Sony Blackballs Kotaku (update: unblackballed!)

[quote name='ahmedmalik']
Additionally, Kotaku didn't whine. They posted the e-mail and walked away. Everyone else got pissed off and when Sony found out, they called up Crecente to work things over. They agreed to disagree like adults and everything worked out. [/QUOTE]

I don't believe for a second that wasn't the entire point of posting the email.

[quote name='ahmedmalik']In some circles that's called selling out. I'd rather be a douchebag with my intergrity in tact than you.[/QUOTE]

How are you enjoying the foot wedged violently up your mouth?

Kotaku has completely thrown any shred of "integrity" out the window by insta-agreeing to jump back into bed with a source that allegedly threatened them, that is selling out in a major way. They were not taking a "stand" for journalism, they briefly forgot that they are the game industry's bitches, tried to drive hits to their site, and got smacked across the face for it. Then they whined a little bit, posted some private e-mails (with the addresses intact, how unprofessional is that), and Sony let them off the hook (probably the dumbest decision of the day).

Kotaku NEEDS Sony to keep viewership up and Sony LIKES Kotaku to keep sales up. Kotaku forgot their role in the agreement and got burned for it, end of story.

[quote name='ahmedmalik']And what would have happened if Sony did sue Kotaku? Think about that smart guy. It would have been worse than Lik-Sang for Sony.

Additionally, Kotaku didn't whine. They posted the e-mail and walked away. Everyone else got pissed off and when Sony found out, they called up Crecente to work things over. They agreed to disagree like adults and everything worked out.

The silliness you're spouting doesn't even begin to make any sense.

You're a dipshit.[/QUOTE]

Actually the act of posting the letter publicly is a form of whining and brining out what should have been settled between Sony and Kotaku in private. Basically Kotaku wasn't getting thier way so they decided to whine to the mindless public for support, which is what eventually happened in the end.
And nobody gives a crap about Lik-Sang or the fact that Sony Sued them. The whole fact that Lik Sang didn't even bother showing up at court doesn't exactly make them innocent in the whole matter.

From your posts you obviously haven't done any research into the whole topic and the reason for similar suits is for publications to reveal thier sources from people who break the NDA. Like I said before anyway the outcome is irrelivant and Companies do it all the time like Apple, but people still love them anyway.

Kotaku used to know it's place back in the day. They actually had decent posts and were worth checking out. Ever since one of thier bitch boys got a gig at the rocky mountain news they've constantly tried to play a role as a "credible news source" which is just plain sensationalist bullshit. In the end all these bloggers are doing is jumping on the gang train with constant media bashing on whatever is hip and cool to do (hence all the excessive anti-Sony Press coverage and skew) in order to simply get more clicks for advertising. and boy does it work on the moronic masses (or people who don't bother using Adblock to block all of the Ads). However Kotaku obviously does make exceptions to this rule whenever they get some "perks" from whatever company decides to hand them a "gift" or such.
Suddenly the whole thing turns upsidedown.

In the end Kotaku and Joystiq should all be Blackballed just like Fox News from the Obama campaign. The only difference is that people who actually take the time to watch fox news have already made thier opinions.

[quote name='Zoglog']Actually the act of posting the letter publicly is a form of whining and brining out what should have been settled between Sony and Kotaku in private. Basically Kotaku wasn't getting thier way so they decided to whine to the mindless public for support, which is what eventually happened in the end.
And nobody gives a crap about Lik-Sang or the fact that Sony Sued them. The whole fact that Lik Sang didn't even bother showing up at court doesn't exactly make them innocent in the whole matter.

From your posts you obviously haven't done any research into the whole topic and the reason for similar suits is for publications to reveal thier sources from people who break the NDA. Like I said before anyway the outcome is irrelivant and Companies do it all the time like Apple, but people still love them anyway.

Kotaku used to know it's place back in the day. They actually had decent posts and were worth checking out. Ever since one of thier bitch boys got a gig at the rocky mountain news they've constantly tried to play a role as a "credible news source" which is just plain sensationalist bullshit. In the end all these bloggers are doing is jumping on the gang train with constant media bashing on whatever is hip and cool to do (hence all the excessive anti-Sony Press coverage and skew) in order to simply get more clicks for advertising. and boy does it work on the moronic masses (or people who don't bother using Adblock to block all of the Ads). However Kotaku obviously does make exceptions to this rule whenever they get some "perks" from whatever company decides to hand them a "gift" or such.
Suddenly the whole thing turns upsidedown.

In the end Kotaku and Joystiq should all be Blackballed just like Fox News from the Obama campaign. The only difference is that people who actually take the time to watch fox news have already made thier opinions.[/quote]
If you don't think Sony deserves all the bad press they've gotten, you're out of your mind. More likely, however looking at some of your other posts, you're simply disagreeing for the sake of disagreement.

[quote name='jmcc']Well, allow me to break it down in a little chartish thing.

Kotaku's problem: Sony pulled support from them for running a story.
Sony's problem: Kotaku ran a story.

The resolution: Sony's lifted their blackout against Kotaku. Kotaku still has the story up.

Would you say those are about the facts we know for sure at this point?[/QUOTE]

Yep, those were the facts we knew (sorry, haven't read this trainwreck since.)

How about another fact-- Kotaku depends on Sony for information and previews with their debug unit.

But sure, why not-- brave valiant Kotaku, upkeepers of journalistic integrity, fought bare knuckled against the evil zaibatsu, and won! The David vs. Goliath feelgood story of the year, score one for the underdog! Yeah, that fits my worldview, so it must be true! :roll:

[quote name='ahmedmalik']If you don't think Sony deserves all the bad press they've gotten, you're out of your mind. More likely, however looking at some of your other posts, you're simply disagreeing for the sake of disagreement.[/QUOTE]

I didn't say anywhere that Sony doesn't deserve some bad press. All i've said (in the past? are you a stalker?) Is that it's become such a trend to be a Sony basher consistently that it's become tired and people bitching over things that are greatly over exaggerated. And since people like to jump on the bandwagon, it's become quite popular and good for ad click revenue. Because in the end that's all Kotaku cares about. Journalistic integrity means shit to them.

There's a misconception here in what they're trying to be. A blog like Siliconera is more of what Kotaku used to be and is far better and more focused. Basically Kotaku's turned into a shitpile.

[quote name='Apossum']Yep, those were the facts we knew (sorry, haven't read this trainwreck since.)

How about another fact-- Kotaku depends on Sony for information and previews with their debug unit.

But sure, why not-- brave valiant Kotaku, upkeepers of journalistic integrity, fought bare knuckled against the evil zaibatsu, and won! The David vs. Goliath feelgood story of the year, score one for the underdog! Yeah, that fits my worldview, so it must be true! :roll:[/quote]I'm not arguing one side or the other, but your statement of Kotaku depending on Sony just make the viewpoint opposite yours all the more valid/valiant. They wanted to report something, the company who "butters their bread" said no, but they felt it was important enough to defy and accept the consequences, which may have been dire for their livelihood. That's courageous (if not stupid) if I've ever heard it.

*shrug*

bread's done
Back