Shipwreck’s Guide To Half-Priced Xbox Live Arcade Games and Marketplace Content

[quote name='Matt_Tracy']Does this not work after the new update or something?

My friend has a purchased version of Uno. I used a Xeno Connectivity Kit to put his account on my HDD. I signed in with him, clicked Download Again, signed out, signed into my own account, but it showed as the trial version?

I either did something wrong, or a Connectivity Kit doesn't work the way a memory card would (IDK why it wouldn't).[/QUOTE]

You did something wrong. Read through the instructions again. It can't be something that is already purchased by him on his hard drive. The best you can do with that is play it on your 360 while he is also logged into your 360.

[quote name='shipwreck']You did something wrong. Read through the instructions again. It can't be something that is already purchased by him on his hard drive. The best you can do with that is play it on your 360 while he is also logged into your 360.[/quote]

Ohh, I see. I figured it'd work with things he's already downloaded. :(

Thanks.

I had two $20 1600 cards ($40-3200 points total). Since I am spliting that price for everything now, it really means I have $60 because I am getting ten dollars from my friend for each card!!!

Is there a possiblity to even get that off. Like for example, me and my friend tried messing around to have it so that he would be A and I would be B. Hes already got the games on his 360 AND played them but if you get rid of the game on the Hard Drive, would it get rid of the agreement for a certain amount of time?

[quote name='RuGGeR']Is there a possiblity to even get that off. Like for example, me and my friend tried messing around to have it so that he would be A and I would be B. Hes already got the games on his 360 AND played them but if you get rid of the game on the Hard Drive, would it get rid of the agreement for a certain amount of time?[/QUOTE]

I believe the way it works is this:

Each 360 has a unique identifier that gets logged with Microsoft when you purchase something. That purchase is then tied to that Xbox for all users forever. Hard drive doesn't have anything to do with it.

So when you purchase something it is forever attached to the gamertag AND xbox it was purchased on.

Ok I think I get the process now. So really when you have the Gammertag that was recovered (the one on the other xbox without the bought game) you play it with that one FIRST. Then you get the other one, redownload it becuase of the xbox Console one, and itll work?

does it work for downloadable contents?

I tried with lumines and it worked, but graw doesnt work, the person whoes account doesn't own the content does not get the maps in mp.

okay, something messed up is happening. Me and my roommate have been doing this method so we can play the games online together. We brought his hard drive over to my 360, did account recovery, downloaded the game with my gamertag, turned off the 360, took his hard drive out and put mine back in, account recovery, downloaded again. The games worked fine on his 360 for a couple of days but now today when he's using his hard drive on his 360 it says they are trial games, but if he takes his hard drive over to my 360 it will be the full games. I thought it was all in the hard drive, I don't know why its not working from his xbox but its working from mine. Like I said everything was fine a few days ago, hes been playing alien hominid and worms the past few days on his 360 fine but now tonight its giving us this problem.

[quote name='exileinoblivion']anyone have any insight or suggestions?[/QUOTE]

It's not hard drive based. It's console based. Since you downloaded them on your console with your Gamertag (regardless of whose hard drive it was), your friend won't be able to use them on his console without your Gamertag being logged in on his console.

I don't understand how it could have been working for a few days on his 360 as it doesn't follow the license agreement in the way you described.

The key to the whole process is having your friend use his account to buy the game/content on your 360. You basically went through a bunch of steps to ultimately buy the game/content on your own 360 which has tied the content to your gamertag and your console.

[quote name='murray731']Is he logged into Live? I believe he has to be in order to play using his gamertag.[/QUOTE]

Won't matter if he described the situation correctly. If anything that would cause the game to go back to the trial version (unless his friend is also signing in exileinoblivion's gamertag on his console as well).

[quote name='shipwreck']Won't matter if he described the situation correctly. If anything that would cause the game to go back to the trial version (unless his friend is also signing in exileinoblivion's gamertag on his console as well).[/quote]

maybe we just imagined the whole him playing it on his 360 thing, we don't know for sure. all we know is he has gamerscore points for alien homid and he's pretty sure that he played them from his 360 and not mine. Oh well, now that we know its console related things will be much better. Thanks a lot for the help, we really appreciate it. Now we can go half and half on tmnt tonight.

cant you just do this?
xbox 1 with hd and points on + your profile 1
xbox 2 with hd no points + m8s profile 2

put the hd from xbox 1 on you your m8s xbox
down load the arcade game

then put the hd back on to your xbox

replace your m8s hd and down load the game again

will this work?

am about to do this but we dont have a memory card!

just 2 x xbox and 2 x hds!

cheers if you can help!

[quote name='super_cds']cant you just do this?
xbox 1 with hd and points on + your profile 1
xbox 2 with hd no points + m8s profile 2

put the hd from xbox 1 on you your m8s xbox
down load the arcade game

then put the hd back on to your xbox

replace your m8s hd and down load the game again

will this work?

am about to do this but we dont have a memory card!

just 2 x xbox and 2 x hds!

cheers if you can help![/QUOTE]

Theoretically yes, but you're going to have to do an account recovery anyway, so it would be just as easy to do that without having to switch the hard drives around. Read the instructions for the Account Recovery method without a memory card.

Actually, maybe you wouldn't have to do an account recovery if you just redownloaded the trial version of the game on the 360 that you bought it on, so your method should work without having to do the account recovery I think. I've never tested that way before though. I'm 100% sure that the account recovery method works though.

thanks just gave it ago but didnt work my way!

you need both profiles on the same xbox at the same time!

ie:
account recovery both on the same HD
or 1 on HD and 1 on the memory card!
does NOT work with 1 on each HD then swaping them!

just so there is no confusion, both me and my m8 can play the same full game on seprate xbox's!
______
what about games that have all ready been down loaded, is it possible to to use them on another xbox?
like what AlkalineProdigy is going on about, or is his the same way?

Thanks shipwreck and MillerTime for coming up with this idea and creating such a detailed guide. I'm using the account recovery method with a friend to dowload a piece of Oblivion content as a test, and it all seems to be working great.

Will we need to re-download the accounts every time we want to download something? The account recovery method takes quite a long time.

blah
It can't be something that is already purchased by him on his hard drive. The best you can do with that is play it on your 360 while he is also logged into your 360.

that sucks I guess I know for next time

[quote name='sj41']Thanks shipwreck and MillerTime for coming up with this idea and creating such a detailed guide. I'm using the account recovery method with a friend to dowload a piece of Oblivion content as a test, and it all seems to be working great.

Will we need to re-download the accounts every time we want to download something? The account recovery method takes quite a long time.[/quote]

Go buy a memory unit with all of the money you saved. A penny saved is a penny earned!!!

[quote name='fraggedbylaggers']Go buy a memory unit with all of the money you saved. A penny saved is a penny earned!!![/quote]Even if I bought a memory card, we don't live in the same neighborhood, so we would have to drive to eachother's houses to deliver the memory card, or exchange it at school which would take days to complete one transaction. I think account recovery is the best choice for our situation.

Okay, I did this last night with Heavy Arms and somehow (according to my friend) it deleted his save data for DDR Universe. I did everything rright, but it supposedly screwed up his data- help?

[quote name='sj41']http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/776/776209p1.html?RSSwhen2007-03-27_121600&RSSid=776209

so does this work for the Oblivion expansion, or has anybody tried it yet to verify? if me and my friend can't split the price, then neither of us are going to get it, so this really won't work out for anybody.[/QUOTE]

It works. I used the method to download it on my brother's console. Then partially downloaded it on mine before the service went down. I finished downloading it last night and made it into the Isles.

[quote name='sj41']http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/776/776209p1.html?RSSwhen2007-03-27_121600&RSSid=776209

so does this work for the Oblivion expansion, or has anybody tried it yet to verify? if me and my friend can't split the price, then neither of us are going to get it, so this really won't work out for anybody.[/QUOTE]

After reading the article, I'll have to double check it. I know the method worked downloading it (I verified my brother got the "A Strange Door has appeared" prompt before attempting to download it on my console). I know it works fine on mine since I was able to get the first achievement and actually visit Mania.

I'll post my findings when I get home.

[quote name='terribledeli']After reading the article, I'll have to double check it. I know the method worked downloading it (I verified my brother got the "A Strange Door has appeared" prompt before attempting to download it on my console). I know it works fine on mine since I was able to get the first achievement and actually visit Mania.

I'll post my findings when I get home.[/QUOTE]

I'd actually be surprised if it didn't work. All past in-game content has worked with this method.

Alrighty, here's my results.

I was able to boot up my brother's game on his console and still received the Shivering Isles prompt.

I then booted up my console and my game and was able to load my save that was already parked in Mania.

I don't have the time today to check the things I want to (Say, having him enter the Shivering Isles while I'm on the game on my console connected to Live and in the Shivering Isles).

But all signs point to what shipwreck said, it works just fine.

[quote name='help1']This still works? awesome![/QUOTE]
Until you see an update that says they've changed the ToS, it will always work.

Sorry - could someone clear up some confusion for me?

If I read the steps correctly, the only person who spends any Marketplace Points is CAG A. CAG A pays full price; CAG B pays nothing. So why is this considered a process for both people getting these games at "half price?"

[quote name='Mo the Hawk']Sorry - could someone clear up some confusion for me?

If I read the steps correctly, the only person who spends any Marketplace Points is CAG A. CAG A pays full price; CAG B pays nothing. So why is this considered a process for both people getting these games at "half price?"[/quote]Because CAG B then pays CAG A whatever half the price of what CAG A paid. Thus, both get it for half off.

[quote name='Mo the Hawk']Sorry - could someone clear up some confusion for me?

If I read the steps correctly, the only person who spends any Marketplace Points is CAG A. CAG A pays full price; CAG B pays nothing. So why is this considered a process for both people getting these games at "half price?"[/quote]

CAG B would pay CAG A in cash or something...

or if CAG A is nice, they would just do it for free for CAG B

Quick question. If CAG A already bought a game on his XBOX can he get it on CAG B's XBOX? Or must the original purchase be made on CAG B's XBOX?

I ask because there are a couple of games bought by my friend that I might want...

[quote name='MillerTime2523']You must be buying the game / content for this to work.[/QUOTE]

Thanks. The OP made it seem clear, but I wanted to check to see if maybe I was missing something.

Over the last couple of weeks, I've had some trouble getting the 360 to acknowledge that I own the full version of the game under the A console/gamertag. The B console I downloaded the content on has zero problems

I noticed during Catan that it said I needed to purchase the full game (from the menu screen). After I unlocked the first achievement, it changed to normal.

For Double Dragon this morning, I had to click on the Unlock the Full game button and tell my 360 to redownload the title before it would unlock.

Still having problems getting the 360 to acknowledge that I own the full version of the game until I hit the "redownloaded" option. I've tried deleting, then redownloading, and even downloading the trial.

I guess its the way Empire programmed the game.

[quote name='terribledeli']Still having problems getting the 360 to acknowledge that I own the full version of the game until I hit the "redownloaded" option. I've tried deleting, then redownloading, and even downloading the trial.

I guess its the way Empire programmed the game.[/quote]
Hmm.. Maybe your offline? You need to be online for the games to work that you redownloaded.

[quote name='MillerTime2523']Hmm.. Maybe your offline? You need to be online for the games to work that you redownloaded.[/QUOTE]

Nope. I wouldn't be able to hit Unlock Full Version and download it if I was offline. The console I originally downloaded the content on has no problems, but when I downloaded it on mine...it won't automatically give me the full game. Its an minor situation, but I hope its not a growing trend.

Hmm.. Not sure what to tell you then. Maybe another member had this happen and knows what to do.

If anyone wants to buy the crackdown content and use it with me, PLEASE PM me. I want to get this tonight but don't want to pay $10 for it.

Would the Halo 3 Beta work like DLC? Whether through the Beta key or Crackdown, would it be possible to put it on different 360s? Or would it be tied to the console itself? Hm.

[quote name='shinryuu']Would the Halo 3 Beta work like DLC? Whether through the Beta key or Crackdown, would it be possible to put it on different 360s? Or would it be tied to the console itself? Hm.[/quote]
Nope, Its linked to your gamertag.

Ah. Okay, so I'm guessing the process wouldn't work via Beta keys, but what about through Crackdown? Obviously it isn't out yet on Crackdown, but would you assume it's also linked on your gamertag? Meaning you can only download it once through Crackdown, and other accounts on the 360 can't play the Halo 3 Beta? Hypothetically speaking.. lol.

I'm not sure what your asking.

If your asking will you be able to play the beta under your gamertag under 2 360's? Most likely.

If your asking will you be able to split the beta with a friend? No. You need the crackdown disc to both download and play the beta.

Alright, thanks.

One more thing, just to get this right. My 1600pt card probably ships in tomorrow or sometime this week. I want to share the Gears map pack with a friend.

So, what I would do would be to get my gamertag (via account recovery) on his 360, buy the map pack on his 360, then once it's done downloading, check if it works on his gamertag. If it does, then I'm clear to go back to my 360 and redownload on my 360.

Correct, right? Just want to clear things up so nothing happens wrong.

bread's done
Back