Skyrim

I have a few hours in and I am enjoying it, but I think I am going to hold off really getting into it for awhile. Not that I hate it because this game is fucking awesome, it's just I will wait a bit to play some of the other new releases I bought while I wait for mods, specifically menu mods.

I think I know why the vendors are not buying all my stuff... I think I've filled their inventory.

Oh theres a work around for the lack of vendor gold if anyone wants it. Thats one of my biggest gripes with the Elder Scrolls games is that I loot a dungeon and try to sell my crap but the vendors dont have enough money to buy it all. Often they dont have enough to buy a single good item from me. Thats why I got the PC version, specifically so I can mod the vendors to have a decent gold amount. Anyhow, heres the work around until we get some mods going...

Find the vendor you want to see to and face them. Press ` to bring up the console. Now click on that vendor, you'll see a number pop up. Now type this in...
additem 0000000F xxxx
where xxxx is the amount of gold you want them to have. Hit enter, and hit ` to close the console. They should have whatever amount of gold you gave them now.

Right now I'm doing the Black Azura's Star quest
I'm at the part where the guy soul traps you into the star, but I can't beat the Daedra in it. 3 come at me at once and like 3 shot me do death. I try summoning a Flame Anotch buy they kill it in like 3 hits too. :/

[quote name='SEH']Navigating menus with the mouse is a pain. Just use WASD, not really ideal but it works so much better at the moment.[/QUOTE]

Try doing that in a chest where you keep all your shit until you purchase the most expensive house. It's not fun navigating through 250+ items that are incredibly disorganized due to Bethesda and their bad design choices. :cold:

[quote name='Waughoo']Oh theres a work around for the lack of vendor gold if anyone wants it.[/QUOTE]
Why even bother, just give the gold to yourself if you're going to console cheat.

I swear this is the only game that you can play for hours and accomplish nothing storywise lol. I'm trying to advance the thief guild missions but each time I do I get stopped by a merchant or some shady person asking if I'd like work. What irritates me is I don't know if these are those infinite random quests or an actual quest chain. I'd rather only do the latter because sometimes they ask me to go way across the unexplored map and of course that'll never happen since there's far too many caves to be cleared in the meantime. Then you finally get there and the whole cycle repeats before you even finish the one you're on!

JFC, I like that there's so much content but not to the point where you can't delete quests or even figure out what to work on next because EVERYONE SUDDENLY NEEDS YOUR HELP. So yeah, it's a little overwhelming and the one thief guild quest I set out to do last night never even got started.

I think it would be more interesting and a bit immersive if 'miscellaneous' quests were managed by a guild that helps citizens many of these generic things they want. Something similar to the Witchers Quest Board. However give a reason for the board existing and build around it as part of the experieence.

I don't know about anybody else, but I just find it odd that everybody and their mother runs up to me asking for help when I look shady as hell wearing arch-mage robes and a creepy ass mask.

[quote name='Draekon']Try doing that in a chest where you keep all your shit until you purchase the most expensive house. It's not fun navigating through 250+ items that are incredibly disorganized due to Bethesda and their bad design choices. :cold:[/QUOTE]

That pissed me off the most. Your character's inventory is organized by weapons, apparel, ingredients, etc. But let's just throw all the shit together in a storage container where you'll put everything. I think I have to change it so each storage container has one type of item.

[quote name='icedrake523']That pissed me off the most. Your character's inventory is organized by weapons, apparel, ingredients, etc. But let's just throw all the shit together in a storage container where you'll put everything. I think I have to change it so each storage container has one type of item.[/QUOTE]
That's what I've done from the start. All ingredients in the satchel at my alchemy lab, all weapon/armor in a chest, and the rest in another chest. FYI, you can store books on your bookshelves now with a very convenient storage system. If you have a sick unique weapon you never use, put it on display with one of the plaques or weapon racks, too. House customization is pretty awesome this time.

Which makes me want to buy a cheap house. Though I don't want to waste the money really since I'm only like 1k short from buying the most expensive house. Could easily sell potions or enchanted items, but I don't really want to grind for that. Especially when completing a lot of quests they seem to give you 500+ gold.

[quote name='Draekon']Which makes me want to buy a cheap house. Though I don't want to waste the money really since I'm only like 1k short from buying the most expensive house. Could easily sell potions or enchanted items, but I don't really want to grind for that. Especially when completing a lot of quests they seem to give you 500+ gold.[/QUOTE]
I have like 50k that I've been saving up in case I ever find another home to buy. Considering I really haven't focused on the main quest at all, I have a feeling it will be a while before I'll need the money heh.

I don't have nearly that much. I don't sell shit, I hoard in these kinds of games. All my money I have (About 25k) is all gained from little quests and finding it on bodies. Spent around 5k on various things that I wish I hadn't so I would have that damnable house by now.

[quote name='Draekon']I don't have nearly that much. I don't sell shit, I hoard in these kinds of games. All my money I have (About 25k) is all gained from little quests and finding it on bodies. Spent around 5k on various things that I wish I hadn't so I would have that damnable house by now.[/QUOTE]
Crafting potions is the trick. There's so much to grab just going through each quest plus I steal anything rare from shops (better than fencing since anything crafted loses the stolen flag). Mix two flowers together and pending your skill each brew can yield 100g a pop. Then I just fast travel to every alchemist or general store offloading the wares. They resupply so fast and sometimes you can find something worth buying and end up spending nothing by just pure trade.

Same goes for smithing if you just buy up all the iron ore you can find and make daggers all day. Can easily grind out BS that way.

[quote name='Jodou']Crafting potions is the trick. There's so much to grab just going through each quest plus I steal anything rare from shops (better than fencing since anything crafted loses the stolen flag). Mix two flowers together and pending your skill each brew can yield 100g a pop. Then I just fast travel to every alchemist or general store offloading the wares. They resupply so fast and sometimes you can find something worth buying and end up spending nothing by just pure trade.

Same goes for smithing if you just buy up all the iron ore you can find and make daggers all day. Can easily grind out BS that way.[/QUOTE]

Crafting really is the way to go. I'm at 100 smithing, so I can go hunt down a handful of dragons and make like 5k on a set of armor. Or just use the 50 scales and bones I've accumulated in my questing. I just wish there was a way to smith in my quarters at the college without having to lug all that stuff to a blacksmith.

[quote name='Hydro2Oxide']Crafting really is the way to go. I'm at 100 smithing, so I can go hunt down a handful of dragons and make like 5k on a set of armor. Or just use the 50 scales and bones I've accumulated in my questing. I just wish there was a way to smith in my quarters at the college without having to lug all that stuff to a blacksmith.[/QUOTE]
Store them at your house in Whiterun. Seriously, the BS next door has EVERYTHING you need like 10 feet away and the shopkeep is always outside during operating hours so you can sell quickly.

I know I can grind it out easily, but I just flat out refuse to. Takes all the fun away for me so I try not to mindlessly grind. Short spurts I can, but that's only if I can be bothered. I did get rid of all my smithing iron ore and silver ore and transmuted it while huffing it cross-country through Skyrim. Then turned it all into gold necklaces that I enchanted with a ton of pretty soulgems that I found pre-souled and sold the enchanted gold necklaces, but that was it.

After I get a house and reorganize everything maybe I can be assed to go through and pick out all my alchemy crap and get some recipes (without pulling them from the internet) to craft some stuff.

I think the game is pretty damn cool but vampirism sucks :evil:. I've got to go back to an earlier save point. I'll lose a few hours but its worth it.

I know you can before you reach the final stage of it with a shrine or cure disease potion. Once you get the final stage, I don't know though. Based on how everything else works in this game, I would assume you could.

[quote name='Waughoo']I think I know why the vendors are not buying all my stuff... I think I've filled their inventory.

Oh theres a work around for the lack of vendor gold if anyone wants it. Thats one of my biggest gripes with the Elder Scrolls games is that I loot a dungeon and try to sell my crap but the vendors dont have enough money to buy it all. Often they dont have enough to buy a single good item from me. Thats why I got the PC version, specifically so I can mod the vendors to have a decent gold amount. Anyhow, heres the work around until we get some mods going...

Find the vendor you want to see to and face them. Press ` to bring up the console. Now click on that vendor, you'll see a number pop up. Now type this in...
additem 0000000F xxxx
where xxxx is the amount of gold you want them to have. Hit enter, and hit ` to close the console. They should have whatever amount of gold you gave them now. [/QUOTE]

Does this affect getting Steam achievements?

[quote name='Jodou']Why even bother, just give the gold to yourself if you're going to console cheat.[/QUOTE]

I'm with Waughoo, I don't want to cheat & give myself gold, but I *do* want to be able to sell the crap I've collected/crafted without having to scour every town for a vendor that still has gold to pay me with. I've never cared for that one "realistic" design choice Bethesda used.

I've used the command console and still unlocked achievements. Hopefully that doesn't change in a patch. I've mostly used it to give myself early gold to buy stuff and then give myself items just to see how they look.

So far I'm still getting achievements just fine.

Had a weird glitch yesterday. I'm in some dwarven ruins looting, and run out of inventory space. So I leave and fast travel back to White Run, drop my stuff, and headed back to the ruins. When I get there I see something at the edges of my screen, looks like theres something just behind me. I turn around and there is a dragon RIGHT THERE. I'm like "OH SHIT!" but the dragon falls over and I take it's soul.... I never even shot it. So I loot the pile-o-bones and take those all back to White Run. I go back to the ruins and Mr. Dragon is back! He's still dead, but he's got his skin back. So now I've got this dead dragon just laying around instead of the skeleton.

I also had a dragon attack a town I was in. First thing it did is land and kill a girl I got a quest from (picked her up in it's mouth and tossed her against her own house!). So I had to reload fight him again. Got him the second time. It's just kinda funny how the whole town goes after it. In the process of killing it a Spider came and attacked the town, and a Mudcrab. I think that town pissed off nature or something. The Mudcrab was funny cause some little boy just was kneeling next to it staring at it.

Eh, doesn't look that improved to me. Just smaller font and menu items listed horizontally. I prefer to mouse-wheel everything anyway.

I hope there's some DLC that allows you to have more weapon racks. I'd also really love it if there were something similar for armor where you can put all of it on something and still see it kind of like with the Knights of the Nine armor in Oblivion. It'd give you more incentive to build whole sets and be a lot cooler than just shoving it all in a cuboard like I do now.

Thanks for the heads up. I hope there's a DLC like the Fighter's Stronghold in Oblivion that lets you have a whole armory with stands and racks to display your stuff.

[quote name='icedrake523']Thanks for the heads up. I hope there's a DLC like the Fighter's Stronghold in Oblivion that lets you have a whole armory with stands and racks to display your stuff.[/QUOTE]

The wonderful thing, my good man, about Bethesda games, is little requests like that don't need paid DLC. They can be modded in.

I'm sure someone will make a kick-ass house full of racks in no time.

Yeah, I've amassed so much loot that just storing it in a chest sucks.

Doing the Dark Brotherhood quests now and this game just keeps getting better and better. I highly recommend finishing thieves guild first so you can feel like a real badass assassin doing these. They can play out like Assassin's Creed at times. I've clocked at least 100 hours now and still haven't touched the civil war, companions, or finished the mage guild quests. My biggest fear is that finishing the main quest will end the game, so I can't do that until I feel like I've seen everything there is to do. I need more hours in a day. . .

[quote name='Hydro2Oxide']The wonderful thing, my good man, about Bethesda games, is little requests like that don't need paid DLC. They can be modded in.

I'm sure someone will make a kick-ass house full of racks in no time.[/QUOTE]

Even better :D

Sigh, I want to play Skyrim, but life keeps getting in the way. Plus I'm in the Old Republic Beta, so I kinda wanna do that cause I've never been in a beta before.

Hit 100 Smithing and Enchanting last night, now I just need to level up a couple times to put perks in them.

Well shit, I was hoping they would fix the problems between the menus and the mouse interface. :(

I havent installed any of the graphics mods yet, been meaning to do so though.

That was a awesome video Jodou, really makes me wish I was not broke and spend all my money on Booze and trying to get with sluts.

[quote name='Logg']That was a awesome video Jodou, really makes me wish I was not broke and spend all my money on Booze and trying to get with sluts.[/QUOTE]
Ha, thanks! I'll probably never say this again but Skyrim > sex.

[quote name='Logg']That was a awesome video Jodou, really makes me wish I was not broke and spend all my money on Booze and trying to get with sluts.[/QUOTE]

and since you're posting in a pc gaming general discussion forum on a website devoted to video game deals, we can assume you wasted all that money and didn't get with a single girl!

Wow, it took me forever to find anything with a Fortify Smithing attribute, but I finally got one today. Now I just gotta make a fortify enchanting set of clothing, use it to make a fortify smithing set, then use that at the sky forge to make ridiculous stuff

[quote name='Waughoo']Wow, it took me forever to find anything with a Fortify Smithing attribute, but I finally got one today. Now I just gotta make a fortify enchanting set of clothing, use it to make a fortify smithing set, then use that at the sky forge to make ridiculous stuff[/QUOTE]

I hope they patch that shit out with diminishing returns or something.

[quote name='Waughoo']Wow, it took me forever to find anything with a Fortify Smithing attribute, but I finally got one today. Now I just gotta make a fortify enchanting set of clothing, use it to make a fortify smithing set, then use that at the sky forge to make ridiculous stuff[/QUOTE]Wait, does the sky forge buff you or something? I only recently found it because I never did companions but it didn't seem like anything special other than name.
[quote name='Hydro2Oxide']I hope they patch that shit out with diminishing returns or something.[/QUOTE]
Lol, you can always choose not to do it. It's not like this is an MMO.

[quote name='Jodou']Wait, does the sky forge buff you or something? I only recently found it because I never did companions but it didn't seem like anything special other than name.

Lol, you can always choose not to do it. It's not like this is an MMO.[/QUOTE]

I just looked it up, I guess it doesnt. I saw a vid or something that said you got some kind of smithing bonus, but looks like he was wrong.

Also, I never get why people get mad when other people do things they dont like in single player games.... It's hurting them SO much.

I am so envious of everyone being able to play Skyrim... its probably my most anticipated game, but I don't have the money for it yet. Hopefully I can save some soon.

[quote name='Aspasia']I am so envious of everyone being able to play Skyrim... its probably my most anticipated game, but I don't have the money for it yet. Hopefully I can save some soon.[/QUOTE]
Don't sweat it; by the time you can afford it they'll have finally patched it for a smooth experience (at least, they better lol). Right now it's not worth playing in its broken state.

[quote name='Jodou']Don't sweat it; by the time you can afford it they'll have finally patched it for a smooth experience (at least, they better lol). Right now it's not worth playing in its broken state.[/QUOTE]

Oh, that's why I only get the PC versions - the community will fix bugs before Bethesda will :D

bread's done
Back