Skylanders - Toys brought to life, Cross-platform Connectivity *Giants Out Now*

Preordered at Best Buy, and they didn't even put them out until I asked. Couldn't find their Light Core Hex figures, so they told me to pick out any other Skylander of choice. My son was very happy.
Local ToysRus claimed that Ligthcore Hex wasn't ringing up as free in the system, so I could have one of the new core 'Swap Force' characters instead. I was also thankful, since I don't much care for Hex.

Local ToysRus claimed that Ligthcore Hex wasn't ringing up as free in the system, so I could have one of the new core 'Swap Force' characters instead. I was also thankful, since I don't much care for Hex.
Lightcore Hex required a coupon on the pre order card to become free. It was not automatic in the system.

Lightcore Hex required a coupon on the pre order card to become free. It was not automatic in the system.
I was trying to show the guy that when I was trying to pick up my 3ds preorder at the midnight launch but they wouldn't listen. I think that is what screwed me up trying to use both coupons on my preorder so I just gave up and bought those two swappable guys by themselves and put the starter pack back.

Between that and never receiving anything about the bonus extra free character for preordering tru yet again dropped the ball on this for me. Also a little sick of the extra money charges for these things.

I played through the first level of th game last night. It seems like quite a bit of an upgrade in presentation. If wave 2 is hitting soon, I hope they have the other 4 movement types of Swap Force figures. It was a bummer to hit a portal in the first level that you couldn't pass through. Also, in the pause menu' you can actually view all of the swap force figures, and very possible combination. 16 total figures, 256 combinations, with 2 of each movment type for the bases I think.

Edit - the early favorite for me is Star Strike. She can shoot a projectile that returns to her, and has a spin attack that can keep the projectile going to power it up.

Last edited by a moderator:
I swore I was done with Skylanders when I picked up Infinity. But then it was late Saturday night, and I was near a Walmart...

I ended up preordering Swapforce @ 11:40 pm so that I could get the Hex figure, 

I debated the PS3 version against WiiU. Even though I originally purchased Giants for PS3, I eventually got it for WiiU (when Target was giving them away for $1). I didn't think the WiiU version of Giants looked as good as the PS3. Graphics seemed more dim, not as vibrant. But I did like the Gamepad integration...

In the end I went with the WiiU version, and it looks great. I grabbed a few figures (including Enchanted Hoot Loop) and the Tower of Time set. 

I've paid it little attention (as I said, Infinity was going to be this years money sink), so I was a bit surprised (and dismayed) when the Vicarious Visions logo appeared. After spending the greater part of yesterday playing, I have to say I like this much more than Giants. 

Tomorrow, I plan on using the notes gleaned from AtlusParker's survival guide to hopefully get the rest of the exclusives. 

I wasn't expecting much but the clerk I dealt with at TRU was pretty sharp and was already aware of the hoops necessary to get all the different promos to work. He honored not only the preorder deal but also the Frito-Lay coupon, 20% off TRU coupon, and the B1G140% sale.  So in 2 separate transactions that were $72 each I got a starter pack, LC Hex, another free figure, and an adventure (or battle) pack.

Any idea whats included in Wave 2?
From what I've seen so far of wave 2, the list that I posted a few pages ago is accurate. Sam's Club has the singlepacks out already and they match up with my list. The SWAP Force figures are the only unknowns now but a few of them appeared on TRU's site this morning and were quickly taken down.

For reference:

Fire Kraken

Boom Jet

Grilla Drilla

Night Shift

Scorp

Star Strike

Riptide

Twin Blade Chop Chop

Big Bang Trigger Happy

Anchors Away Gill Grunt

From what I've seen so far of wave 2, the list that I posted a few pages ago is accurate. Sam's Club has the singlepacks out already and they match up with my list. The SWAP Force figures are the only unknowns now but a few of them appeared on TRU's site this morning and were quickly taken down.

For reference:
Any exclusives or variants in wave two?

Just got an email from TRU stating that they will be releasing limited quantities of wave 2 Swap-force figures: Fire Kraken, Boom Jet and 10 other all-new figures.   

The figures Atlus mention are correct for wave 2.  

Case breakdowns

Swappers

3 each of Boom Jet, Night Shift, Grilla Drilla & Fire Kraken

Singles

3 each of Rip Tide and Scorp

1 each of Star Strike, Trigger Happy, Gill Grunt, Terrafin, Chop Chop & Sprocket.

The figures Atlus mention are correct for wave 2.

Case breakdowns

Swappers

3 each of Boom Jet, Night Shift, Grilla Drilla & Fire Kraken

Singles

3 each of Rip Tide and Scorp

1 each of Star Strike, Trigger Happy, Gill Grunt, Terrafin, Chop Chop & Sprocket.
Any Legendary versions?

I know TRU mentioned they have the early release, but does anyone know when they will be hitting other stores?  My TRU Express still hasn't received any Swap Force figures.  :cry:

Posting it here as well.  Check your prices if you're heading to ToysRus.  On Sunday they were charging $16.99 for the swapable characters, but as of Monday morning they had raised all their prices to $18.49, and $19.49 for legendaries.

Pay up now, or pay regular prices in a few weeks (when everyone gets them)...your choice.

Posting it here as well. Check your prices if you're heading to ToysRus. On Sunday they were charging $16.99 for the swapable characters, but as of Monday morning they had raised all their prices to $18.49, and $19.49 for legendaries.

Pay up now, or pay regular prices in a few weeks (when everyone gets them)...your choice.
TRU will always match their own website prices on top of any sales.

Posting it here as well. Check your prices if you're heading to ToysRus. On Sunday they were charging $16.99 for the swapable characters, but as of Monday morning they had raised all their prices to $18.49, and $19.49 for legendaries.

Not sure where you are, but I've heard TRU in some areas have higher prices (NYC in particular). I was there yesterday (mid size market) and their prices were the same - however I did not purchase Legendaries (did that Sunday) so it might just not be marked yet. The new Swappers I bought were $16.99 and rang up with the B1G1 40% off correctly.

As mentioned, you can match their website on the price (or ship to store) for the Legendary, and Walmart for the others. You will forego the sale though.

Ok, I'll stop with the ToysRus bashing now.  I've always known that there's a price hike on practically 70% of everything they stock, so it's really not a surprise.

About the game: It seems like more of the same, except that there seems to be a bit more polish to the entire game.  They've also 'intensified/encouraged more purchases' through the locked doors.  There's a locked section in level 2, that requires a Skylander that may not be out for some time.  And in the first 4 levels, there're at least 2 locked doors, that require a skylander from Wave 2.

At the same time, they've increased the tracking of what you have/missing by creating an 'in game' detailed spreadsheet like view.  

My son likes to constantly switch the characters, so I can't say I've got a favorite out of new ones yet.

My favorite guys are Grim Creeper and Pop Thorn (don't really like the character, but love the fire and forget homing "missiles"). My son seems to be fire based, as he's always using Blastzone and Smoulderdash. We found out through a happy accident that we were wrong in assuming that gates that required two different elements to open had to be opened by swapped characters. As long as each player is one of the required elements (if it's a life/ fire gate, then player 1 can be life and player 2 fire), the gate wil open. So single players can join a second guy, open the gate, and then unjoin the second guy.

This seems to be much more robust than giants. Aside from secrets, we blew through the Giants story in about 10 hours. We've clocked in over 20 hours and there are at least 4 stages to go. I like that they got rid of the time attack part, as they often made us have to play through each level a minimum of 3 times to get all three stars. 

Just noticed that the Walgreen ad shows SwapForce figures for $10.99 but the picture shows Rattleshake and another swappable guy. Might try and do a price match at TRU worst thing is they only let me PM the two pictured in the ad.

Update:
Had my wife go in and she was able to PM all the swappable guys with the Walgreens ad down to the $10.99. Ended up saving us like another $2.60 per guy.

If any one cares this is the minimum amount of toys you need to complete the game 100%.

http://www.ign.com/wikis/skylanders-swap-force/Minimum_Toys_Needed

• Starter Pack - $74.99
  • Rattle Shake - $15.99
  • Magna Charge - $15.99
  • Free Ranger - $15.99
  • Hoot Loop - $15.99
  • Stink Bomb - $15.99 (not available at launch)
  • Rubble Rouser - $15.99 (not available at launch)
  • Any Giants character - $14.99
  • Sheep Wreck Adventure Pack - $24.99 (not available at launch)
  • Tower of Time Adventure Pack - $24.99
  • Fiery Forge Battle Pack - $24.99

I'd like opinions on which character is more enjoyable; Rattle Shake or Free Ranger.

I picked up Hoot Loop, and wanted to get Nitro Magna Charge as well. I'm wondering which of the two-packs from Target would be the better one. I've already picked up Legendary Free Ranger, but since I've kept all of the Legendaries on their cards, he's not really playable (since he can't be swapped).

I have enjoyed Rattle Shake more than I thought I would. Free Ranger is fine, but he is mainly melee, and I feel like there are more fun melee characters to use like Grilla Drilla. Rattle Shake also gets this almost metallic purple character skin for a soul gem that makes him look really sweet.

I've seen a couple reports about wave 2 in other stores besides TRU.  Has anyone heard anything about a release date for these, or are store stocking as they receive them at this point?  I only ask because the TRU Express near me has not received any Swap Force figures at all.  When I talked to the manager, he said they weren't on the distribution list for some reason and it will be a while before they receive any. 

I have enjoyed Rattle Shake more than I thought I would. Free Ranger is fine, but he is mainly melee, and I feel like there are more fun melee characters to use like Grilla Drilla. Rattle Shake also gets this almost metallic purple character skin for a soul gem that makes him look really sweet.
Free Ranger's bottom half tornado butt is great though. Just spin around the place killing chompies! I love it.

Picked up a Grilla Drilla @ Gamestop yesterday.

They also had Night Shift, Boomjet, and Fire Kraken; but I'm waiting for sales/legendary variants. 

I would have waited on Grilla, but he has the "dig" property needed to get through some gates. Would be nice if a sneak character was made available as well, instead of repeats. It's annoying to be artificially held back from completing the game.

Picked up a Grilla Drilla @ Gamestop yesterday.
They also had Night Shift, Boomjet, and Fire Kraken; but I'm waiting for sales/legendary variants.
Thanks for mentioning this. I went to my local GS this morning and didn't see any new ones on the shelf. I asked the woman working and she said she thought they had more out back. She came out with a whole box of wave 2 swappable figures. She said someone must have thought they were more of the same that were already out there.

With Black Friday right around the corner I can't imagine buying any figures unless they're variants.
For me, the figures are worth the extra cost right now, because they will be used right now. I know the late releases from previous games haven't seen nearly as much use as the figures that come early in the release of game. So, while it would be better to wait for a sale on the figures, spending $15 on it when it will see more use makes sense for me. Obviously the best idea is only buying figures you need to complete the game, or not even buying it in the first place.

Also, liike some said, you need the dig ability from Grilla Drilla in the first level if you want to do everything in the game. A sneak character is also needed but hasn't been released.

Since there is no true "Skylanders" trade thread I will post here. I have a complete set of all four Giants "Sidekicks" I would like to get rid of for either Paypal or TRU Gift Cards. Willing only to sale as a set of four and will only ship to the USA or Canada.

Thanks,

Anthony

bread's done
Back