snes classic O F F I C I A L thread

Scalpers do put work into getting their supply and selling it. It doesn’t just magically appear. If you know some trick to making free money I’d love to hear about it.
Their work consists of:

sitting in their car

sitting on the pavement outside of stores

walking through other stores

listing things on eBay

That's even less effort than most government employees put in

Yeah!

Get a job, so others can profit off of your labor instead!
Correct. So they can use those profits to hire people or produce profitable goods, like the SNES Classic. They work hard to make a lot of money to do important/desirable things. Scalpers do practically no work to exploit product hype to do nothing productive with their gains.

Comparing scalpers to any standard employer-employee relationship is erroneous. A more apt comparison would be to price-gouging

Speaking of scalpers...

...they get a really bad rap around here but what about the people that pay their inflated prices? I don't respect the practice of scalping (and it's definitely not "hard work" lol, don't give me that) but at the same time if someone is dumb enough to give you their money, why shouldn't you take it, right??

I'm just being the devil's advocate there of course to point out that the problem isn't one-dimensional. If you didn't get anything you wanted because of scalpers in your area, be sure to also dole out some frustration at the people making their practice worth their while.
So perhaps those buyers on eBay should pay me if I point out to them where they can find an SNES-C for themselves at normal retail. So I give them a link to a Target.com ordering page, and they pay me $80... voila! Instant service and I make their money while they get their "toy."

Last edited by a moderator:
lmao no one is going to be returning this.
LOL, I'm sure those 9,000 EBay listings and another 40 or so on Craigslist (some with four or five to sell) that haven't moved since Friday are going to all sell out anytime now. If Nintendo comes through with a restock in the near future the value will plummet even more. Those credit card bills come due and having to drive all over the place to meet a no-show isn't worth it. Not to mention Craigslist is notorious around here for people being unreliable.

But go ahead and keep trying to buoy that resale price.

Scalpers rejoice! SNES classics sold listings on ebay show that they are holding their price thanks to all the people willing to pay double or more retail. Nicely played scalpers, you're assumption that people have more money than patience was correct.
The price range they have sold for includes sales prior to release (when many didn't realize they would be able to get one easily). There are a HUGE number of listings and while there will always be some that will bite or bid more, I'd say the real going rate since release is toward the bottom of the range.

Currently I see it at:

Market range: $97.59 - $164.01(based on 455 similar sold items in the last 90 days)

With fees and shipping that isn't quite the profit scalpers are dreaming of now given the $85 it costs with tax. Remember the SNES Classic is $20 more expensive than the NES Classic, so there is even less margin.

:( Amazon is out of stock. They said if I hadn't called in, i was scheduled to receive mine in December but they're expediting it so I get it in November. I preordered back in August.

Speaking of scalpers...

...they get a really bad rap around here but what about the people that pay their inflated prices? I don't respect the practice of scalping (and it's definitely not "hard work" lol, don't give me that) but at the same time if someone is dumb enough to give you their money, why shouldn't you take it, right??

I'm just being the devil's advocate there of course to point out that the problem isn't one-dimensional. If you didn't get anything you wanted because of scalpers in your area, be sure to also dole out some frustration at the people making their practice worth their while.
It isn't about intelligence. Some people are willing to spend extra to avoid the hassle of trying to secure one. Not to mention their work schedule or prior commitment they have.

It isn't about intelligence. Some people are willing to spend extra to avoid the hassle of trying to secure one. Not to mention their work schedule or prior commitment they have.
It's opportunity cost. I make $60 an hour. For me to stand in a line for 3 or 4 hours costs more than just paying $200 for the system. It basically comes down to how you value your time.

I personally would not pay because I enjoy making the line for Nintendo stuff. My kids and I always have a blast and meet weird nerdy people like us. It's awesome. Its also very nostalgic for me because my mom would always stand in line to buy gaming systems on release day.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

LOL, I'm sure those 9,000 EBay listings and another 40 or so on Craigslist (some with four or five to sell) that haven't moved since Friday are going to all sell out anytime now. If Nintendo comes through with a restock in the near future the value will plummet even more. Those credit card bills come due and having to drive all over the place to meet a no-show isn't worth it. Not to mention Craigslist is notorious around here for people being unreliable.

But go ahead and keep trying to buoy that resale price.

The price range they have sold for includes sales prior to release (when many didn't realize they would be able to get one easily). There are a HUGE number of listings and while there will always be some that will bite or bid more, I'd say the real going rate since release is toward the bottom of the range.

Currently I see it at:

Market range: $97.59 - $164.01(based on 455 similar sold items in the last 90 days)

With fees and shipping that isn't quite the profit scalpers are dreaming of now given the $85 it costs with tax. Remember the SNES Classic is $20 more expensive than the NES Classic, so there is even less margin.
lmao you're either low IQ or simply shilling. Price has currently stabilized at $190 and is the number one best seller on Amazon. List a copy there and watch it sell in under 10 minutes.

Not when it comes to scalping, but just my own reselling. It's easy when you're only selling 1 item when you think you can make it big quick but for most full time flippers (not scalpers), it's a lot harder.

Just some things that I have to do to get the products I want and do my job.

• Research price drops (make sure to get an item for the lowest marked price in the country or second lowest)
  • Drive to stores (sounds easy until you're driving for 8+ hours hitting up every store within 50 miles or the few times when I drive or fly to other states for amazing scores)
  • Manage accounts (that includes bank accounts, cashback programs, seller accounts, distribution contracts, shipper accounts, etc.)
  • Actually package, label and ship the item (again, sounds easy but you have to process each item to make sure it is sellable, weigh them, make sure you're not shipping against guidelines (depends on the service you use though), and make sure you're not shipping items to the wrong distribution center which happens especially when you're shipping out 100+ items each shipment)
  • Keep stock of your packing inventory (not hard but have to always have packing tape, boxes, mailers, adhesive stickers for labels, etc.)
  • Actually store your items (if you're selling 2 items who cares, but if you're constantly shipping 100+ items, you're gonna need a place to store it that isn't your bedroom).
  • Make sure to keep up with customer relations and returns
  • Dealing with returned items and processing them to be sold again or sold damaged as a loss
  • Keeping track of all your receipts and payments (for taxes and return purposes)
  • If you sell on CL and the like you have to go thru that hassle of dealing with lowballers, no shows, meeting up with people who don't understand basic directions, the usual CL like issues, etc.
It's definitely easy if you buy one item every now and again (say the SNES Classic now than N64 Classic next year) but if this is your actual job, it's a lot harder. This is a full time job for me (not scalping, just reselling) but I'm sure I'll still have people telling me to get a "real job" despite making a lot more money than I did at my previous "real jobs" and working harder selling than I did at those jobs.

lmao you're either low IQ or simply shilling. Price has currently stabilized at $190 and is the number one best seller on Amazon. List a copy there and watch it sell in under 10 minutes.
LMAO you're just a scalper that is trying to prop up a plummeting price because your dreams of getting rich aren't working out like you expected. The price I listed was copy pasted directly from EBay (in fact the text is exactly what it says if you go to list one, you can check by using the "Sell" option under a current listing), but ok. And being on Amazon's "best seller" list includes the thousands that sold on the Treasure Trucks on Friday - you realize that, right? Third party sellers are a pittance on the volume they moved on the trucks, so it isn't a testament to people being willing to pay $190 for it.

Not sure what I would be "shilling". If I were reselling, wouldn't I want them to be more rare, not less? Why would I make points to the opposite? Talk about low IQ ... logic is hard, yo.

But really, no horse in the game, I got one (and only one) on Friday with no issue. I was just stating my observations.

It's opportunity cost. I make $60 an hour. For me to stand in a line for 3 or 4 hours costs more than just paying $200 for the system. It basically comes down to how you value your time.

I personally would not pay because I enjoy making the line for Nintendo stuff. My kids and I always have a blast and meet weird nerdy people like us. It's awesome. Its also very nostalgic for me because my mom would always stand in line to buy gaming systems on release day.

Just a point, but you likely don't get paid $60 an hour for 24 hours a day. That's a flaw with a statement like that based on income, if your pay averages out to $60 24 hours a day then sure you can value your time like that, but you are really only trading $60 an hour if you sacrifice a working hour.

It's like saying that mowing the yard takes two hours, so paying someone $40 to do it saves you $80. But in reality, you would mow your yard on the weekend when you were otherwise making $0 an hour. The question is whether it is worth $40 to you to not have to deal with it.

But yeah, I enjoy those lines for new stuff, you meet neat people a lot of times (and some weird ones).

Just a point, but you likely don't get paid $60 an hour for 24 hours a day. That's a flaw with a statement like that based on income, if your pay averages out to $60 24 hours a day then sure you can value your time like that, but you are really only trading $60 an hour if you sacrifice a working hour.

It's like saying that mowing the yard takes two hours, so paying someone $40 to do it saves you $80. But in reality, you would mow your yard on the weekend when you were otherwise making $0 an hour. The question is whether it is worth $40 to you to not have to deal with it.

But yeah, I enjoy those lines for new stuff, you meet neat people a lot of times (and some weird ones).
Nope. Take a basic economics class and learn the concept of opportunity cost. My time to me is worth $60 or more. Time with family I would value as worth more than time at work. So hours outside of work are actually worth more than $60. Time is the only thing you can never get back that's why I don't criticize people that are willing to pay money for things that allow them to put that time into things that they find more worthwhile.

Well, i was able to sell mine for double after 2 hours of listing. The market is there.

When my Wal-Mart order arrives I'll do the same thing. 

Mine shipped out Thursday morning and is slated to arrive Monday afternoon via UPS.
Yeah mine is stuck at shipping today and dispatching soon. It's been like that for the past couple days. I sent an email to customer service. I hope it ships soon. I see an authorization on my card as well.

Nope. Take a basic economics class and learn the concept of opportunity cost. My time to me is worth $60 or more. Time with family I would value as worth more than time at work. So hours outside of work are actually worth more than $60. Time is the only thing you can never get back that's why I don't criticize people that are willing to pay money for things that allow them to put that time into things that they find more worthwhile.

I was explaining economics, I took it in college - and what you are saying is not taught in that class. Even without your over the top "family man" reference that is still flawed logic. If that is the case, then what about the time you take to mow the lawn? Do you consider a trip to the grocery store to be costing you "over $60 an hour"? You are apparently a gamer (as you are here and willing to pay a premium for a game console), do you consider the time spent playing a game (or do you only play multiplayer games with your family?) to be wasted time you can't get back, and if so why do you do it? A dedicated family man would not waste his time with such trivialities.

I got one on Friday, but that did not mean I did not get up, help my two sons get ready for school, see them on the bus, kiss my wife on her way to work and still get to Best Buy to get a ticket to get one with plenty of tickets still left. The idea that it was wasted "family time" is not applicable, nor is applying my rate of pay to the time spent that morning getting it for retail price.

I'm not criticizing you for choosing an easier path for extra money, although in general I do wish people wouldn't prop up scalping by doing that. I'd rather retailers take steps to strictly enforce quantity limits and limit return policies or implement "restocking fees" on hot new release items like this to discourage speculation.

Well, i was able to sell mine for double after 2 hours of listing. The market is there.

When my Wal-Mart order arrives I'll do the same thing.
No doubt there are people willing to pay a premium, particularly with people being so gun shy after last year's debacle. People overpay for resold items all the time. Particularly if you got it up early for sale. There are some 9,000 listings on EBay right now, the market is flooded. Your next one probably will not be as lucrative, as it will share the market with a ton of people trying to move it for a profit before the return period expires. Particularly with stories of how easy they were to get on Friday getting out there and if Nintendo follows through with quick restocks.

I haven't commented in like 7 years, but I signed in to do so just because of this post. I find it absurd that people who are FORTUNATE enough to have the time to line up or to have relatives/friends who are willing to do so criticize other, yes, like the other poster I'm replying to and myself, because we work and don't have close friends or family.

So, let me see, I work in IT, sometimes starting my days at 5am in daylong working sessions I can't come out of. So, should I have sent my wife, along with our 4 kids to wait in line for hours? What happens when they're hungry, or need to be changed, or get restless? Would you tolerate HOURS of dealing with 4 toddlers JUST for a SNES?

Or should I send my mother who runs a business, or my brothers who have no car or are in school? Maybe my nonexistent friends due to being an adult who works, has a house, and, again, young kids.

MY POINT IS: you aren't in a place to be saying someone else doesn't care or is too lazy, or whatever. Life doesn't align to Nintendo's stupid manufacturing decisions. We see it over and over, year after year. And, to the guy comparing the SNES Mini to the DIsney Infinity... seriously? A built in audience of us older gamers PLUS all new gamers vs. Disney Fans. Everyone needs to stop defending Nintendo. They make these stupid decisions on purpose over and over.

Come at me, bro's.
There will be no end of people like you, it seems. Having one person show up 5minutes before opening at the majority of Targets would have landed you one. Many Best Buys had them for a short time after opening too. Way to be melodramatic though.

Nintendo makes good business decisions. Forums are filled with people like you who can't separate their own situations and self-centeredness from the way things actually work in the business and retail worlds.

If getting in line along with everybody else, or else using a fantastic resource such as CAG to make one of the dozen tiny pre-order windows is too much for you, then the problem obviously isn't everyone else. It's you. But like most Americans you choose to bitch about the state of things rather than get on board with the program along with everyone else. Easier to bitch here, rather than do something. On this very resource that exists with all of the info needed in order to help you succeed. Shit dude, there were multiple Discord groups setup by members here in order to send notifications directly to your phone when classics became available to order.

Threads like this usually move at a pace 10x faster than these SNES classic threads currently are moving. Do you know why? The vast majority of people who had an ounce of foresight to plan ahead had zero problems getting one.

It doesn't matter what Nintendo does. There will never be a shortage of lunatics who complain about them.

I was explaining economics, I took it in college - and what you are saying is not taught in that class. Even without your over the top "family man" reference that is still flawed logic. If that is the case, then what about the time you take to mow the lawn? Do you consider a trip to the grocery store to be costing you "over $60 an hour"? You are apparently a gamer (as you are here and willing to pay a premium for a game console), do you consider the time spent playing a game (or do you only play multiplayer games with your family?) to be wasted time you can't get back, and if so why do you do it? A dedicated family man would not waste his time with such trivialities.

I got one on Friday, but that did not mean I did not get up, help my two sons get ready for school, see them on the bus, kiss my wife on her way to work and still get to Best Buy to get a ticket to get one with plenty of tickets still left. The idea that it was wasted "family time" is not applicable, nor is applying my rate of pay to the time spent that morning getting it for retail price.

I'm not criticizing you for choosing an easier path for extra money, although in general I do wish people wouldn't prop up scalping by doing that. I'd rather retailers take steps to strictly enforce quantity limits and limit return policies or implement "restocking fees" on hot new release items like this to discourage speculation.

No doubt there are people willing to pay a premium, particularly with people being so gun shy after last year's debacle. People overpay for resold items all the time. Particularly if you got it up early for sale. There are some 9,000 listings on EBay right now, the market is flooded. Your next one probably will not be as lucrative, as it will share the market with a ton of people trying to move it for a profit before the return period expires. Particularly with stories of how easy they were to get on Friday getting out there and if Nintendo follows through with quick restocks.
Things I choose to do on my personal time (away from family and other obligations) have to be "valued" at a minimum of two times my hourly rate of pay at my job. Basic things to get done by everyone do not count against this to me, like going to the grocery store, getting kids ready for school and so on. Mowing my yard does and that is why I have not mowed my yard once the entire time I have lived in my house and paid someone to do it.

That is just my viewpoint on it.

I could afford to pay the premium for a US version easily, but I will pass as I paid a small premium for my Euro version. Also, I had to work all day Friday and figure that I will be able to get a US version if I truly want one.

Not when it comes to scalping, but just my own reselling. It's easy when you're only selling 1 item when you think you can make it big quick but for most full time flippers (not scalpers), it's a lot harder.

Just some things that I have to do to get the products I want and do my job.

• Research price drops (make sure to get an item for the lowest marked price in the country or second lowest)
  • Drive to stores (sounds easy until you're driving for 8+ hours hitting up every store within 50 miles or the few times when I drive or fly to other states for amazing scores)
  • Manage accounts (that includes bank accounts, cashback programs, seller accounts, distribution contracts, shipper accounts, etc.)
  • Actually package, label and ship the item (again, sounds easy but you have to process each item to make sure it is sellable, weigh them, make sure you're not shipping against guidelines (depends on the service you use though), and make sure you're not shipping items to the wrong distribution center which happens especially when you're shipping out 100+ items each shipment)
  • Keep stock of your packing inventory (not hard but have to always have packing tape, boxes, mailers, adhesive stickers for labels, etc.)
  • Actually store your items (if you're selling 2 items who cares, but if you're constantly shipping 100+ items, you're gonna need a place to store it that isn't your bedroom).
  • Make sure to keep up with customer relations and returns
  • Dealing with returned items and processing them to be sold again or sold damaged as a loss
  • Keeping track of all your receipts and payments (for taxes and return purposes)
  • If you sell on CL and the like you have to go thru that hassle of dealing with lowballers, no shows, meeting up with people who don't understand basic directions, the usual CL like issues, etc.
It's definitely easy if you buy one item every now and again (say the SNES Classic now than N64 Classic next year) but if this is your actual job, it's a lot harder. This is a full time job for me (not scalping, just reselling) but I'm sure I'll still have people telling me to get a "real job" despite making a lot more money than I did at my previous "real jobs" and working harder selling than I did at those jobs.
Yeah, people who don't sell things for profit will never understand or appreciate how much aggravation, work, and time is required. Many I suppose work for the man so have no idea how hard it is to actually make a profit on anything for yourself these days. When an opportunity like the nes classic or snes classic present themselves for an easy flip to double $$$ then anyone who passes it up is pretty stupid or comes by money so easy they don't care. Having said this no I did not get in on the SNES classic (barely got a NES classic to put up for myself) because in all honesty I didn't feel like standing in line at walmart for 6 hours. I had a friend who got there at 5 but was first in line so glad he got one but he spent far more than $85 if he considers his time worth anything. I still would not be too surprised if these are not bringing $200 around Christmas unless nintendo is willing to produce about 20 million between now and then.

Yeah, people who don't sell things for profit will never understand or appreciate how much aggravation, work, and time is required. Many I suppose work for the man so have no idea how hard it is to actually make a profit on anything for yourself these days. When an opportunity like the nes classic or snes classic present themselves for an easy flip to double $$$ then anyone who passes it up is pretty stupid or comes by money so easy they don't care. Having said this no I did not get in on the SNES classic (barely got a NES classic to put up for myself) because in all honesty I didn't feel like standing in line at walmart for 6 hours. I had a friend who got there at 5 but was first in line so glad he got one but he spent far more than $85 if he considers his time worth anything. I still would not be too surprised if these are not bringing $200 around Christmas unless nintendo is willing to produce about 20 million between now and then.
I get it - so if you're not a scalper, you must be working for the man, got it. So simple.

Listen, I understand everyone comes from different backgrounds, have different jobs, and different educations - which of course, mean everyone has different opportunities.

I also understand that scalping is time consuming, and hey, not everyone can have salaried jobs or go to professional schools. We all make choices in life and, well, we all have the cards we're dealt, too.

So all of this is to say that if you're scalping to make a living and feed yourself/family, and there are people out there willing to pay the premiums, then - well - it's really no different than taking advantage of the market, which companies do all the time. After all, we do now live in a I-care-about-me-only world and an economy that does little to nothing for people struggling at or near the bottom (heck, it doesn't do muc for the lower middle class, either).

This whole forum is unfortunately turning into an ugly reflection of the aggressively tense environment we live in today where money and greed have replaced compassion and humility. Not to say the past was better (because, frankly, it wasn't). We as human beings have just failed to make much progress to respect/love each other and not take advantage of people's situations.

We now teach kids to find those weaknesses and exploit them. It's no surprise all of it has come to roost, from every political and corporate entity, top to bottom.

All the complaining here amounts to a snowflake in a blizzard, but it's a sign of worse things to come for everyone. May god help us all.

Yeah, and only because Nintendo came out and said they didn't plan to make anymore. You're forgetting that wee bit of critical information.
You're forgetting that every year Nintendo fails to keep stock (not just Nintendo but every company that has a hot holiday item during this time of year) and the only difference this time around is they made more of a limited item. But let's not forget that the Switch is still hard to find despite having similar launch numbers.

And I didn't "forget" anything. It's common knowledge what Reggie (not Nintendo as a whole via a press release) said, but they've said the same about Amiibo's (before people lost interest in them but not before not releasing previous Zelda Amiibo's), Switch's, NES Classic's, etc.

Also since your memory is fuzzy. Nintendo said that they'd produce more NES Classic's during the holiday season (Example 1) saying that they "[continue] to make more NES Classic systems available. He said the supply issues for NES Classic have been "largely addressed,". That was in January of this year implying that more are being sent out and shipments were out there. But it wasn't until it was discontinued in April that they stopped.

So no, that high price came again in April during that announcement. It was also high during Christmas when no one was able to get it. But no, continue to believe Nintendo and be fooled again. Unless you forgot what they've said in the past.

This thread,

giphy.gif

I haven't commented in like 7 years, but I signed in to do so just because of this post. I find it absurd that people who are FORTUNATE enough to have the time to line up or to have relatives/friends who are willing to do so criticize other, yes, like the other poster I'm replying to and myself, because we work and don't have close friends or family.

So, let me see, I work in IT, sometimes starting my days at 5am in daylong working sessions I can't come out of. So, should I have sent my wife, along with our 4 kids to wait in line for hours? What happens when they're hungry, or need to be changed, or get restless? Would you tolerate HOURS of dealing with 4 toddlers JUST for a SNES?
You would if you truly loved Nintendo.

Sounds like though you love your "family" more instead.

My Amazon.de order shipped.  I tried to cancel it the other day but I'm glad I was unable to.  I'm actually excited to get it now and will place it next to my US Snes classic.

You will also never get back the time you put in at work to earn the money you used to buy an SNES C. One way or another we spend that finite resource on something. Nothing wrong with that of course but it would just seem wise to minimize the amount of this limited resource we spend, and hence why I personally refuse to pay inflated prices or stand in lines.

You would if you truly loved Nintendo.

Sounds like though you love your "family" more instead.
What cold-hearted monster loves anything more than Nintendo??

You will also never get back the time you put in at work to earn the money you used to buy an SNES C. One way or another we spend that finite resource on something. Nothing wrong with that of course but it would just seem wise to minimize the amount of this limited resource we spend, and hence why I personally refuse to pay inflated prices or stand in lines.
It depends on how you look at standing in line, I actually don't mind if it isn't too long, you meet other gamers and sometimes some interesting people. But Best Buy handed out tickets early, so I was able to get a ticket, go get some breakfast, pick up a couple things at the store we needed and take my time before the store opened. I also work salary, and my boss is cool because he knows about the times I work late to solve a problem for a client - so it all evens out (and I carry my work cell in case of need), so it isn't like giving up billable hours. You will go crazy if you try to account for every hour of time versus income, just enjoy life as it comes at you and be responsible.

Bad flippers flip high demand items because, like you mentioned, it takes a lot of effort. The key to good flipping is to find low demand, highly sought after items, especially when you can flip from ebay to amazon, or vice versa (many idiots don't price around). One example, that I flipped for nearly two years, was the Witcher 3 art book from the CE. I bought loads for under $20, sold them all for over $100. Then as time went on, I was buying on ebay and selling on amazon the next week. That's all dead now though, which is why I'm mentioning it (I wouldn't invite competition). The point is, this stuff isn't worth it. Do a bit of research and you can find things to flip that take zero effort to acquire, and once you've found it, all you need to do is stay up to date every other day. Minutes. No sitting around refreshing websites, waiting in lines, driving to stores etc. Best part is, no competition either when you find an overlooked, low demand item to sell.You become the go-to seller and you set the price. Work smarter, not harder.

Maybe we all have hope from walmart.  They still have time to make oct 5 with the listed expedited shipping.  Every time I check my order status, I worry that I will accidentally hit that big "Request Cancellation" button.

Maybe we all have hope from walmart. They still have time to make oct 5 with the listed expedited shipping. Every time I check my order status, I worry that I will accidentally hit that big "Request Cancellation" button.
i was totally the same, luckily it shipped yesterday, with delivery for today

bread's done
Back