SOCOM 4 from ZIPPER -Out now! Now with 100% more PSN!

So last night I downloaded the 430MB installer, the 37MB 1.032 update, and then the 1.5GB(!) content only to then have to watch the 4-bullet status screen for the next 20 minutes before giving up.

What's up with that?

I don't know if you call that a connection problem or not but whatever it is, is that common?

Server's were down. It is a beta after all. Zipper does in game updates because they listen to the community and patch things that need to be fixed. No other game on console is currently able to drastically change the game. Zipper's methods maybe annoying at first, but in the long haul, they believe that a game should be constantly evolving to the player's/community needs.

[quote name='j-cart']Server's were down. It is a beta after all. Zipper does in game updates because they listen to the community and patch things that need to be fixed. No other game on console is currently able to drastically change the game. Zipper's methods maybe annoying at first, but in the long haul, they believe that a game should be constantly evolving to the player's/community needs.[/QUOTE]

I hear ya and Kudos to Zipper. I guess they are lucky I asked here because nothing they communicated would've told me that.

Thanks! I'll try it tonight perhaps.

It seems like a majority of people are liking SOCOM, this is my first adventure into the SOCOM series I've really enjoyed the beta for the most part and looking forward to the release of the game.

Thats the official and clan thread and this one is just dead. General & Clan discussion is more than welcome. Its a place for Socom fans to unite :grouphug:

[quote name='iKilledChewbacca']I am not trying to be an asshole but after playing the beta I have no further need for the game because it was awful. I just ended up deleting it off my hard drive haha.

Graphics are decent though[/QUOTE]

I really didn't like it that much either. I want to give it another shot, but I know it won't change my mind.

[quote name='smiggity']Thats the official and clan thread and this one is just dead. General & Clan discussion is more than welcome. Its a place for Socom fans to unite :grouphug:[/QUOTE]
No, it was the Confrontation Clan thread that you turned into the SOCOM 4 Clan thread because you were beat to the punch for the official thread and threw a fit over it.

I like the maps but thats it. I give the slocom 4 beta a 2 out of 10. I know there are grenade launchers but i witnessed multiple times someone throwing a grenade across the map, like he was John Elway or something.

[quote name='Saint Noir']Destructoid gives it a 3 out of 10... :lol:

http://www.destructoid.com/review-socom-4-u-s-navy-seals-198597.phtml

EDIT - hope yet as Eurogamer showers praise with a 6/10....
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-04-12-socom-special-forces-review

Covert Oops... Joystiq 2.5/5
http://www.joystiq.com/2011/04/12/socom-4-review/[/QUOTE]

I read the destructoid review and he mentions shit I haven't seen in the two weeks I've been playing. Falling through the map? Floating bodies? Unloading into a guy to no avail? Sure there have been instances where I can't get the camera to work with me and there is noticeable lag at the beginning of the round after being dead, but those can be adjusted. All in all, I still plan to pick it up. If anything, the beta really sold me on something I wasn't interested in before hand.

I have personally had some map glitching and some emptying rounds and having the guy run off only to get a kill credit 10 seconds later. Very weird. I'm sure the experience is different for everyone, which isn't really a good thing.

Biggest knock on the game for me is that it is the same day as MK and Portal 2 and this seems like the vastly inferior product of the three (all 3 interest me, if done well).

[quote name='Eviltude']I read the destructoid review and he mentions shit I haven't seen in the two weeks I've been playing. Falling through the map? Floating bodies? Unloading into a guy to no avail? Sure there have been instances where I can't get the camera to work with me and there is noticeable lag at the beginning of the round after being dead, but those can be adjusted. All in all, I still plan to pick it up. If anything, the beta really sold me on something I wasn't interested in before hand.[/QUOTE]
That's because Jim Sterling lives in his own fantasy world and only comes back to this realms to troll people.

[quote name='Mr. 420']I like the maps but thats it. I give the slocom 4 beta a 2 out of 10. I know there are grenade launchers but i witnessed multiple times someone throwing a grenade across the map, like he was John Elway or something.[/QUOTE]

They fixed that in a recent patch. pretty much everything the reviews had a problem has been fixed (MP wise).

On top of it, they have been playing respawn MP. Play Socom in the "classic" settings. Much more enjoyable.

Spent $60 on Confrontation and put more hours into than any of my other games. Plan to put another $60 into Socom 4.

Disappointed. Was really looking forward to this. Guess I'll just have to stick to the fond memories of the SOCOM II days. Think it's time to unload the triple.

[quote name='MillerTime2523']Disappointed. Was really looking forward to this. Guess I'll just have to stick to the fond memories of the SOCOM II days. Think it's time to unload the triple.[/QUOTE]

Is this comment based solely on Joystiq's review???

I find it more interesting for the sites that haven't rushed out reviews (GameSpot, 1up, Giant Bomb).

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Eviltude']I read the destructoid review and he mentions shit I haven't seen in the two weeks I've been playing. Falling through the map? Floating bodies? Unloading into a guy to no avail? Sure there have been instances where I can't get the camera to work with me and there is noticeable lag at the beginning of the round after being dead, but those can be adjusted. All in all, I still plan to pick it up. If anything, the beta really sold me on something I wasn't interested in before hand.[/QUOTE]

watch the gametrailers review (which gave it a 7.9). it shows a grenade floating in mid air. at the end of the review, it shows a guy falling through a map, walking for 2 seconds, then dying from suicide.

There is no defending this game. It's not Socom and we all know it. However a bootleg ass Socom is still better than any other shooter, so we will all play it and hope for classic modes and features to return. Or S2 HD.

And reviews don't mean shit. Form your own opinion

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']I find it more interesting for the sites that haven't rushed out reviews (GameSpot, 1up, Giant Bomb).[/QUOTE]

Gamespot usually doesn't release there reviews until day of release, even on super popular titles (ex. Halo Reach) they are one of the last reviews out.

[quote name='Amblix']Gamespot usually doesn't release there reviews until day of release, even on super popular titles (ex. Halo Reach) they are one of the last reviews out.[/QUOTE]
I know. None of the sites that rushed their reviews out are sites I care about at all, so I'm glad that those I at least pay attention to more aren't pushing their reviews out quickly.

[quote name='8bitArtist']thats highly debatable, imo[/QUOTE]

Very debatable indeed. Socom is Crack in disc form. WoW has rehab centers because you can get rid of your addiction. There is no rehab for Socom.

The only cure for Socom is more Socom, ask an addict.

well it is, cuz its opinion. a half assed socom (which 4 has been stated as) isnt as fun as some other game i have played. shit, id rather play u2 MP than the s4 beta. bfbc2 as well. even with the overpowered shotguns. im sure that psn game brink will be much more fun to play as well. :)

[quote name='8bitArtist']well it is, cuz its opinion. a half assed socom (which 4 has been stated as) isnt as fun as some other game i have played. shit, id rather play u2 MP than the s4 beta. bfbc2 as well. even with the overpowered shotguns. im sure that psn game brink will be much more fun to play as well. :)[/QUOTE]

No doubt that U2 MP is solid and BC2 is awesome for its crazy explosions. Brink might change how an FPS is played, but none of those games are Socom.

Socom is simple (which Zipper is now realizing). No respawn tactical 3rd person squad based shooter. Nothing, NOTHING feels better than winning a 1v5 round. Double the feeling if you had to defuse/vip/breach/control as well. Triple if you did it with the g18 :D

The fans might be tough, the game might not be up to date with modern shooters, but Socom is Crack once understand how to use it. Like all drugs, you need someone to teach you how to use it, how to get the best "hits." We can show you the way, just need to venture with us.

[quote name='8bitArtist']well it is, cuz its opinion. a half assed socom (which 4 has been stated as) isnt as fun as some other game i have played. shit, id rather play u2 MP than the s4 beta. bfbc2 as well. even with the overpowered shotguns. im sure that psn game brink will be much more fun to play as well. :)[/QUOTE]

Listen to j-cart. He puts it much more eloquently than I ever could. But all the games you mentioned are respawn, so no clutch moments=not as good as Socom. No other game carries the intensity of Socom.

I played it, and it sucked. A single mode or two doesn't compre to an entire game based around no respawn. Here is an awesome post from the Socom forums that sums up a lot of what Socom is about. I did not write this;

One Lifers

03-27-2010 08:54 AM - last edited on 03-27-2011 11:51 AM
Thank you for making One Lifers the 5th most kudo'd post of 2010!

I realize I will post my personal opinion on this topic in vain but if after reading this your left reminiscing about the days of Death Trap, Enowapi and Fox Hunt to name a few, I have accomplished my goal.

When did the SOCOM community start feeling “entitled” to a quick game, and why is it that when these “Johnny come lately” gamers are forced to play an actual match of patience and strategy the post game lobby is now overwhelmingly filled with whining, complaining and verbal abuse?

Oh, that’s right; thank you “Gaylo,” and “Call of Dukie” for breeding a spoiled culture of non-strategic, run and gun respawn addicts. Regardless of the rank-up opportunity these newbs represent, I as well those that this post represents would much rather match wits with SOCOM connoisseurs.

I remember when a single war had the potential to last almost 3 hours, and we loved every minute of it as this represented the ultimate SOCOM experience.

Let me set the stage: You and your team have invested 2 ½ hours into this battle. There are 59 seconds left on the clock in the 11th round of the third map (Crossroads) and you are the last one alive. The entire outcome of this war, the totality of all the training, time, and effort invested leading up to this moment rests squarely on your shoulders and everyone is watching in anticipation.

There are 2 opponents left, they have the bomb. The final push ensues. You evade detection, the plant is executed and like Rambo you flank to pierce their defense, slay both opponents and defuse the bomb with 5 seconds remaining on the clock. The eruption that embraced you once the final round ended was euphoric, an unmatched gaming experience that put the SOCOM franchise on the map.

This is why the SOCOM vets picked up their controllers and activated their headsets night after night. This is why we would endure the lag and server boots over and over and over again. This is why we trained to master strategy in scrimmage rooms for hours per week. This is why we buckled down and worked harder to perfect our weaknesses after a loss, determined to overcome and improve.

Where we come from, those that play to respawn represent the bottom feeders of our gaming culture. Minor leaguers that make up a world of red shirts used to re-calibrate your gun game if all other attempts to correct the problem have failed. Entering this realm for retooling purposes was embarrassing and at all costs attempts to avoid it were regularly taken.

For those of you that are reading this and feel insulted by my position it is you that I am talking about. We don’t respect your play and when you experience a game of patience, strategy, and wits, know that a team of SOCOM vets has just schooled you to the way of the “One Lifers.”

This is our universe and no matter how many of your kind pour into our world attempting to place your checker pieces on our chess board, we will continue to dominate your impatience and mute your empty rhetoric until you return to where you belong, at the bottom of the food chain with the glitchers and newbs.

One system, one controller, one mic, one game, one life; SOCOM.

Come get some.

U2 no respawn game mode is Suppression in Socom. In U2 it was fun, but not having an objective makes it a camp fest. Just get up in kills and camp for a round time.

Objective based game modes is what makes Socom, Socom.

Socom is epic.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='j-cart']U2 no respawn game mode is Suppression in Socom. In U2 it was fun, but not having an objective makes it a camp fest. Just get up in kills and camp for a round time. .[/QUOTE]

oh... like socom 4. ha

If you think S4 is a camp fest you once again, have proven yourself to be one of the "Johnny come lately" types that the One Lifers post clearly points out. Honestly bro, read that post again. Its describing you Johnny come lately

When did the SOCOM community start feeling “entitled” to a quick game, and why is it that when these “Johnny come lately” gamers are forced to play an actual match of patience and strategy the post game lobby is now overwhelmingly filled with whining, complaining and verbal abuse?

Oh, that’s right; thank you “Gaylo,” and “Call of Dukie” for breeding a spoiled culture of non-strategic, run and gun respawn addicts. Regardless of the rank-up opportunity these newbs represent, I as well those that this post represents would much rather match wits with SOCOM connoisseurs.

socom 4 is a campfest. thats "not debatable"

you even said the cover system encourages camping

"-You will hear a lot of people saying that the cover system encourages camping, thats tactical shooter for you but don't be discouraged, this beta has only 2 maps and both maps have a lot of holes and there is noway all the holes can be covered.. camp if you want but unless you move your arse you will get grenaded/shot in the back or knifed.

That is because it is absolutely unequivocally true"

there is too much clutter around the maps.

You keep quoting that "One Lifers" post like it is meaningful. All I see is a bigoted remark in there WHICH YOU QUOTED YET AGAIN, so what that person has to say matters 0 in my book. Speak for yourself and don't try to enlighten others with drivel posted from others that has ridiculous remarks in it.

It seems SOCOM 4 will be the first of Sony's releases implementing something similar to the 10-dollar project of EA, though more in line with Bad Company 2 and it's VIP pass than the recent 'Online Pass' releases. From the PlayStation Blog:

We’ve been keeping a secret here at Zipper Interactive – a hush-hush special bonus that players who purchase new copies of SOCOM 4: U.S. Navy SEALs are entitled to the moment they first play the game.
We call it “SOCOM Pro,” and you’ll first see mention of it when you open a brand new copy of SOCOM 4 on the back of the instruction manual. On that SOCOM Pro call-out, you’ll find a redemption code for use on the PlayStation Network that gets you… well, it gets you a whole bunch of super-cool things, really.

SOCOM Pro shows its benefits immediately on launch day, April 19, as any player who purchases a new copy of SOCOM 4 receives exclusive access to all “Pro” Custom Game queues. Not only will these queues be ranked, but they’ll also be updated regularly over the entire lifespan of SOCOM 4 – so it’ll be the gift that keeps on giving for quite some time. Moreover, the first set of “Pro” Custom Game types will be the same fantastic rule sets that our diligent fans tested during our SOCOM 4 beta period. If you missed them in the beta, here’s what they are now:

• Community Day Classic – Suggested by members of Zipper Community Day 2011, CDC offers a medley of different maps that support 8-vs-8 “Classic” variations on Suppression, Uplink, Last Defense and Bomb Squad with faster movement and no ranged explosives of any kind
  • Last Defense Run ‘n Gun – Our incredibly fast-paced deviation from our Last Defense gametype that includes speedier player movement, reduced weapon damage, and limitations to sub-machine guns and shotguns only
  • SCRUM – A Suppression mod that offers a “Classic” rules-inspired list of features that includes no respawn, no Sniper Rifles, no Concussion, Poison Gas, or Frag Grenades, higher damage and faster character movement
  • Sniper Alley – Another 8-vs-8 variation on “Classic” Suppression that boasts higher damage values and weapon restrictions that allow players access to only Smoke and Poison Gas Grenades, Shotguns, and of course, Sniper Rifles
Another sweet incentive for SOCOM Pro players is an exclusive pair of weapons that fans have been clamoring for: The M-16 (for Spec-Ops) and the AK-47 (for the Insurgents) assault rifles! Expect to see those within the first 30 days of SOCOM 4’s release.

But these additions are just the beginning – we have plenty more planned for SOCOM Pro down the road including access to exclusive multiplayer maps, various co-op additions, dedicated leaderboards, and lots more. By the way, even if you don’t get a new copy of SOCOM 4 but find yourself playing it anyway, you can still gain access to SOCOM Pro by purchasing it from the PlayStation Store for a one-time fee of $14.99 (US) starting April 26.
We hope you enjoy the inclusion of our SOCOM Pro membership with all new copies of SOCOM 4 that will hit shelves April 19. Looking forward to seeing you reaping its rewards in game. Stay tuned to the SOCOM and PlayStation Blogs for future content updates!

[quote name='erequena']It seems SOCOM 4 will be the first of Sony's releases implementing something similar to the 10-dollar project of EA, though more in line with Bad Company 2 and it's VIP pass than the recent 'Online Pass' releases. [/QUOTE]

Seems like a cool gift to people who buy new. Hopefully they do it right and reward new buyers instead of punishing used buyers... which sounds like what they are doing.

I have to admit that I have been having fun with the Beta. It is fun, especially on a map with full teams. But I have to admit the game modes I played don't feel as intense as the last SOCOM. I know the last one got mixed reviews, but I really enjoyed it. I liked the tension, the strategy, and the team work. This feels like MAG, a better version, but MAG. I think the full game ships with classic modes, no re-spawn, or one life per match, but not sure. The only thing that got me to quit the last SOCOM was a community of fiercely competitive dudes playing. The abuse I got for getting out flanked, or missing a shot, or just plain getting wasted by another player was ridiculous. This one feels much lighter and all out Rambofication. Biggest gripe – this game has serious bullet detection issues. I score and get fragged by headshots way too often.

SO...who is buying it next week?

[quote name='smiggity']If you think S4 is a camp fest you once again, have proven yourself to be one of the "Johnny come lately" types that the One Lifers post clearly points out. Honestly bro, read that post again. Its describing you Johnny come lately

[/QUOTE]

People can make good arguments, but once they say call of dukie and gaylo it just makes the argument sound stupid no matter how good of an argument it is.

We can't change your mind about a game, we can only tell how awesome we FEEL about a game.

Get HYPED, Socom 4 tonight! Clan battles are back in true fashion. Though I am sad to not be able to say "US West 4" anymore.

[quote name='whoknows']People can make good arguments, but once they say call of dukie and gaylo it just makes the argument sound stupid no matter how good of an argument it is.[/QUOTE]

hahaha. if i called it, oh i dunno, shitcom 4, smog would tell me to grow up but he will gladly quote and someone using gaylo and call of dukie and call it the gospel.

bread's done
Back