Shipwreck’s Guide To Half-Priced Xbox Live Arcade Games and Marketplace Content

Update: Be careful with Mass Effect 3. If you start a game on a system that has FROM ASHES dlc, you cannot move the save to another Xbox unless you buy FROM ASHES for your account.

Example: My wife bought Collector's ME3 (with FROM ASHES). I started a game on same Xbox. I then tried to play my ME3 on our other Xbox, but I kept getting "missing FROM ASHES" error. I even logged into her Live account and re-downloaded FROM ASHES. I can't wait for the new systems to be digital only/sarcasm!

ps, when I contacted EA/Origin/Bioware, their "fix" was for me to buy FROM ASHES on my account...haha. No more EA games for this guy.

The Walking Dead appears to not function right with this method, as saving your progress will be disabled.

I bought this on my brothers system(gamertag on memory card to move it back and fourth, no account recoveries or anything like that). I played half the game and died, only to realize my progress wasn't saved and I had to start over. Basically, when the game first starts up, it checks to verify that you bought it, and that it's the original hardware you bought it on. If it is, it asks you to select your storage device for saving. If it's not the same system, this step is bypassed, and you're never allowed to select your storage device, thus not saving your progress. Since the game only saves automatically, and there's no option to manually save your progress at all, your only option is to beat it in one sitting without dying(which isn't as bad as it sounds). The problem there is, you won't have a save to transfer into episode 2 next month.(will it even let you play ep. 2 without playing 1 first?)

If anyone finds a workaround, let me know.

edit: I also started up a game on my brothers console, after moving my profile back over there, and everything worked fine. I saved the game to the memory card, then put my profile back on my console. The game on my console would not show any save progress still, either off the memory card, or from the hard drive after I tried moving the save there. I haven't tried saving the game to the cloud, but I assume it won't work either. The game seems to immediately recognize that this isn't the original console, and automatically shuts off any access to saves/storage devices.

Last edited by a moderator:
Walking Dead Seems to be working for my son and I.
He purchased it using my profile on his console.
I've downloaded it to mine.

The prompt for save location did not come up until my second time loading the game tho.

EDIT: and today i get to start over. Does not load my save from last night.
Guess I will buy the remaining eps on Steam when they go on sale, if at all.

One thing to note, my son's xbox was offline due to flooding in his apartment.
I am waiting to hear back from him if he got back online today.

Finally got around to trying this. Did the method without the mem or sd card. Now me and my brother both own Minecraft. I used the code from the Best Buy kiosk. Technically they are both both my X-Boxes so it's only fair.

Starting with Halo 4, or maybe just extra DRM security by 343i, content is only tied to your account and not your console now.

[quote name='zewone']Starting with Halo 4, or maybe just extra DRM security by 343i, content is only tied to your account and not your console now.[/QUOTE]Thanks for this. I was wondering if it would work with Halo 4. Is there a way Microsoft can retroactively attach this extra layer of DRM security to content on the Live Marketplace released before Halo 4? Or is it safe to assume that this option will not be viable from this point forward?

Would someone mind explaining to me how license transfers work? I have a new HD and was wondering if the stuff I DLed on my buddy's account will transfer or not

[quote name='Fulluvial']Would someone mind explaining to me how license transfers work? I have a new HD and was wondering if the stuff I DLed on my buddy's account will transfer or not[/QUOTE]

The license transfer you do on their website is for your account only. I'm assuming that's what you're talking about and not using a transfer cable, I have no experience with that method. Your buddy would have to activate the transfer and then sign in on your 360 to complete it. The downside to this is this affects ALL of his purchases not just the ones already associated with your 360. Say he had UNO on his 360 and anyone and everyone could play it, after the transfer only he could play it on his 360, not to mention he'd have to be online, and now anyone could play it on yours.

[quote name='Ma12kez']Thanks for this. I was wondering if it would work with Halo 4. Is there a way Microsoft can retroactively attach this extra layer of DRM security to content on the Live Marketplace released before Halo 4? Or is it safe to assume that this option will not be viable from this point forward?[/QUOTE]

They can do anything they have permission to do via updates. I don't think they'll bother putting DRM on everything, and I doubt they'll do it with everything that is released after Halo 4.

I think this is a result of the Halo series being tied into Waypoint, which more or less acts like DRM for the franchise. I had both Halo 1 and 2 Xbox Originals purchased on a friend's account, and now I can't play them at all. Neither can he with his own profile on his own system. Instant waste of $20.

So it's been awhile since I had to do a license transfer, apparently it's not done on their website anymore. It's done on the console you want to transfer licenses to. On top of that I don't remember having to redownload the content that was already installed. I thought I remember just doing the transfer and then having to sign in on the console, I could be wrong.

Anyway the easiest way I've found is to just go to your games section and look for the ones with a full controller, not half, those are obviously the full games, hit X to go to game details, delete the game and then select download again.

They must've updated Borderlands 2 so you CANNOT share. It actually says "installed" for content but can only be accessed by 1st account.

Update: So the official answer from MS is that publishers get to decide if content is locked to 1 user, not console. Season Passes, in particular, since DLC is done in game and not via Marketplace.

I remember reading a while ago that people were having their accounts banned for game sharing on 360 (considering it a form of theft), psn is more lenient with it.

Don't know how true that is. I do kind of want the halo 4 map packs though and the Xcom DLC

also if anyone wants to sell their license, let me know what games you have and what you want for it

I had a question and I think I understand the answer from the responses on here, but I just wanted to double check.

In my house I own two 360s. I purchase on one console (Unit 1)so my family can play without me being logged in and login and play on the other (Unit 2). 

Unit 1 is old and low on memory. I just bought a slim with a big hard drive (Unit 3). 

Can I sell Unit 1, License Transfer to Unit 2 and everyone be able to play on unit 2 without me being logged in?

Thanks!

Edit: Essentially, will a license transfer to a 360 allow me to dl all my games and everyone on the console will be able to play whether I'm logged in/connected to the internet or not?

Yeah that's how it works. Transfer to Unit 2 then everyone gets access on Unit 2, you log in on Unit 3 to play and after you confirm it's working on both format/reset Unit 1. :D

You'll have to download everything onto Unit 2 from your profile, as well as be logged in on Unit 2 to update some titles, indie ... xbla?

Hey guys got a quick question for ya. I was looking to share my entire download list with a buddy of mine and he shares his with me. How would I go about doing that?

Hey guys got a quick question for ya. I was looking to share my entire download list with a buddy of mine and he shares his with me. How would I go about doing that?
You sign on with his Xbox and transfer your license to his console; he does the same to your Xbox as well.

You can share X1 games though it's a bit of a different process and it limits your game sharing to one person. This isn't a problem at all for me because I only ever split games with my brother. What you need to do:

Person 1 recovers their gamertag on person 2's xbox one console.

While logged into Person 1's gamertag go into Person 2's console settings.

There is an option on the bottom left that says something along the lines of "Home Xbox"

Once into that setting menu make Person 2's xbox one console The "Home Xbox" for Person 1's Gamertag

Now person 2 can play any of Person 1's games on their console. I know that's pretty confusing, it's basically just like the 360 way except in reverse order and added steps of making another persons console your "home console"

You can share X1 games though it's a bit of a different process and it limits your game sharing to one person. This isn't a problem at all for me because I only ever split games with my brother. What you need to do:

There is an option on the bottom left that says something along the lines of "Home Xbox"

Once into that setting menu make Person 2's xbox one console The "Home Xbox" for Person 1's Gamertag

Now person 2 can play any of Person 1's games on their console. I know that's pretty confusing, it's basically just like the 360 way except in reverse order and added steps of making another persons console your "home console"
This is good to know thanks

Any issues with this still working? And as I've not used it firsthand on the 360, could you play a MP/co-op game together? (i.e. both using content simultaneously).

I have an Xbox 1 but not a 360. My buddy has an Xbox 360 but not an Xbox 1.

I just bought COD:AW Digital Pro Edition for the Xbox 1.

Can i log onto my friends Xbox 360 and download the 360 version of it too?

I have an Xbox 1 but not a 360. My buddy has an Xbox 360 but not an Xbox 1.

I just bought COD:AW Digital Pro Edition for the Xbox 1.

Can i log onto my friends Xbox 360 and download the 360 version of it too?
If you bought the X1 version first, then no. All the "free upgrades" only go one way. You gotta buy last gen first, then you get the next gen copy free. No working it the other way around.

Anyone get this to work with Destiny's DLC? Can't seem to find it on the marketplace.

Has there been any issues with people getting banned for Game Sharing on the X1? I was rather surprised to see you could play the same license on different consoles, IE both people playing COD/Halo MCC at the same time. 

This seems even better then then Steam family sharing where only one person can play the game at once. On X1 both people can play it at once?

Also doesn't seem like a good idea to "family share" when one person lives in a entirely different state. But here I have friends doing it and no warnings/bans.

A major downside to sharing is that you cannot access your digital content when Live is down or your internet drops unless you are the one marked as the Home Xbox. Also you can only change the Home Xbox 3 times in a year span.

bread's done
Back