So, Limewire blows... now what?

reicaden

CAGiversary!
Feedback
10 (100%)
Serious question fellas,

i used to get my music on limewire, lately i cannot find anything on there, all the "items" that pop up for download, are like 31kb in size, and link me to websites about penis enlargement and mail order russian brides.

soooo, where do you all get your tunes from now? o_O this is CAG, after all... I dont believe for a second that all of you iTunes your music.

So where to now? i used to have demonoid too, but that, we all know, died.... where to next?

i dun have problems finding what i want for music on limewire-sometimes i'll use itunes or zune marketplace. anything non audio i run a torrent for

well, i use torrents for all non audio stuff. but audio i usually went with P2P. .... with demonoid's death, not sure where to go, isohunt is fine, but i rarely find the music i want on there. Only mainstream stuff it seems.

in terms of finding what music you want. I'll assume you're trying for individual songs. Torrents are great (Thepiratebay.org) but they're only good if you want an entire album. otherwise they suck. it really depends on your OS. Limewires has been the sucktastic for years. many years. the only reason I think it's still arund is it's cross platform nature. Personally I use Ares. which is the latest evolution of the old system i think it was bearshare at first. then Kazaa then Kazaa lite now it's ares. I remember when Gnutella was supposed to be the end all be all for P2P networking but ... quite frankly i haven't seen that happen. My current fav is Aquisition. it's simple clean does what i need it to also integrates well into iTunes which is a plus for me.

[quote name='Wolfkin']in terms of finding what music you want. I'll assume you're trying for individual songs. Torrents are great (Thepiratebay.org) but they're only good if you want an entire album. otherwise they suck. it really depends on your OS. Limewires has been the sucktastic for years. many years. the only reason I think it's still arund is it's cross platform nature. Personally I use Ares. which is the latest evolution of the old system i think it was bearshare at first. then Kazaa then Kazaa lite now it's ares. I remember when Gnutella was supposed to be the end all be all for P2P networking but ... quite frankly i haven't seen that happen. My current fav is Aquisition. it's simple clean does what i need it to also integrates well into iTunes which is a plus for me.[/QUOTE]

Dont take advice from him. First of all never use a public torrent site if youre worried about getting caught. (You wont get sued but you could get your internet service terminated). Thepiratebay is one of these sites that is bad when it comes to this. Get invited to waffles.fm, what.cd, or underrated but actually much better at the moment stmusic.org.

As for only being able to download full cds on torrents? Huh? Thats nonsense. You can select which files you want to download once the torrent is opened in your torrent client. Cd torrents are always uploaded as a folder with each track separate on the good tracker sites. Never rarred or anything. So you just pick the song and get just that if need be.

A lot of people say usenet is best. And it is good if you want to pay. Which seems kind of counter productive to me. A lot less likely to be attacked by the RIAA though. For now anyways.

Then again you can always just buy the cds used off amazon.com or something. Can find most for about $5 shipped. Just find someone reputable to purchase from to insure you dont get a scratched up cd.

[quote name='musha666']As for only being able to download full cds on torrents? Huh? Thats nonsense.[/quote]I apparantly needed to be more clear. I don't recall anyone mentioning any concern about getting cut off from your ISP. As I don't have that concern and it wasn't mentioned, it is what it is. While I fully acknowledge you CAN get individual songs from an album torrent. It's not ideal. Torrents were designed for large file downloads and that's where they work best. Not every album is uploaded in individual files. I've seen plenty of torrents of archives. It's annoying. Not just on TPB but other 'good' sites I've been a member of as well. My primary reason for not suggesting torrents to people who want single songs is you can't find old songs well seeded on torrent streams. For instance if I wanted to find "Da Rockwilder" by Method Man and Redman that wouldn't be too difficult it's probably on 50 gagillion classic hip hop 'mix' albums. If I wanted to find something like "4 Seasons" from the same album that's be darn near impossible. I exaggerate a little bit because that album is probably popular enough you could find it. I uploaded it myself a few years ago. It was still live when I checked in the fall. The same wouldn't apply to Eamon's album. You might be able to find his single but the other tracks you'd be hard pressed to locate unless you could get someone to upload the album. It's a lot easier to find a single song especially unpopular or old ones on [not BT] once again not impossible to do it on BT just easier not to.

One great source I forgot to mention because I haven't needed it in a while is DirectConnect. Back when I couldn't find anything DC had it all. Huge entrance fees (have to share XX GiB) but once you get in the right hub you can get anything of which you can think.

Ares
Acquistion
I went thru my bookmarks and there were some other problems I've used

if iSwipe is still being updated it's ok
Carracho used to be good
Drumbeat worked well in the past
Poisoned never gave problems.
there was one program people used to recommend i can't find in my bookmarks. It's had a really emo/gothy name like blacklist or nightzilla or something weird like that people said it was really good for finding hard to find songs. If you're making searching that only yield shill in limewire then I assume you're not exactly looking for the latest Britney Spears.

Rapidshare FTW.

It was $70ish for 14 months total and let me tell you...well worth it

[quote name='Rapidshare']In the last 5 days you have downloaded 4096 MB. [/quote]

Quite frankly, if you know how to properly use Google Search you won't need P2P, Usenet, or IRC unless you are looking for really obscure stuff. I listen to a lot of foreign music that isn't commerically available in the US and most I find just using Google.

[quote name='naes']waffles.fm and what.cd[/quote]
Anyone have any invitations for one or both of those website that they can pass my way? thanks.

[quote name='GuilewasNK']Quite frankly, if you know how to properly use Google Search you won't need P2P, Usenet, or IRC unless you are looking for really obscure stuff. I listen to a lot of foreign music that isn't commerically available in the US and most I find just using Google.[/quote]

I like foreign stuff myself, but I have the hardest time finding anything through Google. I don't know what I'm doing wrong. Perhaps you maybe help with some good techniques.

itunes and bleep.com.

oh wait, you guys wanna steal music in volume. gotcha ;)

Also, I don't know about your library system in your area, but our public library offers CDs you can check out for free just like books. That would be worth a shot if you are looking for more mainstream stuff. For example, our has soe stuff I like like the Doobie Brothers.

bread's done
Back