Shipwreck’s Guide To Half-Priced Xbox Live Arcade Games and Marketplace Content

[quote name='pdiscool']i know this is a stupid question but was just wondering, is it possible to use a usb stick instead of a memmory card?[/QUOTE]

That's not a stupid question. Microsoft is run by cheap bastards and they do not allow anything to hold memory that isn't made by them. You have to shell out 30 bucks for a 512MB Mcard that can only be used with a 360. (Of course you could find better deals, but this is the normal price point)

PS3 does allow USB sicks.

Wow, I'm glad I took a 2nd look at this thread, saved me tons of pts on my 2nd xbox. Kinda doesn't make much sense to purchase the same thing twice if I own both xbox's, just different gamertags. FYI for anyone who recently bought DOTD & DOTW's !

Wow .. I gatta try this tomorrow .. thx for the step by step instructions shipwreck .. btw, when are you going to replace Wombat fulltime on the CAG cast ^_^

Edit: Just thought of something .. I just recently moved onto a bigger hard drive and my licenses over to my new console as well .. will I still able to do this?

So I have a question as I just got an xbox again after not having one for a couple years.

My brother has one also and he has some live games already purchased that i'd like to play and I have some he'd like to play.

Can we recover each other's gamertags download the games and play them on our original gamertags with no issues?

[quote name='SnoT']So I have a question as I just got an xbox again after not having one for a couple years.

My brother has one also and he has some live games already purchased that i'd like to play and I have some he'd like to play.

Can we recover each other's gamertags download the games and play them on our original gamertags with no issues?[/QUOTE]

Not quite. If you read the FAQ carefully, you'll notice that the game must be originally downloaded to the other person's machine first (in that case your machine, using your brother's gamertag).

The only way you'll benefit from each other's games is by borrowing each other's gamertags while playing those games. It's fine, if you live in the same household (memory card would be easiest), but practically impossible otherwise.

yeah I don't comepletely understand it then. Cause I just got a Xbox360 again from a buddy's friend. He had his gamer tag on there still. I was able to recover my gamer tag on that console and play games that he had downloaded with his. Then I was also able to redownload games from my gamertag to this new to me console and play them fine under my tag and his..

[quote name='SnoT']yeah I don't comepletely understand it then. Cause I just got a Xbox360 again from a buddy's friend. He had his gamer tag on there still. I was able to recover my gamer tag on that console and play games that he had downloaded with his. Then I was also able to redownload games from my gamertag to this new to me console and play them fine under my tag and his..[/QUOTE]

All games are playable from that original console regardless of who's on live at the moment. That original console is able to play the Arcade games that have been downloaded whether you or him are on there.

If you then recover your gamertag while using his console, and proceed to download content, he will then be able to play the content (without being on live).
Now, once you go back to your own machine, and redownload the games, you will not be able to access them without being on live.

It's a bit confusing, but it's all in the FAQ.

So just to clarify, this isn't that useful for games that are already purchased, right? It's best for games that you plan on buying in the future.

So when you purchase something it's licensed both to the console it was originally purchased on and to the xbox live account name that did the purchasing? Genius!

This will make the MW2 map pack less painful whenever it comes out.

[quote name='chankk']So this is possible with the MW2 stimulus pack and the RE5 DLC?? Correct?[/QUOTE]Yes.

Anyone know if this will work for Mass Effect 2 DLC? I have no idea how the Cerberus Network will come into play when using this method.

Does this work with avatar clothes? I bought some stuff on a different Live account of mine, but I can't access it on my new account (same Xbox).

So i tried this on a friends xbox. it doesnt work. you cant transfer content over either through the usb...

My husband and I do it have 2 360's, and we don't buy 2 games, or DL maps/add-on's etc, because of this. We just do something similar to this, and it has worked with every single game and content except 1. Sam and Max, we have to leave the profile signed on, or play on the original xbox it was DL'd from.

For instance, My man has the full version of BF:1943, and I have the trial. We take his gamercard and put it on a memory card, then log him in on my xbox (as second player), make sure we launch the game from HIS dashboard, and then I am the one who hits start, then he logs out (once im in game) and I have the full version, as long as I stay in the game. We can play together, fully functional online, and DLC works. We did it for the last map packs for MW2. We did it for AOT:TFD, resident evil 5, and much more.

If CAG B’s Xbox 360 breaks, the games on his console are lost. This is true even if CAG B just replaces the “Core Xbox 360 unit” and is still able to use the Hard Drive from the original Xbox 360. The content is tied to the console itself and not just the hard drive.
If CAG B did a license transfer to a new console, would this alleviate the issue of losing games/DLC on his/her console?

maybe someone will upload a video to Youtube about how doing that "trick"
i cant understand nothing .. o_O

is there any list of downloaded content this won't work with? I'm fairly certain it won't work with any of the DLC for Burnout Paradise, but I'm most curious about the The Sacrifice for L4D and L4D2 right now.

[quote name='ihzer0']is there any list of downloaded content this won't work with? I'm fairly certain it won't work with any of the DLC for Burnout Paradise, but I'm most curious about the The Sacrifice for L4D and L4D2 right now.[/QUOTE]

You can get Left 4 Dead 1 and 2 around $10 and then get the DLC for FREE if you have steam ;)

PC gaming is the way to go.

[quote name='iKilledChewbacca']You can get Left 4 Dead 1 and 2 around $10 and then get the DLC for FREE if you have steam ;)

PC gaming is the way to go.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I know about the deal and got my roommate to buy it, but I already have all of the previous DLC and games for xbox, and a fairly crappy laptop.

edit:
I just tried testing this with older DLC for both games. It works. I'd assume it works with this new DLC then.

Last edited by a moderator:
Anyone tried this recently?

I ask as my son logged into a friends 360, and tried to play a game that his friend had purchased an hour before, and it insisted the friend be logged in.

I'm tempted to try it with my son's console, and mine. We cannot agree on what games to buy tho :)

Just did this yesterday with my bro's 360. Content works on my Xbox but if I'm not logged online it says the data is "corrupted". I'm considering doing a license transfer, but I don't want his 360 to lose the ability to play all of my content.

I just spent two hours messing with this with fully updated xbox's. No go. All I wanted was to transfer Halo CE games on demand, TMNT and the new pacman to his console so he can play them on xmas.

The ONLY way that I could get the arcade games to work was if my profile was logged in via the MU AND connected to live. The moment i signed off of live or logged out, the arcade games immediately reverted back to trial status. Halo CE would not work AT ALL.

Unless I did something really wrong (I followed OP's guide to the hilt), they either closed the hole, or I just have an xbox that doesn't want ot play nice!

[quote name='tsantsa']I just spent two hours messing with this with fully updated xbox's. No go. All I wanted was to transfer Halo CE games on demand, TMNT and the new pacman to his console so he can play them on xmas.

The ONLY way that I could get the arcade games to work was if my profile was logged in via the MU AND connected to live. The moment i signed off of live or logged out, the arcade games immediately reverted back to trial status. Halo CE would not work AT ALL.

Unless I did something really wrong (I followed OP's guide to the hilt), they either closed the hole, or I just have an xbox that doesn't want ot play nice![/QUOTE]

My son and I just did this with Splosion Man. Works like a charm.
I just leave my gamertag on a flash drive now to make the process easier.
It only works if the first download is under your gamertag on his console. Then logout, go to your console, login, and re-download.

This may be a stupid question, but I'm going to visit my brother in December. Will I be able to copy my gamertag and saves to a flash drive, plug that into his xbox and re-download the full versions of my games for free and play them in full? I think this will work, but I want to be sure. Also, could I copy the games onto my flash drive and then avoid having to redownload them? Most importantly, would my kids still be able to play these games on our xbox at home while I'm away with my gamertag on his xbox?

[quote name='crunchewy']This may be a stupid question, but I'm going to visit my brother in December. Will I be able to copy my gamertag and saves to a flash drive, plug that into his xbox and re-download the full versions of my games for free and play them in full? I think this will work, but I want to be sure. [/QUOTE]

Yes, it should work for your gamertag, but they would not be playable for your brother unless your gamertag was logged in.

[quote name='crunchewy'] Also, could I copy the games onto my flash drive and then avoid having to redownload them?[/QUOTE] Yes (most likely) It does depend on the game IIRC.

[quote name='crunchewy'] Most importantly, would my kids still be able to play these games on our xbox at home while I'm away with my gamertag on his xbox?[/QUOTE] No, not if you copied them to the flash drive. Yes, if you left them on the hd, and they logged into a different gamertag.

Hope I didn't confuse things too much :)

Well I don't know what was wrong then...I did it just like it says...I'll try one more time after I get some points...

the way i got this to work

1. Purchase item on your usual gamertag on your usual console
2. Move your gamertag to memory card or flash drive
3. Put memory card or flash drive in other xbox 360.
4. Sign in second account on the usual console (it should now be authorized to play it since its on the "purchased" console)
5. Now simply on the console with the memory unit in it sign into xbox live with the profile on the memory unit and you will be able to access it on there too because it is the original profile that bought the content.

So to recap. Friends Id is on your original console that bought it. Your id is on memory unit on the 2nd console but also able to access it cause it is tied to your gamertag. Which is exactly what is stated.

Any idea if this works if you purchase via xbox.com?

Meaning, i buy a game via xbox.com for my profile. (My profile is on a usb drive)
My son loads my profile into his console, and downloads said game.
Later, I use my profile on my console, and can redownload when logged in to live?

[quote name='csidegamer']Any idea if this works if you purchase via xbox.com?

Meaning, i buy a game via xbox.com for my profile. (My profile is on a usb drive)
Later, I use my profile on my console, and can redownload when logged in to live?[/QUOTE]

It might work, I'd try it with an 80 m$ point indie game like Platformance or I made a game with zombies in it. The only thing I can think of being a problem is if you ever had a RROD on your console, I did and everytime I make a purchase on xbox.com it links to the motherboard that was originally in my elite. I say give it a try with a cheapy and let us know how it goes.

Edit: The more I think about it, the less I think it'll work. I think it'll link to your name and your console, like it did with mine. Unless his console was the console you originally created your gamertag on, then it might. I just give my kid all the m$ points and download the things I want with his gamertag on a memory card in my elite.

[quote name='hollowfreak']It might work, I'd try it with an 80 m$ point indie game like Platformance or I made a game with zombies in it. The only thing I can think of being a problem is if you ever had a RROD on your console, I did and everytime I make a purchase on xbox.com it links to the motherboard that was originally in my elite. I say give it a try with a cheapy and let us know how it goes.

Edit: The more I think about it, the less I think it'll work. I think it'll link to your name and your console, like it did with mine. Unless his console was the console you originally created your gamertag on, then it might. I just give my kid all the m$ points and download the things I want with his gamertag on a memory card in my elite.[/QUOTE]

Good idea, but we don't have internet currently. Thanks to the same kid downloading copyrighted materials for the fourth time :( Permanent ban from our provider under my name. (We have to wait a couple days to reconnect under my wife's name)

Hoping to get Risk Factions, and Deathspank before their sales end. EDIT: Nvm, they ended already, swore it said thru the 25th :(

He'll just have to take his console to his friends tonight if he wants either game as the points are in my account :)

Then we'll try it with an indie cheapy once our connection is restored.

I'd think it'd be better to do everything from the Xbox dashboard. You don't really want to risk spending points and not being able to get the game on 2 consoles/accounts. Recovering the account is probably the easiest way to do this.

so does shipwrecks method still work or is there something else u have to do now? wondering since i refuse to pay $15 for the black ops maps next week so i was hoping i could just split the cost with my cousin

[quote name='Nelo Ice']so does shipwrecks method still work or is there something else u have to do now? wondering since i refuse to pay $15 for the black ops maps next week so i was hoping i could just split the cost with my cousin[/QUOTE]

Still worked a week ago.

[quote name='csidegamer']Still worked a week ago.[/QUOTE]

thx was reading the last few posts and it sounded like u had to do something different

My brother and I each share 1 main xbox and we purchase and downloaded our own content, since we both use the same x-box we have always been able to share our content/games ...

We got the E-74 error last week and sent off to Microsoft for repairs ... we are using our backup xbox to play, we just plugged in the hard drive, of course we cant play each others games/content because of the license.

1st question .. if we each transferred our license to this xbox, would we each have access to each others content (just like before the E-74 error)? ... which leads me to my second question ...

I want to buy the Red Dead content on sale and a few Rock Band songs and an arcade game (Pac Man DX!) ... If i purchase on this temporary xbox and do the DRM transfer from the website when I get my regular xbox back from MS, will the content work like before the E-74 error?) Ive never done a DRM transfer and I understand 1 time a year)

Im sorry if Im not clear, but if anyone can help, I would be happy! -- I should probably wait until I get my xbox back before I do anything, since its only 600pts Id be saving on the content, but I'm on CAG for a reason!!...

so will this work if i have a redeem code for the first strike mappack for black ops. i'd like to share these with a friend if possible

[quote name='serophaze']so will this work if i have a redeem code for the first strike mappack for black ops. i'd like to share these with a friend if possible[/QUOTE]

yup, it will work. i used a code for the stimulus pack for mw2, took my profile to my friends house and d/l it on his console. and it works perfectly so you shouldnt have a problem.

[quote name='chembree']
1st question .. if we each transferred our license to this xbox, would we each have access to each others content (just like before the E-74 error)? ... which leads me to my second question ...

I want to buy the Red Dead content on sale and a few Rock Band songs and an arcade game (Pac Man DX!) ... If i purchase on this temporary xbox and do the DRM transfer from the website when I get my regular xbox back from MS, will the content work like before the E-74 error?) Ive never done a DRM transfer and I understand 1 time a year)QUOTE]

I had no problem doing this ...Hope it helps someone!! .. In fact, my gamertag had stuff tied to 4 xboxs (video game trailers) and all of the licenses were moved to the new xbox

So my roommate, who has his own xbox, was stupid and bought one of those clearly scammy "we'll sell you a whole account, with points on it, for cheap!" things. I told him not to but he doesn't listen. Not the first time he's been scammed Anyway. The way I understand the process here, if he were to purchase DLC, it would be tied to his xbox, right? That's of course in addition to this account they (probably stole and then) sold to him. So even if his "new account" went away for whatever reason, he'd still have his DLC and Arcade games?

Assuming of course his xbox doesn't get banned from live or something for participating in such a thing.

[quote name='coren']So my roommate, who has his own xbox, was stupid and bought one of those clearly scammy "we'll sell you a whole account, with points on it, for cheap!" things. I told him not to but he doesn't listen. Not the first time he's been scammed Anyway. The way I understand the process here, if he were to purchase DLC, it would be tied to his xbox, right? That's of course in addition to this account they (probably stole and then) sold to him. So even if his "new account" went away for whatever reason, he'd still have his DLC and Arcade games?

Assuming of course his xbox doesn't get banned from live or something for participating in such a thing.[/QUOTE]

I'm going to assume by new account you mean the one he bought and here's how it would work. The new account would only be able to access any purchased items (DLC) on his 360 if it was signed in and none of his other accounts would be able access said DLC until he did a transfer with the account to his 360 and then who ever (possibly you. Lol.) was still playing said DLC on the console it was linked to would lose it ... and not be a very happy camper.

[quote name='csidegamer']Any idea if this works if you purchase via xbox.com?

Later, I use my profile on my console, and can redownload when logged in to live?[/QUOTE]

Just to let anyone who cares know, this works via xbox.com too.

I purchase a game via xbox.com for my gamertag. (Making sure it is not logged in anywhere)
My son, logged in with my gamertag on his xbox.
It did not automatically download for him, he had to find it as it was que'd for my xbox.
(I believe it was in the previously purchased items list, and it showed download pending)
Anyway, he downloaded the game to his console.
He logged out my gamertag.
I logged into my console with my gamertag, and download game again.
We can both play said game as ourselves. I do not have to be logged into his console.

The game/content has to be a new purchase, and downloaded to his console first.

Hope that made sense :)

bread's done
Back