Shipwreck’s Guide To Half-Priced Xbox Live Arcade Games and Marketplace Content

[quote name='ZForce915']A buddy of mine had that happen to him a couple months back. We downloaded about 40 total games and he ended up getting the raw end of it when his 360 died. Everything was downloaded on his but linked to my account.[/QUOTE]
couldn't you go back to his console and go to download history and download it again? or does that not work?

[quote name='MillerTime2523']ONLY FOR NEWLY PURCHASED CONTENT!!!

You must be buying the content! It can not already be bought for this to work[/quote]

It seems like this would work for already purchased content if you're willing to actually trade your xboxes.

[quote name='AshesofWake']this whole thing seems like a horrible idea for the individual that doesn't have the content linked to their XBL account, once the 360 dies, they are totally SOL. and it seems likely that most 360's do crap out[/QUOTE]

That's why it is best to alternate who's account/system you are downloading it on.

Hey shipwreck, I followed your directions completely but I'm still having trouble accessing the full game for CAG A. CAG B is fine, but for some reason CAG A can only play the trial game still. Any insight would be helpful, thanks.

::EDIT::
Ok it seems that it will only let me play the full game if I choose the "unlock full game" option every time I load the game up. Is there any way around this, or is this the only way to do it? Again any help would be great. Thanks again.

[quote name='Ma12kez']Hey shipwreck, I followed your directions completely but I'm still having trouble accessing the full game for CAG A. CAG B is fine, but for some reason CAG A can only play the trial game still. Any insight would be helpful, thanks.

::EDIT::
Ok it seems that it will only let me play the full game if I choose the "unlock full game" option every time I load the game up. Is there any way around this, or is this the only way to do it? Again any help would be great. Thanks again.[/QUOTE]

A couple of games seem to have this problem. I'm not sure why, but I guess they were set up differently.

Quick question, does this work across regions? I'd like to play Doom and UMK3 but they were not released on the German Marketplace. Now if I find a friendly CAG A here or somewhere else, would a UK or US profile be able to access the corresponding Marketplace? Or is there some kind of IP check when you access Live which prevents a legal UK or US account from signing in from another region?

Sorry if this was answered before and thanks for any help if anybody knows in the first place :)

um, i went and re d/led the game back on the original profile's xbox and it only plays the trial version now...i do the "unlock full game" thing and select "play now" but it only gives me the trial version of Streets of Rage 2

i heard on the CAGforeplay that the DLC is tied to youre console. but strangely i have my DLC on both of my consoles. ( i have 2 :O)

that was the first thing i did when i bought the second one for my bedroom. i wanted to play castlevania SOTN. and it worked perfectly.

or is it my swedish brain that dont get the problem?

oh and another Q. what does /thread mean? ive seen people write that.

jonny out.

[quote name='jonny_ebe']i heard on the CAGforeplay that the DLC is tied to youre console. but strangely i have my DLC on both of my consoles. ( i have 2 :O)

that was the first thing i did when i bought the second one for my bedroom. i wanted to play castlevania SOTN. and it worked perfectly.[/quote]

It's tied to your console and the gamertag - if you use the same GT on both consoles, as long as you're signed into XBL when you boot up the game, it should work on both.

or is it my swedish brain that dont get the problem?

Lay off the salted licorice, man.

oh and another Q. what does /thread mean? ive seen people write that.

It reads as "end of the thread," and implies a comment of such prominent sarcastic quality that no other comments could possibly stand up to it, effectively ending the discussion in the thread. It is not to be taken seriously when used to refer to one's own comments, though.

Hi! I have tried to do this tonight with a friend, But it seems I can still only play the trial games unless his profile is signed in.

He bought games and downloaded them to his HDD recently, then he has recovered his tag onto my 360 tonight, and re-downloaded them to my HDD.

Is this wrong? Do they have to be purchased to my HDD, then recovered and re-downloaded to his HDD later for it to work?

Thanks!! :D

[quote name='Omgyjya_Switch7']Hi! I have tried to do this tonight with a friend, But it seems I can still only play the trial games unless his profile is signed in.

He bought games and downloaded them to his HDD recently, then he has recovered his tag onto my 360 tonight, and re-downloaded them to my HDD.

Is this wrong? Do they have to be purchased to my HDD, then recovered and re-downloaded to his HDD later for it to work?

Thanks!! :D[/QUOTE]
DLC is tied to the console on which it was downloaded and the tag that it was purchased with. In this case, both were his, so you could only play it while his tag was signed in on your console. In order to make it work, either you have to use his tag to download it to your console or he has to use your tag to download it to his console.

Ok this will be quite a strange story.

My brother-in-law had recovered his gamertag at a friends house. Once he got home he had a problem where he could not recover his gamertag on his own Xbox. He has dealt with Microsoft and he provides all the correct information yet they dunno what is wrong, so they are working on it (he does not have a memory card and more than likely will be purchasing one just to move his profile back to his xbox).

Anyways he creates another profile to play while this whole thing is going on. During this time he downloads Halo 3 heroic map pack. Now the month he had expired so he borrowed his friends xbox to play with his old profile on Live. He recovered his new gamertag on this xbox and downloads the heroic map pack as well. Here is the strange part, his heroic map pack is working with his old account as well.

How would this be possible?

Here is another way, in case no one understood what I wrote heh heh.

Gamer A recovers gamertag at Gamer B's xbox just to play.

Gamer A cannot recover his own gamertag. Gets a new gamertag temporary (gamertag2) and downloads content with the new gamertag on his own xbox.

Gamer A borrows Gamer B's xbox to play on his own gamertag since the month of live expired on his gamertag2.

Gamer A recovers gamertag2 on Gamer B's xbox and proceeds to download content previously downloaded on that gamertag. This content works on original gamertag (Gamer B would not have had any of this content as he does not own any of those games). How is this possible?

Could I say recover gamertag2 on my own xbox and be able to access those downloadable content on my own gamertag? Perhaps he just forgot he had downloaded that content on his original gamertag (though he swears he didn't). Thoughts?

Well, since no one answered I just kept wondering what happened...since I'm not at his house. Then I figured he pretty much did what this thread is about except he didn't mean to. See, he didn't use his friends xbox, but his friends hard drive that contained his ID. Therefore he had access to the halo maps since he had downloaded the maps on that specific xbox.

games and items bought on the marketplace is linked to both the system and gamertag. It is mostly linked on the gamertag because there needs to be a verification process involving your gamertag. Without the gamertag that purchased the games, the system will not allow you to re-download and will show up the price. All items should be marked with a check to confirm that you have downloaded it previously using said gamertag.

Ok, I'm guessing this will work but I'd like to see if anyone else has actually tried it. My son and I each have our own consoles, so I should be able to put his hdd on my 360, download the content and then reconnect mine and then redownload it. It would just seem easier this way than buying a memory card or recovering gamertags.

[quote name='hollowfreak']Ok, I'm guessing this will work but I'd like to see if anyone else has actually tried it. My son and I each have our own consoles, so I should be able to put his hdd on my 360, download the content and then reconnect mine and then redownload it. It would just seem easier this way than buying a memory card or recovering gamertags.[/QUOTE]
Content is tied to the console and the gamertag, not the storage device. If his gamertag is stored on his hard drive, you can sign into your console with his gamertag and do it that way. His console will have to be connected to Live with his gamertag any time he wants to play it. The best way to arrange it is to figure out whose system will played connected to Live the most and download using that gamertag on the other (used online the least) console.

I feel like I'm repeating myself a lot. Is the OP not clear enough or are people just not reading before they post?

[quote name='radjago']Content is tied to the console and the gamertag, not the storage device. If his gamertag is stored on his hard drive, you can sign into your console with his gamertag and do it that way. His console will have to be connected to Live with his gamertag any time he wants to play it. The best way to arrange it is to figure out whose system will played connected to Live the most and download using that gamertag on the other (used online the least) console.

I feel like I'm repeating myself a lot. Is the OP not clear enough or are people just not reading before they post?[/QUOTE]

Before you hang me out to dry here, I knew what needed to be done and yes you're OP is clear about that. I've read plenty of posts that should have gotten this response but didn't. Anyway, I was just wondering if anyone has done it this way, just swapping hdds, instead of signing in ... just seems easier.

[quote name='hollowfreak']Before you hang me out to dry here, I knew what needed to be done and yes you're OP is clear about that. I've read plenty of posts that should have gotten this response but didn't. Anyway, I was just wondering if anyone has done it this way, just swapping hdds, instead of signing in ... just seems easier.[/QUOTE]
I never meant for my response to sound malicious. I just wanted to make sure people understand it.

And for reference, no I haven't done it that way, but I might try it next time I go to my brother's place.

this might have been asked here, but i didnt see it, would this work with things other than games like say a map pack for cod

[quote name='baldbuddha']this might have been asked here, but i didnt see it, would this work with things other than games like say a map pack for cod[/QUOTE]

This pretty much works for anything that can be purchased from the market place.

Maybe I didn't do this right, but my friend (lets call him A) has all the GH3 songs you can buy from the marketplace. I (let's call me B) want the songs he has, lol. So...

We took A's profile and put it on a mem card
Put the mem card in A's 360 with B's hard drive in
Signed in to A's profile
A went to the song list and re-downloaded the songs but to B's hard drive

Now when I got home I had all the song packs on my hard drive, but can't play them when I sign into GH3. The only thing I can think of for why it didn't work is that I should've used his profile with my hard drive AND my 360.

Any one know what I can do, or did wrong?

[quote name='Mikeinator']Maybe I didn't do this right, but my friend (lets call him A) has all the GH3 songs you can buy from the marketplace. I (let's call me B) want the songs he has, lol. So...

Signed in to A's profile

Now when I got home I had all the song packs on my hard drive, but can't play them when I sign into GH3. The only thing I can think of for why it didn't work is that I should've used his profile with my hard drive AND my 360.

Any one know what I can do, or did wrong?[/QUOTE]

umm ... this has to be done at the time of purchase it cannot be done later unless you want to switch gamertags with him permanently. The content would have to be PURCHASED with HIS account on YOUR xbox not re-downloaded like you're doing. It's not that complicated, CONTENT is linked to TWO things the XBOX 360 and 1 GAMERTAG. On the 360 it is PURCHASED on ANYONE can use it and the GAMERTAG can ONLY use it when SIGNED into LIVE. :drool:

Maybe I didn't do this right, but my friend (lets call him A) has all the GH3 songs you can buy from the marketplace. I (let's call me B) want the songs he has, lol. So...

Signed in to A's profile

Any one know what I can do, or did wrong?

[quote name='Mikeinator']Maybe I didn't do this right, but my friend (lets call him A) has all the GH3 songs you can buy from the marketplace. I (let's call me B) want the songs he has, lol. So...

Signed in to A's profile

Any one know what I can do, or did wrong?[/QUOTE]

umm ... this has to be done at the time of purchase it cannot be done later unless you want to switch gamertags with him permanently. The content would have to be PURCHASED with HIS account on YOUR xbox not re-downloaded like you're doing. It's not that complicated, CONTENT is linked to TWO things the XBOX 360 and 1 GAMERTAG. On the 360 it is PURCHASED on ANYONE can use it and the GAMERTAG can ONLY use it when SIGNED into LIVE. :drool:

[quote name='hollowfreak']Ok, I'm guessing this will work but I'd like to see if anyone else has actually tried it. My son and I each have our own consoles, so I should be able to put his hdd on my 360, download the content and then reconnect mine and then redownload it. It would just seem easier this way than buying a memory card or recovering gamertags.[/QUOTE]

Just to let everyone know it didn't work this way. I had to recover his gamertag to my hdd in order to be able to re-download the content.

This would be a little bit easier if you had your accomplice purchase a memory card as well, right? Less time to wait on recovering the gamer tag-- am I right on that?
I picked one up on the cheap at Kmart and seeing if I can convince my friend to do the same.

Does any trustworthy CAG maybe want to do this with me? I want the COD4 map pack and a few XBLA games.

I don't have many close friends who have a 360.

So basically, I can recover my cousin's account on my console, buy the game with his account, and then have him recover it and download it to his? Then be able to use my account to download the game without spending any MS points? And the 50% off basically comes from the two of us buying a game each?

[quote name='Kekumba']So basically, I can recover my cousin's account on my console, buy the game with his account, and then have him recover it and download it to his? Then be able to use my account to download the game without spending any MS points? And the 50% off basically comes from the two of us buying a game each?[/QUOTE]

That is correct. Though he will spend MS points initially since you are buying the game with his account.

Pretty much say you are buying Penny Arcade. You two put in ten dollars each. Then with the points on his account you download it (using his account of course) on your console. Then he can recover his account and do the same on his console.

The only problem is if the console used first (in this case yours) gets the RRoD then you would lose all those games. Sure you could recover his account and download them, but only his account would be able to access them from thereon. So as stated it is a good idea to split games here and there using both accounts so when that happens you won't lose all the games.

What if you have already downloaded the games/content.... any way to transfer them into another person's profile after the fact?

Since I do have 2 or 3 other profiles on my box, I guess I need to ensure they are logged in when I download the content to ensure they get "credit" for the purchases. :)

[quote name='Samus']Does any trustworthy CAG maybe want to do this with me? I want the COD4 map pack and a few XBLA games.

I don't have many close friends who have a 360.[/quote]
I still need the COD4 Map Pack. ;)

I know this is for stuff that your going to buy, but is there a way to get stuff that was already bought? I want to get some RB DLC from my friend.

this is weird i did the account recovery thing.... and when i sign into friends account all of the demos he downloaded on his account are on mine, but i cant delete them and they only work/ show up when he is signed on. total trip 0_o

....Is it possible to "trade accounts" with people and sign onto their gamertags, download their XBLA games, and then go back to your Gamertag and still have them?

[quote name='SoulReaver']....Is it possible to "trade accounts" with people and sign onto their gamertags, download their XBLA games, and then go back to your Gamertag and still have them?[/QUOTE]

You will have them yes, but you will not be able to access them. This is only for games that you are just purchasing for the first time. It has been stated a few times now already. It will not work for any content that had been downloaded before.

alright, i want to know if this is exactly what I should do before i do it...i merely want to be able to play the game both at home and at college (my friend's xbox):

1. take my points card and activate it on my XBL account on my friend's xbox (at college)
2. use the points on my account and download it onto HIS xbox
3. whenever i get home, recover my gamertag onto MY xbox and re-download it
4. whenever i go back to college, just recover my gamertag there and play?

i tried this with streets of rage 2 and something went wrong and i could not play the full version on my xbox...it sucked

also, is there any difference if i download the game on MY xbox with my gamertag (the one with the points) first, then recover my gamertag on my friends xbox? or do i have to d/l it on his xbox first with MY account for it to work?

Last edited by a moderator:
I finally tried this with a buddy last night for Castle Crashers. It was incredibly easy, especially with a cheap 5 dollar mem unit from Sears.

Thanks OP for the awesome, step by step instructions.

[quote name='cdietschrun']Hey fellow CAG and I trying to do this on NXE, are we missing something or does not work now?[/quote]You must be missing something. It still works. Download something using his account on your 360. I don't think they changed it.

bread's done
Back