SERO - The formerly best cell phone plan (still good deal if you want a Blackberry).

djkunai

Banned
I just got sick of always seeing people asking about what the best cell phone plan is. Hands down, the best rates you could possibly find is SERO (however, coverage is YMMV).

SERO stands for Sprint Employee Referral Offer. Here's what you get
  • Unlimited Text Messaging
  • Unlimited Nights & Weekends starting at 7pm
  • Domestic long distance
  • Unlimited Mobile to Mobile
  • Unlimited Web/Data Access
  • Unlimited Picture Mail (with compatible devices)
500 anytime minutes for $30 / month

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='djkunai']The "free text" has had the expiration date pushed back at least 3 times- it's likely to be the same at the end of the current period (where the expiration date will be pushed back yet again).[/quote]
That makes my decision so much harder. I want this plan with the free texting, but I probably won't be able to pay for the Palm Centro until next week. So I can wait until next week and pray they still offer free texting, or I can do it this week, get a crappy phone, and buy the Palm Centro on eBay later. The decision is killing me.

or! get a crappy phone and use Sprints 30 days to switch phones policy and next week trade your crappy new phone for the centro!

i had no idea that blackberry charged you a bloody fee on top of the SERO plan! so if i wanted a blackberry (which i did) it'd cost me 30 (sprint) + another 30(blackberry)! omg!

i may just have to go for the mogul then...it may cost more in the short run, but in the long run, it may be well justified.

any horror stories or experiences with HTC?

[quote name='homeland']or! get a crappy phone and use Sprints 30 days to switch phones policy and next week trade your crappy new phone for the centro![/quote]

:hot::hot::hot: Will I still get the online price of $150 with the $50 mail in rebate? If so, I'm all over that.

So no one else is using a Touch here? I've been trying out the Centro for the 3 days which I think is great, my only gripe is the keypad, just a little cramped, IMO. As for the Touch I'm probably going to play around with it a little more at the store before I decide.

Just got the phone Moto Qc going to test it tomorrow, have to buy a new mini sd card.Ordered tuesday, and got it today trough USP, fast service, since I live in Puerto Rico, and got me the 30$ 500minutes plan, and will only pay 42$ monthly, great deal!Thanks...OP.

[quote name='prot0type']So no one else is using a Touch here? I've been trying out the Centro for the 3 days which I think is great, my only gripe is the keypad, just a little cramped, IMO. As for the Touch I'm probably going to play around with it a little more at the store before I decide.[/quote]

I had this problem with my Treo 680. I was thinking of getting the Rumor, as I've had an LG slide phone before, and I really liked it. But then again, I'm also a huge nerd, so I need my technology. :roll:

Also, I seen a guy using the touch one day. It looked pretty cool, but not really my style. I think the fact that I have to touch everything rather than using buttons would really annoy me. But on the plus side, the screen is a lot bigger.

Anyway, if you do get the Touch, post here to say whether you like the Touch or Centro better.

I tried using my friend's # as a referral, and everything seemed to go OK. However using the referral status page, it says that my number isn't associated with a referral. Did you have any troubles with that?

[quote name='thecurrybot5000']I tried using my friend's # as a referral, and everything seemed to go OK. However using the referral status page, it says that my number isn't associated with a referral. Did you have any troubles with that?[/quote]

my brother used me as a refferal and is listed as such. Also I used the OP's number as my referral and it is listed as such

Is there a "Song I.D." feature on any of these Sprint phones? It's that thing where you hold a phone up and scan a few seconds of recorded music, and it identifies the song. I have that feature with Verizon right now and I really like it. And there's no charge for the service, it just uses airtime like a phone call would. Anything comparable on Sprint?

Just what to share with people what was included in my SERO plan, except for the total eq.
Your order consisted of the following items: Package 1 Qty: 1 Phone Price/Each Total MOTQ9CKIT 249.99 249.99 Rate Plan Price/Each Total Exclusive Referral Offer 500 0.0 0.00 Services Price/Each Total America - Roaming Included Included Included Caller ID Included Included EVDO Service Included Included Domestic LD Rate $0 Included Included Picture Mail Service Included Included Fair and Flexible Minutes Included Included SMS Text Messages Included Included Anytime Minutes Included Included Long Distance While Roaming Included Included Data Usage Included Included Mobile To Mobile Minutes Included Included Video Mail Included Included Enhanced VoiceMail Included Included FF1078RC - Prov soc Included Included Included Included Total Equipment Protection Included Included Included Included Accessories Qty Price/Each Total 1 0.0 0.00

[quote name='BustaUppa']Is there a "Song I.D." feature on any of these Sprint phones? It's that thing where you hold a phone up and scan a few seconds of recorded music, and it identifies the song. I have that feature with Verizon right now and I really like it. And there's no charge for the service, it just uses airtime like a phone call would. Anything comparable on Sprint?[/QUOTE]

It looks like depending on which phone you get there are ways to add that Song ID functionality:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=bjsZGb08nv0

Is this plan for employees only, cause I am calling asking if, seeing if I can add another line, or plan, and the guy keeps telling me, that it is only for sprint employees, what is wrong here?

[quote name='hcamacho']Is this plan for employees only, cause I am calling asking if, seeing if I can add another line, or plan, and the guy keeps telling me, that it is only for sprint employees, what is wrong here?[/quote]

You have to be referred by a Sprint employee I think. But if you use the email on the first page, it works just the same. This is probably an online deal only.

[quote name='Access_Denied']You have to be referred by a Sprint employee I think. But if you use the email on the first page, it works just the same. This is probably an online deal only.[/QUOTE]

Because the way the customer service representative talked, was like it was only for sprint employees....

[quote name='hcamacho']Because the way the customer service representative talked, was like it was only for sprint employees....[/QUOTE]

They didn't know what they were talking about, par for the course for Sprint CS.

It's an employee referral offer, anybody can sign up.

[quote name='prot0type']So no one else is using a Touch here? I've been trying out the Centro for the 3 days which I think is great, my only gripe is the keypad, just a little cramped, IMO. As for the Touch I'm probably going to play around with it a little more at the store before I decide.[/QUOTE]

I have the Touch, what do you want to know?

My biggest gripe has to do with Windows mobile, which is a problem not exclusive to the Touch.

my wife has the Centro, I have the 755p. They are the same phone, besides the 755p being bigger with a easier keyboard to type with and the Centro comes with Sudoku and the 755p comes with bejeweled. Honestly I have pretty fat fingers and after playing with my wifes phone the smaller keyboard really is a little harder but isn't to bad. Especially at $100 less. Alot of people really like the q9c, but i'm so in love with the touch screen that as much as I want a windows running OS I'm probably going to trade in my 755p to get the Centro.

So, yesterday I finally bit, and went in on this deal. I had to borrow the $150 deposit from my aunt. And, lucky me, the only free phone that they had was pink. So, I'm a guy with a pink phone. :| Hopefully after my first paycheck I can pay back my aunt and exchange the phone. (I get 30 days from activation to do it.)

Also, the URANG code didn't work, so I emailed customer support after I ordered. I'll see what they say.

[quote name='Ugamer_X']I have the Touch, what do you want to know?

My biggest gripe has to do with Windows mobile, which is a problem not exclusive to the Touch.[/quote]

I guess I was more concerned with the qwerty interface more than anything and how responsive it is.

Personally, I'm getting more and more accustomed to the Centro, cramped keypad and all. And I do save around $150 or so. I guess I can wait for the new phones HTC will have soon.

[quote name='prot0type']I guess I was more concerned with the qwerty interface more than anything and how responsive it is.

Personally, I'm getting more and more accustomed to the Centro, cramped keypad and all. And I do save around $150 or so. I guess I can wait for the new phones HTC will have soon.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I'd say there aren't too many reasons to pay the extra $150 for Touch. The biggest thing it has going for it is its size, which makes it way more comfortable/smaller than most other pocketPCs. The speed of the touch is pretty good compared to other Windows phones too. The keyboard is something you have to get used to and you have to download 3rd party keyboards in order to find a decent one.

I'm currently using it for a 30 day period and I'm thinking of returning it. The battery can drain quickly and Windows Mobile glitches to often (especially with the time). But it's overall a decent phone and it does the best it can with Windows.

Just FYI...it's now June 1st, and all plans still show unlimited text messaging.

Didn't the website previously state that was a special promotion only thru May 31st???

[quote name='jpw21683']Just FYI...it's now June 1st, and all plans still show unlimited text messaging.

Didn't the website previously state that was a special promotion only thru May 31st???[/quote]

I signed up in January, and the free txt off was supposed to expire 2-14. It's constantly renewed.

[quote name='rvdrock']Too bad they would run a credit check...that puts me out...LOL[/quote]

I've read that people with bad credit just have to pay some of their bill upfront.. maybe I'm remembering incorrectly. But if u have the money and want the plan that might be an option for you.

[quote name='assassinX']Does Sprint have good coverage?[/QUOTE]

I believe so...Anyway, if u are not satisfied with the service u have 30 days, to cancel the service agreement, so you only would loose the shipping and maybe a few hundreds....that's your call.

Just ordered a Palm Centro with the $30 plan. My ATT just expired so this is perfect timing. Special thanks to homeland! I'll update once everything is in my hands and functioning.

PM me if anyone needs a referral phone number, I'll gladly help out (should be up and running by Friday June 5).

Is there anyway to get a bigger list of phones when i click on any of the plans i just get a small list of like 8 phones and i dont want any of them.

[quote name='hcamacho']How many referrals phone numbers can one give out?How exactly does it works..?[/quote]

It works like this. When you initially sign up for sprint you dial #733 and follow the directions. I think its option 2 to enter the phone number of the person who referred you. Each of you will get the Visa gift debit card of $25.

After that each person you refer will have to doth the steps of dialing #733 and entering your phone number. You won't have to do nothing except for wait for your money.

I've read the most you can get a year is $300 so thats:

1x being referred
11x referring

Also about, the data plan, can I use my phone as a modem?There is a program called pdanet that allows the use of it, like a modem.The speeds are at 1.2mb .Not bad for air conection, but is it legal, I called sprint, and the CSR , said that for using the phone as modem, I have to pay 35$ monthly, is that true.Then the program is now legal at all, any answers would be apreciated.And yes the program is one that has to be bought for use.

[quote name='homeland']Yes you can, it is legal. Just don't abuse it. Remember they just imposed a 5gb a month cap.[/QUOTE]

This issue must be clarified, because first I called the english language customer service, and after that called the spanish language customer service, and both times, they told me it was an extra plan, for using the phone as modem, this must be clarified,ASAP.....Alson if anyone need a referral phone number PM, me.

[quote name='hcamacho']This issue must be clarified, because first I called the english language customer service, and after that called the spanish language customer service, and both times, they told me it was an extra plan, for using the phone as modem, this must be clarified,ASAP.....Alson if anyone need a referral phone number PM, me.[/quote]

Ok just read various forums. Not sure it is legit now. but! Sprint doesn't seem to care as long as you keep it to just surfing, i.e don't go using bitorrent or newsgroups. And when they do care, they send you a letter telling you to stop it.

[quote name='Switchblade232']quick question: Can you have a family SERO plan? If so how much?[/quote]

There is no sero family plan. You can get each line put on t he same bill though.

[quote name='Raikoh']Will the instinct be usable for this plan? I'm wondering if it'd be worth it then.[/quote]

It should be but I haven't heard that the Instict would be available right away though. It comes out the 20th.

[quote name='hcamacho']Also about, the data plan, can I use my phone as a modem?There is a program called pdanet that allows the use of it, like a modem.The speeds are at 1.2mb .Not bad for air conection, but is it legal, I called sprint, and the CSR , said that for using the phone as modem, I have to pay 35$ monthly, is that true.Then the program is now legal at all, any answers would be apreciated.And yes the program is one that has to be bought for use.[/QUOTE]
Some of the phones have a tether option. I just got the Q9c and it was a piece of cake to hook it up to my laptop and use it for internet access. There was a section to enable it under options.

I wish the SERO plan showed unlimited text/data when you check it online. I guess I just have to have faith that they won't dick me over when my bill comes.

[quote name='dyeknom']I wish the SERO plan showed unlimited text/data when you check it online. I guess I just have to have faith that they won't dick me over when my bill comes.[/quote]

I know for sure that data is unlimited. The website states that the unlimited text was good untill May 31st.

bread's done
Back