SimCity (2013) Official Thread

Interesting. Free game almost makes me want to buy it, if I could get it for less than $60.

Any deals out there this weekend? Maybe GMG and their usual 25% off anything?

Well amazon, best buy, and walmart WAS giving a 20 dollar credit but a little late now. If you care to join me my name on origin is LlamaNinja.

[quote name='LlamaNinja']Well amazon, best buy, and walmart WAS giving a 20 dollar credit but a little late now. If you care to join me my name on origin is LlamaNinja.[/QUOTE]

Ya I paid $60 in Amazon credit, got $20 in Amazon credit back, and now a free game not a bad deal. The game has been working much better for me, connection problems are almost completely gone.

[quote name='Blade3D']http://www.ea.com/news/a-simcity-update-and-something-for-your-trouble

And to get us back in your good graces, we’re going to offer you a free PC download game from the EA portfolio. On March 18, SimCity players who have activated their game will receive an email telling them how to redeem their free game.

If it's for any game that wouldn't be bad, I bet it's the cheap games most people got for free a few months ago.[/QUOTE]

I'd trade that free game for a working non-DRM version of Sim City.

[quote name='Blade3D']http://www.ea.com/news/a-simcity-update-and-something-for-your-trouble

And to get us back in your good graces, we’re going to offer you a free PC download game from the EA portfolio. On March 18, SimCity players who have activated their game will receive an email telling them how to redeem their free game.

If it's for any game that wouldn't be bad, I bet it's the cheap games most people got for free a few months ago.[/QUOTE]

EA just announced what the free game will be:

Madden2004box.jpg

Thought about getting this, but then the Tropico 4 Collector's Bundle went on sale on Steam for $10. I'll go with that instead.

[quote name='iKilledChewbacca']So are the servers pretty much fixed now ?[/QUOTE]

No. They are not 100% yet. 60% to 70%. Though some places like California and ppl from the East are claiming they are worst on Twitter.

That box art is hot though.

im hearing it's going ot be dumb 4.99 games cheap arcade stuff

[quote name='Sycowulf']From the patch notes that just went through...

- We've opened 1 new server: Antarctica

wtf? lol[/QUOTE]

nothing like it being deadly cold outside and play sim city 24/7 just saying lol

I'm interested if we setup a CAG region. My origin ID is carousel_9. I play pretty late at night though. Usually west coast 2 or oceania. Btw is that server pacific ocean or somewhere else?

[quote name='boneless']I'm interested if we setup a CAG region. My origin ID is carousel_9. I play pretty late at night though. Usually west coast 2 or oceania. Btw is that server pacific ocean or somewhere else?[/QUOTE]

it's asia and austrilia server but really that don't matter all the servers are in same location they just name them dif you cna join any server

I get the feeling that this is already being swept under the rug.

The stories I'm seeing today are more about EA's response (free game and more servers). These new narratives have less and less to do with the fact that it is a fundamentally flawed single-player game, whose flaws have everything to do with corporate bullying (not protections) that actively ignores the user experience. It's not just the always-on thing, either, from what I'm reading the whole region-dynamics thing is unreliable. The title was rushed, I've seen discussions of bugs that are really surprising.

Anyhow, in the big picture for the industry, the SC2013 experience seems like it'll go down as a baby step past the D3 experience. I guess it'll take another 20-30 bullshit always-on DRM launches before the real point finally takes hold?

EDIT: So RPG is keeping the main lesson from this incident alive, but they're a specialized outlet. This has come and gone for general news folks.

[quote name='dothog']I get the feeling that this is already being swept under the rug.

The stories I'm seeing today are more about EA's response (free game and more servers). These new narratives have less and less to do with the fact that it is a fundamentally flawed single-player game, whose flaws have everything to do with corporate bullying (not protections) that actively ignores the user experience. It's not just the always-on thing, either, from what I'm reading the whole region-dynamics thing is unreliable. The title was rushed, I've seen discussions of bugs that are really surprising.

Anyhow, in the big picture for the industry, the SC2013 experience seems like it'll go down as a baby step past the D3 experience. I guess it'll take another 20-30 bullshit always-on DRM launches before the real point finally takes hold?

EDIT: So RPG is keeping the main lesson from this incident alive, but they're a specialized outlet. This has come and gone for general news folks.[/QUOTE]

the game IS NOT fundamentally flawed yes it had issues first couple days but since friday they have fixed alot of bugs with patches unless you have played the game plz don't bash it. Before you ask no im not a EA fan boy only games i buy from them are sims and sim city. The game is soo much fun playing in a region with people then i think it would be playing by yourself which i have tried in my own private region and was boring. The game is a must buy for any sim city fan and sims fan server issues are still there but they are veyr very minor.

[quote name='TimboSliceGB']the game IS NOT fundamentally flawed yes it had issues first couple days but since friday they have fixed alot of bugs with patches unless you have played the game plz don't bash it. Before you ask no im not a EA fan boy only games i buy from them are sims and sim city. The game is soo much fun playing in a region with people then i think it would be playing by yourself which i have tried in my own private region and was boring. The game is a must buy for any sim city fan and sims fan server issues are still there but they are veyr very minor.[/QUOTE]

I agree with what you said. I am not a EA fan boy. I only buy The Sims from them. Origin isn't bad but it's not Steam. The thing I like about them is, I don't have to use Orgin to play The Sims. I really want Sim City (warts and all) but I don't have 60 bucks. I will save up but I can wait awhile for a price drop and for them to get their act together. Any problems you have take it with them. email, phone, twitter, whatever you use but take it to them.

[quote name='TimboSliceGB']the game IS NOT fundamentally flawed yes it had issues first couple days but since friday they have fixed alot of bugs with patches unless you have played the game plz don't bash it..[/QUOTE]
You're completely missing the point. No matter how many servers they bring online, no matter the amount of patching/DLC to cover the bugs and the flaws in the region system and limits on city size, it still requires always-on DRM for an experience that is inherently single player.

So yes, it is fundamentally flawed. I realize the online requirement isn't going anywhere, and it's going to remain "broke" for that reason.

Cloud saves, needless connectivity, all of that. It all puts your cities and gameplay -- which should rightfully be saved locally and accessible locally -- at the mercy of this paranoid belief that taking any and all rights away from consumers is a legitimate tactic in combating piracy.

And I've been following the game closely, and during the beta, tons of people were making the "It isn't *that* bad, it's a fun game!" argument that you're making now. Many had somehow accepted the fundamental flaw in the game because the just wanted to play SimCity. Then the launch servers blew up.

I can't imagine what kind of bullshit will go down from here on out, but it's not over. It may not matter, though, they've bumped the number of servers and given out a free game. General reporting on the real issue here has disappeared.

All server issues aside, i've been having trouble getting workers to commute from one city to another. I have one city with a couple residential and a ton of industrial zones, and another with the opposite. I want to establish a residential city and an industial one but i only seem to have about 3k people in each city and it doesnt want to grow. It also only shows about 100 people commuting, and the residential city is complaing about no jobs and the industrial about no workers.

Anyone have any ideas how to fix it? I've read it could be server issues so once i get back on tonight maybe itll be fixed?

That I'm not sure of. I also have had issues trying to find out how to share money from one city to another. Another issue is that my cities are getting too big and I run out of room for things. My last city I was running out of room for everything and I had 900,000 thousand dollars. So I tore every thing down. Next thing I know I had no money. I had no room and lots of money then no room at all. It seems like all the towns do is bitch about something and the game wants you to keep adding things. I'm now on I think my 5th restart. It would be nice if they showed a better grid than what they do or if I could build up the land up and do some of the things I could in 2000. I'm glad I don't have to run the pipes or power lines but I hate how I can't delete everything.

I'd say the game is fundamentally flawed from a single player perspective. Even if it didn't have the stupid DRM, the game is designed in such away that your city can't be self sufficient.

[quote name='dothog']You're completely missing the point. No matter how many servers they bring online, no matter the amount of patching/DLC to cover the bugs and the flaws in the region system and limits on city size, it still requires always-on DRM for an experience that is inherently single player.

So yes, it is fundamentally flawed. I realize the online requirement isn't going anywhere, and it's going to remain "broke" for that reason.

Cloud saves, needless connectivity, all of that. It all puts your cities and gameplay -- which should rightfully be saved locally and accessible locally -- at the mercy of this paranoid belief that taking any and all rights away from consumers is a legitimate tactic in combating piracy.

And I've been following the game closely, and during the beta, tons of people were making the "It isn't *that* bad, it's a fun game!" argument that you're making now. Many had somehow accepted the fundamental flaw in the game because the just wanted to play SimCity. Then the launch servers blew up.

I can't imagine what kind of bullshit will go down from here on out, but it's not over. It may not matter, though, they've bumped the number of servers and given out a free game. General reporting on the real issue here has disappeared.[/QUOTE]

the city size is a issue yes when your playing in a world with other people and only have one city. If you want to make a private region it's not that big of a deal seeing you can have more then one city and make that city say a oil city and what not. If you play the game you will understand why the cities are the size they are. When it comes to online only i agree it should be a option and not a must but in my mind i have played by my self on my own world after making like 3 cities i got boared but playing with other people you find out it trully is the way the game was made to oplay not single player. It's great playing with tons of people that makes cites like oil cities coal cities that way you just want to be a shoping city it's possible.

[quote name='scrub0bk']All server issues aside, i've been having trouble getting workers to commute from one city to another. I have one city with a couple residential and a ton of industrial zones, and another with the opposite. I want to establish a residential city and an industial one but i only seem to have about 3k people in each city and it doesnt want to grow. It also only shows about 100 people commuting, and the residential city is complaing about no jobs and the industrial about no workers.

Anyone have any ideas how to fix it? I've read it could be server issues so once i get back on tonight maybe itll be fixed?[/QUOTE]

that's one thing they should have did dif you can't control when your workes work or shop in other cities.

[quote name='itachiitachi']I'd say the game is fundamentally flawed from a single player perspective. Even if it didn't have the stupid DRM, the game is designed in such away that your city can't be self sufficient.[/QUOTE]

you don't understand why the game was made the way it was. it was made to have smaller cities be made and work together to make a successful city and in that mind set it does what it's met to do. I'm sorry but when the servers were having problems i went back to play sim city 4 and realized how plain and boring that game really was after playing sim city 5

[quote name='TimboSliceGB']
you don't understand why the game was made the way it was. it was made to have smaller cities be made and work together to make a successful city and in that mind set it does what it's met to do. I'm sorry but when the servers were having problems i went back to play sim city 4 and realized how plain and boring that game really was after playing sim city 5[/QUOTE]
I undestand why the game was made that way, the way it was made just prevents there from being a real single player mode.

Yeah, it's getting worse and worse. The EA forums and simcity subreddit aren't very happy. It's to the point that the always-on DRM is the least of the complaints. Yikes.

get used to it people most pc games will soon be drm thanks to piracy. Another thing reading that joystick review the guy talks like people that bash games like madden football every year that the game did not change much. Dude it's s sim city game what else needs to change. sim games never change and ea comes out with 40 doller packs for sims 3 every 4 months lol. This is Ea your talking about what do you suspect.

[quote name='retrad']"about what do you suspect."

I suspect you aren't an English major.[/QUOTE]

An English user at this point is questionable.

[quote name='TimboSliceGB']get used to it people most pc games will soon be drm thanks to piracy. Another thing reading that joystick review the guy talks like people that bash games like madden football every year that the game did not change much. Dude it's s sim city game what else needs to change. sim games never change and ea comes out with 40 doller packs for sims 3 every 4 months lol. This is Ea your talking about what do you suspect.[/QUOTE]

I really don't think it is due to piracy. Some or most of the games that have DRM you can still download. I think the DRM in games forces some to pirate them. I see DRM for the PC and this with the games on consoles now having to connect to servers along with some of the things that I have read about being the downfall of gaming if they are done. DRM is a bad thing and causes more issues for the customer than it does for the pirate. The things that have been talked about doing on consoles will I think be the last straw and cause the fall of the gaming industry again.

I'm starting to think I'm done with SimCity and I'm now holding out till Monday to see what the game they are giving away is. I'm glad that I bought and loaded the game up on the 5th instead of the 6th or 7th like I had originally thought.

it been a long time since i play simcity, thinking about getting this one. does it require a very good video card to play this game??? i have a dell XPS 15 from 2yrs ago.

After everything that has come out, people are really still considering throwing money at EA to buy this piece of shit?

[quote name='SEH']After everything that has come out, people are really still considering throwing money at EA to buy this piece of shit?[/QUOTE]

Thats the thing though, I know I will get hated for this....but....I have no intentions of playing on a laptop ...EVER. I dont have the money to even afford a decent laptop. The always online components of this game do not bother me. Yeah, the game does have its problems, but they are bearable ! They can be easily fixed with updates. :bouncy:

[quote name='iKilledChewbacca']Thats the thing though, I know I will get hated for this....but....I have no intentions of playing on a laptop ...EVER. I dont have the money to even afford a decent laptop. The always online components of this game do not bother me. Yeah, the game does have its problems, but they are bearable ! They can be easily fixed with updates. :bouncy:[/QUOTE]

Its not even the always on DRM. Always on really doesn't bother me all that much either, but their servers are still garbage. Even if you always have a good connection, that doesn't make up for their shit servers. Not to mention the ridiculous dumbing down of the game, terrible AI, etc... I just don't understand how someone could willingly give EA money after all the bad publicity this game has earned them.

[quote name='SEH']Its not even the always on DRM. Always on really doesn't bother me all that much either, but their servers are still garbage. Even if you always have a good connection, that doesn't make up for their shit servers. Not to mention the ridiculous dumbing down of the game, terrible AI, etc... I just don't understand how someone could willingly give EA money after all the bad publicity this game has earned them.[/QUOTE]

Some ppl just buy things for bragging rights. It does not matter if the game or gadget works anymore but they got that swag though.

Last edited:
[quote name='leung19']it been a long time since i play simcity, thinking about getting this one. does it require a very good video card to play this game??? i have a dell XPS 15 from 2yrs ago.[/QUOTE]

Stick with SimCity 4.

[quote name='SEH']Its not even the always on DRM. Always on really doesn't bother me all that much either, but their servers are still garbage. Even if you always have a good connection, that doesn't make up for their shit servers. Not to mention the ridiculous dumbing down of the game, terrible AI, etc... I just don't understand how someone could willingly give EA money after all the bad publicity this game has earned them.[/QUOTE]

For those who are skeptical about SEH's comment, a recent Ars Technica article summarizes the issues fairly well.

One thing that's being overlooked is that "almost completely fixed" servers (from the AT article) might be overstating it a bit. They increased the number of servers, but they also gimped parts of the game to ease up on the server load. EA/Maxis made quite a mess with this one.

bread's done
Back