SNES Classic Discussion Thread

ok now i understand where you're coming from. the trucks weren't for transport, just display. were the pallets really "at least" 8 feet tall? trailers are 96" max inner height and amazon doesn't even let vendors ship product to them stacked that high for safety. i think it's like 54" max, something ridiculously over-cautious and expensive to ship. i would know, i am in charge of vendor shipping compliance for my company lol

the only thing that makes sense for all this to be real is if nintendo handled the delivery of product to the locations.
These Treasure Truck box trucks are tall and they aren't just for show. Take a look at my pics; that's the actual Treasure Truck that was parked in the grassy area of the Grove shopping mall in L.A. where the event took place.

The pallets were definitely taller than me and I'm over 6'. These aren't shipped directly from Nintendo or the distributor, but rather they had to be repackaged by Amazon staff at some point because the pallets were literally just stacks and stacks of the SNES Classics each already placed inside the "Amazon Treasure Truck" little baggies, all laid flat. I figure a VERY conservative estimate would be at least 25 per layer on a pallet (rows of 5 x 5), and at 8' tall say each SNES Classic in a bag is 4" tall (again, conservative as the SNES boxes are 3" deep). At that amount, it would 3 layers per foot x 8 = 24 layers x 25 per layer = 600 per pallet. That truck could fit at least 8 pallets easily. So that's 4800 right there. It was mentioned on some site that they would have "500-1000" per location but that number was WAY low, because I'd estimate there were at least a couple thousand left at the event all told based on what I saw inside the truck and the ones on the tables and behind the tables on the ground in that little tent, and in the hands of the staff.

These Treasure Truck box trucks are tall and they aren't just for show. Take a look at my pics; that's the actual Treasure Truck that was parked in the grassy area of the Grove shopping mall in L.A. where the event took place.

The pallets were definitely taller than me and I'm over 6'. These aren't shipped directly from Nintendo or the distributor, but rather they had to be repackaged by Amazon staff at some point because the pallets were literally just stacks and stacks of the SNES Classics each already placed inside the "Amazon Treasure Truck" little baggies, all laid flat. I figure a VERY conservative estimate would be at least 25 per layer on a pallet (rows of 5 x 5), and at 8' tall say each SNES Classic in a bag is 4" tall (again, conservative as the SNES boxes are 3" deep). At that amount, it would 3 layers per foot x 8 = 24 layers x 25 per layer = 600 per pallet. That truck could fit at least 8 pallets easily. So that's 4800 right there. It was mentioned on some site that they would have "500-1000" per location but that number was WAY low, because I'd estimate there were at least a couple thousand left at the event all told based on what I saw inside the truck and the ones on the tables and behind the tables on the ground in that little tent, and in the hands of the staff.
interesting. those trucks don't have lift gates. a good portion of the cargo box is used for display, which reduces cargo area. therefore, they can't put pallets side-by-side. i can't believe they could do 8 pallets per truck. i'm still skeptical the truck is used for anything but employee accommodations and light transport. i don't mean to come off as "WRONG WRONG WRONG," it's just that my profession encourages a real curiosity about how they're doing this.

i wanna see pics of the pallets :D

link to your pics? i can't find the post.

Last edited by a moderator:
Update for those waiting on the 3rd Amazon Debacle of 2017. (Bubble Mailers for Crushed Amiibo #1, Transgender Corrin #2).

Contacted CS again and was told that my item has been placed as top priority because i elaborated on all the anti-consumer practices that've done this year alone and they literally have not given any word to anyone about these orders.

The fact that i had my prime extended by 6 months already because of the complaints i had to put in this year is just laughable. 

(As if i would be purchasing anything from amazon other then toilet paper and diapers on prime day going forward.)

CS relayed that "my item has entered the advanced shipping process and is currently being packed for delivery and should be shipping anytime now. your package should be leaving the fulfillment center shortly."

Ofcourse not being a dumbass to fall for Amazon's BS i checked my order page ... and hey, i can still change my payment method at this time.

So they already have my package waiting to ship, but haven't charged me to see if i actually have the funds.

....Oh Amazon, You never change. 

Update for those waiting on the 3rd Amazon Debacle of 2017. (Bubble Mailers for Crushed Amiibo #1, Transgender Corrin #2).

Contacted CS again and was told that my item has been placed as top priority because i elaborated on all the anti-consumer practices that've done this year alone and they literally have not given any word to anyone about these orders.

The fact that i had my prime extended by 6 months already because of the complaints i had to put in this year is just laughable.
(As if i would be purchasing anything from amazon other then toilet paper and diapers on prime day going forward.)

CS relayed that "my item has entered the advanced shipping process and is currently being packed for delivery and should be shipping anytime now. your package should be leaving the fulfillment center shortly."

Ofcourse not being a dumbass to fall for Amazon's BS i checked my order page ... and hey, i can still change my payment method at this time.
So they already have my package waiting to ship, but haven't charged me to see if i actually have the funds.

....Oh Amazon, You never change.
Just get it from another retailer

Just get it from another retailer
I did, from BB. This second order was a Grad gift for a friend who completed their Masters.

I also already applied $60 in amazon credit i had to the order which is why i havent bothered to cancel and just ride it out.

However, They shouldn't get away with this and the more complaints they get from customers over this the better.

Maybe something will change for the future, but most likely it wont. Better than staying silent like they are with their customers.

For those of you in NYC, I just now got through the line at the Nintendo Store in a little over an hour. Looked about the same when I left.

That's pretty funny if true. I work for USPS and our morning amazon pallets are at least 6 feet high. with all the small envelopes on the bottom and the 60+ pound food boxes on top.
They just toss the shit into the gaylords, it's actually funny, I've been wanting to video tape it for a while.

I think you're pretty much spot on. When I picked mine up here in Nashville, it was in the heart of downtown just a couple blocks from my kids' high school. A student there was asking the lady handing them out if he could buy one, and she told him they were all already sold, she's just delivering them. When she scanned my QR code, I asked her how many they had on each truck and she said it depends on the city, but Nashville had a little over 4,000. I think they only have Amazon Treasure Trucks in major cities, and Nashville is probably pretty average among those or maybe even on the smaller side, so figuring 18 x 4,000 plus the multiple trucks in a couple of cities and you're getting close to 90,000 units.

You're also right that those Treasure Trucks are huge. They become part of the show, and they had some cool theming set up to go with the event. My daughter commented about the "life-sized" cutout of Link and wanted to get a photo with it, but we were in a hurry to get out of there before the red light changed (my wife was driving). Even with all the buzz and the downtown crowd, it was super-smooth picking mine up -- it felt like we were there less than 60 seconds.

I wonder if the NES classic re-release will have the rewind feature included, or come with a different set of games.
Just a guess but i think the rerelease will just have 2 controllers included for 69.99 maybe longer cords. I doubt they change anything in the software.

So, I don't know if this is relevant to the actual system, but my Amazon order for the Hori Commander controller for the SNES classic, which had no delivery date, just updated!... To a delivery date between October 25th and November 22nd. This was ordered when it was shown in stock, offered by Amazon.com too.

I was at bestbuy last night right before close to pickup my $7 dead island collection and saw a cart full of at least 20 snes classics with pickup stickers on them.  Guy said they sold out but had about 190 that day and people wrapped around the building in the morning.  Surprised that many people were able to get pickup orders placed at that store, and more surprised they didn't bother to pick them up yet.

But anecdotally it seems most scalpers and actual customers here were able to pickup multiples or even 5+ with little effort on the first day if they had a free morning. So just imagine if there really was some 1 per customer enforceable limit, 5x more people would be able to get them at msrp, but I wonder if that would cover initial demand.

interesting. those trucks don't have lift gates. a good portion of the cargo box is used for display, which reduces cargo area. therefore, they can't put pallets side-by-side. i can't believe they could do 8 pallets per truck. i'm still skeptical the truck is used for anything but employee accommodations and light transport. i don't mean to come off as "WRONG WRONG WRONG," it's just that my profession encourages a real curiosity about how they're doing this.

i wanna see pics of the pallets :D

link to your pics? i can't find the post.
Here's my post with some pics https://www.cheapassgamer.com/topic/363425-snes-classic-discussion-thread/?p=13843302

It's very hard to make out the pallets because they were wrapped in this dark black plastic wrap, but if you look inside the box truck you will FAINTLY see this jagged red "lightning bolt" shape in the darkness; that was from the lady starting to cut the black plastic open. The pallet was about half the width of the box truck interior or less, so two pallets could easily fit side by side. That tear didn't reach the top of the pallet by about a foot. Looking at the pics again, I thought the box truck was 9-10' high inside, but it's probably 8' interior height with the pallets almost reaching the ceiling. Even at 7' worth of goods on the pallet or 7' tall total including the wooden pallet (.5 foot height), it's a hell of a lot of units.

I was thinking the same thing, and only 49 viewers. Even the O F F I C I A L thread in the deals section isn't that frantic. Maybe Puerto Rico was the main source of interest back for the NES. What, too soon?
Hey that hurts. I was ready to go early and buy one on release day here in PR, but stupid Irma then Maria had to come and destroy everything. Since I live in the metro area next to main offices of cell companiesi have at least good enough cell signal, and water. Other non essential things like gaming are secondary. Hope once things stabilize I can get one to at least play in xmas. Might need to ask a friend to buy me one in the states and send it to me in a few months. I was adamant I would not miss my chance of getting a snes since I couldn't get a nes but nature is nature. Maria did a lotttt of damage here in PR, a lot of people are suffering a lot outside metro areas, many have lost everything and others have no water, food, electricity, cell signal and more; remember everyone in the island is a US ciizen and more than 350K of them are veterans. Metro is chaotic but much better than the rest of the island so I would please ask to keep bothering your gov representatives to keep helping in this devastation.

I wonder if the NES classic re-release will have the rewind feature included, or come with a different set of games.
Unless they have/want to change the games because of the third-party licensing I don't think they'll go through the work or modifying the software in any way. It is a possibility, while Square-Enix, Capcom, and Konami have games on both; Bandai-Namco and Tecmo are not on the SNES Classic. It's not exactly hard to swap out games as the modding process is piss easy, but if they want to tweak the emulator for each new game, and have to put resources into QA to make sure they run well, then that could discourage change.

I do think they'll repackage it with two controllers for $70 or $80 though.

Can anyone confirm that the Best Buy "on display at these stores" is an actual inventory checker that indicates which stores have it in stock, or that they have a demo system on display or what?

Can anyone confirm that the Best Buy "on display at these stores" is an actual inventory checker that indicates which stores have it in stock, or that they have a demo system on display or what?
Not sure but any employee should be able pull up the inventory and tell you how many are expected to be coming in on the next truck.

i apologize if this has been discussed many times. anyone here ordered the bundle from GS, returned it?

got mine but reconsidering returning the whole thing since i have the option of buying it at retail.

i apologize if this has been discussed many times. anyone here ordered the bundle from GS, returned it?

got mine but reconsidering returning the whole thing since i have the option of buying it at retail.
I mean, you can return the entire bundle no problem. They may give a stink about returning one of the items since it has be returned as a bundle.

This. All of this.

To this day, the Super Nintendo Entertainment System remains my favourite console of all time, and was released during a period when Nintendo truly were super and were firing on all cylinders. And whilst the console hardware manufacturer may have fallen out of favour in its mainstream appeal (as can be testified by the unmitigated sales flop that was the Wii U?), during the early 90’s however, the company was unquestionably a major industry player as it went head to head against arch rival Sega and its Mega Drive console.

I used to own a Mega Drive, but sold it as soon as the SNES was released in the UK in 1992. And to this day, don’t regret my decision at all – for whilst the Mega Drive had gems such as Sonic The Hedgehog, Strider, Gynoug, and Streets of Rage, and was considered as being the “cooler” console due to Sega’s genius marketing efforts, the SNES however boasted a far more enviable (and higher quality) software library. As a consequence, and to this day, the console boasts some of the greatest games to have ever appeared in the market, with a few choice classics being bundled with the Nintendo Classic Mini: SNES – a pocket-sized version of the iconic console.

Despite the SNES Mini selling out mere hours after pre-orders went live many months ago, and with many retailers placing a limit of just one console per customer, I was still able to legally procure 8 copies of the retro micro console on launch day – with each unit costing me between £70 to £80. Not a bad deal when considering that it comes bundled with 21 games, including classics such as Contra III: The Alien Wars, Final Fantasy VI, The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past, Super Mario Kart, Super Metroid, and the previously unreleased Star Fox 2. And whilst many of these games have been widely playable for many years via unofficial emulators, the SNES Mini is an official Nintendo release that represents the gaming equivalent of vinyl.

Despite Nintendo of America president, Reggie Fils-Aimé, promising that there won’t be the same supply issues that dogged last year’s Mini NES release, it’s worth noting that he also promised that fans would be able to “get their hands” on the NES Mini in time for Christmas 2016. And whilst he’s now arguing that the SNES Mini’s production has been “dramatically increased” to satisfy demand, just how much stock can one place upon his assurances when John Lewis’ website struggled to cope after the retailer announced that it would sell Nintendo’s little retro console from 8pm on 27/09/2017. Even on the the SNES Mini’s day of release, many retailers reportedly sold out of their allocated Day One stock in less than half a day, with retailers being unable to guarantee as to when future shipments would be arriving.

All of this leads one to believe that even if Reggie Fils-Aimé has strongly urged consumers “not to over-bid on an SNES Classic on any of the auction sites,” consumers are still better off buying a unit from sites such as Ebay, as they’d at least be guaranteed a SNES Mini in time for Christmas, and not have their hearts broken as a result of Nintendo’s broken promises and inept supply chain.

Demand for the SNES Mini is immense, with auction sites regularly selling units for over twice their RRP. Indeed, I was able to sell 7 consoles for nearly £140 each in less than 24 hours. And whilst some may accuse me of being a “scalper” and for opportunistically ripping off Nintendo’s “fans”, it’s worth bearing in mind that they had the exact same opportunity in being able to democratically secure a unit like I did – even if I did so using a 6 year old iPhone 4s (which I refuse to upgrade) whilst at work. Retailers were only allowing one pre-order unit per customer after all. At the same time, I don’t repeatedly let my customers down – unlike Nintendo who have helped foster and encourage resellers by failing to supply enough units to meet consumer demand. If anyone is to blame therefore, it’s Nintendo for failing to observe the business principle of “supply and demand”, despite having over 30 years of experience within the games market, and failing to put into place a supply chain that can convincingly handle stock logistics. After all, if Apple can do it with their iPhone 8, and Microsoft can do it with their XBox One X, then why can’t Nintendo do it with their SNES Mini (despite having over $4.6 billion in the bank)?

Ultimately, the buying and selling of goods is a fundamental and basic economic function, and retailers aren’t beholden to pricing dictums, and can set their own prices. And if the manufacturer and retailer were to choose to price an item that reflected its true market value and demand, then the incentive to resell on the secondary market would cease to exist. In short, and accounting for the economic principles of supply and demand, the true value of a SNES Mini isn’t £70-80 (as Reggie Fils-Aimé would attest), but is nearly twice as much at around £140, as that is how much people are prepared to pay. At the same time, the fact that I was able to sell 7 in under 24 hours proves to me that there is a lot of demand for the product, and that a lot of people are prepared to pay such an amount – despite what “fans” may think.

When I bought the SNES Mini consoles as shown in the above photo, I assumed all the inventory risk, and also abided by the basic economic principles of supply and demand. At the same time, I merely acted as an “investor” (similar to a stock market trader and homeowner) who is buying an asset in the hope that it appreciates in value. And even if some “fans” may brand me as being “immoral”, I know that I’ve done nothing illegal, and truly believe that they too could have secured a unit for £70-80 if they had expended the necessary effort and time (like I did). And considering that many important business men and managers have Personal Assistants who help with daily tasks, I believe that I too helped carry out an important function when I acted as the intermediary middleman who assumed all the inventory risk, whilst asking to only be compensated a “finders fee” (should the item have risen in value – as it did). Indeed, and by assuming all the risk, I could have been stuck with many unsold SNES Mini units if Nintendo had carried out its promise (which it clearly didn’t).

To conclude, the current MRP of £140 for the SNES Mini only holds true because Nintendo have under-supplied, and because many retailers have chosen to under-price the product relative to fan demand and market forces. It’s these twin factors that have directly led to the reseller market emerging for the SNES Mini in the first place, with me being able to sell 7 units in under 24 hours. And if Nintendo had truly cared about its “fans”, then the company would have made a concerted effort in supplying more units to retail – by which it would not only have satisfied “fan” demand, but would have ensured to have had sufficient SNES Mini units on display for impulse retail shoppers. Alas, with the “fans” refusing to believe this, whereby they continuously look towards resellers as being the fallguy, they only have themselves to blame. For they’re the ones who perpetually support a company that earnestly goes out of its way to provide incredibly poor value for money – as is the case with the under-powered and over-priced Switch, not to mention the price-gouging that occurs with its software and gaming ecosystem. And to think that even after the (seemingly) months of planning, not to mention the stock debacle that was the NES Mini, the company has still failed to satisfyingly deliver on market expectations, just goes to show how little regard the company’s management has for its fans, and how these very same fans would rather blame some unlikely scapegoat then level the problem at their favourite comapny. For if Apple can sort out stock issues regarding their new iPhone 8, and Microsoft can alleviate supply problems for their upcoming XBox One X, then why can’t a company with as much history and as many resources at its disposal as one like Nintendo?

I’m sure that Nintenards will be able to expend the necessary time and energy in performing the mental gymnastics to answer the aforementioned question… But that still won’t change the unarguable fact that I sold 7 units of the SNES Mini on an “auction site”, for nearly twice the RRP, in less than 24 hours.

Has anyone's Walmart In Store pick up order shipped yet? Placed my order on August 22nd (which is ironic, since my other Walmart order was placed on the 25th and it already shipped). Contacted Customer Service on Saturday and they are supposedly trying to locate stock to fulfill the order...

My thinkgeek order shipped today. For anyone else that got a order in. I originally ordered for a friend but he ended up getting his own console. Guess I'll be gifting this unit to another friend.

$80 is a price of convenience. If it had been $160, I would have just bought something else and pulled out my SNES.

So far, I've beaten Secret of Mana and Mega Man X. I don't remember the underwater fights in MMX being so laggy before. Almost beat Contra, but died on the last boss... I hate that boss.

Nah. That's just a store trying to hide stock not realizing that making a "shelf display" tag for something now shows as "on display" with the website. A smarter store would have just marked it as being on a Geek Squad truck that doesn't exist. ;)

$80 is a price of convenience. If it had been $160, I would have just bought something else and pulled out my SNES.

So far, I've beaten Secret of Mana and Mega Man X. I don't remember the underwater fights in MMX being so laggy before. Almost beat Contra, but died on the last boss... I hate that boss.
X always had that lag.

Anybody's GameStop online order from Midnight PST ship? Mine is still marked as open and my card still has the pending charge.

bread's done
Back