SOCOM: Confrontation *General Discussion Thread*

Finally got the clan up and running. Just threw it together because I figured it would freeze up any second. I sent clan invites to the people on my friends list.

Name- CheapAssGamer
Tag-CAG

[quote name='smiggity']Finally got the clan up and running. Just threw it together because I figured it would freeze up any second. I sent clan invites to the people on my friends list.

Name- CheapAssGamer
Tag-CAG[/quote]

i added you as a friend (you can't request to be in a clan unless your friend is in the clan already)

well i am going to bed..pretty good first day for the beta...i still randomly get the little connection error symbol and my guy stops for a sec then everything is fine again....good game though..MUCH different than the likes of COD4...i still need to get used to the aiming and analog stick placement (i play mostly 360 games) but all in all this seems to be a pretty solid online game....

also...does anyone else think the spawns are retarded? ...i will be standing on a rooftop and 2 enemies will literally spawn right in front of me or I will be running down the street and run through someone as they spawn

The loading times have got to be in the running for longest ever so far this gen. Even longer than Heavenly Sword's

[quote name='KillaKen']The loading times have got to be in the running for longest ever so far this gen. Even longer than Heavenly Sword's[/QUOTE]

Guess you haven't played BF2 for PC.

For those already playing: How do you fire your alternate weapon? I have the M203 Grenade Launcher attached to all of my assault rifles but I have no idea how to fire it - or even select it. The M203 does not seem to show up in the Weapons Ring (when holding down "O"). I am also finding the swapping of weapons to be awkward. Sometimes it works, sometimes it does not.
It is nice to see so many people using mics (and they work - did you hear that WarHawk!) and I am sure that there will be more team work as people become familiar with the game and the roles they are comfortable with.

So what Assault Rifle do people find to be the most effective, and what options are you loading it out with?

I have also noticed that Light Armour is the way to go if you play on moving around very much. Medium Armour really slows you down - possible a good choice for a sniper (I can never find any targets and have no patience).

I enjoyed the audio in the game. Really hard to pinpoint where shots were coming from as it seems to be using the system they mentioned before. Where shots don't come straight to you but will be muffled by buildings and objects. COD4 when a shot goes off you basically know which direction it came from, here you have to pay more attention to the surroundings.

Played this morning. You guys notice if you go into a game where it's already started and you are asked to wait in the lobby.. if you go ahead and ready up it will take you to the load screen but take forever? I assume it's just waiting for the match to be over or something.. that or it actually takes that much time to load.. wow.

I am thoroughly enjoying this game so far.. headset chatting is very good and fun, I like the press to talk. I have a custom controller setting, with zoom in on L1, zoom out on DPad-down.. I like this. Run R2, Chat L2 the face buttons are same as leapfrog I think. I wish I could change reload and crouch button =/

The recoil blows though, I feel it's pretty bad.

spawnpoints kind of suck too, they're all around the same area, don't seem to change up if here are commandos camped around the area. You kind of know where to go for a battle..

As for loadouts, I find equipping an ACOG to my M4 or AK47 helps since you don't have to aim down sights for all firing so it doesn't become bothersome, available when you want it.

[quote name='Zyzomys']For those already playing: How do you fire your alternate weapon? I have the M203 Grenade Launcher attached to all of my assault rifles but I have no idea how to fire it - or even select it. The M203 does not seem to show up in the Weapons Ring (when holding down "O"). I am also finding the swapping of weapons to be awkward. Sometimes it works, sometimes it does not. [/quote]

you tap O to change fire type (single, burst, auto, etc) and to switch to the grenade launcher....when you tap it you will cycle through the fire types (shown as bullets) and then you will come to the grenade launcher which looks like this:

-----
..+
-----

as for switching weapons...hold O and choose one weapon you will use a lot and then do it again for a second weapon...after that if you press L1 you will quick change between the two

I wasn't having the same problems other people were last night....I had to try twice at the max to connect to the network and other than the load times and lag the games were fine...except the PS3 froze once after a REALLY long load time

my biggest issue was my motorola H300 headset would lose sync/whatever and i would have to delete it out of my ps3 and re-sync it and start the game over again to have it work...plus there is this random buzz/noise that occures through the headset while playing...anyone else have that?

also..i hope to god some sort of hardcore mode (a la COD4) is implemented into this game..

[quote name='Malik112099']ATTENTION - BEG FOR CODES IN THE FOLLOWING THREAD:

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=181388

THIS THREAD IS FOR SOCOM DISCUSSION - NOT BEGGING

It's annoying/getting old...[/quote]What about complaining about not getting the code yet, is that allowed here or is there a seperate thread for that too?

Should've grabbed it the day GS got them in, and not waited until September 4th to actually sign up at SOCOM.com.

So here's a dumb question, but maybe someone can help point out what I'm doing wrong.

I start up Socom and the only option available is "Custom Game" or whatever. So I go there, select a channel. I pick a channel that says it's not full but has a good number of players. It goes to a team selection screen where everyone needs to hit "start" to ready up. Not everyone realizes this and we can't get every player to ready up, so I just sit there at the pre-match screen, with random people yelling at the 2 or 3 people who are not readied up.

Is there any other way to get in the actual game? Or do I just have to be more patient. I've sat on the pre-match screen a few different times for like 10 minutes each and we can never seem to get everyone to ready up at the same time. Frustrating!

[quote name='Malik112099']I wasn't having the same problems other people were last night....I had to try twice at the max to connect to the network and other than the load times and lag the games were fine...except the PS3 froze once after a REALLY long load time

my biggest issue was my motorola H300 headset would lose sync/whatever and i would have to delete it out of my ps3 and re-sync it and start the game over again to have it work...plus there is this random buzz/noise that occures through the headset while playing...anyone else have that?

also..i hope to god some sort of hardcore mode (a la COD4) is implemented into this game..[/quote]

I think all ranked matches are NO respawn

[quote name='smiggity']I think all ranked matches are NO respawn[/QUOTE]

no...I mean more bullet damage/one shot to kill type setups..

Wow...the load times are disgustingly long.....I had enough time to post this on my iPod touch....I wish that some of these games had the option of letting a player host the game instead of a server that's getting hammered.

Anyone have info on how the game uses the mics? Some people were talking in the game and said that you can push to talk to use the raido to talk to whole team, but if you just talk you can speak to the people around your area.

Two questions:

1. Can we talk about anything feedback related about the beta? From reading the usage agreement on the screen it seems like no, and since I have a podcast, I want to make double sure I don't get sued.

2. Can anyone point me to somewhere that shows the controls for the game since it's not in the game at all? I finally figured out how to select the grenade launcher attachment on my gun, but I can't get the red dot/scope to work, set claymore's, or select handheld grenades/flashbangs.

[quote name='NamPaehc']Anyone have info on how the game uses the mics? Some people were talking in the game and said that you can push to talk to use the raido to talk to whole team, but if you just talk you can speak to the people around your area.[/quote]

Just speaking is for proximity chat, holding down L2 speaks to entire team.

Any interest in a CAG game tonight? Ive been in the same room for 2 hours now and havent had many problems.

[quote name='MSUHitman']Two questions:2. Can anyone point me to somewhere that shows the controls for the game since it's not in the game at all? I finally figured out how to select the grenade launcher attachment on my gun, but I can't get the red dot/scope to work, set claymore's, or select handheld grenades/flashbangs.[/quote]

for red dot/scope just push up on the d-pad a few times

to set claymores you have to actually look at the ground where you want to place it then the the icon will light up and you can place it

to select grenades/flashbangs hold O and then use the left analog stick to select them

for the control layout: main menu --> options --> wireless controller --> control schemes

i took a picture of each control scheme:

dsc03412ht5.jpg

dsc03407yb7.jpg

dsc03408qg7.jpg

dsc03409ws4.jpg

dsc03410rb8.jpg

dsc03411lg0.jpg

How come sometimes I get the voice chat through my headset(the way I want it) and other times I get all that lo-fi, obnoxiously loud garbled crap over my speakers? Is it related to proximity chat too?

Yeah, that's probably proximity chat from someone nearby. Just go make sure and mute the guy with the garbled audio to prevent distractions.

I won't be able to play tonight until after midnight EST, but if anyone wants to get a game going tomorrow, I should be available most of the day. Feel free to send a friend request, I'll try and add some of you when I get home.

[quote name='smiggity']Finally got the clan up and running. Just threw it together because I figured it would freeze up any second. I sent clan invites to the people on my friends list.

Name- CheapAssGamer
Tag-CAG
[/quote]

I'm gonna FR you when I get on (in a minute or two). Just got home from work, so I should be on mostly all night.

PSN is Adorada

[quote name='TimPV3']What about complaining about not getting the code yet, is that allowed here or is there a seperate thread for that too?

Should've grabbed it the day GS got them in, and not waited until September 4th to actually sign up at SOCOM.com.[/quote]
Doesn't matter when you signed up, as I signed up the second day codes were available and I'm still waiting for me code. If I get mine soon, I'll hook you up with one.

Just tried it out. Brings me back to the SOCOM II days. However, I'm not a fan of the zooming. I'd much rather have the L1 button as the zoom in button.

[quote name='v1et r1ce']Just tried it out. Brings me back to the SOCOM II days. However, I'm not a fan of the zooming. I'd much rather have the L1 button as the zoom in button.[/quote]

You can change that.. I did, I made zoom in my L1 and left zoom out on Dpad down.

I actually don't mind the loading times, a little bit longer than Socom 1/2, but it's only a beta. My problems are:

-Sniping: somehow it is a lot different than I recall. It almost seems really easy. I was sniping on crossroads (respawn) at terrorist start and sniped around 15 Seals comming at me from both sides. I was always decent at sniping in Socom 1/2, but it just felt like it was too easy.

-Gameplay being slow: might be that I haven't played Socom 2 in a while, but I don't remember it being this slow in terms of gameplay. It take a very long time (as compare to Socom 1/2) to kill someone. It could be that its a LOT more realistic, but damn.

-Silencers, it seems that with supressors on your gun shoots a whole hell of a lot further and accurate. Have never been a fan of it, but don't recall it being this good.

-Quick Select: where's the ability to open up the inventory (while in the game) and selecting it with "X" to make your quick select 1 and 2. It seems that you always have your primary and grenades as the quick select. I was the be able to quick select from primary to secondary guns.

Some others that I can't think of at the moment. Been playing since Socom 1 and it definately has evolved (as a franchise). This game is great, don't get me wrong, just isn't what Socom 1/2 was (as Slant 6 kept saying). It's as close as it gets though. Right now, I just don't see the addiction being there, as it was in Socom 1/2. Guess I will see when the game ships.

lol I guess that's why they call it a dark map. Nothing some night vision goggles couldn't help. I find the daytime map, the sun washes out a lot of color too, super bright. No happy medium here =/

hey chex - not sure if this is what you mean, but for quick select, if you hold circle (for me reload button) you can swap out your primary or secondary. so if you equip nades and swap it out for pistol you'll now be able to swap from primary gun to secondary pistol by pressing L1 (default button).

[quote name='DefinedByClass13']I just finally played a dark map, and it sure sucks.[/quote]

I played crossroads night last night and let me tell you, it's actually A LOT better than Socom 1/2 night maps. I could actually see where I was going (talking about without night vision) and could atleast kill people.

I love the night crossroads a lot better than the daytime crossroads. It's a nice change of pace.

bread's done
Back