Skylanders Spyro's Adventure Sam's Club Exclusive Starter + Drill Seargent $64.86 +tx

Yuckmouth

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
I'm guessing this will be available in stores tomorrow as well. Looks like the best deal for far as it's $5 cheaper than regular retail and includes a free Sam's Club exclusive character.

Drill Sergeant is a Sam's Club / Walmart only character.

Xbox 360
WII
PS3
3DS

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Bezerker']I have a feeling this will go the way of Eye of Judgement. Great concept, but the concept wasnt enough to carry the weight of a poor property. EOJ would have been much better if it were used with MTG, Pokemon or Yu-Gi-Oh cards. This game looks like its something that would be better with a Pokemon or even a Shin Megami Tensei license.

I hope it does well as its a neat concept, but the Spyro name isnt really one that's withstood the test of time.[/QUOTE]

That's how I feel about it. I love the concept, but the Spyro franchise sort of got driven into the ground with some very mediocre releases in the PS2 era and frankly, I liked the PSOne Spyro because of the gameplay and I could care less about the world the character inhabits, especially now that it's aimed at small children.

1. I think the key opinion that will dictate the success of this product is what kids, not adults think of it.

2. Price-wise it's actually not so bad, considering for $70 you get a game, 3 figures and a blue-tooth/ wired peripheral. The 3DS is the only overpriced starter imo.

3. If this franchise fails, it will be because parents found the figures and other sets to be too expensive. But when you consider a normal figure costs around the same price but these tie-in to the extension of gameplay on the system ... well, it becomes a better value for a parent than just another toy that gets tossed aside.

4. The marketing of this title has been substantial ... TV ads, interactive displays in every major store, a complex website ... Activision is banking on this more than Sony ever banked on Eye of Judgement, which was a niche game for a very small market of what one could argue were adult/older card game collector's (the cards weren't cartoony enough to draw the elementary school crowd). Skylanders is aimed squarely at the Pokemon demographic, which is actually fairly wide AND family gamers who like to game but have kids.

I wouldn't be so swift to count this out ...

Why is the 3DS version $69.99? I was interested and was going to just start with the 3DS version, but at that price I might as well get the 360 version.

[quote name='Raider']Why is the 3DS version $69.99? I was interested and was going to just start with the 3DS version, but at that price I might as well get the 360 version.[/QUOTE]
I'm with you- the 3DS version seems a bit over priced compared to the others. If I had to hazard a guess, i'd say it has something to do with the portal using infrared instead of the tech that the consoles use (also, it's a totally different portal than the other games).

There're a few reviews out now, and they all seem pretty lukewarm. While the average score is around 8/10, none of the reviews make it sound like a must have. And a few, definitely sound a bit coerced (e.g. Activision may not send me more crap, if I crap all over this thing...) based on the fact that they say very little positive about the game, but still give it a high score.

To me it just comes down to the micro transaction issue. Yes, the technology is nice, but basically you're asking me to hand you more money to unlock stuff that is already on the disc that you sold me. You're doing it in a clever way, but a turd is a turd no matter how you paint it.
That said, my kid was immediately taken by the figurines and their power. If I had not already made up my mind, I could've been coerced into thinking about a purchase.

Hopefully they printed tons of these things and it doesn't sell good so we can all buy it for $20 later on when it hits the clearance bin like the Tony Hawk and Guitar Hero bundles.

It doesn't have to do poorly for it to hit the clearance bin. Even during Guitar Hero's heyday the bundles hit the clearance bin. If it does well we'll see more games using the peripheral, which is something I'd like to see. I wouldn't want this thing to be limited to one gauntlet clone.

Can't believe people are actually interested in this crap. Not only royally fuck up Spyro but make him a peripheral whore, great job Bobby Kotick.

This thread is ridiculous. This game is for kids. Kids get their parents to buy them action figures that do nothing ALL THE TIME. My parents bought me so many Star Wars figures and Transfomers for holidays that just sat in my toybox but damn if I didn't have to have the next ones too.

Everyone in this thread is approaching this game as if it is for them. It's not. Deal with it. If you are an adult and have fun with it, good. But it was never intended for you.

I for one have worked too many retail places and watched little kids trying to get their parents to buy them GTA or Call of Duty to think this is a bad thing. Video Games always used to be for kids now obnoxious people in their twenties think they own the medium and should have the last say on everything involved with it.

Also, someone please tell me the difference between a kid wanting a new stage for his game and an action figure that he can play as. And the obnoxious twits who storm into game stores all "Yo I need that new Call of Duty map pack, bro." or "I need a points pack so I can purchase some sweet avatar gear that lets everyone know I'm a big fan of Robocop."

The business of this entire world is to get you to buy new crap. Kids get Skylanders packs and Pokemon and adults get their latest mildly improved bit of Apple's crap. Welcome to capitalism.

[quote name='slidecage']70 bucks for the 3ds verison as well... major flop on the 3ds[/QUOTE]

The 3DS is a major flop, not a surprise it's software will do poorly also.

On better platforms this will do well

Y[quote name='dragonjud']There're a few reviews out now, and they all seem pretty lukewarm. While the average score is around 8/10, none of the reviews make it sound like a must have. And a few, definitely sound a bit coerced (e.g. Activision may not send me more crap, if I crap all over this thing...) based on the fact that they say very little positive about the game, but still give it a high score.

To me it just comes down to the micro transaction issue. Yes, the technology is nice, but basically you're asking me to hand you more money to unlock stuff that is already on the disc that you sold me. You're doing it in a clever way, but a turd is a turd no matter how you paint it.
That said, my kid was immediately taken by the figurines and their power. If I had not already made up my mind, I could've been coerced into thinking about a purchase.[/QUOTE]

The only thing you said that mattered was 8 out of 10.
It's a quality product that will make money if it catches on

[quote name='Jaysonguy']Y

The only thing you said that mattered was 8 out of 10.
It's a quality product that will make money if it catches on[/QUOTE]

Thank you for your insight. Move along.

[quote name='Jaysonguy']The 3DS is a major flop, not a surprise it's software will do poorly also.

On better platforms this will do well[/QUOTE]
Except 3DS isn't a flop.

I don't think these will become rare. I think that if they sell very well, then they will make more to fill the demand. Or they if don't sell well, they will go on clearance. I know that my nieces and nephews and siblings would ask for Sonic Generations or the new Spiderman instead of this Skylander game.

I decided to pass, saw one set up in Target's and it definately made it seem much more.....kid-like to me. Ended up just getting Forza 4 as my 3rd game at Toys R Us.

Gonna keep my eye out on sales for this though, if it goes under 50$ i would probally jump on it

This game really wasn't on my radar until recently, and I have to say I think it is really cool. I understand where the detractors are coming from on having to pay extra for on the disk content, but it all depends on your perspective and whether you consider this just a video game to be played. For kids, like my sons, this is going to be so much more - a game and a toy they can play with and show off to friends. One thing that is forgotten is that those figures don't just unlock content, they also store cross platform save data. You can level them up on your XBox360, get some cool items then pick up the figure, carry it over to a friend's house, set it on their Wii and your character has all of their stats and items in their game and everything you do there you carry back home.

The figures are $7.99, and just today when I bought it I also picked up the last Super Mario vinyl figure from set 3 we were missing for $5.99. That little figure is smaller, doesn't save data, doesn't unlock anything on a website and doesn't give me new stuff to do in a video game. Do I feel like that is a bad deal? No, I was buying an action figure that is just an action figure. For $2 more, the Skylanders figures I also bought are that and all of the above. And they look really cool too.

The game is aimed at kids, but I definitely think it is going to be fun to play with the kids. It is sort of a Gauntlet type game. I doubt I'll be booting that up over Dark Souls or something else once they go to bed, but hey that's cool. It's not aimed at me.

One thing for those that are interested in going in on this for more than just the game and want an even better deal, Toys R Us considers all of the packs and figures to be video game accessories for the buy 2 get 1 sale and you also get a free figure if you spend over $100 on Skylander and those deals stack. I bought the starter game pack for 360, an adventure pack and two extra figures and ended up getting 5 more figures free (3 pack and 2 extra). This will be great to have some extras to keep for birthdays/stocking stuffers/good grades/chores. I already mentioned it to some other parents and they were getting it for their kids for Christmas too, so I think it will be a bit hit in the neighborhood.

defpally you are so right! The Skylander figures are really nice and perfectly detailed and painted. The figures alone would grab any Spyro fan (that is if you don't mind the new look of Spyro). There is a lot to do and some great puzzles too. I play with my daughter (9) who love Spyro as much as I did back in the day. I love that I can drop in and drop out, help her through some tougher spots and then let her take over. Yes, it is geared towards kids, but so was the PS1 games. Get it and have some fun with your kids. I hear good things about the adventure packs, I hope they continue to add more so we have more areas to explore.

OH and jus unlocked the preview for Cynder, wow, my daughter went wild! Spyro fans will certainly want to get this figure, even if they don't play the game. Spyro fans have been dreaming of a Cynder toy or plush since she made her first apperance. I had to wipe the drool from my daughter's lips!

I'm with you. I think the whole idea is awesome, but if I didn't have kids, I would just wait for a sale. But since I do have kids, I had to have it. It's just too cool.

Luckily with TRU's B2G1 sale, I got it right away, and at a discount.

I heard Jeff Gertsmann talk about this on the bombcast. I also watched their quick look of the game. It seemed like a cool concept to me and he seemed to really like it.

So...I just got back from TRU. Picked up the starter pack and 2 adventure packs. Due to the B2G1 free deal, I got one of the adventure packs for free.

If I find it completely lame, I'll put it all up on eBay.

Bought the 360 version, thinking about also getting the 3DS version. Haven't played it yet waiting for the wife to get home so we can play together. I did play around a little bit with the online area on my Mac. Not bad for an added extra, also seems you can level your Skylanders online. Couple of quick questions. I have the figure bug and am wondering what is the best pack to get? I'm thinking one of each class? What's everyone's favorite figure so far?

[quote name='UberNinjaz']Can't believe people are actually interested in this crap. Not only royally fuck up Spyro but make him a peripheral whore, great job Bobby Kotick.[/QUOTE]
I dont get it either, but (thankfully) I dont have kids, which seems like most of the folks buying this do have (Even though most seem to be buying it for themselves, if a Penny Arcade comic is any indicator :)) Im just glad I can sit back and shrug, glad I am not wasting money on another fad and better off for it.

I have yet to find a drill sergeant, out of the 3 I've been too, everybody is clueless as to what I'm talking about or I find the 3 packs in the top shelves of the toy isles.

[quote name='Raider'] Couple of quick questions. I have the figure bug and am wondering what is the best pack to get? I'm thinking one of each class? What's everyone's favorite figure so far?[/QUOTE]

After getting my starter pack and the 2 adventure packs, I started reading into things more. I found there are 8 element classes of characters. The 5 characters I got with what I bought all just happen to be different classes. So, I just needed to buy 3 more characters for the life, fire and wind elements. So, I went back to TRU and thanks to the B2G1 free deal, got them for $17.

[quote name='skiizim']I have yet to find a drill sergeant, out of the 3 I've been too, everybody is clueless as to what I'm talking about or I find the 3 packs in the top shelves of the toy isles.[/QUOTE]
Same here- checked 2 Sam's and 4 wal-marts. Nobody has any idea, and were all unwilling to look in the back.

I'm enjoying just collecting them for now haha havent even opened anything yet. I need to get those damn adventure packs I guess but other than that I have most of whats available.

For anyone that doesn't know there are store exclusives:

Walmart/Sams = Drill Sergeant
Target = Whirlwind
Toys R Us = Legendary 3 pack (Spyro, Bash, and Chop Chop)

Any other exclusives or is that all of them? Did Best Buy get anything?

Did anyone order from Sam's Club? When did they charge you? I placed an order on Saturday night, and up until Wednesday it said "processing" until it switched immediately to "delivered". I tried to cancel it before then but it said I'd have to call customer service to do so. I decide to buy the game in person at Best Buy on Wednesday night. Lo and behold, I check my door Thursday morning and the package is at my doorstep... but the charge hasn't shown up on my Visa yet.

Do you think it'll show up in the next few days AFTER delivery? Or did I just get a free game?

[quote name='ShockandAww']I'm enjoying just collecting them for now haha havent even opened anything yet. I need to get those damn adventure packs I guess but other than that I have most of whats available.

For anyone that doesn't know there are store exclusives:

Walmart/Sams = Drill Sergeant
Target = Whirlwind
Toys R Us = Legendary 3 pack (Spyro, Bash, and Chop Chop)

Any other exclusives or is that all of them? Did Best Buy get anything?[/QUOTE]
Best Buy had a pack-in in their bundle called the "Volcanic Vault", and TRU has the Crypt adventure pack.

They are all timed exclusive.

[quote name='Bezerker']I have a feeling this will go the way of Eye of Judgement. Great concept, but the concept wasnt enough to carry the weight of a poor property. EOJ would have been much better if it were used with MTG, Pokemon or Yu-Gi-Oh cards. This game looks like its something that would be better with a Pokemon or even a Shin Megami Tensei license.

I hope it does well as its a neat concept, but the Spyro name isnt really one that's withstood the test of time.[/QUOTE]

In the game itself, Spyro is a bit player, potentially sharing the spotlight with 30 some-odd other characters. I think that most kids in the target age range, my son included, don't really know who Spyro is and they don't care too much, the advertising and the interest is in the game itself with a wide range of characters that each have personality.

I have my doubts that this will have a better fate than U.B. Funkeys, which was basically the same concept (in fact, it's this is practically ripping off Funkeys)...but they are certainly getting off to a good start and I have to admit that it has piqued my interest. Yes, I hate what they've done to Spyro, but I do like the concept nonetheless. And it's definitely a smart gimmick, especially considering that kids aren't going to care that they are paying for on-disc content. They're going to want the figures just because they're cool (I've already bought one for that very reason and I don't even have the game); the unlockable game content is just an added bonus. The only thing that bugs me about all of this is that you have to spend $100 to get that stupid TRU exclusive. Makes me wonder what chance I have of getting the toy and then returning the stuff I bought...

After looking at the actual TRU 'Spend $100' promo, I'm not actually sure you get an exclusive figure. Reading the details, it sounds like they email you a coupon after December that allows you to get any 1 $7.99 figure free. Now I could be mistaken, but if that's the case then the deal isn't quite so compelling imo.

You can play w/ the characters THROUGH the packaging. It totally isn't as cool, but after done playing, you can wipe the character and sell it as new. :) (From the Giantbombcast.)

If my boy was a few years older, I'd totally have this to play w/ him. He's 2yr/old, and we're slowly playing w/ the new Kirby. :D

I have only taken the stuff out of my starter pack. I bought 2 adventure packs and 3 individual characters and they have been in their boxes since last Friday.

I'm thinking I'll leave them in the packaging. If/When I get sick of the game, I'll just put the stuff up on eBay. Probably get a dollar or two more for them if they are still in their original packaging. I'm hanging on to the starter pack box as well. Put everything back in there and sell it.

[quote name='emperordahc']You can play w/ the characters THROUGH the packaging. It totally isn't as cool, but after done playing, you can wipe the character and sell it as new. :) (From the Giantbombcast.)

If my boy was a few years older, I'd totally have this to play w/ him. He's 2yr/old, and we're slowly playing w/ the new Kirby. :D[/QUOTE]
I did this in store at TrU and didnt even think of doing it at home. Good thing I still havent opened them.

Edit: It seems like a dumb move too because people could just buy and return when they're done. I dont know who would buy them just to complete the game but I'm sure people would.

I wonder if there's a market for pre-leveled characters? Similar to selling ur WoW character. If this game is hot this holiday season, we could all make some money grinding our Skylanders. I know i am looking forward to spending 100 hours leveling up my Legendary Chop Chop;-)

We have about 5 Wal-Marts locally within 10 minutes of each other. I have seen Drill Sergeant at each one. I haven't bought him yet because my wife has me on purchasing "hold" due to birthday and Christmas. I hope she already picked me one up.

[quote name='etcrane']After looking at the actual TRU 'Spend $100' promo, I'm not actually sure you get an exclusive figure. Reading the details, it sounds like they email you a coupon after December that allows you to get any 1 $7.99 figure free. Now I could be mistaken, but if that's the case then the deal isn't quite so compelling imo.[/QUOTE]
It's supposedly the only way to get the Legendary Trigger Happy. Of course, I would love having a way to get him without having to spend a ridiculous amount of money.

[quote name='EdgeCrusher36']Tried to find a whirlwind today. Every Target in the area is sold out. And target.com has them listed as being on backorder for 2 to 4 weeks. Doh.[/QUOTE]

Saw them listed at amazon today for $24. This is starting to get crazy.

Figurines are console generic, and may be used with multiple consoles. The figure actually holds data (your stats) from the game, and may be carried to your friends house and played with on his console, even if he has a 360 and you have a Wii. So yes, your figure will work on both, and your figure will keep persistent data and stats regardless of which platform you use.

The Portals of Power have a hardware dongle for hooking up to the consoles, and the games/discs are each written for each console exclusively, but that is where the console exclusivity ends. Wombat says the hardware interface technology may be the same one used with Guitar Hero, and knowing Activision that is likely the case. Note, the 3DS Portal is physically smaller than the others.

Toys For Bob is the original designer and developer of this game. When Activision realized that this game was something special, they decided to go multi-console and enlisted other development teams to create console specific versions. I don't know if they are "ports" per se, or if they were built from the ground up for each platform.

When it comes to store exclusives, so far Best Buy is the only one offering an exclusive "arena." The packaging does not note it, but the store signage does. Everyone else has exclusive figurines. This is likely the one I will try and score for my kid, and we'll pick up the figures as we find them.

The game is a 3D hack and slash, like a kiddie version of God of War, with lots of variety in the game levels/spaces. Each figure has their own special abilities and attacks. If you watch the videos, it will quickly become apparent what kind of gameplay it has.

Where the game is a little malicious, is that it is full of locked areas, and these are accessed by the figures and accessories you buy. As you play the game, you will encounter locked areas that you cannot get into, unless you have the right toy. I have not yet heard if all content is on the discs, or if any of it is downloadable--I would speculate everything is on the disc as this would reduce development costs.

As the figures are all $7.99, I think they will sell well. Kids and parents are used to spending a lot on figures (thanks Kenner and Star Wars) and I think it will be an easy sell. The $8.00 price point also makes it an easy toy to buy your kid just to make them shut-up while you shop.

This will likely be one of the biggest toys this season. If Activision has any brains, they will get this toy featured on Ellen, Jimmy Fallon, or something like that. The right marketing can make this huge.

[quote name='nbballard']They are all timed exclusive.[/QUOTE]

Is this confirmed?

No one else is selling an item like the volcanic vault are they? I have been looking closely at the toys, and I have seen nothing else like it.

If they are all timed exclusives, then this will make buying them infinitely easier, and it will definitely remove the need to act fast to secure them.

[quote name='donssword']Is this confirmed?

No one else is selling an item like the volcanic vault are they? I have been looking closely at the toys, and I have seen nothing else like it.

If they are all timed exclusives, then this will make buying them infinitely easier, and it will definitely remove the need to act fast to secure them.[/QUOTE]

They are all timed exclusives. Come middle of November or after Thanksgiving perhaps, they'll be available everywhere. It's just a way of the publisher pushing their product through different outlets, by making everyone feel special:lol:.

Anyone pick up the 3ds version of the game?

I'm kinda interested in that version as it seems to be more of a platformer than the home console versions, no jumping?!:cold:

I've avoided Skylanders so far but might pick one up during either the upcoming Target or Kmart sale. Still thinking it over

Well I was at Target with my girlfriend the other day and she gets a call from her brother who bought Skylanders. So we check out the display and notice Whirlwind with the target exclusive sticker on it. We decide to pick it up for him, didnt realize it was semi-rare. Well, thats a nice find. I played a little on his DS, its pretty fun and nastalgic of the ps1 spyro era. I dont know how I feel about the cost per new character yet though, but I'll play a little more on his ds before deciding if it I want it haha

[quote name='rbarba4']Anyone pick up the 3ds version of the game?

I'm kinda interested in that version as it seems to be more of a platformer than the home console versions, no jumping?!:cold:

I've avoided Skylanders so far but might pick one up during either the upcoming Target or Kmart sale. Still thinking it over[/QUOTE]
The 3DS version does away with the true "hot swapping", in favor of loading 2 of the characters into the game. It's a bit cumbersome, especially if you are playing cross-platform since you are required to re-load each character into the 3DS to update their figures. It's set-up more like an old Crash bandicoot game. You are typically travelling into the screen and trying to get to a way point at the end and others that are essentially endurance maps. There are a number of worlds (each with 5 levels). Each level has 5 criteria you are trying to meet- collect so many coins, find all of a collectible, completion time. Each criteria nets you a point towards unlocking a new world.

bread's done
Back