So You Think You Can Ride RPG Thread XIV's Chocobo!!!?

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote name='panzerfaust']Oh come on now, "I should really be liking Xenoblade." It's already on that high a pedestal that people who have criticisms of it feel ashamed of themselves? Expand on why you don't like the battle system, nothing is set in stone!

JRPG conversations sometimes...[/QUOTE]
It's weird but yeah, it does seem to be on a high pedestal nowadays. The fact of it being an import-only title for so long might have a lot to do with its cachet/mystique/whatever.

Agreed that there's nothing wrong with criticism, IMO. Just like how not all JRPGs are the same, not everyone has the same tastes in JRPGs. That said, I'd like to know cindersphere's problems with the battle system as well.

[quote name='default_shepard']
Also: Skyward Sword is terrible. The controls are beyond frustrating. I couldn't even make it 3 hours.[/QUOTE]

I thought they were pretty effortless and charming most of the time, a bit gimmicky at worst. People tend to get a little crazy when flailing and complain about the accuracy. Instant and understandable frustration there, I agree. I hated the vine swinging until I realized you were supposed to time it with the icon. And the combat isn't exactly award winning but it's not really the big draw either, and yet they still managed to convey the feeling that you were squaring off against something by using the motion control in a creative way.

I wouldn't have Skyward any other way, personally.

[quote name='default_shepard']"Spoony Bard" has nothing on DQ7: "He thinks I hate him? To be sure, he is an irrational, iniquitous surface dweller, with a face in desparate want of symmetry, who callously robbed my daughter of her innocence. But I don't hate him."[/QUOTE]
i think DQ7 would be better if it had a better GUI.

making all items and skills 8 letters was just stupid.

[quote name='panzerfaust']Oh come on now, "I should really be liking Xenoblade." It's already on that high a pedestal that people who have criticisms of it feel ashamed of themselves? Expand on why you don't like the battle system, nothing is set in stone!

JRPG conversations sometimes...[/QUOTE]
I didn't mean that I should like the game based on reviews, but more on the fact that I have liked every monolith soft game since the company was founded, even the DBZ game and Taisen OG.

Maybe my opinion will change the more I play the game but I really feel like the design of the battle system is needlessly obfuscating. Like giving the CPU control of the other characters in battle, and that from what I understand battle system seems to be deeper than what I can currently do with it, but I am really put of by the fact one can not affect cpu behaviors a la FF12's gambit system. I understand that the design idea for this was to make the battles quicker and burden the player less, but imo this gain is speed is not worth the loss of control over other characters. Instead it is making me either want to play ff12 for the control, or Star Ocean games for the quick and exciting battles. I don't know I guess the system is not terrible as much as it is wanting me to play other games that don't straddle between the two design choices. I think I just need to slog farther through the game until it opens up more.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='kainzero']i think DQ7 would be better if it had a better GUI.

making all items and skills 8 letters was just stupid.[/QUOTE]

How will I know I'm playing a pseudo-classic game without touches like that though? Although maybe the graphics were pushing that a little too much...
To be fair that game is actually awesome, or at least I thought so.

[quote name='kainzero']i think DQ7 would be better if it had a better GUI.

making all items and skills 8 letters was just stupid.[/QUOTE]

I don't mind the 8-letter limit, but the 3D towns and dungeons do look pretty crappy. It's a minor complaint though.

[quote name='GUNNM']Your favorite RPG?[/QUOTE]

Only true RPG I beat last year was Sweet Home. I dabbled with a few others. Just a terrible year in RPGs for me. The problem is mostly on my end. I have very little time to play games anymore so I feel the need to play something that gives me instant gratification. Something I can beat in a week or two then move on.

I barely ever touch my PSP anymore so Persona 2 has been sitting around for several months. Funny cause a few years ago I would've played it non-stop. I always wanted to play the "lost chapter" in the Persona series and now that we got it the game has been collecting dust. Same with Pier Solar. Had my copy on preorder for years with anticipation, finally get it and only played a few hours. I must have like 6 or 7 RPG in my backlog, and no desire to play any of them.

I returned to P3P after abandoning it the first time. Started a new game with the female MC, and it's a lot more fun now that I'm spreading time between all the game's elements in a more balanced fashion. ~20 hours in and I'd say it's easily one of my favorite games now, just wasn't in the mood for it earlier.

[quote name='default_shepard']I don't mind the 8-letter limit, but the 3D towns and dungeons do look pretty crappy. It's a minor complaint though.[/QUOTE]
SwordDanc pisses me off to no end! i feel like i'm playing a half finished game because of the terrible GUI + translation.

but it's actually a real full game. just in another language.

(imo the texture smoothing on the ps2 helped immensely with the crappy 3d, i could not play it at all in the default textures. i think it'd be fine if you played it on an emulator and bumped that up.)

I took a sidetrack after grabbing dragon age 1&2 in the amazon pc download sale. Liking the story so far still not a huge fan of the combat tactics setup. I do like that the good guy characters don't always tell you the most morally correct thing to do but instead go off of their doctrine which led to allistar arguing that I should kill a blood Mage in redcliff and Morrigan defending his life.

[quote name='panzerfaust']Don't use the tactics menu in Dragon Age.[/QUOTE]

Yeah but if you don't setup some basic commands it becomes a huge micro-management mess. I have them set to do some basic things while I ran around with my black dwarf dropping the power swing on people. The animation for that is awesome but it sucks that the enemy doesn't go flying after being hit from it.

Yeah... the only tactics I ever used were self-heal on mages if below a certain HP point. I much preferred micromanaging my attacks to seeing them wasted.

EDIT: Oh, and perma-shield wall on Alistair. That was an important one.

[quote name='isd71']Yeah but if you don't setup some basic commands it becomes a huge micro-management mess. I have them set to do some basic things while I ran around with my black dwarf dropping the power swing on people. The animation for that is awesome but it sucks that the enemy doesn't go flying after being hit from it.[/QUOTE]

The interface is very friendly to the pause-and-play style, it shouldn't feel like a mess. You hit 'space' and stun the guy that's giving you a hard time. It's fun!

Wow, the quests just do not stop coming in Xenoblade. Beat a cave? More quests. Complete a quest? More quests. Cross a bridge? More quests. Go for a swim? Take some quests. I feel as if I keep doing them I am going to be grossly over leveled.

[quote name='panzerfaust']Don't use the tactics menu in Dragon Age.[/QUOTE]

It is funny that Final Fantasy XII gets tactics right, but Bioware couldn't quite figure it out. Basically, yes, you are going to micromanage things. Those of us who are used to Bioware games know that it is the norm for those games.

Speaking of FF, it is funny how XIII lulls you to sleep for a while, then clobbers you right across the forehead. I just got up to the Odin ediolon, and man, does the difficulty ramp up sharply there. Basically I got my ass handed to me 6-8 times. I think I'm finally getting the pattern, but man it is a bitch keeping Hope alive...

So I have been in an RPG rut with my Xbox. I played and enjoyed Infinite Undiscovery, and DA:O. DA2 was alright, Last Remnant was decent until the disc-swap, and Lost Odyssey was great until the final disc... I don't know if I will finish LO and I will not finish LA... I just finished Magna Carta 2 however and thuroughly enjoyed it. So I want to play another RPG and I have Eternal Sonata, FFXIII, Resonance of Fate, Nier, and Tales of Vesperia before me. Any recommendations on which one to jump into next.

Also, achievements are not especially important to me, but the time investment in beating the game is, so if anyone has insight into the time it takes to finish the game that would be helpful.

That's why the PC version of DA:O is the best. You can micromanage much easier and play it like it was Baldur's Gate. I played on both PC and 360 (my PC could barely run it, and at the end of the game with lots of stuff on screen it just couldn't, so I had to play the console version to finish it, lol) and the PC experience was much better.

Also ramped up the difficulty on PC, since tactics were more feasible. Played on easy on console just to plow through what I'd already played on PC.

[quote name='The Crotch']Well...

Nier is one of the most surprisingly good things ever.[/QUOTE]

It sure is. I'm still not over that game several months after beating it. I re-bought it to get all the endings.

[quote name='Kreutz']So I have been in an RPG rut with my Xbox. I played and enjoyed Infinite Undiscovery, and DA:O. DA2 was alright, Last Remnant was decent until the disc-swap, and Lost Odyssey was great until the final disc... I don't know if I will finish LO and I will not finish LA... I just finished Magna Carta 2 however and thuroughly enjoyed it. So I want to play another RPG and I have Eternal Sonata, FFXIII, Resonance of Fate, Nier, and Tales of Vesperia before me. Any recommendations on which one to jump into next.

Also, achievements are not especially important to me, but the time investment in beating the game is, so if anyone has insight into the time it takes to finish the game that would be helpful.[/QUOTE]
How did Magna Carta 2 stack up against the original. I loved the first one for ps2.

[quote name='cindersphere']How did Magna Carta 2 stack up against the original. I loved the first one for ps2.[/QUOTE]

Game is decent. Load times are far better and if I remember right, the characters look less flamboyantly gay.

[quote name='Draekon']Game is decent. Load times are far better and if I remember right, the characters look less flamboyantly gay.[/QUOTE]
Then I may look into picking this up then. Although I really like the effeminate art style.

I did not play the original Magna Carta so I can't compare the two. But, the combat from the sequel was nothing like what the combat in the original looked like. Anyways...

So, Nier then...

Perhaps, as is often the best course of action, I will just have to do what the crotch tells me.

Before I do, however, how long does it take to beat?

EDIT - Nevermind, it looks like it is anywhere between 17 and 40 hours.

[quote name='Kreutz']I did not play the original Magna Carta so I can't compare the two. But, the combat from the sequel was nothing like what the combat in the original looked like. Anyways...

So, Nier then...

Perhaps, as is often the best course of action, I will just have to do what the crotch tells me.

EDIT - Nevermind, it looks like it is anywhere between 17 and 40 hours.[/QUOTE]

Nier is definitely worth playing - it's still only $15.99 for the PS3 version over on newegg.

[quote name='Kreutz']I did not play the original Magna Carta so I can't compare the two. But, the combat from the sequel was nothing like what the combat in the original looked like. Anyways...

So, Nier then...

EDIT - Nevermind, it looks like it is anywhere between 17 and 40 hours.[/QUOTE]
See, here's the thing. Nier was the last game made by Cavia.

Up until Nier, my stance on Cavia was this: fuck you. fuck all of you.

And they reciprocated this. They made the terribad Drakengard games. The point of those games was, "We hate you, The Crotch."

But then Nier. Good characters. Good plot. Good gameplay.

A lot of the sidequests, though? They still hate me. A lot of them are pointless wastes of time. Upgrading weapons can be nightmarish. The fucking fishing stuff Jesus.

So yeah, there's a lot of filler.

I'd put FF13 at closer to 50 for the story. Vesperia takes about 40 hours just for the story and Magna Carta 2 a little under 30 hours for total completion.

Getting in the XIII-2 spirit? I have to admit I kind of wanted to lower my CE to a standard pre-order, but I'm sticking with it. Getting tons of work out of the way before it hits, hope it's good.

If Crotch is on board the Nier train, I'ma have to get a ticket soon.

[quote name='Kreutz']Perhaps, as is often the best course of action, I will just have to do what the crotch tells me.[/QUOTE]
[quote name='panzerfaust']If Crotch is on board the Nier train, I'ma have to get a ticket soon.[/QUOTE]
When the hell did this start happening?

[quote name='The Crotch']When the hell did this start happening?[/QUOTE]
When did JRPG fans start following their crotches? I'd say, Tifa Lockhart.

I thought about getting FFXIII-2, but then I came to my senses after playing the demo.

I've got too many other better games on my plate right now. And Tales of the Abyss, Tales of Graces F and ME3 come out in a few months too.

[quote name='Ryuukishi']When did JRPG fans start following their crotches? I'd say, Tifa Lockhart.[/QUOTE]

It's still my crotch's favorite FF game ever.

[quote name='panzerfaust']you are more popular then you may realize, crotch.[/QUOTE]
My Swedish is pretty poor - that is to say, made up entirely of words I read while riding to work in a Cold War era amphibious personnel carrier made in Umeå - but something seems a little off there.

Glad I stuck with Xeno at this point. I think once you make it out of Colony 6 the game becomes beautiful enough to forget about its faults. Seriously though the forest was amazing to explore. But still, at this point the battle system is meh at best.

[quote name='The Crotch']See, here's the thing. Nier was the last game made by Cavia.

Up until Nier, my stance on Cavia was this: fuck you. fuck all of you.

And they reciprocated this. They made the terribad Drakengard games. The point of those games was, "We hate you, The Crotch."

But then Nier. Good characters. Good plot. Good gameplay.

A lot of the sidequests, though? They still hate me. A lot of them are pointless wastes of time. Upgrading weapons can be nightmarish. The fucking fishing stuff Jesus.

So yeah, there's a lot of filler.[/QUOTE]
I actually liked the first Drakengard. I'll readily admit the gameplay is kind of terrible but the characters, the story, and especially the way the story was told were excellent. Too bad the second game was a piece of crap...

The first one got a bit "Why are we doing this? Why is everyone stupid but me?" for me. I thought some of the ending shit was kinda cool, which shouldn't surprise anyone given my avatar.

And if there's one thing Drakengard 2 succeeded at, it was making the original look way better. I mean shit, the best parts of the sequel were the cutscenes where the hero from the first game was on-screen, being legitimately awesome.

Then the cutscene ends, and you're back to playing as Shia Lebouf.

[quote name='panzerfaust']crotch i can't find the crooked finger bone[/QUOTE]
You have no idea how happy that question makes me.

First off, you need the crowbar to get it. Crowbar's in one of the containers in the small room on the south side of the third story of the mortuary. Then go up here:
XoEaz.png

Equip the crowbar (if you're playing a high dex character and got a disguise, equipping a weapon will remove your disguise, but high dex characters are terrible anyway). Anyway, find the locked container and attack away.

fZ3Tl.jpg

Portal's on the wall behind Deionara's remains. A bit up and to the right, if my memory serves. You just need to have the bone charm in your inventory to use the portal.

yayuuuhhhhh~!!!!

u guys kno what happened today?!?!

the date of the Grill Cheese Invitational got announced!!

get hype!!

also;

L6nak.jpg

I got my army now!!

[quote name='The Crotch']
First off, you need the crowbar to get it.[/QUOTE]
I just realized that this bit may be false. If you pump strength on character creation, you might be able to force the container open without a crowbar. Dunno; I usually pump constitution, wisdom, and intelligence off the hop.

And a crowbar's just a handy thing to have, anyway.

Yay, having the flu for three days straight has it's uses, other than being a quick diet. Finished with Xenoblade.

Going to be starting up my first playthrough of Mass Effect 2 tonight, hope I enjoy it as much as most people have :D

[quote name='mitnosi']Going to be starting up my first playthrough of Mass Effect 2 tonight, hope I enjoy it as much as most people have :D[/QUOTE]
Don't believe anyone who says it's not the best game ever. ;)

[quote name='mitnosi']Going to be starting up my first playthrough of Mass Effect 2 tonight, hope I enjoy it as much as most people have :D[/QUOTE]

Play it, love it and love Jack and Grunt. That is all you need to do to enjoy the game :applause:

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back