SERO - The formerly best cell phone plan (still good deal if you want a Blackberry).

djkunai

Banned
I just got sick of always seeing people asking about what the best cell phone plan is. Hands down, the best rates you could possibly find is SERO (however, coverage is YMMV).

SERO stands for Sprint Employee Referral Offer. Here's what you get
  • Unlimited Text Messaging
  • Unlimited Nights & Weekends starting at 7pm
  • Domestic long distance
  • Unlimited Mobile to Mobile
  • Unlimited Web/Data Access
  • Unlimited Picture Mail (with compatible devices)
500 anytime minutes for $30 / month

Last edited by a moderator:
Anyone know if their coverage is decent on Long Island? The only reason I'm sticking it out with Verizon's high cost is because their coverage - at least on L.I. - is excellent. I don't want to switch only to find out that I hate it as much as I used to hate Cingular

[quote name='AlphakirA']Anyone know if their coverage is decent on Long Island? The only reason I'm sticking it out with Verizon's high cost is because their coverage - at least on L.I. - is excellent. I don't want to switch only to find out that I hate it as much as I used to hate Cingular[/quote]

http://coverage.sprintpcs.com/IMPACT.jsp That will help you.

I'm checking my order status and they've given me a tracking number now. Where do I go to to actually check the tracking though?

Also I couldn't get any of those $50 off coupon codes to work; any chance I can call and get it to work after the phone arrives?

heheh I'm gettin all antsy here, it's weird having NO phone. I didn't realize Verizon would be cancelling my service RIGHT AWAY when I called, so I'm in phone limbo until my Centro arrives!

[quote name='BustaUppa']I'm checking my order status and they've given me a tracking number now. Where do I go to to actually check the tracking though?

Also I couldn't get any of those $50 off coupon codes to work; any chance I can call and get it to work after the phone arrives?

heheh I'm gettin all antsy here, it's weird having NO phone. I didn't realize Verizon would be cancelling my service RIGHT AWAY when I called, so I'm in phone limbo until my Centro arrives![/quote]

The tracking is through UPS. Give it a day though, as the tracking number didn't register until the day before I got my phone. People on other forums have stated that Sprint is no longer taking $50 codes, but when you call to activate your phone you can always try while your talking to the CSR.

Question, would I be able to bring over my old phone from Verizon and use it on this plan? I have a Razr V3m, one of the phones listed as available for the plan. But then I would probably have to go to a sprint store to get the software, right?

This plan sounds amazing, unlimited text, picture, web, data, etc? You have me sold (Maybe).

[quote name='neverletthem']Question, would I be able to bring over my old phone from Verizon and use it on this plan?

This plan sounds amazing, unlimited text, picture, web, data, etc? You have me sold (Maybe).[/quote]

No u gotta get a new phone.

looks like the phone arrived at my parents' place tonight (Sprint only seems to ship to your BILLING address, "for security reasons"). Gonna swing by there tomorrow morning on my way to work. I can't wait to get started with SERO and my new Palm Centro!!!

have fun. I suggest, if u want to have a mp3 as your ringtone to first get a micro sd card. and second download a program onto ur phone called minitones. PalmOs doesn't allow you to do this, but this program is free, and really easy. Just pick the song and tell it to add it to your ringtone list.

OMG I want this! Can't come Quick enough!!

htc-touch-pro-side-closed-open-qwerty-keyboard.jpg

the specs:
s WiFi, HSPA with a solid 7.2Mbps on the downstream, Bluetooth, 2.8-inch VGA display, Windows Mobile 6.1 featuring HTC's TouchFLO 3D interface, a 3.2 megapixel camera, a half gig of ROM, and 288MB of RAM

just started messing around with my new phone (palm centro)! any sneaky charges I should be aware of before I start messing with the online features? Like with Verizon - you could do email using the web application, but if you used the built-in email feature it was considered a whole separate service that carried an additional charge. Anything like that I should be aware of with Sprint? I'd like to use AIM but I'll steer clear if that's some kind of premium service.

[quote name='BustaUppa']just started messing around with my new phone (palm centro)! any sneaky charges I should be aware of before I start messing with the online features? Like with Verizon - you could do email using the web application, but if you used the built-in email feature it was considered a whole separate service that carried an additional charge. Anything like that I should be aware of with Sprint? I'd like to use AIM but I'll steer clear if that's some kind of premium service.[/quote]

I'm not sure, but my cousin has Sprint, and he got charged for using the Bluetooth on his phone. (Or so he says.) Can anybody confirm this? (If so, I'm returning my phone as soon as it gets here.)

[quote name='Access_Denied']I'm not sure, but my cousin has Sprint, and he got charged for using the Bluetooth on his phone. (Or so he says.) Can anybody confirm this? (If so, I'm returning my phone as soon as it gets here.)[/QUOTE]I doubt it since Bluetooth would most likely be handled by the device itself, completely independent of the service provider. After Verizon cut off my service I could still use my Bluetooth headset with the old Verizon phone (for mp3s and stuff).

Ok well I think I am going to do this for sure now. I am on my 5th Razr (since summer 06) and it just messed up too. I am only under contract until mid July so I might just switch to Sprint now and stop using Cingular. I do have a few questions though..

1) First off I am looking at the MOTO Q™ 9c. Is this a pretty good phone? If not any other suggestions? I know it says it has the internet and such, will I be able to use all of these features with the $30 plan? Does this mean I can log on to the web browser and surf the net, use AIM, send texts, etc all for $30 a month? I saw somewhere it said text messaging ended May 31 but the site still shows unlimited text.

2) I will be living in SE Ohio for 3 months starting in September. When I look at the coverage map for this area, Nextel coverage is "best" but Spring coverage says "Sprint coverage - quality measures not available." Does this mean I won't get any signal for these 3 months?

3) Lastly, approximately how long will it take to get the phone if I signed up today? I will need it to be delivered by the 13th because I move to Cleveland the 14th for the summer.

If anyone can answer these questions it would be greatly appreciated. I am just fed up with Cingular/Razr phones and since I only have a month left anyway I'd like to switch to Sprint now. Thanks in advance!

1) Not sure about the phone, but I'm looking into switching to it before my 30 day window closes. Seems to be alot more 3rd party support for windows mobile phones. Yes unlimited data for $30 means unlimited web and the various IM.

2) dont know

3) if you ordered your phone today, you should have the phone by Friday. They ship the phone Next day delivery from UPS

[quote name='Staind204']3) Lastly, approximately how long will it take to get the phone if I signed up today? I will need it to be delivered by the 13th because I move to Cleveland the 14th for the summer.[/QUOTE]I signed up on Saturday (LATE Saturday, like right before midnight) and my phone arrived Tuesday evening. I'm in Long Island.

Do we need to have a real sprint email when we check out?

I noticed it had this on the last page of check out.
Or will the email on the first post work?

The additional information is required to complete your online purchase.
* Sprint Nextel Employee's Business E-mail Address

[quote name='fireburnerr']Do we need to have a real sprint email when we check out?

I noticed it had this on the last page of check out.
Or will the email on the first post work?

The additional information is required to complete your online purchase.
* Sprint Nextel Employee's Business E-mail Address[/QUOTE]

IIRC, use [email protected] there as well.

[quote name='BustaUppa']just started messing around with my new phone (palm centro)! any sneaky charges I should be aware of before I start messing with the online features? Like with Verizon - you could do email using the web application, but if you used the built-in email feature it was considered a whole separate service that carried an additional charge. Anything like that I should be aware of with Sprint? I'd like to use AIM but I'll steer clear if that's some kind of premium service.[/QUOTE]

The two email programs (Sprint Mobile Email and Palm's Versamail) are included and free to use.

If you want to set up versamail to work with a school or corporate email, it's a pain in the ass to get the outgoing mail to work. If you do, PM me and I'll tell you where to find the settings (atleast with IMAP or POP3; not sure about EAS).

[quote name='BustaUppa']just started messing around with my new phone (palm centro)! any sneaky charges I should be aware of before I start messing with the online features? Like with Verizon - you could do email using the web application, but if you used the built-in email feature it was considered a whole separate service that carried an additional charge. Anything like that I should be aware of with Sprint? I'd like to use AIM but I'll steer clear if that's some kind of premium service.[/QUOTE]

The two email programs (Sprint Mobile Email and Palm's Versamail) are included and free to use.

If you want to set up versamail to work with a school or corporate email, it's a pain in the ass to get the outgoing mail to work. If you do, PM me and I'll tell you where to find the settings (atleast with IMAP or POP3; not sure about EAS).

[quote name='Access_Denied']Will they leave the phone at the door if no one is home?[/quote]

Yes. Well at least they did that for my brother.

[quote name='dyeknom']I wish the SERO plan showed unlimited text/data when you check it online. I guess I just have to have faith that they won't dick me over when my bill comes.[/quote]

I confirmed with my Sprint CS agent that my plan does indeed include unlimited text and data. :applause: It showed up in my plan when I was purchasing the phone from the Sprint store as well. Rest easy my friend.

So let's see here... I'm going to be a first-time cell phone customer and I need to find phones for my family (all 3 of us).

I was planning on getting the Samsung Instinct from Sprint if I went ahead with this, but I'd like to know a few things first.

1) I'm going to be at college this fall... would it be a better idea to use my home or school zip code for my plan (family would have theirs at home, of course)?

2) Is there somewhere I can go to find out all the discounts and bonuses I can get with this plan (or should I just dig through the thread again)?

3) Anything else that would be helpful?

Thanks guys, I appreciate the help. If this doesn't pan out it's off to AT&T or Verizon, but I'd like to explore my options here first.

1) It really doesn't matter. The only way it would matter if is your going to school i na different state and they have lower state taxes on cell phones. I just have an ebill, save a tree.

2) There really isn't many discounts, it seems that Sprint has shut down on discounts. There were several around that you can try. 50back or Urang both give you $50 off your first bill

3) One thing you might want to do to take advantage of the referral program by doing this..
Sign up one account wait a week, have one of your family members order their phone, have the 2nd phone being referred by the first phone, and then do the same thing for the third phone. make a combined $150.

[quote name='BustaUppa']Are you using "minutes" when you browse the web? Or does it only incur DATA usage (unlimited in our lucky case)?[/quote]

It goes under vision data

How well is there coverage when it is marked as "Roaming" on the coverage map? Also will that incur other charges?

There are no extra charges when roaming

[quote name='Ub3rChief']I was planning on getting the Samsung Instinct from Sprint if I went ahead with this, but I'd like to know a few things first.[/QUOTE]

From what I've read, many people seem to think that the Instinct will not be available for the SERO plan.

for those who ported over a phone number, how long did it take? I got my Sprint phone on Wednesday and I'm still on a temporary number. I don't really wanna start calling people until I've got my old number working!

EDIT: Another, stupider question... I got a Palm Centro and I have no idea how to shut it off. Any help? If I hold the power button it just turns the "phone" off (disables Sprint network) but the device itself is still on.

i just signed up and got my new Mogul :) but that newer phone by HTC looks pretty nice too. what model is it? (from the previous page)

is it too late to apply for the "URAG" or "50off" promotions? or do I just call customer service and ask for those codes to be added?

thanks ^^

[quote name='supermodestmouse']i just signed up and got my new Mogul :) but that newer phone by HTC looks pretty nice too. what model is it? (from the previous page)

is it too late to apply for the "URAG" or "50off" promotions? or do I just call customer service and ask for those codes to be added?

thanks ^^[/QUOTE]

That would be the HTC Raphael. I Hear you can email sprint with those promotion codes and get them added to your next bill.

[quote name='BustaUppa']for those who ported over a phone number, how long did it take? I got my Sprint phone on Wednesday and I'm still on a temporary number. I don't really wanna start calling people until I've got my old number working!

EDIT: Another, stupider question... I got a Palm Centro and I have no idea how to shut it off. Any help? If I hold the power button it just turns the "phone" off (disables Sprint network) but the device itself is still on.[/quote]

it took just a few hours to port.

I don't think the phone actually turns off. Its either phone on or hold down the power button and it turns off the phone service for "plane mode"

[quote name='BustaUppa']for those who ported over a phone number, how long did it take? I got my Sprint phone on Wednesday and I'm still on a temporary number. I don't really wanna start calling people until I've got my old number working!

EDIT: Another, stupider question... I got a Palm Centro and I have no idea how to shut it off. Any help? If I hold the power button it just turns the "phone" off (disables Sprint network) but the device itself is still on.[/quote]

The phone doesn't turn off unless you take the battery out. You can just put it in 'Sleep' mode. And even when you take out the battery, it turns on when you put it back in.

ahhh thanks, just called and it seems my number has officially been changed now! Only thing is I can't get texts to send yet. I get some "error 97" message. If it's still like this in an hour i'll try calling Sprint again to see what's up. EDIT: called CS, apparently removing my battery and re-inserting it again fixed the problem!

[quote name='VipFREAK']Well if that's the case they better have an instinct to know they'll have at least one less customer or more...[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I'll be disappointed if they don't allow it, but the deal is more important than the phone to me, especially since they have other good phones available.

[quote name='Access_Denied']The phone doesn't turn off unless you take the battery out. You can just put it in 'Sleep' mode. And even when you take out the battery, it turns on when you put it back in.[/QUOTE]Ahaaa, thanks for the clarification! This also seems to have fixed my texting problem and I can now get messages out. Good show!

Now that I got my number successfully ported, I'm gonna start getting into the nitty gritty of the features here. Fun!!!

So what's the deal with "VersaMail" and "Sprint Mobile Email" on Palm Centro? Any charge for using those as opposed to just web email? It's not like you set up an email account with Sprint or anything... you would just use those applications to access an existing email account. Still, I wanna play it safe and make sure there aren't any charges that fall outside the scope of SERO.

[quote name='BustaUppa']Now that I got my number successfully ported, I'm gonna start getting into the nitty gritty of the features here. Fun!!!

So what's the deal with "VersaMail" and "Sprint Mobile Email" on Palm Centro? Any charge for using those as opposed to just web email? It's not like you set up an email account with Sprint or anything... you would just use those applications to access an existing email account. Still, I wanna play it safe and make sure there aren't any charges that fall outside the scope of SERO.[/quote]

It says unlimited data, and I'm pretty sure VersaMail counts as data.

Anyway, I got my phone today, and it didn't activate like it should have. Called customer support, nothing. Guy didn't speak English, so I hung up while I was on hold. I drive to the Sprint store, no go there either. Says he didn't have the info needed. After another 30 minutes with customer support, I finally got it.

While I was at the Sprint Store, I checked out the phones. (As I'm upgrading from the crappy free one they have me.) The Palm Centro's keyboard is WAY to small for me. It'll be impossible to text. So I'm going to go with the LG rumor. Might pick it up later this week, I'll see.

no extra fees for the mail service. Honestly can't think of what extra charges could be incured except going over the 500 mins.and did u see the treo 755p? its what I have now ands the same as the centro but bigger keyboard to type on (using the phone to type this post, its so easy to type)

[quote name='homeland']no extra fees for the mail service. Honestly can't think of what extra charges could be incured except going over the 500 mins.and did u see the treo 755p? its what I have now ands the same as the centro but bigger keyboard to type on (using the phone to type this post, its so easy to type)[/quote]

I had the the Treo 680 before this, (same exact phone) and I still found it hard to type. My fingers are just too big. (Even though I think I have small hands for a 17 year old guy.) I didn't really mess with either phone very much. I think I'm going to go back this weekend and use the phone for 15 minutes or so. Maybe browse the web. I'll see how I like it. But then again, ANYTHING is better than a phone without a full keyboard. It's frikin' impossible for me to text like this. :bomb:

EDIT: I just switched to an eBill rather than paper, and got a $5 credit on my next bill. This is on top of my $25 credit. My second bill is going to be like $6. :D

Okay, guys. After about 6 people asking for my number for the referral bonus, I finally got 1 confirmation from Sprint that they are sending me the card in 6 - 8 weeks.

I'm not sure how many of you actually did sign up and use my number, but make sure to do the #REF thing too. Free $50 just by doing it. Like I said, this is the first and only confirmation I've had so far.

think it's safe to go jogging with a Palm Centro? I have an armband holder that I could use. Since it doesn't have moving parts (e.g. spinning hard drive) it should be fine, right?

I'm gonna start loading up an SD card with some music to run to... but I also just realized that i can get Internet radio on this thing! this deal gets crazier all the time!

bread's done
Back