Skylanders Spyro's Adventure Sam's Club Exclusive Starter + Drill Seargent $64.86 +tx

Yuckmouth

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
I'm guessing this will be available in stores tomorrow as well. Looks like the best deal for far as it's $5 cheaper than regular retail and includes a free Sam's Club exclusive character.

Drill Sergeant is a Sam's Club / Walmart only character.

Xbox 360
WII
PS3
3DS

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not sure if I'll pick up the game because I know I'd want to blow a ton of money I don't have on all the exclusive figures and what-not, but I was curious about something:

Are the figures console-specific?

For example, if you picked up a figure pack for your PS3 copy of the game and friend had the Wii version, would the figures work on both?

I'd rather blow 8 bucks on those miniature Lego sets. You're all suckers paying for an overpriced "figurine" that doesn't even have movable parts.

And no, I hardly care about shitting on your fun. This bullshit sets precedence that gives Activision a reason to gouge the fuck out of people.

I'm excited for this, I love Gauntlet style games. The other day, I made a list of the figures and I'll try and keep it up to date.

edit: I'll keep these here, but this list I found is probably better

Adventure Packs

-Pirate Seas
--Terrafin
--Pirate Ship
--Hidden Treasure
--Ghost Swords

3 Character Pack

--Drobot
--Flameslinger
--Stump Smash

--Prism Break
--Boomer
--Voodood

--Eruptor
--Chop Chop
--Bash

Individual (One dash = not in a 3 pack)

--Bash
--Boomer
--Chop Chop
--Drobot
--Eruptor
--Flameslinger
--Prism Break
-Sonic Boom
-Stealth Elf
--Stump Smash
--Voodood
-Zap

Exclusives

-Toys R Us
--Darklight Crypt
---Ghost Roaster
---Crypt
---Time Twister
---Healing Elixir

--Legendary Pack
---Legendary Bash
---Legendary Chop Chop
---Legendary Spyro

-Target
--Whirlwind

-Sams Club
--Drill Sergeant

-Best Buy
--Volcanic Vault

-3DS
--Dark Spyro

-360, Ps3, PC, Wii
--Gill Grunt
--Ignitor

Coming Soon

-Camo
-Cynder
-Dino-rang
-Double Trouble
-Hex
-Lightening Rod
-Slam Bam
-Sunburn
-Trigger Happy
-Warnado
-Wham Shell
-Zook
-Wrecking Ball

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Nohbdy']I'd rather blow 8 bucks on those miniature Lego sets. You're all suckers paying for an overpriced "figurine" that doesn't even have movable parts.

And no, I hardly care about shitting on your fun. This bullshit sets precedence that gives Activision a reason to gouge the fuck out of people.[/QUOTE]

I'd rather blow 8 bucks on these figurines. You're a sucker paying for an overpriced toy that doesn't even remember your game progress! And Lego instructions don't even use text! Talk about cheap.

SAMs club did not have the bundle, but as a note the three packs there are discounted to about $16.48. These are not the additional content packs, ie pirate ship, but the character three packs.

I've seen more than a few people say the reviews sound positive but I'm on metacritic right now and the main console platforms have only 1-2 reviews each, none of them from any major sites (just the usual sites that somehow are able to review games before anyone else, like gamingxp).

I would like to see some real reviews and even better cag impressions, but the video further up the thread looked good. When I was in tru, three people bought the game, the guy who works there said he has had trouble keeping to shelves stocked, but they seemed to have an absolute ton of figures.

[quote name='iamsmart']I've seen more than a few people say the reviews sound positive but I'm on metacritic right now and the main console platforms have only 1-2 reviews each, none of them from any major sites (just the usual sites that somehow are able to review games before anyone else, like gamingxp).[/QUOTE]

This!
It seems like they have some block on all reviews (probably until tomorrow).
I looked at the videos, and general gameplay. Sure, it's a cute looking game, but I don't see the Deal, and why this is on the front page of CAG (besides me bumping it). It's overpriced merchandise, and nobody is selling it at a discount on Release.

[quote name='Kanelly']I'd rather blow 8 bucks on these figurines. You're a sucker paying for an overpriced toy that doesn't even remember your game progress! And Lego instructions don't even use text! Talk about cheap.[/QUOTE]

Most figures in the toy aisle cost a lot more than 7.99 and they aren't electronic as in they don't hook up to anything to transfer data. A 3 pack of tiny plastic Pokemon figures is like 12.99 and one Pokemon plush is at least $8 now. Any type of stuffed animal with a one-time use code for a website usually costs around 12.99 and most kids tear the code off and toss the toy aside. Hopefully with this the toys will actually be used and not become waste that no one wants like Beanie babies and webkinz once the code is ripped off.

Come to think of this I think this would be more successful if it was a website instead of a game you have to pay $70 to start with and also have a system to play it on. The initial price tag will turn some people off, but I still think its going to be really popular among those who can afford it. Seems like it would be better if the portal would hook up to your computer and the figures could remember your data that way through a website, this way those who can't afford it or those who don't have a current game system could still get in on the action.

Moreover, I am wayyyy too old for this!

[quote name='waxHead']Anyone notice the slickdeals click-through in all of the links in the OP?

Code:
http://slickdeals.net/?sdtid=3431292&sdop=1&sdfid=9&u2=http://www.samsclub.com/sams/shop/product.jsp?productId=prod4170237&navAction=
[/QUOTE]

Thanks... I updated the links.

Actually, interestingly enough, I believe you can play on their website, to a degree, as well as your consoles using the figures you buy, which work on every version of the game (ie any figure will work across the board). In addition, it appears there are plans for an iOS version for iphone and ipad (it was being worked on, though I don't see much about it at launch)

And as far as these not having a discount on release, TRU has a B2G1 free on ALL of these right now ... so if you're going to get in and don't think these will tank over the holidays (which the more and more I read, I don't ... Activision put a ton of $$ into these and actually pushed back their launch by an entire year to tweak and polish ... the story was written by 2 of the guys who worked on Toy Story and the score is by Hans Zimmer ... so big money has been spent), now is a good week to pick some of these up at a discount.

[quote name='dragonjud']This!
It seems like they have some block on all reviews (probably until tomorrow).
I looked at the videos, and general gameplay. Sure, it's a cute looking game, but I don't see the Deal, and why this is on the front page of CAG (besides me bumping it). It's overpriced merchandise, and nobody is selling it at a discount on Release.[/QUOTE]

I guess people really want it, but personally I just don't get it. It's an idea that from what I can tell has been around for a long while now, it stars a mediocre game property that I haven't exactly heard people raving about since the late 90s, it's from the house of Bobby Kotick (aka "The Dairy Farmer") and it's full price!

Edit: no I guess it's not full price, but it's still $65 for a game that revolves around having to buy additional figures on top of that hefty initial investment. The whole setup seems very counter-CAG.

Activision put a ton of $$ into these and actually pushed back their launch by an entire year to tweak and polish
It seems most every delay is to "tweak and polish" the game, I think the more accurate idea is that they're moving it to a more ideal launch window.

[quote name='dragonjud']This!
nobody is selling it at a discount on Release.[/QUOTE]

Seriously did you guys not read the title? Sam's Club is selling it for $5 cheaper than retail.

I just came back from a giant run, picked up all the 3 packs from TRU and took advantage of the b2g1free, picked up the game at BBY and picked up the exclusive character at Target. I went to Sams Club but they didn't have anything displayed or in there system when I just called.

[quote name='etcrane']Actually, interestingly enough, I believe you can play on their website, to a degree, as well as your consoles using the figures you buy, which work on every version of the game (ie any figure will work across the board). In addition, it appears there are plans for an iOS version for iphone and ipad (it was being worked on, though I don't see much about it at launch)

And as far as these not having a discount on release, TRU has a B2G1 free on ALL of these right now ... so if you're going to get in and don't think these will tank over the holidays (which the more and more I read, I don't ... Activision put a ton of $$ into these and actually pushed back their launch by an entire year to tweak and polish ... the story was written by 2 of the guys who worked on Toy Story and the score is by Hans Zimmer ... so big money has been spent), now is a good week to pick some of these up at a discount.[/QUOTE]

Irrelevant but what's crazy is that all the popular portable games are coming to iOS now, which is good for me because I have the iPod touch 4th gen. Scribblenauts is now on iOS, and I was going to buy it for the DS, but it looks like I can spend $5 on it now instead of $20 on the DS version. And from what I hear the iOS version is very good. If this comes to iOS I think we can expect the trend of portable console games coming to iOS to continue at full speed ahead.

If this comes to iOS I think it could become insanely popular, because from what I see here iOS is all the rage with kids. I think people would not be hesitant to pay $10 or so for the app and then add the figures, though I have no idea how this would work for iOS. I literately see no Nintendo systems out in public at all anymore, and instead iPods are in the hands of the kids. Methinks Nintendo is in a lot of trouble.

Yeah, iOS could really help this game out ... and interestingly, each figure comes with a separate webcode that also appears to have a barcode. I would assume that even without a portal device for iOS, the camera could be used to scan in characters via these barcodes if they wanted to allow full implementation like the other platforms.

I think this game is cool, I don't really know what to expect out of it but I can see this game going on if it is successful.

I bought the Wii Version from Bestbuy, it plays very much like Gaunlet. The first levels are pretty easy, but it starts to pick up later on. If you tried to switch out later in the game to level 1's it's quite hard. There's a bunch of upgrades for each character and there are Heroic challenges (36) for each character to accomplish to get stat boosts. There's 11 levels for each character and 20 stages to play through. (There's also the 2 add on packs which bumps it to 22 if you decide to buy them.) This game has a very good amount of replay value as you can reset your characters and try a different skill set path with them. Not to mention if you buy the 3DS version you can run your own personal Skylanders through 2 different games. If any of your friends have purchased this and have it on different consoles you can bring your own Skylanders and have them level up and gain skills on their game and take them right back to your game. It's a really good idea and i feel like there is great potential here.

Toys R Us has the retail exclusive 3-pack of "Legendaries".

I don't suppose there's anyone who's picked this up at Best Buy and wants to sell their Volcanic Vault... :D

Saw sonic boom and got so excited thinking about sonic cd :( I was wrong ( cut and paste may not have worked on my phone, sorry)

These add-on packs are $20!?!?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0056G28LW/ref=aw_d_iv_videogames?is=l&qid=1318820858&sr=8-10

I feel like the volcanic vault is going to be crazy hard to find if you don't buy at BB this week, just because it isn't mentioned anywhere else as far as I can tell.

[quote name='etcrane']I feel like the volcanic vault is going to be crazy hard to find if you don't buy at BB this week, just because it isn't mentioned anywhere else as far as I can tell.[/QUOTE]

It might might not be, it can come out in another 3-pack in the future. lol... I don't know if anybody else has tried, but you can use the characters without taking them out of the packaging. Just place them right on top of the portal!

What so different about the Legendary 3 are there stats different or are they just skins?

[quote name='Drclaw411']is this the only retail exclusive character?[/QUOTE]

If you read the very first post you will see that Drill Sergeant is Sam's Club exclusive.

The best buy arena... I don't think you actually need the piece after you put it on the portal and "unlock" it. It let us take it off and play without it after it said "arena unlocked". So really, you can probably just borrow it from someone who has it.

The Tomb Adventure pack is currently a TRU exclusive too.

Also- can't find anything online about the adventure pack accessories. Are they 1 time use? I put the treasure chest on my sensor and it said something to the effect of "item exhausted" or something, and i put the ghost swords on the sensor and a timer started running down. I took them off and put them back on and the timer was right where it was before.

[quote name='Yuckmouth']The best buy arena... I don't think you actually need the piece after you put it on the portal and "unlock" it. It let us take it off and play without it after it said "arena unlocked". So really, you can probably just borrow it from someone who has it.[/QUOTE]

Well, that makes me feel a little better - I don't know anyone who's stupid enough to get this with me, but this increases the chances of someone selling theirs. I'd pay $10+$5 shipping for one. :D

[quote name='skiizim']It might might not be, it can come out in another 3-pack in the future. lol... I don't know if anybody else has tried, but you can use the characters without taking them out of the packaging. Just place them right on top of the portal!

What so different about the Legendary 3 are there stats different or are they just skins?[/QUOTE]

Yes you can use them inside of their packages! I believe there is a tiny stat difference in legendaries.

lol @ the people stupid enough to think that the Drill Sergeant figure is exclusive to Sam's Club.

I saw it at the bottom of my Walmart's video game case and it even had the "Walmart Exclusive" logo on it. So it must be a Walmart Stores, Inc. exclusive.

The game is going to flop anyway. Not a single person bought it yesterday after they asked us to price check them. The $70 pricetag is going to turn off a lot of people. If you CAGgers were smart, you'd wait for it to go down to 20 bucks.

And ever think that maybe the good reviews are due to Activision investing a lot on this game's success?

[quote name='Nintendonly']And ever think that maybe the good reviews are due to Activision investing a lot on this game's success?[/QUOTE]

Are you implying that Activision has "invested" in good reviews? That's a big generalization to make against the credibility of a lot of different sites. Seems unlikely to me.

[quote name='jeebert']Are you implying that Activision has "invested" in good reviews? That's a big generalization to make against the credibility of a lot of different sites. Seems unlikely to me.[/QUOTE]

$70 game + $20 "necessary" packs + good reviews = irks people to buy

$70 game + $20 "necessary" packs + bad reviews = people are hesitant to buy

I believe Activision wants the former.

Also, gotta love what they did to Spyro-

550x-expensive-luxury-cat.jpg

[quote name='Nintendonly']lol @ the people stupid enough to think that the Drill Sergeant figure is exclusive to Sam's Club.

I saw it at the bottom of my Walmart's video game case and it even had the "Walmart Exclusive" logo on it. So it must be a Walmart Stores, Inc. exclusive.

The game is going to flop anyway. Not a single person bought it yesterday after they asked us to price check them. The $70 pricetag is going to turn off a lot of people. If you CAGgers were smart, you'd wait for it to go down to 20 bucks.

And ever think that maybe the good reviews are due to Activision investing a lot on this game's success?[/QUOTE]

0_out_of_10_troll.jpg

[quote name='jeebert']Are you implying that Activision has "invested" in good reviews? That's a big generalization to make against the credibility of a lot of different sites. Seems unlikely to me.[/QUOTE]
Actually I am pretty sure all publishers do it for bit hit games or games they pumped a lot of money in. Whoever has the most money can get the highest review scores.

I do think this game is a cool idea, just way too much money to spend on it which is a big turn off.

[quote name='Readvacancy']I love how Pokemon has been doing this for years but then another company develops a really good idea and you rip them for it.[/QUOTE]

I don't remember having to buy an action figure of every pokemon in order to use them in-game.

If this game can be played just as spyro from beginning to end, and the rest of the stuff is optional, that's one thing. But if you are required to buy all 32 figures just to beat it...that totals to be a ~$400 game.

[quote name='Drclaw411']I don't remember having to buy an action figure of every pokemon in order to use them in-game.

If this game can be played just as spyro from beginning to end, and the rest of the stuff is optional, that's one thing. But if you are required to buy all 32 figures just to beat it...that totals to be a ~$400 game.[/QUOTE]
You don't have to buy anything else to play the game start to finish.

There are 8 classes of character. The game comes with 3. There are side-paths that you can take in each level that to earn extra items, etc that require certain character classes. The side-path is usually a short little puzzle or challenge aimed at that character class. If you don't have the toy, you can't go that way and won't get the item. It doesn't prohibit you from doing anything though.

[quote name='nbballard']You don't have to buy anything else to play the game start to finish.

There are 8 classes of character. The game comes with 3. There are side-paths that you can take in each level that to earn extra items, etc that require certain character classes. The side-path is usually a short little puzzle or challenge aimed at that character class. If you don't have the toy, you can't go that way and won't get the item. It doesn't prohibit you from doing anything though.[/QUOTE]

I'm much more interested in the game now. Out of curiosity, do you need ANY figures to finish the game? If I can wait and buy this used (or wait for a game-only release of this after it's sequel comes out) and just play as Spyro from start to finish without having to scan in a single figure, i'd definitely bite.

[quote name='Drclaw411']I'm much more interested in the game now. Out of curiosity, do you need ANY figures to finish the game? If I can wait and buy this used (or wait for a game-only release of this after it's sequel comes out) and just play as Spyro from start to finish without having to scan in a single figure, i'd definitely bite.[/QUOTE]
You have to have the portal base and a figure to play the game- kind of like rockband/GH.

The first thing the game tells you to do is place a figure on the portal, and if you can't do that, then you can't trigger the rest of the game to start. It can't be bought without the portal and figures- so Gamestop or other 2nd-hand places would likely require the portal (w/usb dongle) and a minimum of 1 figure on trades if they take them at all.

The different characters are pretty cool though- they each have unique move sets and animations, etc.

I like the guy who comes into this thread and claims the game is a failure because it hasn't sold out after a day of being on the market.

The real test will be after Black Friday, when these either get quite a bit harder to find or are flooding store shelves. I'm keeping my stuff sealed for now, on the off chance retailers think it will bomb and drop the price, but I'm expecting these to do very well this holiday season because the concept is strong and backed by a quality game from everything I've seen.

Some of those Exclusive characters and items are only "Timed Exclusives".. You will be able to get the other characters at other stores probably within a month or two when they release the other figures...

i.e.
Skylanders Spyro's Adventure Pack - Darklight Crypt is only a Toys R Us Exclusive for a month
as you can see at this link, you can pre-order it from Wal-Mart. which will be release on November 15th. http://www.walmart.com/ip/Skylanders-Adventure-Pack-Darklight-Crypt-UNIV-Wii/17350849.

[quote name='etcrane']I like the guy who comes into this thread and claims the game is a failure because it hasn't sold out after a day of being on the market.

The real test will be after Black Friday, when these either get quite a bit harder to find or are flooding store shelves. I'm keeping my stuff sealed for now, on the off chance retailers think it will bomb and drop the price, but I'm expecting these to do very well this holiday season because the concept is strong and backed by a quality game from everything I've seen.[/QUOTE]

I opened the game to play it, I'm not worried about since I used BBY credit to buy it. I'm keeping the figures sealed though, at least I can return that if the game does tank.

[quote name='EdgeCrusher36']I remember when Guitar Hero 1 came out, everyone said "no one will buy a game with a plastic guitar!!!!".[/QUOTE]

Yeah, no. Not the same thing.

I have a feeling this will go the way of Eye of Judgement. Great concept, but the concept wasnt enough to carry the weight of a poor property. EOJ would have been much better if it were used with MTG, Pokemon or Yu-Gi-Oh cards. This game looks like its something that would be better with a Pokemon or even a Shin Megami Tensei license.

I hope it does well as its a neat concept, but the Spyro name isnt really one that's withstood the test of time.

bread's done
Back