Shipwreck’s Guide To Half-Priced Xbox Live Arcade Games and Marketplace Content

What's the best way to allow my kids (who have their own xbox now) to play content I've downloaded over the years on our original xbox?

[quote name='adam31']What's the best way to allow my kids (who have their own xbox now) to play content I've downloaded over the years on our original xbox?[/QUOTE]

I'm guessing you downloaded it using your gamertag. Go to xbox.com and do a transfer with your gamertag to their 360, just keep in mind that you'll need to be signed into LIVE to access it with yours now, only your gamertag will be able to access it on your 360, and inthe future any purchases that you want to share have to be done on their 360 using your gamertag.

Personally I do the opposite, all my purchases are through my son's gamertag on my 360. That way anyone can play it on my main 360 and he can sign in and play it anywhere.

[quote name='hollowfreak']I'm guessing you downloaded it using your gamertag. Go to xbox.com and do a transfer with your gamertag to their 360, just keep in mind that you'll need to be signed into LIVE to access it with yours now, only your gamertag will be able to access it on your 360, and inthe future any purchases that you want to share have to be done on their 360 using your gamertag.

Personally I do the opposite, all my purchases are through my son's gamertag on my 360. That way anyone can play it on my main 360 and he can sign in and play it anywhere.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the help. I followed your advice and it went smoothly.

[quote name='hollowfreak']I'm going to assume by new account you mean the one he bought and here's how it would work. The new account would only be able to access any purchased items (DLC) on his 360 if it was signed in and none of his other accounts would be able access said DLC until he did a transfer with the account to his 360 and then who ever (possibly you. Lol.) was still playing said DLC on the console it was linked to would lose it ... and not be a very happy camper.[/QUOTE]

I'm not sure I understand. Shouldn't it work just like shipwreck's guide, with the only difference being instead of A going to B's house and using B's Xbox, A is an account with lots of points - so B would still have the stuff on his xobx just like before, right?

[quote name='coren']I'm not sure I understand. Shouldn't it work just like shipwreck's guide, with the only difference being instead of A going to B's house and using B's Xbox, A is an account with lots of points - so B would still have the stuff on his xobx just like before, right?[/QUOTE]

Sorry I went back and reread your other post, I thought the purchased account had games not just points and yeah you're right B would still have the dlc but I can still see things possibly going wrong with the whole scenario. I sure as hell wouldn't trust it. If at a later date someone did a transfer with A to another console your roommate would lose all the dlc he purchased with that account.

Question: If CAG A and CAG B have already downloaded a bunch of Rock Band songs can they somehow get CAG A's downloaded songs on CAG B's hard drive for CAG B to play whenever he wants (and vice versa)?

[quote name='javeryh']Question: If CAG A and CAG B have already downloaded a bunch of Rock Band songs can they somehow get CAG A's downloaded songs on CAG B's hard drive for CAG B to play whenever he wants (and vice versa)?[/QUOTE]

CAG A would have to do a transfer to CAG B's 360 and vice versa but then you'd both lose the ability for other profiles to play your original dlc on your 360 though.

[quote name='hollowfreak']Sorry I went back and reread your other post, I thought the purchased account had games not just points and yeah you're right B would still have the dlc but I can still see things possibly going wrong with the whole scenario. I sure as hell wouldn't trust it. If at a later date someone did a transfer with A to another console your roommate would lose all the dlc he purchased with that account.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I figured. I told him to try and get a refund, cuz the original owner (or the people from that site) could try and get it back at any time. We'll see if he has any luck. Thanks

[quote name='hollowfreak']CAG A would have to do a transfer to CAG B's 360 and vice versa but then you'd both lose the ability for other profiles to play your original dlc on your 360 though.[/QUOTE]

OK, I just read through the first 250 posts or so and it is pretty clear that this method does not work for content already purchased. Oh well.

Has anyone tried this with Games on Demand. The method works perfectly between my brother and I for arcade games and DLC, but I'm skeptical on dishing out upwards of $20 on a full game not knowing for sure the method will work.

Used this today with Peggle and Plants vs Zombies and it worked. Just wondering but will this work with a dlc code from the package?

IE Halo Reach Legendary flaming helmet.
Redeem the code on A's account online.
Sign in on B console using A's account through a flash drive.
Download and sign out.
Log on A account and download.

If I didn't already have the Klassic costumes from MK I would try this with my Katana code.

^ As far as I can tell you can't share avatar items.

-------------------------

Has anyone gotten this to work on Halo Reach maps? I've been sharing between two consoles for quite some time, but the Halo Reach maps just don't seem to work. Wondering if its similar to the Rockstar pass that only works on the console you first download it to.

This worked great for DLC and XBLA games. I recovered my account on a friend's console (didnt bring it or anything, just logged in using my email and pw), bought some shit, downloaded it in full, logged out, came home, recovered my account again, and redownloaded everything.

[quote name='henhowc']Does anyone know if it will cause any problems if I previously downloaded the trial version of the XBLA game since its technically the full game?[/QUOTE]

It shouldn't. My kid was playing the demo of From Dust on his console and then we bought it with his gamertag on my console and now we both have it.

I can confirm that trials can be downloaded prior to your friend unlocking the game. I had my friend download the trials for call of duty classic and Gatling gears this week. I went over and unlocked them and they worked just fine.

I wonder if/how this works for these "season passes" I've been seeing for LA Noire and Mortal Kombat. I'd like to use This method for the gears 3 "season pass" Anybody?

Shipwreck/Mods,
Would Microsoft consider the practice described in the OP marketplace theft? Or as long as your not using the transfer tool to put the content on your XBox it's ok?

Reason I ask is I saw a CAG blog today highlighting a thread in the XBox forums about console bans and from the discussion in there, MS seems to be cracking down hard on what they call Marketplace theft.

In the OP it clearly states in Microsoft's terms

Originally Posted by Usage Restrictions
The item you are trying to download is subject to usage restrictions. You can use this item on the first Xbox 360 console that you used to download it. Access to this item will also be granted to all users on this first console. If you transfer the item using a memory unit or other storage device, you will also be able to use it on other Xbox 360 consoles, but you’ll need to sign in to Xbox Live with your Xbox Live account on that console before accessing the item.

I don't see how they could consider it theft.

[quote name='VersionJ']
I wonder if/how this works for these "season passes" I've been seeing for LA Noire and Mortal Kombat. I'd like to use This method for the gears 3 "season pass" Anybody?[/QUOTE]

Does not work for LA Noire Rockstar Pass. Can't speak for Mortal Kombat or Gears (obviously). :)

So, if my brother logged in as me on his xbox and purchased the a CoD mappack, for example, and then logged out and back in as him, he'd have access to it? And, then I would log into my xbox and have access to the same MP?

Then, could we play eachother on that DLC?

[quote name='CCCHeel']So, if my brother logged in as me on his xbox and purchased the a CoD mappack, for example, and then logged out and back in as him, he'd have access to it? And, then I would log into my xbox and have access to the same MP?

Then, could we play eachother on that DLC?[/QUOTE]

that is exactly what you would do, yes.

It was brought up earlier, but never answered. Any idea if this will work with Games on Demand? Definately interested in Code Veronica for $10, but $20 is waaaay too much for me

[quote name='victimsofadown']It was brought up earlier, but never answered. Any idea if this will work with Games on Demand? Definately interested in Code Veronica for $10, but $20 is waaaay too much for me[/QUOTE]

It will work, my brother and i did it with RE 4

Got a question here. Me and my brother have two separate XBOX's and used to do this method for a while but stopped doing it for some reason. He's got games I would like to have access to on my XBOX and vice versa. Before transferring licenses I want to make sure it will work..

If he transfers all his licenses to my account first, all he has to do is re-download them on my XBOX via his gamertag and I should be able to play them, correct? What about if I then transfer my licenses to his XBOX after he already transferred? Would it remove the ones I got from him again and give him all mine? I am rather confused.. Any insight would be appreciated.

Yeah the transfer and redownload will work, that's what I did with the kid's gamertag when I got my 360 back from repair and as far as you transferring your licenses to his 360, then you both will have both sets of licenses. You'll just have to be signed in to LIVE to use your own and only your gamertag will be able to access them on your 360, on his 360 any gamertag will be able to, and vice versa on his 360.

Alright. The way I was thinking was it actually REMOVED the licenses from the original console but apparently not. Gonna probably do this later. Kind of silly since we both live in the same household but since we purchase online content so far apart; we usually forget to use the method described here. Thanks for the info!

Question: If a friend of mine bought content on his Xbox, would he be able to just recover his gamertag and re download all the games he had on my Xbox, unlocking the full games as well.

He could but then only his gamertag would be able to access them, not yours. I'm guessIng you'd want him to do a transfer of licenses to your 360 but keep in mind he'll always have to be signed into LIVE in order to access content on his 360 and ONLY his gamertag would be able to acces it on his 360 but any gamertag would be able to on yours after then transfer.

[quote name='csidegamer']Anyone try this with the Catwoman content in Arkham City?
[/QUOTE]

I would like to know this also. What about stuff like pre-order bonuses? (Specifically Professor Genki's Hyper Ordinary Pre-Order Pack from Saint's Row the Third.)

Anyone?

Trenched changed it's name in the US to Iron Brigade to match the UK name. However, in doing so, it has been disabled on consoles which have it through game-sharing. Starting the game will result in it attempting to update, which it can't do unless you sign in as the account on which the game was bought. Use the purchasing account, let the update complete, start the game up, then quit and log out. Now that console is capable to run the game again.

This just happened to my friend with whom I shared this game, and I figured this out for him. Now the game works again. Just a heads-up!

Time to play with the gears 3 season pass. DL to their xbox then I should be able to use it on xbox as long as I'm online. okay.

Couldn't we use this method to get the new Call of Duty MW3 Elite maps?

Like my bro already has elite and I sign in under his name and download the two new maps even though I don't have elite on my Xbox.

[quote name='clevelandmvp']Couldn't we use this method to get the new Call of Duty MW3 Elite maps?

Like my bro already has elite and I sign in under his name and download the two new maps even though I don't have elite on my Xbox.[/QUOTE]

While you won't be able to transfer the ELITE subscription, you can download the two maps, since they're a separate purchase in the download history

Elite was updated a few weeks ago so the maps show on System 1 for all to play, and then for Elite Acct wherever. I purposefully DL'd on my wife's Xbox 1st, then mine. This wasn't the case at first, but Activision fixed it. Now if they'd add Clan challenges...

Elite works, definitely. Side note, got 1 copy of ME3 and linked online pass to Acct 1 on system 1. Then loaded Acct 2 on system 1 and it allowed online. Then took Acct 1 to system 2 and it loaded online pass too. Finally to top it all off, ME3 is 2 disc's, both with Multiplayer option. Yep, 2 people can play on 2 separate systems with 2 separate accounts with 1 "copy".

[quote name='heatison777']Elite works, definitely. Side note, got 1 copy of ME3 and linked online pass to Acct 1 on system 1. Then loaded Acct 2 on system 1 and it allowed online. Then took Acct 1 to system 2 and it loaded online pass too. Finally to top it all off, ME3 is 2 disc's, both with Multiplayer option. Yep, 2 people can play on 2 separate systems with 2 separate accounts with 1 "copy".[/QUOTE]Thanks for the update. I wasn't sure if "online passes" could be split, but this confirms it.

bread's done
Back