SNES Classic Discussion Thread

Every is preordering 1 a multiple stores to be safe... this is just gonna make the problem worse and when the time comes, it's gonna be way too tempting to just return the extra copy when you can sell it for $300. 

GameStop was more than just patience, their site has been FUBAR all afternoon. Why do you think their bundles were in stock for hours? Because literally no one could check out successfully
Thank you I can't read thru the thread and figure that out on my own.

At this point, it's possible that i would trade one of my nes classics for one confirmed snes that someone has purchased & bypass all the Bullshit as I don't get how the majority of you people were able to obtain. Like the poster above, I sleep at night & go to work. i call shenanigans. if someone is really serious about my post & would like a 1:1 trade, please advise. Again, please only if you're serious & not looking to rip off anyone.

Last edited by a moderator:
Every is preordering 1 a multiple stores to be safe... this is just gonna make the problem worse and when the time comes, it's gonna be way too tempting to just return the extra copy when you can sell it for $300.
It ends up still being all about the amount of units Nintendo makes of this. If it is a significantly larger number than the NES, that just means more eBay listings, more people trying to undercut one another, and the prices in the first couple of weeks on eBay may not be THAT crazy.

Most people ordering 3 or 4 units for 'safety' are just planning on throwing them up on eBay. I have no problem with that, unlike most CAGs, I understand that's how the world works but if the produced numbers are indeed higher than NES there will be a shitload on eBay and hopefully the price won't be $300.

It ends up still being all about the amount of units Nintendo makes of this. If it is a significantly larger number than the NES, that just means more eBay listings, more people trying to undercut one another, and the prices in the first couple of weeks on eBay may not be THAT crazy.

Most people ordering 3 or 4 units for 'safety' are just planning on throwing them up on eBay. I have no problem with that, unlike most CAGs, I understand that's how the world works but if the produced numbers are indeed higher than NES there will be a shitload on eBay and hopefully the price won't be $300.
Nintendo can't win. The only way they can defeat the resellers is to produce so many that the market is completely saturated which will lead to thousand if not millions of units on store shelves being discounted, retailers hate that. So what is the best option?

At this point, it's possible that i would trade one of my nes classics for one confirmed snes that someone has purchased & bypass all the Bullshit as I don't get how the majority of you people were able to obtain. Like the poster above, I sleep at night & go to work. i call shenanigans. if someone is really serious about my post & would like a 1:1 trade, please advise. Again, please only if you're serious & not looking to rip off anyone.
Shot you a pm

Nintendo can't win. The only way they can defeat the resellers is to produce so many that the market is completely saturated which will lead to thousand if not millions of units on store shelves being discounted, retailers hate that. So what is the best option?
My post wasn't really bad mouthing Nintendo? I understand how Nintendo works and this strategy works for them - their stuff sells and they are making money - can't argue that.

I do think there is a better sweet spot they can find. They could've made a healthy amount of more NES classics and they still would've sold out, had pre-order windows of minutes and so on. The amount of people I know that still want one and never even had a chance to get it is pretty crazy. That's why I hope, and think they will, have a bit more of the SNES classics but time will tell.

I too have a brand new, unopened NES classic that I am willing to trade for a SNES classic. I'll even take one of the thinkgeek bundles.  PM if interested.

All Nintendo would have to do regarding those units sitting on store shelves is announce they were discontinuing the system effective immediately. Those units would be gone within days.

As of right now the consensus seems to be that it was a real listing. We don't have anything indicating otherwise.
Well, the concerning thing to me is they actually took down the item page (page not found in my order history). How many times has Amazon removed the page of an item and still sold it legitimately?

It's one thing to underestimate demand and trying to keep product close to the cuff to cut down on saturation & minimize cost .  It's another when it's Nintendo.  They have a proven track record of fuck ing things up, a lot of it probably on purpose.

Hell the NES classic proves that.  All they had to do was actually commit to making more.  Didn't have to be on a tremendous large scale, they could have had them just trickle out slowly over time, but consistently.  Then over time when they start to see the demand for them go down, slowly stop.  That way they could avoid over saturation, minimize their cost on a need basis and everyone who wanted one could have gotten one eventually it was just a matter of time.  But no they couldn't do that.  Better to treat their consumers like were Oliver Twist and for us to on our merry way and be grateful and what we got.

Fumbling around Target twitter mentions some people are reporting cancellations on their SNES Classic orders. I'm not sure if its from people who ordered more than 1. Has anyone had their orders canceled from Target? 

yep people act like there is a solution to their own craze. not gonna happen.

Nintendo is not going to decide to lose a bunch of money just because people like to resell.

Is it over?!? Can i start playing Uncharted?
Ha! I'm in the same boat. Still shocked I got my Target order in and then 2 random Thinkgeek emails 3 hours after I was spamming to complete order.

Yea so if I missed all of the shenanigans while I was at work is there any chance of getting a preorder anywhere now? Gamestop store maybe?

Wow just got an email from Best Buy titled "Important Update Regarding Your Super Nintendo Classic Preorder"

I nearly had a heart attack and the first sentence didn't help
"We have identified a system error"

Thankfully it was about the release date being confirmed as 9/29 instead of 8/22.

Looks like the late orders may be fine after all.

Bh photo and play Asia have not done their pre orders. You can go to tru on launch day and wait in line

Those are your options, or hope for a restock

I got the google cache version...it looks super shady. most of the advert text is different than BB, Walmart, etc. It's sold by "Nintendo Digital Downloads/Game Trust" but fulfilled by Amazon - I can sell stuff and have it fulfilled by them too. And now it's down? IDK, I think yall got screwed.
It wasn't fulfilled by amazon, it was sold by amazon.com llc

My order is still valid and no other preorders by them yet. They must be waiting for Jeff Bezos to fly his drone in and tell them what to do about it.

But didn't they also list their zelda master editions some late time like that, super sneaky like?

Is there a way to pay extra for expedited shipping? I don't see an option, but then again I'm exhausted and my eyes are giving out by now.
sorry honestly dont know this would have been my first pre order from target but i never got past entering my card info. but I noticed the dates change on the seperate attempts i did get with the item in cart.

It wasn't fulfilled by amazon, it was sold by amazon.com llc

My order is still valid and no other preorders by them yet. They must be waiting for Jeff Bezos to fly his drone in and tell them what to do about it.

But didn't they also list their zelda master editions some late time like that, super sneaky like?
Yes, they did. If I remember correctly they did it before Best Buy.

Huh, apparently one of my ThinkGeek attempts for the $170 bundle was successful as I just got a confirmation for that along with a cancellation for the $250 one.

The Amazon listing was a boner. The real Amazon listing will go up on release day between 1:30pm-2:00pm EST, just like when they put amiibos up. 

There is no way Amazon would allow ordering as many as people have. The CSRs people have talked to know nothing about item listings and cannot be trusted. They are nowhere near the actual Amazon supply chain - quite literally since it's probably outsourced halfway around the world. Just because it said stocked by Amazon doesn't mean anything.The Game Trust line should have had everyone's bullshit sensors going off like crazy (and even moreso now that the listing has been deleted). 

And so this doesn't seem like a sour grapes post, I do have a preorder from Target.

The Amazon listing was a boner. The real Amazon listing will go up on release day between 1:30pm-2:00pm EST, just like when they put amiibos up.

There is no way Amazon would allow ordering as many as people have. The CSRs people have talked to know nothing about item listings and cannot be trusted. They are nowhere near the actual Amazon supply chain - quite literally since it's probably outsourced halfway around the world. Just because it said stocked by Amazon doesn't mean anything.The Game Trust line should have had everyone's bullshit sensors going off like crazy (and even moreso now that the listing has been deleted).

And so this doesn't seem like a sour grapes post, I do have a preorder from Target.
When amazon.uk started they did the same thing and a few days later they started cancelling multiple preorders. That was the reason I got one in amazon.uk on a second wave.

Now i dunno how business is run between Americans and the British, but seems like the British is better than running it than Bezos's team.

Anyone have their Walmart orders cancelled? I saw on reddit that once again Walmart  fuck  and was not supposedly take online preorders.  That Walmart will be taking the Toysrus route i assume and not do preorders but instead you would have to lineup the day off to buy the snes mini

Anyone have their Walmart orders cancelled? I saw on reddit that once again Walmart fuck and was not supposedly take online preorders. That Walmart will be taking the Toysrus route i assume and not do preorders but instead you would have to lineup the day off to buy the snes mini
Mine was canceled almost immediately after I placed it at 1PM today when the pre-orders went live. I have a confirmation e-mail from Walmart confirming my order and that order was literally canceled like 10 seconds later. It had nothing to do with payment either, I called my credit card company and they confirmed the cancellation was on their end. That's the second time Walmart has canceled my SNES Pre-order. They really don't like me.

We all NEED to preorder multiples because I just KNOW some will get canceled. I have 3 so far, i need 3 total. But i am going to try for 1 or 2 more because im nervous that my 1 gamestop in-store and my 2 different bundles on gamestops app will not be honored due to all going to the same address. But we shall see.
No matter how things ultimately shake out, I think there's a sizable chance that the stock of SNES Classic will still fall far short of the demand. Scalpers this, multiples that...it really doesn't matter. At $79.99, the price is a steal for what you're getting (especially with the new replay/save state features), and we're going into a holiday season. EVERY person on this site meets the bare minimum of being a 'hardcore' consumer - what happens when Joe Q. Public discovers the product and how it's impossible to get?

If the NES Classic was going for 5x MSRP during a similar holiday window, as a new product direction for Nintendo (without a track record), it is certainly foreseeable that the SNES Classic will carry an after-market value at or above this relative level. The SNES games are much more robust and have aged more gracefully, and people now know that X Classic Editions are both limited and coveted.

There will be cancelled orders, there will also be additional stock (though also quite limited, if Nintendo's track record is any indication). However, the chance of walking into a store and finding one of these on a shelf, covered in dust is probably the equivalent of discovering a unicorn. It's going to be a limited (overall) supply item that will carry significant (above-MSRP) value far into the future.

*Drama Queen Moment*

Dear god! Really? Can't I catch a break?!?!?!?!? Jeez!

*End Drama Queen Moment*

Congrats to everyone who succeeded where I didn't. Cheers.

shiiiiet... BB still hasn't refunded my 3 GC's on my cancelled order from last night, Im gonna have to call in the morning which will no doubt be a fun time :(

No matter how things ultimately shake out, I think there's a sizable chance that the stock of SNES Classic will still fall far short of the demand.
I would wager hard cash that if you completely removed the reselling aspect of the demand, there would be just enough systems to fulfill the demand from those wanting to keep the damn thing.

Btw the Target add to cart button is lit up again, so if you want to try your luck, it's back.
if the "add to cart" button is there for you guys on Target, you can use this to click the button every 5 seconds:

window.setInterval(() => {
const preOrderButton = document.getElementsByClassName('sbc-add-to-cart');
if(preOrderButton[0]) {
preOrderButton[0].click()
}
}, 5000)
Chrome: Hit F12, in the bottom right "console" tab, copy and paste the code and press enter

Firefox: ctrl + shift + K, copy and paste the code and press enter (firefox makes you type something in the first time you use a code as a warning)

Also if you get one added to cart, most likely it will add a 2nd one before you even go to checkout so be sure you only have 1 (unless you're trying to buy 2)

I would wager hard cash that if you completely removed the reselling aspect of the demand, there would be just enough systems to fulfill the demand from those wanting to keep the damn thing.
Not a chance.

In this type of situation, the resellers are essentially acting as a middleman (and gaining profit by this designation). They do not increase the total supply of the product, but rather factor into its channels of distribution among consumers.

If you proposition were to be true, then the perceived value of the product would not offset the implied markup that turns into a reseller's profit. In other words, nobody would be willing to pay above MSRP and resellers would be left with the choice of keeping their investment or returning it to a standard retail channel (where it would be sold at MSRP).

Pure and simple, if the after-market value of a product greatly exceeds the MSRP, then people (in a general sense of the population) are prioritizing the reseller's cut in profit below their own desire to own/purchase the product. In other words, the demand is so greatly exceeding the supply that the difference is being manifest in profits for the reseller.

In a hypothetical world without resellers, if the demand were to directly equal the supply (as you propose), then a bolus of sales would occur initially, with a slower trickle effect over the next several weeks/months, reducing the supply to zero (with 100% sated consumer desire). EVEN with the obvious reseller markup (contributing to the perceived value), the product is selling like hotcakes.

I've been a video game collector for a long time and have been generally pretty successful in obtaining the items that I desire to purchase. Today's SNES Classic debacle stands out among the worst experiences I have encountered. I managed to secure an order through Walmart's website during the ~15-30 second window it was live. I have NEVER seen that kind of demand.

From an academic perspective, I'm very interested to see how this all pans out over the coming months. If today is any indication, I expect it will be memorable (or significant, if you prefer).

So glad I got the best buy one when it first came up last night. Wife has been in labor all day and there is now way I would have been able to get it from one of these other places. Just checked back to see all the chaos. Now hopefully get so meet me new baby soon.

So glad I got the best buy one when it first came up last night. Wife has been in labor all day and there is now way I would have been able to get it from one of these other places. Just checked back to see all the chaos. Now hopefully get so meet me new baby soon.
Cool beans - and congratulations in advance! I don't recall the specifics, but I seem to think I stumbled onto some great/rare deal when my wife was in labor with one of my three. 14 hours of contractions didn't exactly leave much opportunity for anything besides random web browsing and conversation to pass the time. Of course, once it gets exciting at the end, time goes all too quickly. :)

We all meet our new baby September 29

bread's done
Back