Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection Announced

The Mana Knight

CAGiversary!
Feedback
41 (100%)
THE LARGEST SEGA GENESIS COLLECTION TO DATE!

Take a trip back in time with over 40 titles from the SEGA Genesis® era, including your Sonic The Hedgehog favorites, for only $29.95! In classic single-player and multiplayer battles, you’ll take down a huge variety of enemies, including Sonic’s nemesis Dr. Eggman (AKA Dr. Robotnik), shuriken-flinging ninjas, hordes of altered beasts and the world’s greatest fighting champions.

FEATURES:

• THE LARGEST COLLECTION OF CLASSIC SEGA TITLES. All the favorites are here including Sonic The Hedgehog, four titles from the Phantasy Star™ series, as well as three titles from the Streets of Rage™ series, to name a few.

• UNLOCKABLE CONTENT. Unlock arcade games and interviews with the original game developers as you earn Achievements on the Xbox 360® and Trophies on the PLAYSTATION®3.

• ALL TITLES UPGRADED TO HI-DEF. The classic 2D style never looked so good! Each of the titles has been converted to hi-def (720p) and will be a blast to play using the intuitive controls of the Xbox 360® and PLAYSTATION®3 systems.

• MASSIVE MULTIPLAYER OPTIONS. Play these classics together with a friend from the same console at home.

GAMES INCLUDE:

Alex Kidd in the Enchanted Castle
Alien Storm
Altered Beast
Beyond Oasis
Bonanza Bros.
Columns
Comix Zone
Decap Attack starring Chuck D. Head
Dr. Robotnik's MBM
Dynamite Headdy
Ecco the Dolphin
Ecco II: The Tides of Time
E-SWAT
Fatal Labyrinth
Flicky
Gain Ground
Golden Axe I
Golden Axe II
Golden Axe III
Kid Chameleon
Phantasy Star II
Phantasy Star III: Generations of Doom
Phantasy Star IV: The End of the Millennium
Ristar
Shining in the Darkness
Shining Force
Shining Force 2
Shinobi III: Return of the Ninja Master
Sonic 3D Blast
Sonic and Knuckles
Sonic Spinball
Sonic the Hedgehog
Sonic the Hedgehog 2
Sonic the Hedgehog 3
Streets of Rage
Streets of Rage 2
Streets of Rage 3
Super Thunder Blade
Vectorman
Vectorman 2

*Unlockable games to be revealed soon!
http://www.sega.com/games/?g=577

Since I recently sold my last gen copies of these games, I'm actually pretty excited about this. :D I dunno how trophies would be handled for this (since it would come in 2009). I'm kind of surprised since I never thought we'd see a classical compilation like this on PS3.

Although some would prefer download, I doubt they'd be anywhere near as cheap.

I was wondering about this since EB/GameStop listed it for a while:
http://www.ebgames.com/Catalog/ProductDetails.aspx?product_id=72743 (2/10)

This looks awesome. Definitely a buy for $30.

[quote name='guyver2077']Sonic's ultimate genesis collection?[/quote]

Correct.

I think I might pass since the game's have the HORRID HORRID HORRID Visual Filter (with no option to turn it off) that have plagued many XBLA releases so far.

I wish Sega would stop recycling some of the titles on this list as they are pure crap (Flicky, Bonanza Bros., Sonic 3D-Blast) but I am definitely happy to see the Streets of Rage series on this compilation. I'm in.

Glad I didn't cave in and buy Streets of Rage 2 on VC a couple days ago when I was jonesing for a beat-em-up. I'll definitely get this.

[quote name='Ryuukishi']So what's new on this disc that hasn't appeared on Sega's various compilations for PS2 and PSP?[/QUOTE]Shining games for sure. I never owned Shining Force II.

I'm excited because I ditched my PS2 version of Sonic Mega Collection and PSP version of Sega Classics hoping for this (since I saw it mentioned at EB/GameStop). I just rather play these games with trophies and being able to send messages in-game.

Only thing I'm upset about is buying SoR2 on XBLA.

So Sega is basically telling that was expecting the Streets of Rage games in Sonic Gems Collection to buy this one now.

Except for a few, seems like all they did was merge the Sonic Mega Collection & Sega Genesis Collection games and expect to make a quick buck. Might actually work too, since 40GB users have no way to play those two collection games. I wouldn't be surprised to see the Game Gear Sonic games as unlockables.

Problem with this collection is that it will probably be like the Genesis Collection and be emulation. For those who didn't play that collection, the sound was strangely not working right and there were graphical glitches abound. Hopefully Sega will fix the problem this time around.

Oh and those questioning the title. It could be worse, it's being released in Europe as "Sega Mega Drive Ultimate Collection". If that's any hint, don't expect Sonic CD or anything other Sega CD game in the collection.

I heard about a Sonic collection coming to the PS3 from gamefaqs (release list and forum) however I didn't know it was going to be for genesis titiles, I though it was going to be all sonic titles.

[quote name='Ice2Dragon']Why no phantasy star 1???[/QUOTE]Because it's not Sega Genesis (It was a Master System game). This is intended to be like the Sega Genesis Collection next gen (that they released last gen).

[quote name='KingBroly']Guys, it forces the horrible Visual Filter. Come on, that's not cool.[/QUOTE]

what's the visual filter?

If they gave Sonic the full HD treatment and overhaul ala Bionic Commando, I'd be in. Otherwise pass.

[quote name='KingBroly']Guys, it forces the horrible Visual Filter. Come on, that's not cool.[/QUOTE]

I agree but it's cooler than paying $8 a game on the VC. Besides, it might be something you can turn on and off.

I have to admit that I'm pleasantly surprised about this. I thought for sure with downloadable content being pushed, that we would never see a compliation disc again.

[quote name='The Mana Knight']It's strange because I actually don't mind the filter like everyone else.[/quote]

[quote name='depascal22']I'm also cool with the filter. It doesn't look that bad.[/quote]

Same here... it still looks good to me. ;)

The filter is not a dealbreaker for me but more options = more better so I'm hoping I can get rid of it.

I feel bad for my Wii. I'm totally not buying any of the SoR games or Shining Force II on there now.

Oh Sega, we told you years ago she was dead, but you just keep on fucking her.

:lol:

As CAGs resident Segaphile, I have to pick this up. I am still ashamed that I don't own a copy of Shining Force 2 when it really is my favorite game of all time. And as a CAG, I can't help but pee myself over getting $200 worth of games for $30.

I will definitely be picking this up for 360! Was tempted to buy the Sonic games plus Golden Axe on XBLA, but I'm glad I waited. Sweet!

P.S. I know this is the PS3 forum, but there was no where else to post my excitement! :)

Day one purchase. Don't care about the filter but I really hope (though it's looking doubtful) these things have online play. I don't care how basic and bare bones it is, I just wanna play Streets of Rage 3 with friends online since we have a blast with part 2 on Live.

I think it's possible that Phantasy Star 1 will be an unlockable title since there was a Mega Drive port in Japan and they could always just use the translation that was in the GBA version of PS1 (or the the original Master System version).

That being said where the hell is Revenge of Shinobi? At one point that game, Golden Axe and Sonic 1 were in EVERY Genesis compilation, now it's nowhere to be seen. I'm guessing it's because of copyright issues?

bread's done
Back