SimCity (2013) Official Thread

[quote name='strikeratt']First comment said it all, welcome to 2013. People will hate the online DRM yes, but in 5 years I'd bet most copies are no longer even in physical form. And always online single player? Servers went down mid-game for me yesterday, I kept playing with no issues. People giving 0.0's for never even playing because they don't like the option.

As for the cities, they already said they will be expanding the space. Sorry you didn't receive everything at launch :roll:

Microtransactions / dlc is pretty much a mute point too, it's here to stay and has been going on much longer than March 5, 2013..[/QUOTE]

well you sure showed me... if my IQ was half what it actually is anyway.

What kind of logic is it that games are going that route now so lets all just accept it and be fine with it and just give them our money.

To that I say OH HELL NOES. First Diablo 3 is the last game I will ever buy that requires its single player game to be online for (lesson learned). Never again, I spend a Fton of money on games every year and if a publisher or developer wants go that route, they wont be getting anything from me. I have 3 lifetimes worth of games in my backlog in addition to any new cool games coming out. There are tons of games that dont make me feel like im being ****ed over in the process of buying them and playing them.

I dont care if the copies are in digital form... I have about 150 steam games and at least 25-40 Psn games brah. I prefer it that way actually, I cant think of any of them that require online that aren't multiplayer games. In other words I can play all the single player games in offline mode if I wanted to.

Lastly microtransactions and dlc? sure if they are done right. I buy dlc all the time if its done right (protip EA is probably the worst at dlc out there)

Take skyrim for example. I paid full price for Dawnguard and Dragonborn and skipped Hearthfire entirely because its not relevant to my interests.

If you look at EA's dlc for sports games its things that pretty much equate to cheat codes or other shit that basically should have been included in the game in the first place. If you are telling me that I have to pay more money to build a bigger city in Sim City in a future dlc like thats reasonable, rational or even conscionable then I will just LOL and play something else and not give it another thought, which is precisely what im going to do.

TLDR version

Im not going to grab my ankles and say here EA take whatever you want.

Thats the bottom line...

if you dont think you are being outrageously taken advantage of thats your opinion.

[quote name='retrad']TLDR version

Im not going to grab my ankles and say here EA take whatever you want.

Thats the bottom line...

if you dont think you are being outrageously taken advantage of thats your opinion.[/QUOTE]

And if you think you are being outrageously taken advantage of that's your opinion as well.

Facts are facts though, as the internet age grows so does this whole online always thing. Cloud type services are becoming more and more common now. When Steam first came out what did you say, "OH HELL NOES" right, fuck digital copies I want physical. I know I did. Now I have over 200 games in Steam games alone, never mind the other platforms I use.

Are more companies going this online only route, yes. The point still stands though, in 5 years I would put money on the majority of companies going this way.

No one said that to expand the city would cost money, I believe that they said they are looking to patch that

Anyways ... I'm loving sandbox mode for practice. I'm trying to figure out how to keep congestion in the streets down. I'm was watching a city earlier with about 200,000 pop and next to no traffic. He had an ass load of public transport I'm wondering if I just have to add more.

And yes, that is when I can actually play :D

I have barely gotten to play this game since yesterday. Also, I can't seem to connect, stuck at authenticating with SimCity servers.

[quote name='sendme']Having to be connected to servers to play games not is making me consider getting out of gaming. Name on Origin is Shazo85 if anyone wants to join.[/QUOTE]

Plenty of devs and publisher not going that route to choose from.

I like what I have played so far. I probably have gotten to play maybe a hour with 4 crashes on 4 different cities.

[quote name='Blade3D']I like what I have played so far. I probably have gotten to play maybe a hour with 4 crashes on 4 different cities.[/QUOTE]

Wow. That makes NO SENSE to me.

[quote name='Megazell']Wow. That makes NO SENSE to me.[/QUOTE]
He is saying he likes the gameplay but hates the server crashes. Honestly I probably wont buy another online only game because of this crap for a long time as this is a lesson. Bonus is I got 20 on amazon for getting it now.

WOW I'm in the mid west and it put me on the European servers. I guess I will starting yet another city.

[quote name='SEH']So glad I didn't purchase this POS. Reminds me of the Diablo 3 launch but with added crashes.[/QUOTE]
At least this is unlike Diablo 3 where when the issues are fixed I will be playing it.

I don't know why everyone keeps comparing this to Diablo 3. I never had these issues with Diablo 3. I was always able to log on and play unless the servers were down for some reason. This I have a game that I can't play at all now. I'm also now wondering what will happen once EA decides that they no longer want to have the servers up and running for the game.

[quote name='sendme']I don't know why everyone keeps comparing this to Diablo 3. I never had these issues with Diablo 3. I was always able to log on and play unless the servers were down for some reason. This I have a game that I can't play at all now. I'm also now wondering what will happen once EA decides that they no longer want to have the servers up and running for the game.[/QUOTE]

The first 2-3 days of Diablo 3 were Error 37 hell.

[quote name='LlamaNinja']He is saying he likes the gameplay but hates the server crashes. Honestly I probably wont buy another online only game because of this crap for a long time as this is a lesson. Bonus is I got 20 on amazon for getting it now.[/QUOTE]

Gameplay interrupted?

I don't get how ppl can praise a big budget production that fails to do what it was said it was going to do...which in this game is simply function.

This is very strong reason why I just can't trust traditional retail and put money in their direction. It's also a clear indicator (old man rant alert) that I have very little in common with the generation that is OK with purchasing broken things.

I'm glad that this experience has included both D3 and SimCity -- that cuts through a large swath of the gaming populace. It's unfortunate that dedicated fans of those titles (the kinds that get excited about a launch) have to serve as guinea pigs for the rest of us. However, without this we're really not going to get change.

I feel bad for you big SimCity fans, because I kind of want this drama to continue long enough to give EA (and the rest of the industry by association) a genuine black eye. Meaning one that captures the interest of business or general news reporting, rather than just the specialized video game blogs. Without people questioning this beyond games (and considering this in terms of DVD/Blu Ray sales, for instance), change seems unlikely.

I think the industry isn't going to budge on some issues -- e.g. putting measures in place on consoles to stifle used games -- but they might be convinced on always-on DRM if people beyond gaming raise the point. Even in a world where everyone has fiber connectivity, it's a faulty system, it doesn't really serve anyone that well.

So again, my condolences to SimCity enthusiasts. You guys got the shaft. The last time I got excited enough about a title to get in on the launch in a big way (with pre-orders and whatnot) was the remake of Sid Meier's Pirates. It was a big favorite as a kid, and I was excited about recreating that experience. Had my launch experience been dictated by arbitrary server availability, I would have been PISSED.

Again: sorry guys.

I don't understand the hardcore complaints, it's been 2 days not 2 weeks. I couldn't play for a small portion of the day yesterday, that was it. I have about 10 hours of gameplay and the game just came out tuesday. I hate to keep coming here and sounding like a fanboy, so I have to point out I'm no where near. Hell I hated the first versions as a kid and only have 2 - 4 hours into 4. Yet the people who don't even own the game are just mad because some kids couldn't play for 4 hours out of the day. Yes that 4 hours is just a number pulled out of my ass.

As for Diablo 3, that wasn't even awful. Hell my group of friends were able to enter Inferno by the friday it came out.

Is it our right as a consumer to have what we buy working right off the bat? Honestly probably, but the only way that we can advance with technology is to be the guinea pigs. The only way we can advance with ANYTHING is to be the guinea pigs. Mother nature does this everyday, humans do this everyday. This whole online only thing is farily new for games like this, it use to be just MMO's for the most part.

[quote name='strikeratt']I don't understand the hardcore complaints, it's been 2 days not 2 weeks. I couldn't play for a small portion of the day yesterday, that was it. I have about 10 hours of gameplay and the game just came out tuesday. I hate to keep coming here and sounding like a fanboy, so I have to point out I'm no where near. Hell I hated the first versions as a kid and only have 2 - 4 hours into 4. Yet the people who don't even own the game are just mad because some kids couldn't play for 4 hours out of the day. Yes that 4 hours is just a number pulled out of my ass.

As for Diablo 3, that wasn't even awful. Hell my group of friends were able to enter Inferno by the friday it came out.

Is it our right as a consumer to have what we buy working right off the bat? Honestly probably, but the only way that we can advance with technology is to be the guinea pigs. The only way we can advance with ANYTHING is to be the guinea pigs. Mother nature does this everyday, humans do this everyday. This whole online only thing is farily new for games like this, it use to be just MMO's for the most part.[/QUOTE]

If the industry wants to tell us that big launches matter, that they need those high-dollar pre-orders to succeed, then they need to deliver at launch. It's an unspoken agreement (and a little laughable that it has to be said) that a game will be playable at launch.

I guess I'd argue that the whole thing should be rated by the worst customer experience. Consider a guy who works a 9-5 and comes home only to spend 3 hours staring at server problems instead of playing his single-player game. That guy got boned, he bought into the industry's story and supported them Day 1 to be a part of that launch experience, and what'd he get? A very convincing argument that he should never, ever pre-order a title again, that's what he got.

The industry wants it both ways, they want the luxury of securing customers through pre-orders, but they don't want to do any pre-launch QA. All accounts of the SimCity beta that I've read suggested that it was a joke, they limited play time, they did everything they could to avoid stressing servers. That's stupid.

So maybe you're not worked up, but consider somebody who loves SimCity, doesn't have a lot of expendable time, and what they're thinking when they stare at the Error 37 equivalent. They're probably feeling used.

[quote name='dothog']I'm glad that this experience has included both D3 and SimCity -- that cuts through a large swath of the gaming populace. It's unfortunate that dedicated fans of those titles (the kinds that get excited about a launch) have to serve as guinea pigs for the rest of us. However, without this we're really not going to get change.

I feel bad for you big SimCity fans, because I kind of want this drama to continue long enough to give EA (and the rest of the industry by association) a genuine black eye. Meaning one that captures the interest of business or general news reporting, rather than just the specialized video game blogs. Without people questioning this beyond games (and considering this in terms of DVD/Blu Ray sales, for instance), change seems unlikely.

Again: sorry guys.[/QUOTE]
I own the game and I kinda want it to continue. I mean quite seriously I would like to play Sim City, but if this whole backlash needs to continue so this shit don't happen in the future. So be it.

[quote name='dothog']If the industry wants to tell us that big launches matter, that they need those high-dollar pre-orders to succeed, then they need to deliver at launch. It's an unspoken agreement (and a little laughable that it has to be said) that a game will be playable at launch.

I guess I'd argue that the whole thing should be rated by the worst customer experience. Consider a guy who works a 9-5 and comes home only to spend 3 hours staring at server problems instead of playing his single-player game. That guy got boned, he bought into the industry's story and supported them Day 1 to be a part of that launch experience, and what'd he get? A very convincing argument that he should never, ever pre-order a title again, that's what he got.

The industry wants it both ways, they want the luxury of securing customers through pre-orders, but they don't want to do any pre-launch QA. All accounts of the SimCity beta that I've read suggested that it was a joke, they limited play time, they did everything they could to avoid stressing servers. That's stupid.

So maybe you're not worked up, but consider somebody who loves SimCity, doesn't have a lot of expendable time, and what they're thinking when they stare at the Error 37 equivalent. They're probably feeling used.[/QUOTE]

I understand completely where you're coming from and I agree that a company should really do their best at launch. Yet publicity like this is something they do not want. They understand that people would be pissed due to this and will try their best to have the game run flawlessly right off the bat. If they didn't then they run absolute risks of not pulling in profits to the level that they have predicted.

Yet consumers have to understand that in the first couple of days they might have trouble getting on for whatever reasons when it comes to an online requirement like this. People shouldn't just rate it zero's though because they couldn't play it for some hours the first few days. It's not like they bought the game to just play the first 2 days of launch.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='dothog']
The industry wants it both ways, they want the luxury of securing customers through pre-orders, but they don't want to do any pre-launch QA. All accounts of the SimCity beta that I've read suggested that it was a joke, they limited play time, they did everything they could to avoid stressing servers. That's stupid.[/QUOTE]

Pre-launch QA to simulate Launch day is basically impossible to test for, you would have to employ a million people :p

However I do agree with you. I pre-ordered D3 at launch and boy was that night pretty damn annoying, just to play my already downloaded game. The industry needs to start doing roll-out launches, pre-orders get 5 days ahead of the launch day or something. This means they have a weekend before the game launches on the big midnight to fix something and those that pre-order get that chance to get ahead of the crowd.

EA did this with SWTOR and its launch was pretty smooth for a MMO, though the aftermath was a tough time. Of course retailers would not like this whole roll out launch and we come back to much other deeper problems beside the consumers.

[quote name='strikeratt']Is it our right as a consumer to have what we buy working right off the bat? Honestly probably, but the only way that we can advance with technology is to be the guinea pigs. The only way we can advance with ANYTHING is to be the guinea pigs.[/QUOTE]

Agreed. BUT. This should be CLEARLY advertised and the price should reflect that.

Top dollar price and marketing hype stating otherwise is a lot of the problem.

[quote name='SEH']The first 2-3 days of Diablo 3 were Error 37 hell.[/QUOTE]

Odd I don't ever remember having an issue playing the game.

Please don't support this game. I have no interest in this particular game regardless but I really don't want this kind of DRM in the next game I do care about.

I know some people are saying it's the future and such and to deal with it but honestly I disagree. I think it will kill the industry and we'll have another crash before this practice becomes acceptable. At least I hope that's the case if they don't learn in time.

[quote name='sendme']Odd I don't ever remember having an issue playing the game.[/QUOTE]

You're in the small, small, small minority.

[quote name='ShockandAww']Please don't support this game. I have no interest in this particular game regardless but I really don't want this kind of DRM in the next game I do care about.

I know some people are saying it's the future and such and to deal with it but honestly I disagree. I think it will kill the industry and we'll have another crash before this practice becomes acceptable. At least I hope that's the case if they don't learn in time.[/QUOTE]

Well with any luck publishers may at least look at what happened with Sim City and think twice about going with an always on-line DRM.

This game is getting hammered by user reviews on metacritic and amazon.
And Amazon stopped selling the digital version of the game and posted this little tid bit:
"Important Note on "SimCity"
Many customers are having issues connecting to the "SimCity" servers. EA is actively working to resolve these issues, but at this time we do not know when the issue will be fixed. Please visit https://help.ea.com/en/simcity/simcity for more information."

So I just heard they ban accounts for disputing a charge for the game, if they refuse to refund. Not really surprising but just fuel for the reason I never spend over $5 for digital releases and rarely buy anything that way. I like being able to look Valve, EA, or even Ubi with their online services in the face and say, "fuck you".

Never give them an inch.

Shhes...I'm glad i didn't buy this on release day. What a bummer. For the $59, it should have worked, but as with a DRM games..got to "take it with a grain of salt". Ill wait till the service and "Sh*t storm subsides" and the price goes down a bit to jump in.

[quote name='Jodou']So I just heard they ban accounts for disputing a charge for the game, if they refuse to refund. Not really surprising but just fuel for the reason I never spend over $5 for digital releases and rarely buy anything that way. I like being able to look Valve, EA, or even Ubi with their online services in the face and say, "fuck you".

Never give them an inch.[/QUOTE]

Totally not true, Kotaku just posted an article to about it. You won't get your money back if you bought it digitally but if you got the disc, you can within 14 days. I wish they would fix this game already. Also make it cheaper.

[quote name='Rapid4ire']Shhes...I'm glad i didn't buy this on release day. What a bummer. For the $59, it should have worked, but as with a DRM games..got to "take it with a grain of salt". Ill wait till the service and "Sh*t storm subsides" and the price goes down a bit to jump in.[/QUOTE]

Agreed. This is nuts. Been reading about this all day.

I ain't buyin it so I don't really have a horse in this race, but up and down servers are one thing. I guess it happens? Whatevs. Anyway, time to dial this motherfucker to 11.
We are continuing to do everything we can to address the server issues. In the meantime, so that we can give you as good an experience as possible, we are in the process of deploying a hotfix to all servers. This includes various improvements and also disables a few non-critical gameplay features (leaderboards, achievements and region filters). Disabling these features will in no way affect your core gameplay experience.
When you have to disable parts of your game after the fact, I mean... holy fuck.
First things first: In order to try and combat slow or totally full servers, EA has released bug fixes include a server patch that disables the fastest simulation speed setting, Cheetah, reports Ars Technica.
lolwtfbbq

That is all.

[quote name='speedracer']I ain't buyin it so I don't really have a horse in this race, but up and down servers are one thing. I guess it happens? Whatevs. Anyway, time to dial this motherfucker to 11.

When you have to disable parts of your game after the fact, I mean... holy fuck.

lolwtfbbq

That is all.[/QUOTE]

I also haven't bought it but this kind of stuff makes it easy to maintain my resolve not to buy it no matter how good the game looks.

I got about 45 minutes in tonight. I stopped playing for the time being until it settles down. I am in no rush to actually get into it but I at least wanted to try it.

It's not a bad game, but it's something I don't mind waiting for now that I got to try it.

just like diablo 3 this game im sure by monday will be working like it should have tues. People crying omg i paid 60 bucks dang it i want money back are just crazy. From what i played in betas the game is amazing fun and very addicting. Once the servers get figured out i will lose hours upon hours on this game.

[quote name='TimboSliceGB']just like diablo 3 this game im sure by monday will be working like it should have tues. People crying omg i paid 60 bucks dang it i want money back are just crazy. From what i played in betas the game is amazing fun and very addicting. Once the servers get figured out i will lose hours upon hours on this game.[/QUOTE]

Yes, people wanting their money back for a product they cannot use are soooo crazy.

:roll:

[quote name='SEH']Yes, people wanting their money back for a product they cannot use are soooo crazy.

:roll:[/QUOTE]

Retail Defenders are the reason why DRM gets more and more invasive with each passing quarter.

[quote name='scrub0bk']I played last night no problem. Granted i need to get used to the controls real bad[/QUOTE]

Every time I read these I can't help but think of those Prison documentaries on A&E where inmates say something like..."I've never been raped." and then they show stats where 8 out of 10 inmates are treated for anal tearing.

Get the jelly ready.

[quote name='dothog']So it's getting ugly now?[/QUOTE]

I'd say most definitely. Between people STILL not being able to play, them having to disable features, Amazon halting sales, and now affiliates being told to stop advertising the game, this is without a doubt a HUGE black eye for EA.

Honestly, I believe the only way for them to really save face would be to put out a press release stating that they're going to remove the stupid always on DRM so people can actually play. They wont do that though. They'll just continue to be stubborn and look like complete morons, which is fine by me. I've got my popcorn.

tCp90.gif

[quote name='SEH']I'd say most definitely. Between people STILL not being able to play, them having to disable features, Amazon halting sales, and now affiliates being told to stop advertising the game, this is without a doubt a HUGE black eye for EA.

Honestly, I believe the only way for them to really save face would be to put out a press release stating that they're going to remove the stupid always on DRM so people can actually play. They wont do that though. They'll just continue to be stubborn and look like complete morons, which is fine by me. I've got my popcorn.

tCp90.gif
[/QUOTE]

Sadly, I don't have popcorn. But I do have this

StarCraft_II_-_Box_Art.jpg

I got it and now, my weekend is set for 20 bucks.

bread's done
Back