knightbeauchamp

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection - XBOX 360
Fry's 24.99
LIMIT 1 per household
http://shop2.frys.com/product/5821023?site=sa:Homepage:Spot2

Amazon has for 27.99 for you prime holders this is best.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001G3AZS2/ref=pd_luc_sim_02_03

This is MUST HAVE in my book.
This is pretty awesome for you old school game lovers ..

details:
Take a trip back in time with over 40 titles from the SEGA Genesis era, including your Sonic The Hedgehog favorites. In classic single-player and multiplayer battles, you'll take down a huge variety of enemies, including Sonic's nemesis Dr. Eggman (AKA Dr. Robotnik), shuriken-flinging ninjas, hordes of altered beasts and the world's greatest fighting champions.

Game List Thanks to :
Slappybob

Alex Kidd in the Enchanted Castle 1
Alien Storm
Alien Syndrome (arcade) 4 [2]
Altered Beast 1 7 [3]
Beyond Oasis
Bonanza Bros. 1 5
Columns 1
Comix Zone 1
Congo Bongo (arcade) 4 [4]
Decap Attack 1
Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine 2
Dynamite Headdy
E-SWAT: City Under Siege
Ecco the Dolphin 1
Ecco: The Tides of Time 1
Fantasy Zone (arcade) 4 [5]
Fatal Labyrinth
Flicky 2 1
Gain Ground 1
Golden Axe 1
Golden Axe II 1
Golden Axe III 1
Golden Axe Warrior (Sega Master System) 4 [6]
Kid Chameleon 1
Phantasy Star (Sega Master System) 3 4[5]
Phantasy Star II 1 3
Phantasy Star III: Generations of Doom 1 3
Phantasy Star IV: The End of the Millennium 1
Ristar 1 2
Shining in the Darkness
Shining Force
Shining Force II: Ancient Sealing
Shinobi (arcade) 4 [7]
Shinobi III: Return of the Ninja Master 1
Sonic 3D Blast 2
Sonic & Knuckles 2
Sonic Spinball 2
Sonic the Hedgehog 1 2
Sonic the Hedgehog 2 1 2
Sonic the Hedgehog 3 2
Space Harrier (arcade) 4 [8]
Streets of Rage 5
Streets of Rage 2 5
Streets of Rage 3 5
Super Thunder Blade 1
Vectorman 1 6
Vectorman 2 1 6
Zaxxon (arcade) 4

Amazons list:
Games Included:

• Alex Kidd in the Enchanted Castle
  • Alien Storm
  • Altered Beast
  • Beyond Oasis
  • Bonanza Bros.
  • Columns
  • Comix Zone
  • Decap Attack starring Chuck D. Head
  • Dr. Robotnik's MBM
  • Dynamite Headdy
  • Ecco the Dolphin
  • Ecco II: The Tides of Time
  • E-SWAT
  • Fatal Labyrinth
  • Flicky
  • Gain Ground
  • Golden Axe I
  • Golden Axe II
  • Golden Axe III
  • Kid Chameleon
  • Phantasy Star II
  • Phantasy Star III: Generations of Doom
  • Phantasy Star IV: The End of the Millennium
  • Ristar
  • Shining in the Darkness
  • Shining Force
  • Shining Force 2
  • Shinobi III: Return of the Ninja Master
  • Sonic 3D Blast
  • Sonic and Knuckles
  • Sonic Spinball
  • Sonic the Hedgehog
  • Sonic the Hedgehog 2
  • Sonic the Hedgehog 3
  • Streets of Rage
  • Streets of Rage 2
  • Streets of Rage 3
  • Super Thunder Blade
  • Vectorman
  • Vectorman 2
The Achievement List thanks to: Prayformojo
http://www.gamefaqs.com/console/xbox360/code/954264.html
Here are the achievements, can't tell how hard some of these will be to earn:

1. Get Rich Alex Kidd: Collect 1,000 in currency 25 points
2. Don't Die Alien Storm: Reach Mission 3 without losing a life 25 points
3. Enter the Beast Altered Beast: Collect 100,000 pts or higher by the end of the first level 10 points
4. Holy Water The Story of Thor: Unlock the Water Spirit 20 points
5. Stealing Points Bonanza Brothers: Reach 40,000 points on the first level 20 points
6. Easy as Pie Columns: Get 20,000 points only on Easy Mode 15 points
7. Hardly a Hero Comix Zone: Complete first episode 20 points
8. Get Ahead Decap Attack: Collect 5 Bonus Coins 30 points
9. Communication is Key Ecco: Talk to another dolphin 10 points
10. Taste Like Tuna Ecco: The Tides of Time: Eat 200 fish 20 points
11. Suit up E-SWAT: Obtain the Combat Suit (Complete Mission 2) 30 points
12. Don't Get Lost Fatal Labyrinth: Progress to the fifth level of the labyrinth 30 points
13. Getting Chicks Flicky: Collect 80,000 points 25 points
14. Garden Gnomes Golden Axe: Collect 20 magic power-ups 20 points
15. Tower Up Golden Axe II: Complete Tower Level 35 points
16. Saved by Magic Golden Axe III: Use magic 10 times 20 points
17. TGIF Kid Chameleon: Collect Maniaxe 35 points
18. Twinkle Twinkle Ristar: Collect 5 Yellow Stars 30 points
19. Yatta! Dr. Robotnik's M.B.M.: Complete the game 50 points
20. True Ninja Skills Shinobi III: Complete first level without using continues 30 points
21. Complete Chaos Sonic The Hedgehog: Obtain a Chaos Emerald 30 points
22. A Different Tail Sonic The Hedgehog 3: Collect 100 rings with Tails anywhere on Angel Island Zone 35 points
23. Flicky to the Rescue Sonic 3D Flickies' Island: Rescue 20 Flickies. 15 points
24. Lots of Zeros Sonic Spinball: Get 10,000,000 points in the first level 30 points
25. Get to the Chopper Super Thunder Blade: Score over 1,500,000 points in the first level 15 points
26. Three Times a Charm Streets of Rage: Complete 1st Level using all 3 characters 20 points
27. Good Day Mate Streets of Rage 3: Unlock Roo the Kangaroo as a playable character 15 points
28. Super Charged VectorMan: Collect 500 photons 45 points
29. Can You Dig It? VectorMan 2: Reach Scene 11 45 points
30. Blast Processing Play all MEGA DRIVE™ Titles 50 points
31. Master the System Unlock Everything 50 points
32. No Life Watch Every Video 50 points
33. Critique View all Artwork 50 points
34. Only in the '80s Play all Arcade Titles 50 points

Last edited by a moderator:
Ugh, you "rich" (at least not dirt poor) kids nowadays. I had to program my own games in BASIC around that age (maybe 3, 2 sounds crazy for that). It started off just copying things from a book of "pre-made" games like Hangman and stuff, but eventually (post Kindergarten?) I made some pretty crappy ASCII based text adventures.

[quote name='Skoad']Ugh, you "rich" (at least not dirt poor) kids nowadays. I had to program my own games in BASIC around that age (maybe 3, 2 sounds crazy for that). It started off just copying things from a book of "pre-made" games like Hangman and stuff, but eventually (post Kindergarten?) I made some pretty crappy ASCII based text adventures.[/quote]

Wow, when I was a kid my family didn't even have a computer.............

[quote name='Skoad']Ugh, you "rich" (at least not dirt poor) kids nowadays. I had to program my own games in BASIC around that age (maybe 3, 2 sounds crazy for that). It started off just copying things from a book of "pre-made" games like Hangman and stuff, but eventually (post Kindergarten?) I made some pretty crappy ASCII based text adventures.[/quote]

I'll have you know I stopped being a "kid" when my parents bought me my first pony.

[quote name='jjjbadboy32']Wow, when I was a kid my family didn't even have a computer.............[/quote]
Loser.

[quote name='xwred5']FYI:

It's $27.99 at Newegg, free shipping, no NYS sales tax (damn you amazon)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16874163035[/quote] Thanks for that, thats probally were I will get it. I think its funny so many people didnt know about this game. I was going to get it before I knew about the achievements. Wish I didnt pay $10 for Sonic 1 & 2 on XBLA but still worth it for all them games. Looks like I may sell my old Genesis now.....

[quote name='"Some stupid news site"']Before launching into a game, you can opt to view the list through a variety of filters, along with rating each game and organizing it by favorites. Hopping in and out of games is a breeze as the load times are nearly instantaneous (as they should be) and each game's controls and video options can be tweaked to your liking. Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection will also let you create three save states per game, meaning short sessions are entirely possible on games that originally offered no solace for bite-size chunks.[/quote]
Some cool options, makes me kinda hopeful that they include a link option for Sonic 3 & Knuckles (and maybe Knuckles 2), it'd make sense, but then again this is SEGA and they don't do things that always make sense. I'm going to wait on this one too.

[quote name='Dr. Pizza']Anyone know if you get achievements from the games that are on Xbox Live Arcade?[/quote]
the ones that are 800 points and are "classics" you don't get any achievements for them. I downloaded 2 and was pissed when I figured out they hadnt added that to them.

[quote name='Skoad']Some cool options, makes me kinda hopeful that they include a link option for Sonic 3 & Knuckles (and maybe Knuckles 2), it'd make sense, but then again this is SEGA and they don't do things that always make sense. I'm going to wait on this one too.[/quote]

It has been confirmed that lock-on technology is NOT in this game.

All I want is for Tommy Lasorda Baseball to be released in one of these compilations (or at least downloadable) and I'd be a happy, happy man. Why is this so difficult? It didn't have licensed teams or players -- somebody should be able to make this happen!

[quote name='ejsteeler']All I want is for Tommy Lasorda Baseball to be released in one of these compilations (or at least downloadable) and I'd be a happy, happy man. Why is this so difficult? It didn't have licensed teams or players -- somebody should be able to make this happen![/quote]

Probably because the powers that be no longer have the rights/license to his image and name at this point.

Why, what was so special about that game?

[quote name='knightbeauchamp']the ones that are 800 points and are "classics" you don't get any achievements for them. I downloaded 2 and was pissed when I figured out they hadnt added that to them.[/QUOTE]

800? huh?

i have 200 achievement points in sonic 1, sonic 2, streets of rage 2 and golden axe. they're 400 mspoint games.

Yeah, I have 500 Achievement Points in total from Sonic 1, Sonic 2, Golden Axe and Streets of Rage 2 all together. I dunno where you got the idea that there were no Achievements. Hell, I don't think there's ever any arcade games that don't have achievements.

Btw, topic title says the game is $24.99 at Fry's, but the link provided shows it at $29.99. Am I missing something here?

Is this available today or just shipping? I always hate that with video game release dates.

Nevermind... I see conflicting dates everywhere anyway.

[quote name='karkyco']Why, what was so special about that game?[/quote]

I was thinking the samething before I thought to myself to each their own.

For example, I can't understand for the life of me why the hell these two games haven't been released on LIVE or in one of these Compilations.

STAR CONTROL 2

STAR FLIGHT

Those are 2 badass space exploration/action/rpg games that back in the day would take Oblivion type hours to get through as you explore space along with the main story.

Awesome games and yet no new console iterations. (other than the original console iterations of 3DO for SC2 and Genesis for SF)

I was bordering on getting this but the exclusion of Knuckles "Lock-on" play finally pushed me away. How can this be the "Sonic's ultimate" Genesis collection when stuff that was on the Saturn compilation Sonic Jam twelve years ago is excluded?

I'm also not a huge fan of most Genesis ports of Sega arcade games. A Sega arcade compilation would be more interesting. As far as Sega console collections, a Genesis collection was released two years ago. Any other Sega system collection would be more appealing to me right now.

What games are on here that weren't on the sega genesis collections? I'd like to know, because if its enough I may pick this up

[quote name='Gden']What games are on here that weren't on the sega genesis collections? I'd like to know, because if its enough I may pick this up[/quote]

All that I can really think of is the Streets of Rage series...

Other than that I think its all pretty much the same. (not 100% sure though I'd have to see the list again)

[quote name='IronsideGrunt']I was thinking the samething before I thought to myself to each their own.

For example, I can't understand for the life of me why the hell these two games haven't been released on LIVE or in one of these Compilations.

STAR CONTROL 2

STAR FLIGHT

Those are 2 badass space exploration/action/rpg games that back in the day would take Oblivion type hours to get through as you explore space along with the main story.

Awesome games and yet no new console iterations. (other than the original console iterations of 3DO for SC2 and Genesis for SF)[/QUOTE]

Starflight was great. That's an EA game, so who knows if we'll ever see it again.

[quote name='Gden']What games are on here that weren't on the sega genesis collections? I'd like to know, because if its enough I may pick this up[/quote]
This is everything that was NOT available on SEGA Genesis Collection for the PS2:

Alien Storm
Alien Syndrome (Arcade)
Beyond Oasis
Congo Bongo (originally only on the PSP version of SGC)
Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine
Dynamite Headdy
ESWAT: City Under Siege
Fantasy Zone (Arcade)
Fatal Labyrinth
Golden Axe Warrior
Phantasy Star
Shining in the Darkness
Shining Force
Shining Force II: Ancient Sealing
Shinobi (Arcade)
Sonic 3D Blast
Sonic & Knuckles
Sonic Spinball
Sonic the Hedgehog 3
Space Harrier (Arcade)
Streets of Rage
Streets of Rage 2
Streets of Rage 3

Can't wait till it arrives. Getting achievement points for playing these classics = good times getting over my flu

[quote name='Plinko']It has been confirmed that lock-on technology is NOT in this game.[/QUOTE]

Are you shitting me?

Am I the only one baffled by everyone focusing primarily on the lack of lock-on when the compilation is $30 for more than 40 games?

Seriously. You guys are acting like as if you bought Virtual Console versions of Sonic 3 and Sonic & Knuckles and thought lock-on would be available. Would it have been better? Sure. But it's not the biggest injustice in the world. You're getting a compilation that has ALL FOUR Phantasy Stars, two Shining Forces, all three Streets of Rages, both Vectorman games, all three Golden Axe games, Ristar, Dynamite Heady and the best Shinobi games, with PLENTY more to offer, all for $30.

You wanna talk about being jibbed? Think about the Americans who didn't get the Streets of Rage games in Sonic Gems Collection thanks to the ESRB. Or how ToeJam & Earl and its sequel were left out in the previous collection due to SEGA not giving a damn about them anymore. Hell, think about the people who bought Shenmue and Shenmue II. WE WILL NEVER GET OUR ENDING!

[quote name='Tsukento']Am I the only one baffled by everyone focusing primarily on the lack of lock-on when the compilation is $30 for more than 40 games?[/quote]

Yes. Lock-on should be there.

Seriously. You guys are acting like as if you bought Virtual Console versions of Sonic 3 and Sonic & Knuckles and thought lock-on would be available. Would it have been better? Sure. But it's not the biggest injustice in the world. You're getting a compilation that has ALL FOUR Phantasy Stars, two Shining Forces, all three Streets of Rages, both Vectorman games, all three Golden Axe games, Ristar, Dynamite Heady and the best Shinobi games, with PLENTY more to offer, all for $30.

By that logic, you should be ecstatic when you open the case to your Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection and find locusts inside.

I'd be better off buying a laptop, one of those crappy VGA-to-composite adapters, a wireless controller (or a really long USB extension cable), and playing ROMs on my TV. At least that way the games would get more care than they would under SEGA's hands and the company they outsourced this compilation to. Until then, I'll just continue playing my Genesis carts.

Sonic games are probably the ones I'll play the least.
Save for Sonic Spinball.
Don't know why I love that one.

From people who have it, they say the menus and overall UI is really nice and slick.

[quote name='Chuplayer']Are you shitting me?[/quote]

No--the fact that there is no lock-on technology was confirmed by a developer on Sega's website.

DeCap Attack is a seriously underrated game, I wish Jewel Master was on the disc, just for the great soundtrack alone.

They should have put dreamcast games in this collection! WTF, where are the dreamcast games!
On Wii.

This is the Genesis collection.
And I doubt we'll see a true Dreamcast collection this generation.

Damn kids today and not knowing anything about the 90s.

Anyways, Sonic & Knuckles had a port on the top of it for other genesis games to fit onto, if you put on Sonic 3, it combined the 2 to create the original game it was intended to be.

Sonic 2 on S&K let you play as Knuckles in Sonic 2

Sonic 1 or any other game iirc was Blue Sphere, where it was multiple special stages, all new, and that's all it was, no idea how many different versions there were but it was pretty fun.

That was lock-on. Yeah, when I was a toddler I loved that. I would always put Ristar on top and be confused with the result.

This is really sick, and I had no idea about this either. Sure I could play all these games on an emu on my computer, but being able to play them on a TV with legit controllers and not have to go through any hassle is easily worth $50+. The only thing I'm not sure about is if this is going to be a bargain bin game in a couple months, or impossible to find and worth $80+.

[quote name='r00tabeggas']They should have put dreamcast games in this collection! WTF, where are the dreamcast games![/quote]
ChuChu Rocket! - Game Boy Advance
Crazy Taxi - GameCube and PlayStation 2
Dead or Alive 2 - PlayStation 2 and Xbox
Ecco the Dolphin - PlayStation 2
Evolution - GameCube
Evolution 2 - GameCube
Grandia II - PlayStation 2
House of the Dead 2 - Wii
Ikaruga - GameCube and Xbox Live Arcade
Marvel vs. Capcom 2 - PlayStation 2 and Xbox
Phantasy Star Online - GameCube and Xbox
Power Stone - PSP
Power Stone 2 - PSP
Samba de Amigo - Wii
Samba de Amigo Ver. 2000 - Wii
Shenmue II - Xbox
Skies of Arcadia - GameCube
Sonic Adventure - GameCube
Sonic Adventure 2 - GameCube
Soul Calibur - Xbox Live Arcade
Space Channel 5 - PlayStation 2
Street Fighter III - PlayStation 2

As you can see, they're on several systems and handhelds.

[quote name='Chuplayer']By that logic, you should be ecstatic when you open the case to your Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection and find locusts inside.

I'd be better off buying a laptop, one of those crappy VGA-to-composite adapters, a wireless controller (or a really long USB extension cable), and playing ROMs on my TV. At least that way the games would get more care than they would under SEGA's hands and the company they outsourced this compilation to. Until then, I'll just continue playing my Genesis carts.[/quote]
You make it seem like the compilation is filled with garbage titles. If you want a Sonic compilation, there are plenty to choose from that have lock-on technology. Considering the games that are available, it's a real steal at $30. Hell, you're making it seem like the games received poor ports just by basing it on the fact that there's no lock-on for S3&K.

Hey which one of these Sega Collections also included Sonic CD? And why do so many of them exclude Sonic CD? Great collection nonetheless. Streets of Rage and Shining Force!

[quote name='YawnAmuroYawn']Hey which one of these Sega Collections also included Sonic CD? And why do so many of them exclude Sonic CD? Great collection nonetheless. Streets of Rage and Shining Force![/quote]

The Sonic Gems Collection had Sonic CD. I'd say it's not in this one because it's not on Genesis, but that's obviously not a criterion for the unlockables.

I think people are getting way too hung up on this S3&K thing. It wasn't that great, I always preferred Sonic 2 TBH.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Tsukento']

[/quote]

Yes, and more often than not those ports suck compared to the DC originals.

Especially the 2 titles I quoted.

[quote name='IronsideGrunt']I

STAR CONTROL 2

STAR FLIGHT

[/quote]

Star Control 2 has been released under some sort of open-source license, so I think it can't be sold for profit. I sometimes play the free port (ur quan masters) on my mac and it's fun.

[quote name='Tsukento']ChuChu Rocket! - Game Boy Advance
Dead or Alive 2 - PlayStation 2 and Xbox
Ecco the Dolphin - PlayStation 2
Evolution - GameCube
Evolution 2 - GameCube
Grandia II - PlayStation 2
House of the Dead 2 - Wii
Ikaruga - GameCube and Xbox Live Arcade
Phantasy Star Online - GameCube and Xbox
Power Stone - PSP
Power Stone 2 - PSP
Samba de Amigo - Wii
Samba de Amigo Ver. 2000 - Wii
Shenmue II - Xbox
Skies of Arcadia - GameCube
Sonic Adventure - GameCube
Sonic Adventure 2 - GameCube
Soul Calibur - Xbox Live Arcade
Space Channel 5 - PlayStation 2
Street Fighter III - PlayStation 2

You make it seem like the compilation is filled with garbage titles. If you want a Sonic compilation, there are plenty to choose from that have lock-on technology. Considering the games that are available, it's a real steal at $30. Hell, you're making it seem like the games received poor ports just by basing it on the fact that there's no lock-on for S3&K.[/quote]

How do you not see that not having lock-on is a huge deal? It's called SONIC COLLECTION. It should have the best Sonic game, shouldn't it? And the whole reason for buying this thing instead of the older ones (or the roms) is that it has 720p upscaling. This thing is a failure in my eyes.

bread's done
Back