SMT: Nocturne $59.99 used @gamestop.com

[quote name='phear3d']its possible that the rating for this game (M) was also to blame. isnt this the first M rated rpg to come out in the U.S.?[/QUOTE]

Did everyone forget about Parasite Eve, just because it's not OMGTEHRARZ?

[quote name='Pookymeister']Ordered 3 of these hoping to get a complete copy.
No dice - all disc only all scratched to hell. Local Store will soon have 3 copies.[/QUOTE]

That sucks. In the several orders I've placed to gamestop.com over the past few years, only one came with the case and manual. If they happen to have a rarer game for sub-ebay prices, I take the chance since I can always return to the store down the street.

Hmm, they've got one on my way to work tomorrow...maybe i'll pop in and grab it if it looks nice. I've played it to death, but it would make great trade fodder.

[quote name='Apossum']That sucks. In the several orders I've placed to gamestop.com over the past few years, only one came with the case and manual. If they happen to have a rarer game for sub-ebay prices, I take the chance since I can always return to the store down the street.[/QUOTE]

when you return the orders to local store, do they give you store credit or refund?

It isn't their fault that people jack the prices up on the secondary markets and it also isn't their fault that people PAY that much. Face it: Nocturne became popular and still is because of word of mouth. And it took time to do so, by which time, Atlas had already moved onto other games. Since stores were clearancing them out for under 10 bucks at one point, that says to me the game didn't sell well enough to warrant a reprint because the original stock did not sell.

If no one bought Nocturne for 60 bucks, Gamestop and Ebayers would drop the price. But people choose to do so and then some. What would you do if you were them? Sell a game for 30 bucks or sell it for 60 or more when either way, you're going to have a buyer? Hmm, why I do reckon, I'd maximize my profits. And if you don't, then you fail in business.

[quote name='monkeydeew']ive heard horror stories about stores not accepting returns from online, was this an isolated problem?[/QUOTE]
it happen to me, so i just went to another store

[quote name='SynGamer']I refuse to buy Atlus's games simply because they produce limited quantities in order to hype the game and boost sales. Same thing happened with Disgaea, Digital Devil Saga 1, & 2. Disgaea 2 surprisingly has stayed relatively low. I'll pick this up when they have a reprint for $39.99[/QUOTE]
Your wrong dude. They produce low numbers, because they wont sell much unlike other games ala Halo 3 and such. Why mass produce a niche game in America?

[quote name='monkeydeew']ive heard horror stories about stores not accepting returns from online, was this an isolated problem?[/QUOTE]

I'd demand to speak with a district manager, and like 62t said, just go to another store if needed.

I've had no problems returning games from online orders in the past.

[quote name='freshzen']I'd demand to speak with a district manager, and like 62t said, just go to another store if needed.

I've had no problems returning games from online orders in the past.[/quote]

can you pull the 'dont like it' on them or does the game have to be defective

To think, I use to stare at this title awhile back, figuring it wasn't worth it at $50 new w/ Soundtrack.

Now your just fortunate to even find a copy....

[quote name='monkeydeew']can you pull the 'dont like it' on them or does the game have to be defective[/quote]

In my case, im just going to say they are defective because they sure look like it.

Man, that sucks. I had bought a sealed copy back when it was 30 bucks. I was near the end with save files with all five different endings. Then some arses broke into my apt. and stole this game (along with others) my ps2 and memory card. I wish they would have left the memory card and this game at least. (And the TV) Now I'll never beat it and I'm sure they didn't know the value of it. I hope those guys suffer till the ends of their days.

[quote name='Labombadog']Your wrong dude. They produce low numbers, because they wont sell much unlike other games ala Halo 3 and such. Why mass produce a niche game in America?[/quote]

i agree with you. my bro (he works for a independent game store) told me they couldn't get games from atlus directly (instead of a distributor, cutting the middleman) because they want you to order thousands of copies of just 1 game.

[quote name='SynGamer']I refuse to buy Atlus's games simply because they produce limited quantities in order to hype the game and boost sales. Same thing happened with Disgaea, Digital Devil Saga 1, & 2. Disgaea 2 surprisingly has stayed relatively low. I'll pick this up when they have a reprint for $39.99[/quote]

Not really. Atlus USA has a very small staff. They do the initial print and ship that to stores, then give the staff their copies, then afterwards put the remainder on the site. After that, thats it. Also they wont have a reprint of Nocturne any time soon. It released far before any other Atlus RPG on PS2....and already got its reprint about a year or so ago.

Disgaea 2 is not by Atlus, thats why it had a big print rate. Nippon Ichi got their stuff together with its American division (NISA) so they published their own game instead of having Atlus publish it. Disgaea 1 was by Nippon Ichi as well, but they didnt have NISA at the time, so they let Atlus publish the game in Western regions.

Anyway im happy I found the game...no book and box though, got the soundtrack and game in decent condition. Also if anyone finds their copy missing things or too scratched, email atlus about it. They'll send you replacement stuff if possible. And if it just plain doesnt work, and its not scratched, they'll do it for free (happened to me with Digital Devil Saga 1 a few weeks ago).

There's been a lot on here about the playing or collecting aspect of Nocturne. I see it both ways. I don't think there are a lot of people out there hoarding this for value. I think most people got it to play it. I know I did (actually bought it off a dude mint w/guide for $25).
The thing is, I am glad I have it, glad I played it, but I am also glad it's valuable. Would I sell it? fuck no, unless my heroin problem got out of hand. But you know, I see it sitting there and I know it's important to people and that's cool. It's nice to have something you know a lot of people don't have, even if you aren't going to gain anything from it at all.
Of course, I am pretty sure every decent copy is in a CAG's collection. Every time I check someone's IGN list, it shows up.
Even if you do pay $60 for it, it's still worth it. It's my favorite RPG, even if I didn't completely understand it. The old man and the little boy? Who the hell are they? It was pretty vague. I got whichever ending you get when you complete the Kalpas, but it's been a while and I'm too lazy to spend an hour looking up religious symbolism in Nocturne.
Not that I have better things to do, mind you...

[quote name='Teknoman'] It released far before any other Atlus RPG on PS2....and already got its reprint about a year or so ago.[/QUOTE]

Just to clarify (for those keeping track)...

Nocturne was never reprinted. This rumor was debunked quite some time ago by Atlus themselves.

[quote name='heybtbm']Just to clarify (for those keeping track)...

Nocturne was never reprinted. This rumor was debunked quite some time ago by Atlus themselves.[/quote]

Seriously? Lol no wonder I still couldnt find any copies when that supposed "reprint" was going on. Well thanks for the clarification on that. Off to go look for a good site for video game covers...gotta print my own since gamestop doesnt seem to care about used game cases much.

yep, came disc only. but it's in great shape, so I'm going to try and order the insert, manual, and OST from Atlus.

[quote name='Apossum']yep, came disc only. but it's in great shape, so I'm going to try and order the insert, manual, and OST from Atlus.[/quote]

nice good job player!

[quote name='devildr1ver']full refund[/QUOTE]

i try to return a online order once (only) and all three stores i goes to wouldn't allow it because they said they don't know what form of payment i used.. they only allow store credit.

blablalal, so that was the last time i try to order anything online.

[quote name='nicz888']i try to return a online order once (only) and all three stores i goes to wouldn't allow it because they said they don't know what form of payment i used.. they only allow store credit.

blablalal, so that was the last time i try to order anything online.[/quote]

Packing slip on the back says it can be returned to a store. I didnt get my shipping cost refunded to me though, so im out $6. Suckness

[quote name='Apossum']yep, came disc only. but it's in great shape, so I'm going to try and order the insert, manual, and OST from Atlus.[/quote]
Wait, you can do that? I'd really like the manual and insert. I only have the disc. :cry:

You summed up the joy of collecting very nicely.

Having something thats worth money, but that you would never sell, that everyone seems to want.

But of course, you could sell it if you wanted or needed to. For example, Im not working right now, living on unemployment, which is ALOT less than I made at my job. Im looking, but if for some reason I dont find a job by time my unemployment benefits run out, its good to know I can drop some stuff on ebay and pay my rent for another few months.

Start with the Lego, then the sealed McFarlane figs, then the videogames. Hell, if I really wanted to liquidate all the crap I own, I might not need to work again for years! lol

[quote name='MrCress21']There's been a lot on here about the playing or collecting aspect of Nocturne. I see it both ways. I don't think there are a lot of people out there hoarding this for value. I think most people got it to play it. I know I did (actually bought it off a dude mint w/guide for $25).
The thing is, I am glad I have it, glad I played it, but I am also glad it's valuable. Would I sell it? fuck no, unless my heroin problem got out of hand. But you know, I see it sitting there and I know it's important to people and that's cool. It's nice to have something you know a lot of people don't have, even if you aren't going to gain anything from it at all.
Of course, I am pretty sure every decent copy is in a CAG's collection. Every time I check someone's IGN list, it shows up.
Even if you do pay $60 for it, it's still worth it. It's my favorite RPG, even if I didn't completely understand it. The old man and the little boy? Who the hell are they? It was pretty vague. I got whichever ending you get when you complete the Kalpas, but it's been a while and I'm too lazy to spend an hour looking up religious symbolism in Nocturne.
Not that I have better things to do, mind you...[/quote]

[quote name='phear3d']i agree with you. my bro (he works for a independent game store) told me they couldn't get games from atlus directly (instead of a distributor, cutting the middleman) because they want you to order thousands of copies of just 1 game.[/quote]

Your brother is full of shit.

http://www.atlus.com/shop.php

[quote name='placebo1']Your brother is full of shit.

http://www.atlus.com/shop.php[/quote]

Moderators in the forums on their site have said that Atlus does not have a large stock room - they only take on the remaining unordered stock. They don't produce games to specifically be sold on the website.

[quote name='phear3d']do you work for atlus? or are you just a fanboy? he runs a video game store. providing a link doesn't make any sense, what does that do? prove you're a moron? :fridge:[/quote]

No. No to the second one.

You said that he said games could not be bought from Atlus. The link proves that both you and he are wrong.

[quote name='xdl']Moderators in the forums on their site have said that Atlus does not have a large stock room - they only take on the remaining unordered stock. They don't produce games to specifically be sold on the website.[/quote]

I don't read their forums, thank you for that information.

[quote name='Puffa469']You summed up the joy of collecting very nicely.

Having something thats worth money, but that you would never sell, that everyone seems to want.

But of course, you could sell it if you wanted or needed to. For example, Im not working right now, living on unemployment, which is ALOT less than I made at my job. Im looking, but if for some reason I dont find a job by time my unemployment benefits run out, its good to know I can drop some stuff on ebay and pay my rent for another few months.

Start with the Lego, then the sealed McFarlane figs, then the videogames. Hell, if I really wanted to liquidate all the crap I own, I might not need to work again for years! lol[/quote]

This is the right attitude. I'm lame as hell, but I get a small boost to the ego every time I walk past my shelf and see Nocturne and Digital Devil Saga and my Legend of Zelda Collectors Disc and my sealed Persona 1 and 2 and my Brigandine...blah blah (pointless bragging).
It is nice to have that cushion under you, knowing that if times get tough, you've got an escape policy in the form of electronic media. Its not quite like money in the bank, but it's a lot more enjoyable than numbers on a balance sheet.
I want everyone to be able to play what they want, but people deserve to be rewarded if they make good purchasing decisions. It's not right to me to buy a game specifically because you think it might raise in value, but one day when Persona 3 gets like Nocturne (gonna happen, print run seems awful low, especially when it comes out w/o art book and in regular case), I deserve to be rewarded for realizing that this is A.) a great game and I'm supporting a great company and B. ) I was intelligent enough to see this, and that's why I bought 2. If it doesn't raise in value, hell i can dump it for retail probably and get it in the hands of someone who will play it.
Good gaming taste should have rewards! Therefore, I am totally anti-reprint, because people should have gotten it the first time through and the people who did shouldn't have to watch their good choices depreciate.
Of course, just knowing I could raise enough to get through a couple months doesn't mean I'd sell them. I'd be the only homeless guy with a sealed FFVII before I'd sell. It's just the knowing you have great things that helps you get through the day sometimes. It's like saying it's all been worth it (way more than a girlfriend, right?)

I saw 2 copies of Persona 3 at Sears of all place, and they usually dont even carry any RPGs. Persona 3 will probably be as rare as Digital Devil Saga 2 or Disagea 2. Also if Atlus decides to release FES only the sealed P3 will retains it value.

[quote name='Mr. Pink']I will not be crazy enough to pay $60 for a "rare" Japanese PS2 RPG game I never heard of o_O[/quote]

that is pretty much why this company prints in such low numbers (its nothing against you mrpink). japanese rpg's are still much of a niche in the u.s. that if you don't do any sort of marketing for them they'll be done for in a few months. when was the last time we saw a tv ad for an rpg game? alot of it is for casual gaming or sports titles to children titles..

it is though, sort of amazing to me that they have a production limit and that they are satisfied with it. i guess thats what happens when you don't see much of a demand for that title. its great to see this type business compared to the american way of doing business where they mass produce everything.

[quote name='MrCress21']This is the right attitude. I'm lame as hell, but I get a small boost to the ego every time I walk past my shelf and see Nocturne and Digital Devil Saga and my Legend of Zelda Collectors Disc and my sealed Persona 1 and 2 and my Brigandine...blah blah (pointless bragging).
It is nice to have that cushion under you, knowing that if times get tough, you've got an escape policy in the form of electronic media. Its not quite like money in the bank, but it's a lot more enjoyable than numbers on a balance sheet.
I want everyone to be able to play what they want, but people deserve to be rewarded if they make good purchasing decisions. It's not right to me to buy a game specifically because you think it might raise in value, but one day when Persona 3 gets like Nocturne (gonna happen, print run seems awful low, especially when it comes out w/o art book and in regular case), I deserve to be rewarded for realizing that this is A.) a great game and I'm supporting a great company and B. ) I was intelligent enough to see this, and that's why I bought 2. If it doesn't raise in value, hell i can dump it for retail probably and get it in the hands of someone who will play it.
Good gaming taste should have rewards! Therefore, I am totally anti-reprint, because people should have gotten it the first time through and the people who did shouldn't have to watch their good choices depreciate.
Of course, just knowing I could raise enough to get through a couple months doesn't mean I'd sell them. I'd be the only homeless guy with a sealed FFVII before I'd sell. It's just the knowing you have great things that helps you get through the day sometimes. It's like saying it's all been worth it (way more than a girlfriend, right?)[/QUOTE]
I agree with all this, except I have my game treasures AND a girlfriend. :)

[quote name='62t']I saw 2 copies of Persona 3 at Sears of all place, and they usually dont even carry any RPGs. Persona 3 will probably be as rare as Digital Devil Saga 2 or Disagea 2. Also if Atlus decides to release FES only the sealed P3 will retains it value.[/QUOTE]
I think you mean DDS1 and Disgaea 1. Even though Disgaea 1's value has decreased.

After reading this thread, I was tempted to buy a copy. There are anywhere from 3 - 9 copies floating around via store inventory locator. But my common sense prevailed and stopped me from shelling out ~$50 on a game, despite it's "rarity" and greatness, since I have some thousand dollars of quality games on backlog.

I was so close to jumping the gun this time.

[quote name='addicted2games']I think you mean DDS1 and Disgaea 1. Even though Disgaea 1's value has decreased.[/QUOTE]
no I mean DDS 2 and Disgaea 2, P3 seems to be everywhere and will likely will not be as rare as Nocturne or DDS 1.

[quote name='62t']no I mean DDS 2 and Disgaea 2, P3 seems to be everywhere and will likely will not be as rare as Nocturne or DDS 1.[/QUOTE]

I think it got a lower print run than those games. DDS2 was kind of doomed to sit on shelves-- only a percentage of people who played DDS1 were going to buy it and it seems like they actually printed more DDS2 than DDS1. Disgaea 2 got a large print run because of the buzz about Disgaea 1.

Well $60 dollars isn't that bad, especially considering this is an awesome game and a bunch of current gen games seem to be coming out at around that price. Lucky for me though I got this game the day it came out, and I'm glad I did, it definitely lived up to my expectations from watching the trailer on the Atlus website.

[quote name='62t']no I mean DDS 2 and Disgaea 2, P3 seems to be everywhere and will likely will not be as rare as Nocturne or DDS 1.[/QUOTE]
ahh, gotcha. I misread your post. Sorry.

[quote name='nicz888']i try to return a online order once (only) and all three stores i goes to wouldn't allow it because they said they don't know what form of payment i used.. they only allow store credit.

blablalal, so that was the last time i try to order anything online.[/QUOTE]

I ran into a much odder problem, the store was willing to take the return....... but they didn't know how. I'm dead serious, I stood there for 50 minutes while they called everyone under the sun, they finally figured it out and that was that. I have to give them credit for not just saying get the hell out

bread's done
Back