Shipwreck’s Guide To Half-Priced Xbox Live Arcade Games and Marketplace Content

In light of the Lumines scandel, does anyone know if 2 or 3 people can each buy add-on packs and share them with each other without problems using this trick?

This thred really rocks.
The notice spreads out to xbox scene too...
I have a question:

My brother and me have two xbox 360 with hdd both connected to LIVE.
We have just one controller for each console and no memory cards as we are using hdd to save game, extra contents and so on.
Is it possible to share our legally purchased xbl just recovering our profile on each console. (we're living in different regions so we have to do all via live)

Regards

Andrea

[quote name='Sephiroth979']This thred really rocks.
The notice spreads out to xbox scene too...
I have a question:

My brother and me have two xbox 360 with hdd both connected to LIVE.
We have just one controller for each console and no memory cards as we are using hdd to save game, extra contents and so on.
Is it possible to share our legally purchased xbl just recovering our profile on each console. (we're living in different regions so we have to do all via live)

Regards

Andrea[/quote]

All the same principles apply whether you are using a memory card or Account Recovery. I just chose to write the steps using a memory card as this is the method I use.

just a quick question, if i already bought/downloaded the game on my hdd & profile. will it work if i load my profile in a different 360 and try to re-download the game? will it be free that way?

[quote name='ab12']just a quick question, if i already bought/downloaded the game on my hdd & profile. will it work if i load my profile in a different 360 and try to re-download the game? will it be free that way?[/QUOTE]

Yes. But the game will only be playable with your gamertag logged in. Although others can play with other controllers, as long as one controller has you logged in.

so if u find someone to split the cost w/ you you still need both of the profiles to play on 2 360s right? i thought you can use the profile that owns the game to re-download it onto a different hdd but i guess that's not gonna work?

[quote name='ab12']so if u find someone to split the cost w/ you you still need both of the profiles to play on 2 360s right? i thought you can use the profile that owns the game to re-download it onto a different hdd but i guess that's not gonna work?[/QUOTE]

I'm not sure how to make this any more clear, it's all in the first post. But i'll try.

-When you buy a game on marketplace, every gamertag ever logged in on ONLY THAT xbox (ie the xbox the game was FIRST purchased) can play it without issue.

-Using the SAME account you bought it with, yes you can download it on another xbox and play the full version. But other accounts on those other xbox's CAN'T play that game UNLESS you are also signed in.

So now I will try to explain it using story mode because I am bored:
Let's say you go over to Carl's house and buy a game on his 360 using your gamertag. Now Carl, and his mom, and his little sister, and his boyfriend, can all play that game on THAT 360 with their own gamertatgs as if it was their game. Now, YOU go home and download the full version of that game (Which is free, because you already bought it with your gamertag earlier). However, your boyfriend, his dad, and your cousin can't just log in with THEIR gamertags when they feel like it and play that game UNLESS YOU are also logged in with a second controller. This rule will be true for EVERY Xbox after the first one that you download the game on. The first one is an exception.

Does that clear everything up?

I've read through the steps shipwreck posted and i've tried something different. ill just use some of his steps and revise them. I have found a way to get both players xbox's registered to the game the where all player profiles on both xboxs can use the full content. MAKE SURE CAG B DOESNT HAVE THE TRIAL VERSION OF THE GAME ON HIS XBOX AND IF HE DOES MAKE SURE YOU DELETE IT BEFORE STARTING INCLUDING THE GAME SAVE. CAG A must of already purchased the content on his xbox.
  • Step 1: CAG A loads his/her Xbox Live Profile onto CAG A’s Xbox 360 memory unit. (System Blade-->Memory-->Hard Drive-->Gamer Profiles-->CAG A Gamer Profile-->Move-->MU)
  • Step 2: CAG A inserts CAG A’s memory unit into CAG B’s Xbox 360.
  • Step 3: If CAG B’s Xbox 360 is not powered on, power on CAG B’s Xbox 360.
  • Step 4: If CAG B’s Live Profile is signed in, sign CAG B’s Live Profile out. (Xbox Live Blade-->”X” Button-->Yes, sign out)
  • Step 5: Sign in CAG A’s Live Profile. (Xbox Live Blade-->Sign In-->CAG A Xbox Live MU)
  • Step 6: Go to the Xbox Live Marketplace and find the Xbox Live Arcade game CAG A had already purchased on his xbox earlier.
  • Step 7: Download the Xbox Live Arcade game by selecting “Download Again”. If prompted, save the content to “Hard Drive”. Wait for the game to finish downloading.
  • Step 8: Once the game is on the hard drive, sign CAG A’s Live Profile out. (Xbox Live Blade->”X” button-->Yes, sign out)
  • Step 9: Sign in CAG B’s Live Profile. (Xbox Live Blade-->Sign In-->CAG B Xbox Live HDD)
  • Step 10: Play the game that was just downloaded. CAG B now has a fully featured Xbox Live Arcade Game including Achievements and online play. In fact, any profile that signs into CAG B’s Xbox 360 will be able to play the fully featured Xbox Live Arcade Game.

[quote name='AlkalineProdigy']I've read through the steps shipwreck posted and i've tried something different. ill just use some of his steps and revise them. I have found a way to get both players xbox's registered to the game the where all player profiles on both xboxs can use the full content. MAKE SURE CAG B DOESNT HAVE THE TRIAL VERSION OF THE GAME ON HIS XBOX AND IF HE DOES MAKE SURE YOU DELETE IT BEFORE STARTING INCLUDING THE GAME SAVE. CAG A must of already purchased the content on his xbox.
  • Step 1: CAG A loads his/her Xbox Live Profile onto CAG A’s Xbox 360 memory unit. (System Blade-->Memory-->Hard Drive-->Gamer Profiles-->CAG A Gamer Profile-->Move-->MU)
  • Step 2: CAG A inserts CAG A’s memory unit into CAG B’s Xbox 360.
  • Step 3: If CAG B’s Xbox 360 is not powered on, power on CAG B’s Xbox 360.
  • Step 4: If CAG B’s Live Profile is signed in, sign CAG B’s Live Profile out. (Xbox Live Blade-->”X” Button-->Yes, sign out)
  • Step 5: Sign in CAG A’s Live Profile. (Xbox Live Blade-->Sign In-->CAG A Xbox Live MU)
  • Step 6: Go to the Xbox Live Marketplace and find the Xbox Live Arcade game CAG A had already purchased on his xbox earlier.
  • Step 7: Download the Xbox Live Arcade game by selecting “Download Again”. If prompted, save the content to “Hard Drive”. Wait for the game to finish downloading.
  • Step 8: Once the game is on the hard drive, sign CAG A’s Live Profile out. (Xbox Live Blade->”X” button-->Yes, sign out)
  • Step 9: Sign in CAG B’s Live Profile. (Xbox Live Blade-->Sign In-->CAG B Xbox Live HDD)
  • Step 10: Play the game that was just downloaded. CAG B now has a fully featured Xbox Live Arcade Game including Achievements and online play. In fact, any profile that signs into CAG B’s Xbox 360 will be able to play the fully featured Xbox Live Arcade Game.
[/QUOTE]

Hm. I am not sure I believe this. If this were true, then how come when people (like my friend) who have had to exchange their xbox for another one find that when they go to download their previously purchased games, only the gamertag that initially bought it can play it? (without being signed in for others to play)

i dont know why my friend had the same problem. I dont know why it works it does though ive had multiple people try it and confirm that. i have loads of friends with roomates that buy different games than each other. At first i misread the instructions he had listed since i had already purchased the games and my friend didnt. so i did what it lists in the instructions minus the purchasing the content on his xbox with my profile and made sure to sign out after the download was complete he signed in and the game was the full ver moved the profile back to my xbox and all my games worked perfectly.

[quote name='AlkalineProdigy']i dont know why my friend had the same problem. I dont know why it works it does though ive had multiple people try it and confirm that. i have loads of friends with roomates that buy different games than each other. At first i misread the instructions he had listed since i had already purchased the games and my friend didnt. so i did what it lists in the instructions minus the purchasing the content on his xbox with my profile and made sure to sign out after the download was complete he signed in and the game was the full ver moved the profile back to my xbox and all my games worked perfectly.[/QUOTE]

I've tried your steps several times in the past and CAG B was only able to use the trial versions of the game. I'm not sure how you are getting that to work, but I for one have not been able to duplicate your method.

It's interesting to see how Sony is planning to manage their DRM:
http://www.joystiq.com/2006/10/20/ps3-drm-downloads-support-five-systems/
Games bought through the PlayStation Store will be able to run on five-or-fewer systems. Of course, if you own more than five systems, you can probably afford to pay for the game again on the sixth. (Hah, we kid; you didn't get so rich by wasting money on a game you already bought.) The important application for the five-or-less rule is that you can log in to the PlayStation Store at a friend's house and re-download a game for free.

So it looks like Sony is even less restrictive than Microsoft. This makes me think that Shipwrecks method will probably always work. Microsoft has no reason to change it.

Forget the steps i posted before i found out why it worked i think i found the first software exploit of the xbox 360. First you need two xboxs two hard drives and a memory unit.

1. Move CAG A xbox live profile to the memory unit.
2. Make Take CAG B's hard drive and throw it on CAG A's XBOX
3. Move CAG A to CAG B hard drive
4. Login To CAG A's Profile
5. Find the game thats already been paid for by CAG A on the marketplace
6. Hit download again
7. Once finished log out of CAG A
8. Log in to CAG B
9. Play the downloaded game.
10. Move CAG A back to memory card
11. Disconnect Hard Drive From CAG A Xbox
12. Move everything Back To Normal and play

The reason this works i think is becuase of the how the game gets validated when you play. Since your moving the CAG B's Drive to CAG A's xbox it shows the console key for the game validating it as a full copy. Please try it.

[quote name='AlkalineProdigy']Forget the steps i posted before i found out why it worked i think i found the first software exploit of the xbox 360. First you need two xboxs two hard drives and a memory unit.

6. Hit download again
8. Log in to CAG B

The reason this works i think is becuase of the how the game gets validated when you play. Since your moving the CAG B's Drive to CAG A's xbox it shows the console key for the game validating it as a full copy. Please try it.[/QUOTE]

Very interesting. I don't have an MU though, so I wonder if it would work with recovery.

The reason i changed the steps is because i told my friend the steps over live but one thing he didnt tell me is that he took the hard drive off his roommates xbox and put it on his. He is going to make a video on sunday using street fighter as an example and i will post it. Hopefully someone tries it before then.

[quote name='AlkalineProdigy']Forget the steps i posted before i found out why it worked i think i found the first software exploit of the xbox 360. First you need two xboxs two hard drives and a memory unit.

6. Hit download again
8. Log in to CAG B

The reason this works i think is becuase of the how the game gets validated when you play. Since your moving the CAG B's Drive to CAG A's xbox it shows the console key for the game validating it as a full copy. Please try it.[/QUOTE]

I have still not had a chance to try out your method. However, I still don't see it any different than my friends situation when he got to keep his hard drive but replaced his 360, none of his games would work for other accounts even if he redownloaded. Only he had access to them.

me and my friend has been doing this all day with account recovery and we cant get it to work , are we doing something wrong??? Does it work with games already purchased or do you have to purchase the content or what ever at the time of the process???

[quote name='ninjalunchbox79']me and my friend has been doing this all day with account recovery and we cant get it to work , are we doing something wrong??? Does it work with games already purchased or do you have to purchase the content or what ever at the time of the process???[/QUOTE]

Are you talking about the steps in the first post or AlkalineProdigy's steps? For the steps I outlined, the games can't already be purchased.

[quote name='AlkalineProdigy']ill post a vid as soon as i can. As i have not tested it with account recovery i dont know if it works.[/quote]

please do...hell...any video on any working method will be greatly appreciated :)

[quote name='AlkalineProdigy']The reason i changed the steps is because i told my friend the steps over live but one thing he didnt tell me is that he took the hard drive off his roommates xbox and put it on his. He is going to make a video on sunday using street fighter as an example and i will post it. Hopefully someone tries it before then.[/QUOTE]

I tried your method today and it didn't work. CAG B was only able to play the trial version when he reconnected his hard drive to his X360.

you made sure his profile played the game on your xbox before you disconnected it. i will post a video soon enough im having trouble finding the driver for my sony handycam and since sony wants to charge $60+ for a new disk i might just have to look for it the non legit way.

Finally got to try this out. Worked wonderfully. Took literally 5 mins.
I still REALLY want Smash TV and Geom. Wars. If anyone out there is trustworthy and willing to do this, PLEASE send me a PM! Thanks!

[quote name='jPoD']Finally got to try this out. Worked wonderfully. Took literally 5 mins.
I still REALLY want Smash TV and Geom. Wars. If anyone out there is trustworthy and willing to do this, PLEASE send me a PM! Thanks![/quote]
Let him use my name through Acct. Recovery.. everything went smoothly and now thanks to him I can play Pac-Man! w00t w00t!

Thanks for the heads up on the info shipwreck. Hoping to get a ton of live games through this feature in the near future.

Any CAGs wanting to buy Doom drop me an instant Message at E360Miller and we can hopefully work somethigng out.. dying to play this game! thanks

[quote name='AlkalineProdigy']you made sure his profile played the game on your xbox before you disconnected it. i will post a video soon enough im having trouble finding the driver for my sony handycam and since sony wants to charge $60+ for a new disk i might just have to look for it the non legit way.[/QUOTE]

I followed your directions exactly how they were written. He played it on my 360 and then when he went back to his 360, he could only play the trial version.

[quote name='MillerTime2523']Let him use my name through Acct. Recovery.. everything went smoothly and now thanks to him I can play Pac-Man! w00t w00t!

Thanks for the heads up on the info shipwreck. Hoping to get a ton of live games through this feature in the near future.

Any CAGs wanting to buy Doom drop me an instant Message at E360Miller and we can hopefully work somethigng out.. dying to play this game! thanks[/QUOTE]

Glad to see some CAGs using the info.

Ok... I need a little help.

I have a well established GT and about 5 arcade games that I want to 'share' with my friend who just got a 360. I do not have a memory card.

When I try to do account recovery on his machine it basically says it will void my account on my 360. Is there a way to get my account on his 360 without nullifying my own? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

[quote name='captmurphy']Ok... I need a little help.

I have a well established GT and about 5 arcade games that I want to 'share' with my friend who just got a 360. I do not have a memory card.

When I try to do account recovery on his machine it basically says it will void my account on my 360. Is there a way to get my account on his 360 without nullifying my own? Any help would be greatly appreciated.[/QUOTE]

First of all, it won't hurt your gamertag. The warning says you might lose data. But many of us recover our tags all the time and have never had a problem.

Second, you may not want to do it just because in order for him to play those 5 games, he is going to have to sign your account in, launch the game, and then play with his second controller. And every time he signs you in, you are going to have to recover your gamertag on your machine.

That's why in shipwrecks faq, you BUY the game on your friends machine first. Otherwise, it's probably not really worth it.

Edit: Someone for the love of all that's holy, tell me where I can get a memory unit > $25!

Why the second controller?

The way I understand it, the person who buys the game puts his profile on the other persons machine and downloads it again.

So the only way to have a profile on two machines simultaniously is to have a memory card? I recovered his account and it wont let me access it from the other xbox.

[quote name='captmurphy']

The way I understand it, the person who buys the game puts his profile on the other persons machine and downloads it again.

[/QUOTE]

Nope. If this were the case, there would be no usage restrictions, everyone could easily share games.

The MACHINE the game is downloaded on when you initially buy the game, every gamertag on that machine can play the game without restriction. Every machine you put your gamertag on AFTER that, and download the same game, only YOUR gamertag can play the full version. However, others can play the full version of the game on those machines with other controllers, as long as you are signed in.

Thanks for fielding all of these questions thrustbucket. If I knew where to get a cheap memory unit, you'd be the first to know. :)

Does account recovery knock out all other XBL accounts on a system? If I were to recover my friends account on my system would my account go away or would they both be in the found profile list?

[quote name='The Boom Camel']Does account recovery knock out all other XBL accounts on a system? If I were to recover my friends account on my system would my account go away or would they both be in the found profile list?[/QUOTE]

They would both be found.

So if I recover my profile on my friends xbox we then both be able to play games like GoW and Halo 2 at the same time on his box? If so, that's cool. We just assumed my account would cancel out his.

Wouldn't that be the easiest way to get this technique to work if you could really trust the person? Then the account would always be there and you could easily switch back and forth? Or does that not work?

I have a question, my friend purchased arcade games I want his xbox. I then used my memory card put his profile on it, then downloaded those games onto my HDD, however when I go to play them they are only trial games. Did the fall update patch this or am I missing something, thanks.

[quote name='The_Virus']I have a question, my friend purchased arcade games I want his xbox. I then used my memory card put his profile on it, then downloaded those games onto my HDD, however when I go to play them they are only trial games. Did the fall update patch this or am I missing something, thanks.[/QUOTE]

Nothing changed with the fall update. You are not understanding how this works. If he purchased them on his 360, you are only going to be able to play the trial versions on your 360 unless his account is signed in on Live on your 360. Everything that is described in the original post is still valid after the fall update. I just bought Contra using account recovery with a friend late last week.

[quote name='The Boom Camel']So if I recover my profile on my friends xbox we then both be able to play games like GoW and Halo 2 at the same time on his box? If so, that's cool. We just assumed my account would cancel out his.[/quote]

Yes, you would both be able to play at the same time on games that support it.

[quote name='The Boom Camel']
Wouldn't that be the easiest way to get this technique to work if you could really trust the person? Then the account would always be there and you could easily switch back and forth? Or does that not work?[/QUOTE]

Yes, account recovery works just as well as using a memory card. Once your friend gets home though, he would have to reauthorize his profile on his 360 and this would deauthorize his profile on your 360. The profile is only authorized on one 360 at a time.

Maybe I'll write up detailed instructions on how to do this with Account Recovery, but I didn't want to get into explaining that since I think Microsoft goes through how to use Account Recovery somewhere. I also didn't want people just giving their account info out to other people without truly understanding what they are doing. If you trust somebody with Account Recovery though, by all means use that method and just ignore the steps in the guide about transfering the profiles by memory unit.

[quote name='shipwreck']Maybe I'll write up detailed instructions on how to do this with Account Recovery, but I didn't want to get into explaining that since I think Microsoft goes through how to use Account Recovery somewhere. I also didn't want people just giving their account info out to other people without truly understanding what they are doing. If you trust somebody with Account Recovery though, by all means use that method and just ignore the steps in the guide about transfering the profiles by memory unit.[/quote]
I've done it through Account recovery 3 times now. I'll go through the procedure again and write something up for you to add to the OP if you'd like. Basically its the same thing.

:EDIT: Read post below. I'm PRETTY sure that this is all correct, haven't done it in a while. It's pretty much all the same stuff. If theres anything wrong with it, feel free to correct me, but i'm almost positive its correct.

:EDIT2: Tried to post this on another website.. basically they locked it and all said i was scamming microsoft. WTF? http://www.xbox360achievements.org/forum/showthread.php?t=12892

Millertime2325's Guide to Half-Priced Marketplace content Via account recovery:

Minimum Requirements:
  1. A friend with an Xbox Live Gamertag (Silver or Gold) that owns an Xbox 360 with a hard drive.
  2. You must have an Xbox Live Gamertag Profile (Silver or Gold) an own an Xbox 360 with a hard drive.
  3. You must both have access to Xbox Live with your respective Xbox 360’s
  4. You must have Marketplace Points on at least one of the accounts
  5. In order to get the 50% off price, both friends agree to pay half of the full price of the content.
How to Get the Cheap Content (AKA The Part You Care About):

Part 1: Getting the Content on CAG B’s Xbox 360
  • Step 1: CAG A gives CAG B his or her information attactched to their Xbox Live account. This information is Gamertag, Password, and E-mail address. (NOTE: For security purposes, it would help CAG A to temporarily change his/her password before exchainging it with CAG B.)
  • Step 2: If CAG B's Xbox 360 is not powered on, power on CAG B's Xbox 360.
  • Step 3: If CAG B's Live profile is signed in, Sign CAG B's Live Profile out. (Xbox Live Blade--> "X" Button--> Yes, Sign out).
  • Step 4: Download CAG A's Xbox Live via account recovery (Xbox Live Blade--> Recover Gamertag from Xbox Live)
  • Step 5: Input CAG A's information into the given fields, and wait until it downloads.
  • Step 6: Go to the Xbox Live Marketplace and find the Xbox Live Arcade game CAG A and CAG B want to download using the Marketplace Points on CAG A’s Live Profile.
  • Step 7: Download the Xbox Live Arcade game by selecting “Confirm Download”. If prompted, save the content to “Hard Drive”. Wait for the game to finish downloading.
Part 2: Using the Content on CAG A’s Xbox 360

• Step 1: If CAG A’s Xbox 360 is not powered on, power on CAG A’s Xbox 360.
  • Step 2: Download CAG A's Xbox Live via account recovery (Xbox Live Blade--> Recover Gamertag from Xbox Live)
  • Step 3: Go to the Xbox Live Marketplace and find the Xbox Live Arcade game CAG A downloaded on CAG B’s Xbox 360.
  • Step 4: Step 5: Re-Download the Xbox Live Arcade game. This will not cost any Marketplace Points since CAG A has already bought this game. (Game Download Screen-->Full Game-->Download Again)
  • Step 5: Play the game that was just downloaded. CAG A now has a fully featured Xbox Live Arcade Game including Achievements and online play. The game is also still fully functioning on CAG B’s Xbox 360. CAG A and CAG B can even play online multiplayer with each other for games that support that feature.
Part 3: Using the Content of CAG A’s Xbox 360 with Other Profiles

(This section can also be used to take your profile to another person’s house and allow them to play the full versions of Xbox Live Arcade Games under their Profile and earn Achievements on their Xbox 360.)

Minimum Requirements:
  1. More than 1 Xbox 360 controller
  2. More than 1 Xbox 360 profile (it does not matter if it is an actual Live profile or whether it is just a local profile, but all features associated with the level of that profile still apply). For these instructions, we will just use CAG C as the other profile.
The Actual Steps:
  • Step 1: If CAG A is signed in, sign CAG A out. (This is not actually necessary, but it’s generally easier to do this so that CAG C can use controller #1.) (Xbox Live Blade-->”X” button-->Yes, sign out)
  • Step 2: Using controller #1, sign in CAG C’s Profile. (Xbox Live Blade-->Sign In-->CAG B HDD)
  • Step 3: Using controller #2, sign in CAG A’s Xbox Live Profile (Xbox Guide Button-->Sign In-->CAG A Xbox Live)
  • Step 4: Using controller #1, play the Xbox Live Arcade Game. CAG C is now playing the fully functioning game including Achievements. If CAG A signs out, the game will return to Demo form.

Does this not work after the new update or something?

My friend has a purchased version of Uno. I used a Xeno Connectivity Kit to put his account on my HDD. I signed in with him, clicked Download Again, signed out, signed into my own account, but it showed as the trial version?

I either did something wrong, or a Connectivity Kit doesn't work the way a memory card would (IDK why it wouldn't).

bread's done
Back