Sony Blackballs Kotaku (update: unblackballed!)

[quote name='Scrubking']2. This is nothing more than Sony trying to get back at people that don't lick their ass. Sony blew a cork and had enough of the bashing and this is the result. Other sites better watch out because they might be next if they don't parot Sony's PR lines.[/quote]
Well fuck Sony then. If nobody gives them press time, how much do you think it'll help them out? It's not like everyone isn't already happy with Microsoft and the 360.

[quote name='furyk']I like Kotaku but this is a retarded move by them. They burned a bridge posting "a rumor" that they knew would piss off Sony. Furthermore, Sony has been pretty nice to Kotaku considering what Kotaku consistently writes about Sony. Kotaku was tweaking Sony and Sony bit back. Kotaku deserved what happened to them because they violated Sony's trust.

This isn't a freedom of the press thing either by the way. Sony was making Kotaku's life easier by giving them a heads up on what they were doing at GDC. Kotaku took that favor and turned around and threw it back in Sony's face. Kotaku pulling this "you're trampling on the 1st Amendment" that they imply at the end of their post is, quite frankly, insulting to anyone who considers themselves a journalist.[/quote]

no doubt they burned the bridge, but I haven't seen anything to support your comments that sony gave them the heads up and that kotaku threw it back in there face...last i checked the original article said kotaku contacted sony to confirm the story...MAYBE someone within sony gave them the heads up, but that is exactly what happened to cheapy with the partnernet video..some 3rd party gave him the info..it isn't a 1st amendment right issue, as the gov't is pulling the plug on them, a corporation is...but either way IMO, sony looks like the big loser, as they grossly over reacted

[quote name='furyk']That's not the point. Kotaku played the little kid who peaks at his mom wrapping presents and then tells his little sister what she's getting. Sure, he doesn't get to play with the shit ahead of time, but he still steals some of the fun for Christmas for others. Keynotes are all about hype rather then content and Sony's steak has a lot less sizzle now.[/QUOTE]So, Sony are the parents of media outlets?

[quote name='jmcc']No, it's Sony not having control over their own constituents and taking it out on a third party.[/QUOTE]

The third party and the constituent are the same thing in this case in my opinion. My guess is that all of the major outlets know what Sony is doing and that Kotaku was given this directly, didn't sign a NDC because it's a shitty thing to do to have a blogger sign an NDC, and Sony got burned by Kotaku for not going by the numbers with "new" media.

[quote name='furyk']That's not the point. Kotaku played the little kid who peaks at his mom wrapping presents and then tells his little sister what she's getting. Sure, he doesn't get to play with the shit ahead of time, but he still steals some of the fun for Christmas for others. Keynotes are all about hype rather then content and Sony's steak has a lot less sizzle now.[/quote]

no, in your story, kotaku would be the sister...as someone had to tell kotaku the story and considering that they called sony for confirmation, I highly doubt that sony gave them a heads up about it.

[quote name='furyk']The third party and the constituent are the same thing in this case in my opinion. My guess is that all of the major outlets know what Sony is doing and that Kotaku was given this directly, didn't sign a NDC because it's a shitty thing to do to have a blogger sign an NDC, and Sony got burned by Kotaku for not going by the numbers with "new" media.[/quote]

your guessing..if that was the case, then why in kotaku original article did they call to get confirmation from sony, if sony gave them the information, then why the fuck would they need to confirm it

[quote name='TimPV3']Sony: Hey guys, we'd really like for you to pull that story, I mean, you just totally BLEW the whole surprise at GDC.
Kotaku: We didn't get it from you guys, somebody else told us.
Sony: But still, now everybody knows. Come on, PLEEEAAASE take this down, we'd really appreciate it!
Kotaku: No.
Sony: Oh come on! You guys better pull it before we count to three, or you're cut off. 1...2...2 1/2...2 3/4...
Kotaku:...
Sony: fuck... fine, have it your way.[/QUOTE]

*1 month later*

Kotaku: Hay Sony, sup bros. Can we get some info on--
Sony: No.
Kotaku: well, you see all the hype and notoriety from when we broke that last story wore off and now we could use some--
Sony: No.

Kotaku traded one flavor of the month article for all their Sony resources. Journalism is guided by its own politics. There are situations when you print something against someone's will, but most of the time, people are expected to keep professional relationships with their contacts. If sony's machine was powered by dead babies and they didn't want anyone to know-- that's a good time to break a story. This wasn't.

It won't matter in a year that they broke the story or that Sony cut them off (though no one seems to notice that they had no obligation to a blog that caters to a marginal amount of their fanbase in the first place.)

Next time when Sony PR comes around to give sites info, Kotaku will be linking to another site with the story (i.e. leeching) instead of breaking it themselves.

Say I'm siding with the man or whatever, but these are the facts. I hope Kotaku feels it was worth the price. I don't feel that corporations should have complete control, but there are times when you need to pick your battles..

[quote name='jmcc']So, Sony are the parents of media outlets?[/QUOTE]

In a sense, yes. They're the ones that are the bread and butter of media outlets. Gaming blogs and magazines don't exist without, you know, games.

[quote name='ryanbph']your guessing..if that was the case, then why in kotaku original article did they call to get confirmation from sony, if sony gave them the information, then why the fuck would they need to confirm it[/QUOTE]

They called Sony so they could remove the "Rumor" from the title of the thread they posted out of it. Even if they were calling after getting it from a third party, this still strikes me as Kotaku tweaking Sony. And yes, I am guessing. Thank you for pointing out what I said and screaming OMG URE MAKIN THIS UP!!111 It's what people do on message boards. They speculate. If Kotaku didn't have the information and were calling to just confirm a rumor, I believe the reaction would be more scaled.

[quote name='argyle']Sony asked them, very nicely it would appear, not to run the story. This isn't a case of Sony bullying a blog, this is a case of a blog blatantly disregarding what was asked of them. Heck, it's not like the little guys are the only ones who have to respect this kind of thing - big sites, like IGN & Gamespot, are constantly told when they can reveal certain information & when they can't.

If Kotaku wants to be a legitimate news source, they should start acting like one.[/QUOTE]

exactly, and how convenient that Kotaku publishes an email naming a person even that wasn't responsible journalism at all

they called what they thought was Sony bluffing and now are acting like a kid after he's told he's grounded

Oh yeah real journalism never calls to confirm things...your idea of tweaking is a little fucked up...they were just doing there job...I am not saying that they should or shouldn't have ran the story, but from the very little facts that we have at this time from kotaku, it is tough to find them at fault and sony doing the right thing. The only way imo that one could come to that decision is someone that is a sony apologist. From the info we have been given, kotaku got the info and tried to coroberate it...sony asked them to hold on the story, and kotaku ran it...sony then blacklist kotaku...Kotaku was in no agreement with sony to not publish this story. Kotaku may/may not have been dicks about it, but last i checked message boards are where people go to comment on rumors...ie when cheapass broke the story on some nintendo item (i think it was a price reduction)...nintendo didn't tell cheapy not to come to there next e3 press conference...the original article goes on to state that sony nor other game developers would confirm/ knew anything about it. So how did kotaku tweak sony or how were they in the wrong, besides not pulling a story at the bequest of sony.

And no other websites have complained about someone and given out the email addr...is it right, no, but numerous gaming podcasts and websites give out emails for there fans to email and bitch about what ever the complaint was...how about who gave out jack thompson email addr was that right...doesn't make a difference if you agree/disagree with him, it was the same thing

[quote name='ryanbph']The only way imo that one could come to that decision is someone that is a sony apologist[/quote]

Bingo.

[quote name='ryanbph']Oh yeah real journalism never calls to confirm things...your idea of tweaking is a little fucked up...they were just doing there job...I am not saying that they should or shouldn't have ran the story, but from the very little facts that we have at this time from kotaku, it is tough to find them at fault and sony doing the right thing. The only way imo that one could come to that decision is someone that is a sony apologist[/QUOTE]

Have you read Kotaku sir? There's a reason why Kotaku is perceived as having an anti-Sony bias. Like I said earlier, I like Kotaku, but I can understand what Sony did. Sony issued an ultimatum to Kotaku and Kotaku refused to bury a story I think they knew ahead of time to be true. I believe that if Kotaku didn't have hard information from Sony ahead of time, Sony wouldn't have reacted so strongly. It comes off to me that Kotaku either posted the info they got from Sony as "rumor" or someone else did give it to them ahead of time and they said "well we heard it from someone else, so we have every right to post this as 'rumor' ".

On a different note, it was completely classless to post the PR guy's e-mail.

Edit: And since when am I a Sony apologist when I say "I can understand Sony's reasoning"? If anything, I'm as big a Nintendo fanboy as there is on here.

i barely look at kotaku, maybe 2 x a week...last i checked most gaming news/blog outlets have been anti sony...personally i don't care about the rumor, sony, or kotaku, it is imo wrong to think that kotaku made the majority of mistakes (minus the pr guy email) and that sony fans would rejoice of the banning of a gaming news/blog site from sony events as being a good thing. They can say whatever they want, it is there opinion. It is the sony's PR guys job to control the rumors. Or how about the new E3, with it more controlling over who is allowed to go to it. Would cag members be happy if cheapy doesn't get invited, as is this website a real press site? From the tidbidts of info on the 1up show, that every developer can have x (iirc it was ) 3 journalist that would be allowed to come...I enjoyed getting some e3 perspective from cheapy. The game companies have started to be more controlling of the media...they should just shut the fuck up, and don't release any info untill it is ready to be shown...

Sony asked them not to run it, Kotaku did, and now they have to pay the price. Kotaku's fault, and I'm not sure why anyone goes there for 'news.'

[quote name='evilmax17']http://kotaku.com/gaming/sony/sony-and-kotaku-makeup-240922.php[/quote] Good ending to the story, I say. Props to Dave Karraker.

Frankly I'm not sure how anyone thought this would really hurt Kotaku if it continued. Everyone bashes them for not being real "news," and simply copying stuff from other blogs... if they were blackballed by Sony, then I guess any Sony news could just be copied from other blogs. Big loss on a few "original" items.

Cheapy dug the article on Digg.com so I have a feeling I won't be listening to the next CAGcast because there will probably be sony bashing

[quote name='CocheseUGA']Sony asked them not to run it, Kotaku did, and now they have to pay the price. Kotaku's fault, and I'm not sure why anyone goes there for 'news.'[/QUOTE]

exactly this is how not just journalism but life itself works, there is always tit for tat

no "blog" has the right to the inside info from Sony that's all Sony has done is cut out Kotaku which they have every right to do and Kotaku hasn't exactly ever even been fair with their "reporting" in the past they are a biased blog

[quote name='ryanbph']looks like giving out the pr guys email worked for kotaku, while I don't condone how they did it, it did work.[/QUOTE]

furthers my view that Kotaku are not professionals

[quote name='ryanbph']i barely look at kotaku, maybe 2 x a week...last i checked most gaming news/blog outlets have been anti sony...personally i don't care about the rumor, sony, or kotaku, it is imo wrong to think that kotaku made the majority of mistakes (minus the pr guy email) and that sony fans would rejoice of the banning of a gaming news/blog site from sony events as being a good thing. They can say whatever they want, it is there opinion. It is the sony's PR guys job to control the rumors. Or how about the new E3, with it more controlling over who is allowed to go to it. Would cag members be happy if cheapy doesn't get invited, as is this website a real press site? From the tidbidts of info on the 1up show, that every developer can have x (iirc it was ) 3 journalist that would be allowed to come...I enjoyed getting some e3 perspective from cheapy. The game companies have started to be more controlling of the media...they should just shut the fuck up, and don't release any info untill it is ready to be shown...[/QUOTE]

Fair enough. I think this is going to be a agree to disagree situation. Honestly, I think the new E3 is a better enviorment for journalists now that we don't have 50000 Best Buy and EB assistant managers coming to clog the lines. Also, everyone tries to control the media or have we forgotten the most awarded magazine of last year and the one that reaches the most readers is owned by Gamestop? I honestly would rather have the people making a game trying to say their shit doesn't stink rather then the people selling the game saying this shit is fantastic. Again, personal preference.

Edit: And Kotaku wins after Sony has their double bluff called.

[quote name='ahmedmalik']Sony did the smart thing.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, best way to make up, and it was prompt as well.

[quote name='guyver2077']dont know if i can say that kotaku made the wise and professional choise[/quote]

surely not a professional choice, but at least taking a stand. I'm curious as to where this will take other bloggers......

[quote name='CheapyD']Frankly, it is a pretty shocking story.
Sony really doesn't understand the internet at all and couldn't have handled this any more poorly. Looks like we've got a great topic to talk about for next week's show.

Support Kotaku and digg this story![/quote]

Then I hope one of you actually comes correct and sides with Sony, as it's the logical thing to do. Sony didn't want their big event ruined and kindly asked Kotaku to not run the story. Both companies are in a business relationship, one that appears to have only been threatened by this proposed posting of this story. Since the gaming industy is your life and you you have to keep tabs on such gaming sites, I sure you'll vouch for the fact that there hasn't been a lot of positive Sony info, news, or rumors posted on Kotaku. This is, compared to Microsoft and Nintendo.

For Kotaku to be so damn stupid and spit in Sony's face by disagreeing with Sony's simple request in mindboggoling. I've seen a lot of crap about their journalistic integrity been underfire if they didn't run this story, but does that give them free reign to ruin Sony's event?

Did you not have a similar situation with Xbox Live debug systems or something like that? You wen't ahead and posted something, well becaue you can post it, but you know that are consequences and while they're weren't severe, you know there's a line that has to be watched or you'll get bitten in the ass. Do the right thing or do the wrong thing, but don't ask me to feel sorry for you [Kotaku] when you're crying in the aftermath of doing the wrong thing.

[quote name='crazytalkx']Yeah, best way to make up, and it was prompt as well.[/quote]

Some people were expecting Sony to come around sometime tomorrow. Personally though, I didn't see it happening and I'm glad to say that I was wrong.

[quote name='HERETOSTAY']For Kotaku to be so damn stupid and spit in Sony's face by disagreeing with Sony's simple request in mindboggoling. I've seen a lot of crap about their journalistic integrity been underfire if they didn't run this story, but does that give them free reign to ruin Sony's event?[/quote]
Don't be ignorant. Kotaku had no embargo signed with Sony. I'm sure they have plenty of embargos signed with a number of companies and they've stuck true to them. In this case they were reporting on a rumor and Sony went apeshit and it cost them. Luckily, they made the right move and made amends with Kotaku. Even more, they didn't ruin Sony's so called event. It's not like people are going to go be any less excited if the story does hold water. For the time though, remember it's only a rumor. :booty:

[quote name='jmcc']Looks like Sony was wrong and admitted to it, huh?[/QUOTE]

I don't see a single thing in their post that says anything like that.

but sure, anything can be spun in any direction these days, so why not?

[quote name='Apossum']I don't see a single thing in their post that says anything like that.

but sure, anything can be spun in any direction these days, so why not?[/QUOTE]Yeah, I don't guess doing a total 180 means anything.

[quote name='Apossum']I don't see a single thing in their post that says anything like that.

but sure, anything can be spun in any direction these days, so why not?[/QUOTE]

this entire drama was spun by Kotaku to begin with, every other article about it links back to them and they probably got a ton of hits from this too

Kotaku gets no benefit of the doubt from me personally. Blogs are the ronins of game news no matter how you cut it. People either love them or hate them for it. I myself am not a fan, though I visit from time to time.

I don't believe Kotaku should've kept said rumor posting up after Sony tried to be professional about it. The difference is game blogs are NOT professional. They answer to no one -- no matter how big they are (Kotaku, of course, being one of the biggest). As a professional game journalist, my perspective may be a little skewed, but it's the only perspective I have. No sir, I don't like it.

[quote name='jmcc']Yeah, I don't guess doing a total 180 means anything.[/QUOTE]

sorry, I just don't see things that aren't there. yeah, Sony did 180 and that might mean something if you twist around the whole story against them. as it is, we don't know what actually happened in their proceedings. rather, we only have one side of the story. Maybe Kotaku apologized profusely and begged for mercy? it's just as plausible. I doubt one went crawling back to the other though.

Don't mess with me...I've seen Rashomon! :eek:

Kotaku found out some upcoming info.
Checked it.
Posted about it as a Rumor.
Sony noticed, didnt like the info posted, sent a lame cease or lose your debug unit letter.
Kotaku posted the info, since they are a site about (get this) video games and all that it entails.
Sony sends new letter, saying that theier hands are forced and that no one is invited to GDC/reclamation of the debug unit.
Internet/Blog-o-sphere/me and a couple of customers at the time exploded in an uproar.
Sony says "Well, we still think your an ass, but we dont want to look any dumber. Come to GDC, yay."

Anything im missing? Im pretty sure kissing Sony's ass isnt supposed to be listed, so I left that off.

[quote name='Apossum']sorry, I just don't see things that aren't there. yeah, Sony did 180 and that might mean something if you twist around the whole story against them. as it is, we don't know what actually happened in their proceedings. rather, we only have one side of the story. Maybe Kotaku apologized profusely and begged for mercy? it's just as plausible. I doubt one went crawling back to the other though.

Don't mess with me...I've seen Rashomon! :eek:[/QUOTE]Well, allow me to break it down in a little chartish thing.

Kotaku's problem: Sony pulled support from them for running a story.
Sony's problem: Kotaku ran a story.

The resolution: Sony's lifted their blackout against Kotaku. Kotaku still has the story up.

Would you say those are about the facts we know for sure at this point?

crappy journalism, crappy uber corporation entertainment division...

yup, looks like a "you can't shine shit" situation all around.

Let's say a site gets some info on the new Black 360. They,

1) writeup a story about the info

2) Ask Microsoft for comment. At which point MS says
- a) "That info is true"
- b) "No comment" (about 99% more likely)

3) Website runs the story, including MS's comment.

This is how it's always done.

Now imagine Microsoft saying "Don't run that story or we'll run you and your site into the ground!" That would be crazy! And that's what Sony tried to do. Instead of accepting that the story was leaked and there was nothing they can do about it.

Anyone who says that Sony did nothing wrong is delusional. Kotaku made the right choice, as shown by Sony stepping down on their outrageous demands.

I think this whole rumor has gotten more publicity because of this whole blackball thing. Hell, a lot of us wouldn't have even taken the time to read that story if Sony didn't react the way they did. Victory for both Sony and Kotaku if you ask me.

[quote name='shipwreck']I think this whole rumor has gotten more publicity because of this whole blackball thing. Hell, a lot of us wouldn't have even taken the time to read that story if Sony didn't react the way they did. Victory for both Sony and Kotaku if you ask me.[/QUOTE]
Bingo. I never would have spent more than 30 seconds giving though to the topic at hand, but Sony pushed it into my consciousness by trying to take their ball and go home.

I would not give a crap if Kotaku was shut down two hours from now and I have to ask why the hell I should support a gaming blog that wants to act like real journalists? Probably only about 60% of their "scoops" have some shread of truth to them and even when they get something right it has more than enough bias and/or false info in it.

Still, if I was Sony I would've let it go and not overreact too much though, as half the crap blogs like Kotaku and Joystiq put up usually end up being BS in some form anyhow it wouldn't been simple enough to pass off as some whacked out rumor for a couple days.

the whole apology post reads like a, "dear diary, today i got my period and let johnny get to 2nd base". please. nobody wants to hear about how you feel about the superficial drama you brought upon yourself by thinking you were scooping super important news stories about sony and their upcoming products. /removes kotaku feed from rss

on another note, how would this play out if you were to replace Sony with Apple. you think steve jobs would send in a squad of lawyers to deliver the cease and desist?

[quote name='shipwreck']I think this whole rumor has gotten more publicity because of this whole blackball thing. Hell, a lot of us wouldn't have even taken the time to read that story if Sony didn't react the way they did. Victory for both Sony and Kotaku if you ask me.[/quote]

Interesting point.

I think Sony is silly for getting so upset. Kotaku did the right thing by trying to confirm the rumor to begin with.

I do public relations for the Air Force, and people are constantly printing rumors or false information about us. However, we handle these instances very differently than how Sony did. Instead of turning our backs on these media outlets, we work with them to correct the information or do our very best to release whatever information we can that is unclassified.

I just can't imagine blacklisting a media outlet unless they continually to break the already agreed upon rules of engagement.

After reading about this issue at numerous places, I've learned one thing: how much hatred a lot of the gaming community seems to have for Kotaku. What gives?

bread's done
Back