2.

:360: $15 off Splinter Cell Conviction
:360::ps3: $20 off Red Dead Redemption
:ds: $15 off Dragon Quest IX: Sentinals of the Starry Skies
:psp: $20 off Metal Gear Solid Peacewalker
:360::ps3: $15 off Kane & Lynch 2 Dog Days
:360::ps3: $20 off Final Fantasy XIII
:wii: $15 off Metroid: Other M
:360::ps3: $10 off Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2

In order to use these, you have to purchase the book @ $5.99, and be a Reward Zone Gamer's Club member (free). All coupons should be working correctly now.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, this is YMMV. I bought my copy for $20 yesterday, but did so trading games in the store, which I was the first person to do.
The coupon hasn't started yet, and they never work on sale items so I wouldn't get too excited.

[quote name='midloo']Or it could just be some dude running his mouth about how he bagged a game for cheap.[/QUOTE]

Or even made it up hoping to get everyone in a frenzy.

[quote name='ultramanJ']Or even made it up hoping to get everyone in a frenzy.[/QUOTE]

Woops... yeah this is what I meant :)

Though I could just be jealous if he actually got that to work. My local BB is always way ahead of nonsense like this.

[quote name='ultramanJ'] The coupon hasn't started yet, and they never work on sale items so I wouldn't get too excited.[/QUOTE]

Why is it every time BB has a sale price + coupons, people start running screaming how they don't stack, they never stacked, and they never will stack, despite the fact about 75-90% of BB's coupons over the last year or two HAVE stacked?

They did indeed fix the Price of Persia/Skate 3 issue from the last issue of @Gamer to stack with the sale price-- by like Tuesday the week they were on sale they stacked fine. It was NOT YMMV and did NOT rely on a dumb cashier. Everything scanned at the register. It was obvious that the coupons inititally worked as printed (and raised the price back to MSRP and then deducted the coupon price) but BB corporate fixed the registers to have it give the full amount off the sale price.

Yes, I know it SAYS on the coupon it doesn't stack. But telling all of us who have successfully stacked dozens of deals at Best Buy that we're somehow hallucinating the whole thing is a bit crazy.

I received one of these magazines free in the mail today. Bestbuy wants me to subscribe, not sure that I will. I already have Dragon Quest but the Metroid, Final Fantasy, and Red Dead Redemption coupons are tempting to use.

[quote name='Justin42']Why is it every time BB has a sale price + coupons, people start running screaming how they don't stack, they never stacked, and they never will stack, despite the fact about 75-90% of BB's coupons over the last year or two HAVE stacked?

They did indeed fix the Price of Persia/Skate 3 issue from the last issue of @Gamer to stack with the sale price-- by like Tuesday the week they were on sale they stacked fine. It was NOT YMMV and did NOT rely on a dumb cashier. Everything scanned at the register. It was obvious that the coupons inititally worked as printed (and raised the price back to MSRP and then deducted the coupon price) but BB corporate fixed the registers to have it give the full amount off the sale price.

Yes, I know it SAYS on the coupon it doesn't stack. But telling all of us who have successfully stacked dozens of deals at Best Buy that we're somehow hallucinating the whole thing is a bit crazy.[/QUOTE]

I agree. It's like the same five morons posting in every BB thread that "it will never stack". I can only think of a couple of times when it didn't stack and almost every other time it did. So, other than the fact that the coupon isn't supposed to start until Sunday, there is no reason to think this won't work.

[quote name='Justin42']Why is it every time BB has a sale price + coupons, people start running screaming how they don't stack, they never stacked, and they never will stack, despite the fact about 75-90% of BB's coupons over the last year or two HAVE stacked?

Yes, I know it SAYS on the coupon it doesn't stack. But telling all of us who have successfully stacked dozens of deals at Best Buy that we're somehow hallucinating the whole thing is a bit crazy.[/QUOTE]

Its even crazier when you consider in this very thread people are confirming that the last @gamer coupons stacked. Like back on page 4.

Its also possible the coupon is active atm, even tho the printed date says otherwise. Maybe someone can try it out and confirm?

-

Just got back from Best Buy, the Splinter Cell coupon DID NOT work. The excuse they gave was that the coupon is dated to start on Sunday.

My Best Buy is pretty customer oriented, I got Blur for $10 (coupons) and Bioshock 2 for $20 (TRU price match) over the summer.

Might be worth a try on Sunday if the $19.99 is still the price online. Also, that's what it rang up as at the store.

[quote name='XF Gator']Just got back from Best Buy, the Splinter Cell coupon DID NOT work. The excuse they gave was that the coupon is dated to start on Sunday.

My Best Buy is pretty customer oriented, I got Blur for $10 (coupons) and Bioshock 2 for $20 (TRU price match) over the summer.

Might be worth a try on Sunday if the $19.99 is still the price online. Also, that's what it rang up as at the store.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the heads up. I'll just wait to Sunday to check it out.

Extreme YMMV - Picked up a copy for $5 after using the coupon. If you're lucky the manager will let you use the coupon ahead of time.

[quote name='caMOFOg']Extreme YMMV - Picked up a copy for $5 after using the coupon. If you're lucky the manager will let you use the coupon ahead of time.[/QUOTE]
Lucky get to use the coupon ahead of time and get the coupon to work.!

Went to my store and they were out of the game, they also had magazines that had the coupon ripped out sitting right next to the empty shelf where they game once was.

Sad, really.

Well, with all due respect to those with the conquered attempts of stacking (and your good fortune), don't blame some of us (well, me?) for adhering to the logical idea of reading and comprehending fine print. I was never aware corporate went with a big fat "Nah, let's ignore what we printed for the whole month", and I'm not understanding any condemnation involved of people who did "the moron thing" and figured the fine print meant a damn.

In fact, I'd have felt like a moron walking up to the register and trying to get a sale price discounted when the coupon clearly stated it was disallowed. Whatever, all the better if they stack, but really, I don't get how that is being pitched as common sense, at CAG we are used to catches and fine print. My Best Buy usually shoots that kinda shit out of the sky like anti-aircraft, I didn't even think it worth an attempt.

Ok so I cleared something up today regarding the coupons. The Splinter Cell coupon DOES work, but the barcodes on the back of the coupons are completely mismatched. The barcodes for Splinter Cell is on the back of the Modern Warfare 2 coupon. When the cashier rung the Splinter Cell coupon we both noticed that on the computer it was labeled as a Final Fantasy XIII coupon. Process of elimination eventually led to try the MW2 barcode, which in the computer is labeled as the Splinter Cell one. It did indeed work and let me purchase the game for $5

[quote name='Holden Caulfield']Ok so I cleared something up today regarding the coupons. The Splinter Cell coupon DOES work, but the barcodes on the back of the coupons are completely mismatched. The barcodes for Splinter Cell is on the back of the Modern Warfare 2 coupon. When the cashier rung the Splinter Cell coupon we both noticed that on the computer it was labeled as a Final Fantasy XIII coupon. Process of elimination eventually led to try the MW2 barcode, which in the computer is labeled as the Splinter Cell one. It did indeed work and let me purchase the game for $5[/QUOTE]

Wow, this mag is major fail.
Can the OP be updated with which barcode goes with which game if it is known?
Oh does it work on multiple game copies with one coupon scan?

[quote name='nixmahn']Wow, this mag is major fail.
Can the OP be updated with which barcode goes with which game if it is known?[/QUOTE]

I noticed that too earlier... When I did a price check with the Splinter Cell code, it was Final Fantasy. It dawned on me when I went home that it could've been mismatched. I go into work tomorrow, so I will update the thread with which coupon is which when I get home.

[quote name='Holden Caulfield']When the cashier rung the Splinter Cell coupon we both noticed that on the computer it was labeled as a Final Fantasy XIII coupon.[/QUOTE]
LOL, I guess whoever simply rips out the Splinter Cell coupon will get a discount on ... Final Fantasy XIII?!

Prepare for hilarious stories for the uninformed buyers.

[quote name='BWS1982']Well, with all due respect to those with the conquered attempts of stacking (and your good fortune), don't blame some of us (well, me?) for adhering to the logical idea of reading and comprehending fine print. I was never aware corporate went with a big fat "Nah, let's ignore what we printed for the whole month", and I'm not understanding any condemnation involved of people who did "the moron thing" and figured the fine print meant a damn.

In fact, I'd have felt like a moron walking up to the register and trying to get a sale price discounted when the coupon clearly stated it was disallowed. Whatever, all the better if they stack, but really, I don't get how that is being pitched as common sense, at CAG we are used to catches and fine print. My Best Buy usually shoots that kinda shit out of the sky like anti-aircraft, I didn't even think it worth an attempt.[/QUOTE]

The problem is that you don't have any basis for your claims and by posting misinformation, you cause CAGs who otherwise would have gotten the deal not to get it. If you don't know whether or not something is true, just sit quietly and feel free to read the posts, but don't feel obligated to post yourself. It's really that easy.

Is there a place online to subscribe to the magazine? I can't decide if I want to pull the trigger at $20 online or wait until Sunday and get a consensus on the coupon.

[quote name='bojay1997']The problem is that you don't have any basis for your claims and by posting misinformation, you cause CAGs who otherwise would have gotten the deal not to get it. If you don't know whether or not something is true, just sit quietly and feel free to read the posts, but don't feel obligated to post yourself. It's really that easy.[/QUOTE]

What misinformation? I posted twice, once asking wtf is going on, and the second time clarifying what you just quoted, that reading the fine print is usually common sense so nobody should be faulted for sticking to it. Not once did I partake in the "it won't work, so don't try it" claims, only that that's what the coupon said so it's normal to think it's correct (but apparently Best Buy is willy nilly with fine print and likes some randomness?). What's really easy to me is usually assuming a company has the concept of fine print understood.

Now people are telling tales that involve months of this sort of thing. How nice for those of us who unfortunately didn't know this and were stupid enough to read the damn stipulations and abide by them (yes, I'm bitter about wasting purchase opportunities, so I'm b**ching)...

If you get the magazine at all, I guess get it for the coupons. It's one of the most amateur and painful to get through game magazines I've ever read.

[quote name='Holden Caulfield']Ok so I cleared something up today regarding the coupons. The Splinter Cell coupon DOES work, but the barcodes on the back of the coupons are completely mismatched. The barcodes for Splinter Cell is on the back of the Modern Warfare 2 coupon. When the cashier rung the Splinter Cell coupon we both noticed that on the computer it was labeled as a Final Fantasy XIII coupon. Process of elimination eventually led to try the MW2 barcode, which in the computer is labeled as the Splinter Cell one. It did indeed work and let me purchase the game for $5[/QUOTE]
So the coupon is already active in the system then. Not surprising really.

So if I go to Best Buy today, buy that mag, get the "coop", I'm going to get SC for $5 (technically $11). Damn good deal, I say. Damn good deal! Hear hear! lol.

Just got back from getting an adjustment as I bought the game for $20. I brought the mag up with me, and mentioned that I heard the coupon was working now, and sure enough it did! I didn't have to buy the mag, but I bought it anyway for the Metroid coupon, and I could technically buy another Splinter Cell for a flip.
Anyways, not sure about the misprinting of barcodes. I was prepared to say something about it in case there was a problem, but she scanned the Splinter Cell UPC on the back of the coupon and it worked. Maybe it was a misprinting affecting only so many issues?

Wow Ill have to try and get SC for 5$ (Or 11$). And if the other coupons work on the same games, no need to buy another magazine, then it would be a nice flip to GS since they have it on their Trade 2 for 40$ list. Id like to get just one tho since I traded mine in awhile back, might even pick up Bayonetta as well. Not sure if I want it on 360 or PS3, since I 1000G on 360.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Abeja']Wow Ill have to try and get SC for 5$ (Or 11$). And if the other coupons work on the same games, no need to buy another magazine, then it would be a nice flip to GS since they have it on their Trade 2 for 40$ list. Id like to get just one tho since I traded mine in awhile back, might even pick up Bayonetta as well. Not sure if I want it on 360 or PS3, since I 1000G on 360.[/QUOTE]

You're only allowed to buy 1 copy with the coupon though.

Just one person's opinion, but I would be careful on running out to get the Gamer's magazine subscription just yet. I have only read the first issue, but in it they seemed to infer that there may not always be a bunch of coupons available each issue (could only be a couple). Also, the magazine itself (at least the first issue) felt pretty cookie cutter to me and I don't think its going to step on many toes with its reviews.

^ Everyone here ripped the magazine's first issue for having reviews that were ALL positive and they couldn't come up with legitimate negative things to say about said items. It was like one big ad.

[quote name='Donut2922']You're only allowed to buy 1 copy with the coupon though.[/QUOTE]

That's what it says, true. But we all know how "good" Best Buy is at making sure these coupons work the way they intend lol. Won't really know if you can get the coupon to work on more than one copy until someone tries it and reports back.

[quote name='paulwekiva']Just one person's opinion, but I would be careful on running out to get the Gamer's magazine subscription just yet. I have only read the first issue, but in it they seemed to infer that there may not always be a bunch of coupons available each issue (could only be a couple). Also, the magazine itself (at least the first issue) felt pretty cookie cutter to me and I don't think its going to step on many toes with its reviews.[/QUOTE]

The magazine is only guaranteed to have $20 worth of coupons in each issue. As of right now, Best Buy is sending out a free issue to Gamers Club members in waves. This should continue for a few months, so I assume Best Buy is going to have $100+ worth of coupons in the first couple issues. What happens after they finish rolling out free issues is debatable. I honestly believe the coupon selection 4-5 months from now will consist of 1 or 2 coupons (15 or 20 off a 60 dollar game) They are just adding a lot of coupons now to try to get people to subscribe and then they will cut the coupon savings down. I'm still not sold yet on the whole @Gamer magazine just yet.

Just returned from best buy and I was able to use the splinter cell coupon to purchase SPC for five dollars. The cashier did have to scan the coupon twice but it went through.

Ok the coupon scanned correctly today. I was able to use it ^^. OP is updated with scans of the mag cover and coupons. Apparently you can start using the coupons a day early. I checked the price tag of Splinter Cell and saw that the $20 sale ends on 8/29/10. So not sure if it will be the same price come Monday.

recieptSC0001.jpg

Nice... Not quite for $5, since I had to buy the mag, but $10 for SC is good. I'll move it up in the queue and play it and maybe not lose much trading it back in...

bread's done
Back