SNES Classic Discussion Thread

Thanks to whoever posted that some TRU had gotten shipments. Local store told me what other store (not stores) in the state had any. Drove over and they didn't have the count I was quoted but still had 3 left. My friends brought the 3. Had this store check within a 5 state range and they were all out.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks to whoever posted that some TRU had gotten shipments. Local store told me what other store (not stores) in the state had any. Drove over and didn't had the count I was quote but still had 3 left. My friends brought the 3. Had this store check within a 5 state range and they were all out.
Yeah I'm not super happy about that announcement. As soon as I saw I went to my local TRU. Employee said she was confused when they opened the box full of them and said the first person who saw them out on the floor bought the entire lot. I guess the 1 per guest thing doesn't matter when it's actually a highly sought after item lol

Funny how I only want this to get those SNES controllers. 

Also interested to see whether this one is going to be as easily mod-able.  Softmodding the NES Classic was super-easy and practically zero chance of bricking it.  It's very simple to add SNES, GBA, MEME, and other systems on that system.

Easiest way for Nintendo to make modding it very difficult is to put only as much data on it as it needs to hold the 21 games (with some states).  I suspect that's what they'll do.  It ensures that modding it will be essentially impossible (and pointless).

Glad folks were able to score a system. As I said earlier; If I cannot find a SNES Classic I would trade the NES for one.

Thanks to whoever posted that some TRU had gotten shipments. Local store told me what other store (not stores) in the state had any. Drove over and didn't had the count I was quote but still had 3 left. My friends brought the 3. Had this store check within a 5 state range and they were all out.

Yeah I'm not super happy about that announcement. As soon as I saw I went to my local TRU. Employee said she was confused when they opened the box full of them and said the first person who saw them out on the floor bought the entire lot. I guess the 1 per guest thing doesn't matter when it's actually a highly sought after item lol
I mean I think any average Joe blow who see that would hop on it, everyone knows their value

Not going to lie I probably would have too, as long as they let me.

Off topic, sort of, the Japan version of the nes famicom classic is only selling for a hundred dollars on playasia and eBay, it looks to be essentially the same thing as the USA version, why is it selling so much cheaper?

Off topic, sort of, the Japan version of the nes famicom classic is only selling for a hundred dollars on playasia and eBay, it looks to be essentially the same thing as the USA version, why is it selling so much cheaper?
Well, first off, everything is in Japanese. Second, I think there's less demand for it than the NES. Third, it looks a bit different from the NES Mini. It's technically called the mini famicom, There's also a few different games on the Japanese version compared to the NES.

I own the famicom and preferred it than the NES - I grew up using the famicom so it was more of nostalgia for me.

The controller is also not detachable on the Famicom Mini, so you're permanently stuck with the short cord.  If that's not a problem for you, then it's fine, though, once you hack it to make it look like an NES Mini + whatever.

The controller is also not detachable on the Famicom Mini, so you're permanently stuck with the short cord. If that's not a problem for you, then it's fine, though, once you hack it to make it look like an NES Mini + whatever.
Agree on this. Think 90s when you're stuck in front of the TV with a 2 foot controller attached to the console.

Then again our TVs were tiny back then as compared to the colossal ones we have now so I guess that saved our eyes from ruin

Attached controllers that are quite small and much less usable than those with the NES mini. In addition, as they are attached there is no way to add an extension nor wireless pad so you are stuck sitting close to the system.

Attached controllers that are quite small and much less usable than those with the NES mini. In addition, as they are attached there is no way to add an extension nor wireless pad so you are stuck sitting close to the system.
So just in case anybody else also has a japanese NES mini, or if anybody is considering buying one, there is an easy mod (that can be easily reversed) to remove the wired pads and add controller ports.

https://www.reddit.com/r/nesclassicmods/comments/5ouuve/adding_external_controller_ports_to_your_famicom/

I had a dream (nightmare?) last night that Amazon SNES preorders went live. The site was obnoxiously slow as it had heavy traffic of course. When you were typing in the search engine, it was the type of thing where it would take 10 seconds to register, and constantly backspacing and retyping was disastrous. I ended up ordering something called a 'Super Nethers'. No research has been done to see if this exists. But it was not a pleasant dream.

I had a dream (nightmare?) last night that Amazon SNES preorders went live. The site was obnoxiously slow as it had heavy traffic of course. When you were typing in the search engine, it was the type of thing where it would take 10 seconds to register, and constantly backspacing and retyping was disastrous. I ended up ordering something called a 'Super Nethers'. No research has been done to see if this exists. But it was not a pleasant dream.
Wow, you know things are bad when you start having nightmares about this stuff. :p

Not going to lie I probably would have too, as long as they let me.
I usually try to limit myself so other cags in the area can jump on it if they want to but I totally understand just going for it. Might have to do that if the SNES ever goes live.

For the current stock of NES Classic's, it's just a very late shipment to TRU that should have been sent out during the final discontinuation week. If you don't find it after this week, you're not going to... or you shouldn't be able to.

I checked one and it's just empty.  I might go up there and look at the 2nd TRU store in my area.

I am not super hungry for NES but i am willing to trade my SNES mini should that topic come up.

call the toys r us 1800 number. ask them to look up the NES mini with the UPC and they'll find u a store that has it.
I found one 55 miles away in Wayne NJ. only 1 per customer tho.

I was going to place an order on Game as a backup to my Amazon UK order, but the price was too steep for a backup order (I think it was $113 shipped). Amazon was only $87 with faster shipping.

call the toys r us 1800 number. ask them to look up the NES mini with the UPC and they'll find u a store that has it.
I found one 55 miles away in Wayne NJ. only 1 per customer tho.
I tried this, but the man couldn't find it in the system, so he wasn't able to look it up in his store inventory system. What is the UPC you used?

Can confirm Wayne nj store has 2 left after my purchase

Thanks for the tip, literally never seen one in stores before today

Can confirm Wayne nj store has 2 left after my purchase

Thanks for the tip, literally never seen one in stores before today
Uggg Wayne is too far and a PAIN to get to, otherwise I'd go get one as a gift. Come on central or south jersey, get some random deliveries!!!

Oddly enough, istocknow is saying Walmart also got some in. But Walmart....

I hate knowing people are sitting on 4+ of these to sell. I get it, but it's ridiculous that I can't find one to legit play.
This article actually touches on that with regards to the current US pre-order situation. I must say, I learned a few things and it's a great bit of journalism. Kind of surprised it hasn't been mentioned here yet but it appears FCC isn't a legitimate hold up for pre-orders.

We are.

I hate knowing people are sitting on 4+ of these to sell. I get it, but it's ridiculous that I can't find one to legit play.
Blame the people with no self control that are buying them on the aftermarket. As long as people continue to pay $200+ for them, people are going to continue buying as many as they can and then selling them because, free money.

If one guy stops selling them that doesn't change anything. Someone else will just pick up the slack. There is no idealism at play here. It's a free market.

bread's done
Back