Should I fight this eBay buyer? [UPDATED 1/24]

[quote name='HyperG']I have had problems with buying cards from Target.com , where the card simply was never activated to begin with. If you let those cards sit forever, and never verify that they are actively working, you probably are at fault for it. It's sad but true, I had to wait a few days for target.com to get my card to work which was a year card, but in the end glad it was resolved.[/QUOTE]

He's already contacted MS and verified the code was good & that it was also redeemed the same day he emailed the code to the buyer.

It's just a PoS buyer scamming people out of money so that he can get a free Xbox Live subscription. Makes me wonder if this is some kid that's screwing people over with his parent's PP account.

OP, I'd save those emails, that way there's proof other sellers are confirming he's pulled the same crap multiple times.

[quote name='tangytangerine']He's already contacted MS and verified the code was good & that it was also redeemed the same day he emailed the code to the buyer.

It's just a PoS buyer scamming people out of money so that he can get a free Xbox Live subscription. Makes me wonder if this is some kid that screwing people over with his parent's PP account.

OP, I'd save those emails, that way there's proof other sellers are confirming he's pulled the same crap multiple times.[/QUOTE]

I made sure to contact them through eBay messages and saved copies as PDFs. I submitted both of the sellers' messages to PayPal. I hope they actually look at them.

[quote name='btw1217']I made sure to contact them through eBay messages and saved copies as PDFs. I submitted both of the sellers' messages to PayPal. I hope they actually look at them.[/QUOTE]

You have plenty of evidence supporting your case. Time to see just how fair Ebay is when dealing with disputes. I really hope you win

I'd mail it to him and then when you lose, contact the post office about postal fraud. The post office doesn't look kindly on this type of thing.

Surprised no one has mentioned this:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/271123531180

this scammer that the OP is dealing with apparently sold an avatar item and sent as email. even put "e-mail delivery" in not only the description but also the actual title!

if this guy did this to me, I might get some people I know in jersey to scout his address. maybe even call up the USMC and see if this guy is enlisted! wonder if anyone was ever discharged for something stupider that ebay fraud.

Luckily I've never had any issues on eBay. Always stomach turning to see stories like these. Perhaps you can take solace in the fact that this guy is such a lowlife and so poor that he has to do this stuff. Most likely he will stay that way for the rest of his life. You may have to concede defeat in this battle, but you have won the metaphorical war that is succeeding in life.

[quote name='cfootball1']Luckily I've never had any issues on eBay. Always stomach turning to see stories like these. Perhaps you can take solace in the fact that this guy is such a lowlife and so poor that he has to do this stuff. Most likely he will stay that way for the rest of his life. You may have to concede defeat in this battle, but you have won the metaphorical war that is succeeding in life.[/QUOTE]

I told my girlfriend something along the same lines when I was initially upset. Either that or he'll become a CEO at a major financial organization, it's a coin toss.

I doubt it, this is a microcosm of his entire existence. It takes a specific personality to go through this much effort for 30 freaking dollars. The guy can't even afford his Xbox Live.

I had no idea the way ebay has gone since I signed up here and read so many horror stories like this, last week I was reading about a guy who send some PS2 games and delayed sending them to buy sleeves for them and ended up getting done over. And a lad who had 2 items in his picture but the item was clearly stated as being sold separate yet still got shafted.

I worked in a bar years back and one of the patrons owner a garage. He sold 2 disc brakes with callipers and pads for £140 on ebay and got stitched up when the buyer returned worn ones to him in the box he sent them in ! Unfortunately, the seller 'Bish' as he was called, is a bit of a naughty lad and took the time to drive over to his house which was only a 1 hour drive away and take his brakes back and leave the scammer with a fractured eye socket and concussion.

Well, I've decided that if I lose this dispute, I'm walking away from eBay after 12 years of NEVER RECEIVING A SINGLE COMPLAINT. Sure, one bad apple in over 500 transactions is not bad odds, but if I can't count on eBay/PayPal to have my back against blatant abusers, then I don't want to sell there. Let them become a house of thieves if that's what they think is best. Most of what I sell is video game related. If only I knew somewhere else I could sell them. Oh wait, I do. Maybe it's where I should have stuck with in the first place.

[quote name='Kevbo887']Yup. Sure was. Im not sure if I explained myself clearly enough or not (was half asleep) The guy changed his paypal address after he paid, and before I shipped. Then emailed me. After I had shipped, he changed his address back. Sorry for the confusion.

Either way, he lost more getting banned on xbox than he spent on halo 3, but still aggravating none the less. I refuse to do auctions on ebay now. Buy it now only with immediate payment. Biggest reason I stopped auctions was because of people not paying. People can bid on 10 of the same items, all ending near each other, and choose which one they get lowest. Nothing us as a buyer can do incept for send a second chance offer (which rarely works because usually 24 hrs goes by.) Ive had this happen to me my last 20 auctions. All of them I had to relist 2-3 times. All buyers were 50+ in positive reviews. Disgusting what Ebay has turned into.[/QUOTE]

I'm curious as to how exactly you got the guy banned?

[quote name='btw1217']Well, I've decided that if I lose this dispute, I'm walking away from eBay after 12 years of NEVER RECEIVING A SINGLE COMPLAINT. Sure, one bad apple in over 500 transactions is not bad odds, but if I can't count on eBay/PayPal to have my back against blatant abusers, then I don't want to sell there. Let them become a house of thieves if that's what they think is best. Most of what I sell is video game related. If only I knew somewhere else I could sell them. Oh wait, I do. Maybe it's where I should have stuck with in the first place.[/QUOTE]

You can get scammed on here just as bad as on Ebay or Amazon. It's just a given in any business that there will be unscrupulous people who will try to get one over on you.

I say stick with it and dont let this one guy have so much influence over you. Don't give him that satisfaction.

[quote name='AugustAPC']What is this guy's account? So I can add him to blocked buyer.[/QUOTE]

It was mentioned in an earlier post, usmc_products.

Is there an option to call in to ebay or paypal to discuss your case? I'm sure the people dealing with these just half-ass everything. They might pay more attention on the phone.

I am pretty upset that you have clear proof from the other sellers that he is a scammer. If it were me and there was an option to phone in, I would call them up and say 'look, listen to me, i have proof right here that he scammed other sellers'. Man I would be so angry if this happened to me. They wouldn't hear the end of it.

[quote name='Yamato']Is there an option to call in to ebay or paypal to discuss your case? I'm sure the people dealing with these just half-ass everything. They might pay more attention on the phone.

I am pretty upset that you have clear proof from the other sellers that he is a scammer. If it were me and there was an option to phone in, I would call them up and say 'look, listen to me, i have proof right here that he scammed other sellers'. Man I would be so angry if this happened to me. They wouldn't hear the end of it.[/QUOTE]

It is disputes such as these that led eBay to banning all transactions involving non-tangible items (i.e. DLC / Xbox Live Codes / Digital Copies etc.).

It takes too many resources for them to try and solve a dispute. That is why they modified their T&C and the seller will almost always automatically be at fault for listing the forbidden item in the first place.

[quote name='GBAstar']It is disputes such as these that led eBay to banning all transactions involving non-tangible items (i.e. DLC / Xbox Live Codes / Digital Copies etc.).

It takes too many resources for them to try and solve a dispute. That is why they modified their T&C and the seller will almost always automatically be at fault for listing the forbidden item in the first place.[/QUOTE]

I'm really hoping PayPal doesn't jump the gun and actually takes a second to look at this, since it is a tangible item. I purchased a label before the dispute was filed on Saturday and shipped it out yesterday and it's on its way. We'll see what happens.

[quote name='btw1217']I'm really hoping PayPal doesn't jump the gun and actually takes a second to look at this, since it is a tangible item. I purchased a label before the dispute was filed on Saturday and shipped it out yesterday and it's on its way. We'll see what happens.[/QUOTE]

And that will hopefully be your saving grace. They do allow the sale of Gift Cards and XBL physical subscriptions (Hell buy.com and newegg.com eBay stores carry them).

The problem is that most cases get about 10 seconds worth of attention from eBay/PayPal reps.

Regardless this buyer should be gone from the site.....

It just dawned on me this afternoon that I can view his bidding history and warn other sellers. I was too late for this one, but now have another testimonial to add to my dispute and another soldier on my squad.

Dear ticketusmaximus,

Thank you for that information, the buyer actually just opened a case against me for a full refund of the item. I escalated the case with ebay, as well as call into customer service to include the information that you have relayed to me. I had a feeling when I sold the item to him because of the low feedback score and that he is a newbie to eBay that I am at jeopardy for such an occurance to take place. I wish you luck with your case, and I let eBay know that I am not the only one he has done this to. I hope by including your name into my eBay case it will help us both be absolved by this scammer.

Thanks again!

- kanellopoul

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='btw1217']It just dawned on me this afternoon that I can view his bidding history and warn other sellers. I was too late for this one, but now have another testimonial to add to my dispute and another soldier on my squad.

Dear ticketusmaximus,

Thank you for that information, the buyer actually just opened a case against me for a full refund of the item. I escalated the case with ebay, as well as call into customer service to include the information that you have relayed to me. I had a feeling when I sold the item to him because of the low feedback score and that he is a newbie to eBay that I am at jeopardy for such an occurance to take place. I wish you luck with your case, and I let eBay know that I am not the only one he has done this to. I hope by including your name into my eBay case it will help us both be absolved by this scammer.

Thanks again!

- kanellopoul[/QUOTE]
Man, this is exciting! How will it end? Will justice prevail? Find out on the next episode of Dragon Ball Z!

[quote name='twiceborn']I'm curious as to how exactly you got the guy banned?[/QUOTE]

Contacted microsoft and complained that it was a stolen product (explained full situation) and them demanded they look into it and RESPOND back to me. They called me a few days later and told me they couldn't do anything about my situation, but the user had been banned due to having a hacked xbox. Works for me! One crime got him busted for another crime.

Called PayPal to speak with a human and explain what the buyer was doing. They couldn't care less. They gave me the "yeahhhh. okay. uh huh. okayyyy. buh byeee" She told me they would flag his account. I could tell she was lying. Hate PayPal.

looks like he's purchased a few more Microsoft points auctions. amazing eBay doesn't find it odd how many cases he's opened in his first month of being a member.

[quote name='Yamato']Man, this is exciting! How will it end? Will justice prevail? Find out on the next episode of Dragon Ball Z![/QUOTE]

9ac6742d_Eating-Popcorn-3-michael-jackson-21626092-257-192.gif

Not that it's any big surprise at this point, but another seller scammed:

Dear ticketusmaximus,

Yes! I reported him to Ebay, but, of course, Ebay sided on his side. He is a scammer and a fraud. You most likely sent him a code and he said it didn't work. Tell him you called microsoft and they said it was redeemed shortly after you sent it to him. This seems to work for most scammers I have. Good luck with dealing with him.

- cart_can

[quote name='Gamer SDP']Surprised no one has mentioned this:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/271123531180

this scammer that the OP is dealing with apparently sold an avatar item and sent as email. even put "e-mail delivery" in not only the description but also the actual title!

if this guy did this to me, I might get some people I know in jersey to scout his address. maybe even call up the USMC and see if this guy is enlisted! wonder if anyone was ever discharged for something stupider that ebay fraud.[/QUOTE]

in case the OP didn't see my earlier comment.

also, how can you view what items he has just bid on?

[quote name='Gamer SDP']in case the OP didn't see my earlier comment.

also, how can you view what items he has just bid on?[/QUOTE]

Yeah, the buyer is hypocritical among other flaws. If only the guy he sold to would scam him. Then again, maybe that's how it all got started.

You can do an advanced search for "Items by Bidder"

How do some of these people do this stuff without feeling like major douchebags?

[quote name='Rozz']How do some of these people do this stuff without feeling like major douchebags?[/QUOTE]

People are scum. eBay wouldn't give a shit if a scammer came to your home, slit your throat and took back all the money they gave you and stole the rest of your inventory. As long as they get their share of the profit, you might as well be a piece of dog shit to them.

Here is a little shit of a criminal, who probably thinks he's smart as fuck, waltzing around, stealing from multiple sellers and making hardly any effort to conceal it. And here's eBay, all but sitting on the sidelines, watching him and giggling.

You're gonna win this, he is being way too reckless and PayPal will notice how many cases he and the sellers have opened.

[quote name='cfootball1']You're gonna win this, he is being way too reckless and PayPal will notice how many cases he and the sellers have opened.[/QUOTE]

I really hope so, but PayPal all but told me if it's under $25, they don't give a shit. She said if he were to do this enough, his account would get flagged. I asked how many times that took, because I'm looking at at least 7 times within TWO WEEKS, and she just said "Well, it all depends." I just wanted to bust out laughing.

Another one:

Dear ticketusmaximus,

yes same situation, I knew he was lying but how do you prove it? You would think ebay would catch on.Also be careful because I don't think that is the only name he is doing it under

- pas7894

Also, one of the sellers I was talking to had his dispute resolved within 3 hours. He called eBay and let them know he wasn't the only one, after I tipped him off. He got his money back, but so did the buyer.

Sucks to hear your story and I'm rooting for you. This thread has changed my ebay selling habits and it's too bad that it has to be that way (both for ebay and the world in general).

Never understood the switch to not allowing buyers to leave negative feedback. I understand the idea of retaliatory negative feedback, but I think most people would prefer to see it since it's easy enough to see patterns in the feedback like what this buyer is trying to do.

PS: If this guy was active military I imagine a phone call to his local Marine Corps base would be interesting. Wishful thinking that it could be that easy, though.

[quote name='Not Eric']Sucks to hear your story and I'm rooting for you. This thread has changed my ebay selling habits and it's too bad that it has to be that way (both for ebay and the world in general).

Never understood the switch to not allowing buyers to leave negative feedback. I understand the idea of retaliatory negative feedback, but I think most people would prefer to see it since it's easy enough to see patterns in the feedback like what this buyer is trying to do.

PS: If this guy was active military I imagine a phone call to his local Marine Corps base would be interesting. Wishful thinking that it could be that easy, though.[/QUOTE]

If sellers were allowed to leave negative feedback, then buyers would be expected to actually pay for items they bid on, and not scam people. How can anyone be expected to live up to such high standards? /sarcasm

I wish this guy was in the military, but I have him pegged as a kid, who brags about how he's a professional scam artist in between yelling racial and homophobic slurs on Call of Duty.

Maybe this buyer just has really shitty luck. So many greedy sellers sending him used codes. Poor guy...

Dear ticketusmaximus,

Thanks for the warning, unfortunately it was a tad too late :( I sent him the code and he is now saying it didn't work when it did.

Good luck with getting your money back.

- vintersorrow19

You honestly should pack up some dog sh!t in a box with a piece of paper that says "Scammer" and ship it to him from a fake return address. Let him open that surprise of a package.

[quote name='Monoxide1986']You honestly should pack up some dog sh!t in a box with a piece of paper that says "Scammer" and ship it to him from a fake return address. Let him open that surprise of a package.[/QUOTE]
or maybe mustard gas?

[quote name='btw1217']If sellers were allowed to leave negative feedback, then buyers would be expected to actually pay for items they bid on, and not scam people. How can anyone be expected to live up to such high standards? /sarcasm

I wish this guy was in the military, but I have him pegged as a kid, who brags about how he's a professional scam artist in between yelling racial and homophobic slurs on Call of Duty.[/QUOTE]

I understand why eBay changed the feedback system; in almost all cases were a seller got a negative the buyer also got one and vice versa. Why? Retaliatory feedback.

Let's face it---there are a lot of bad sellers. Hell on CAG I ran into someone not too long ago that was adamant that it is not the seller's responsibility to refund if a buyer doesn't receive his item. He claimed it was UPS/USPS/FedEx's fault and he fulfilled his responsibility by getting the package to the carrier.

What I would like to see is eBay allow sellers to leave detailed notes on transactions with a buyer for other sellers to read.

I also would like for them to disclose how many disputes a buyer has opened with a seller and then make an option to block a bidder/buyer who has opened "X" amount of cases in "Y" time frame (i.e. 3 cases in the past 6 months).

[quote name='Monoxide1986']You honestly should pack up some dog sh!t in a box with a piece of paper that says "Scammer" and ship it to him from a fake return address. Let him open that surprise of a package.[/QUOTE]
i would totally do this.. i just need to get his address.. im serious :)

[quote name='GBAstar']I also would like for them to disclose how many disputes a buyer has opened with a seller and then make an option to block a bidder/buyer who has opened "X" amount of cases in "Y" time frame (i.e. 3 cases in the past 6 months).[/QUOTE]

I think you can do that.

Edit: just policy violations.

Boom check it. Now we wait and see. Your move PayPal.

Delivered
Jan-09-13, 16:09 PM, CHERRY HILL, NJ 08003

Out for Delivery
Jan-09-13, 08:32 AM, CHERRY HILL, NJ 08034

Sorting Complete
Jan-09-13, 08:22 AM, CHERRY HILL, NJ 08034

Arrival at Post Office
Jan-09-13, 04:53 AM, CHERRY HILL, NJ 08034

Processed through USPS Sort Facility
Jan-09-13, 03:10 AM, BELLMAWR, NJ 08031

Depart USPS Sort Facility
Jan-09-13, 00:00 AM, BELLMAWR, NJ 08031

Processed at USPS Origin Sort Facility
Jan-08-13, 01:23 AM, BIRMINGHAM, AL 35222

Accepted at USPS Origin Sort Facility
Jan-08-13, 00:08 AM, ANNISTON, AL 36207

Depart USPS Sort Facility
Jan-08-13, 00:00 AM, BIRMINGHAM, AL 35222

Oh god, you don't even know how badly I want to do that. With my luck though he'd be using a fake address, and some poor old lady would get it.

[quote name='whoknows']Did you include a nice note in the package you sent?[/QUOTE]

Really thought about it, but didn't. Mailed it before I realized the full extent of what was going on. There may still be some ball stink on the card though.

[quote name='btw1217']Really thought about it, but didn't. Mailed it before I realized the full extent of what was going on. There may still be some ball stink on the card though.[/QUOTE]
hahahahaha!

[quote name='btw1217']Really thought about it, but didn't. Mailed it before I realized the full extent of what was going on. There may still be some ball stink on the card though.[/QUOTE]

Hahaha the things I wouldve done to that card........I wouldve paid some silly hooker good money to rub some opened up herpes on that thing and then mailed it.

I hate scum.

Amazing, my parents have sold on ebay for years and because of things they experienced I won't ship internationally. Apparently ebay has a lot of problems with international bidders claiming they never received items and because the tracking only works till it leaves the US they take their side automatically. I've sent people dlc codes in emails before and it's stories like yours that make me afraid to do it.

I'm rooting for you man, if "FeeBay" doesn't take your side then it is obvious they don't give a crap about their sellers.

bread's done
Back