Shin Megami Devil Summoner $8.99 used at Gamestop/EB

[quote name='LilPaintballer']wow i wanted this one badly, id rather buy it new though[/quote]The "new" copy at my local store is in worse condition than many other used games. And strangely it's more plentiful new than used. If it were in-stock at one of my nearby stores I'd probably grab it for that price just to wrap up my SMT PS2 collection.

[quote name='Strider Turbulence']Now that I think about it, I think this might be part of the 50% off sale. If so, hopefully this means more titles will be added to it.[/QUOTE]
Excellent point. 8.99 matches up to half off of 17.99.

[quote name='Strider Turbulence']Now that I think about it, I think this might be part of the 50% off sale. If so, hopefully this means more titles will be added to it.[/quote]

nope this dropped about a week ago because that's when I snatched a copy up from my local store

[quote name='buckythekat']nope this dropped about a week ago because that's when I snatched a copy up from my local store[/QUOTE]

It's been 8.99 even longer than that. I'd say it's been nearly a month, as I've been checking my local store's inventory PRAYING they get a copy in.

This is an INCREDIBLY underrated game. If you even remotely have interest in the genre, it's a must own.

[quote name='darkslime']What exactly do you do in this game. Someone told me that its not an RPG like the other SMT games...[/QUOTE]

I played very little of it, but its a action RPG, similar to Dark Cloud/Rouge Galaxy, but I only played a few minutes. Seemed boring to me, but I had just played Rouge Galaxy and Kingdom Hearts 2.

The one at my Gamestop is pretty beat up, but maybe I'll go for it and print a new cover. Does Atlus still send out manuals and covers for games on request? They used to be really good about it.

[quote name='RaidenMGS3']It's been 8.99 even longer than that. I'd say it's been nearly a month, as I've been checking my local store's inventory PRAYING they get a copy in.

This is an INCREDIBLY underrated game. If you even remotely have interest in the genre, it's a must own.[/QUOTE]

ah, okay. I thought it was recent drop.

Good game, a lot weaker depth wise than other SMT games from what I've played, but well worth that price if you're an SMT nut.

i loved diablo, which is similar to an action rpg, per-say. i have rouge galaxy and love it, i saw the Gametrailer review for this and looks great for 8.99

Edit- SMT Series and BLuedragon are the only turn based rpgs i like.

[quote name='darkslime']What exactly do you do in this game. Someone told me that its not an RPG like the other SMT games...[/quote]

I'd say that of the SMT games, DS is most like P3. The biggest differences being that DS doesn't have the social links and DS is an action-RPG.

In DS You capture pokemons/demons (instead of forming social links with them like in P3). You then use the demon's special abilities to progress through the game.

Some demons can force NPCs to divulge needed information, others can find hidden clues/locations, still others can help you get past obstacles blocking you way. E.g., in order to open a locked door you might use a flying demon to fly across a river to the other side of a door to unlock it or you might use a fire demon to break through an ice barrier blocking the door, etc.

The captured demons are also used as AI-controlled allies during battles (basically they are like the student AIs in P3). Battles are real time and your party consists of the main character plus one demon. You control the main character. He uses a sword and a gun and can give limited instructions to the AI-controlled pokemon.

Be warned, there are a lot of random battles in this game. Also it seemed a lot easier to fuse good abilities into the demons in DS then in the other SMT games -- this made the game easier than the other SMT games. DS is also shorter and has a more light-hearted tone than the other SMT games.

[quote name='forumreader']The one at my Gamestop is pretty beat up, but maybe I'll go for it and print a new cover. Does Atlus still send out manuals and covers for games on request? They used to be really good about it.[/QUOTE]

I did this a year ago for Rivera and I had to pay a few bucks for shipping but they sent me the book and a bunch of sampler CD's

I just picked this up from a local Gamestop. They had it marked as "New" even though the case was beat up a little.

More importantly, the box was double tagged regarding the price, having both $19.99 and $9.99 stickers. After checking, it ended up ringing up at $9.99. Probably YMMV, but it was a welcome surprise.

[quote name='Juese']Got mine new in the wrap without the usual GS butchering for 10 bucks, right on.[/quote][quote name='chuckx47']I just picked this up from a local Gamestop. They had it marked as "New" even though the case was beat up a little.

More importantly, the box was double tagged regarding the price, having both $19.99 and $9.99 stickers. After checking, it ended up ringing up at $9.99. Probably YMMV, but it was a welcome surprise.[/quote]
Does your receipt show it as a new copy for $9.99? (not even sure how the receipts list used anymore, they used to preface it with "PO-")

I'd probably take the horribly beaten-up new copy at my local store for $10 rather than driving for a likely equally beaten up used copy farther away.

Found a copy at a local Gamestop that had no manual. Turns out, the manager is a collector and called around to all Gamestops in the area to find a manual. He arranged to meet with one of the other managers later in the week and told me that I could come by and pick up the manual once he had it.

This is easily my favorite Gamestop now.

[quote name='botticus']Bumping to confirm $9.99 for new copies. Copy at my store wasn't as bad as I had recalled, so I got mine.[/quote]

I found the same this past weekend. I was actually going to GS to find a used copy for $8.99. What a good surprise to find it GS-new for $9.99.

My receipt didn't have the "PO" or any mention of it being new. It reads:

Shin Megami Tense 9.99
281569 028/000

Also, I took the $9.99-labelled, no-disc, heavily-fingerprinted, greasy case + manual to the front so I could check the disc condition. She took the case from me and handed me another. The 2nd game case had a sticker on it that said $39.99. The 2nd case really looked new as did the manual. I checked the disc and it was perfect. She asked me if everything was OK and I nodded. Then, she smiled and said, "Not every Gamestop treats their games like crap."

[quote name='Armenius']Closest place is 30 minutes away, gah![/QUOTE]

Well if you don't feel like driving, the cheapest eBay price is $22 shipped lately it seems.

So, after taxes that means if your spending $10 or more to drive there and back I wouldn't bother. If It's less, then I would say go for it. Plus call in advance to see if its in complete condition, otherwise don't bother.

[quote name='Monsta Mack']Well if you don't feel like driving, the cheapest eBay price is $22 shipped lately it seems.

So, after taxes that means if your spending $10 or more to drive there and back I wouldn't bother. If It's less, then I would say go for it. Plus call in advance to see if its in complete condition, otherwise don't bother.[/quote]

I have far too much of a backlog anyhow, but I would jump on this in a minute if it were closer.

So do I. I heard the game gets annoying from the constant random battles, but the story is good. Considering It's made by Atlus and has Shin Megami Tensei in it's name, I don't see it getting any cheaper so I'll bite.

Only crappy Atlus RPG I ever bought anyways was Magna Carte.

[quote name='Monsta Mack']So do I. I heard the game gets annoying from the constant random battles, but the story is good. Considering It's made by Atlus and has Shin Megami Tensei in it's name, I don't see it getting any cheaper so I'll bite.

Only crappy Atlus RPG I ever bought anyways was Magna Carte.[/quote]

Well, Atlus is just a publisher, but I've never played a bad SMT game for sure ;P

I found one at a local Gamestop New, I called and he said they had it, I went their, I asked if its sealed he said yes over the phone, I got their and I see the shittiest seal job I ever seen (tons of air in it and like a foot of extra plastic). I open it and the manuel is torn a little, and disc have finger prints all over it (no scratches)

I ask him I thought it was sealed, he said "oh yea it wasent but I figure I seal it for you before you got here" lol, anyhow only $1 difference between new and used so no biggie

[quote name='Poor2More']anyhow only $1 difference between new and used so no biggie[/quote]

I thought new was $19.99 and used was $8.99???

Well i just found a very butchered copy of it. It was labeled new, yet the box seems to have been through hell on that shelf. There were about 10 layers of price labels, one on top of each other. Yet, this is the cheapest i can get this game so i paid 10$ =\.

bread's done
Back